Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

1 hour ago, Half-full said:

Not just a Canadian loco, its prime mover is used in GM GP40, SD40, SD45 etc, thousands of those have been built in various forms and used around the world.  Quite a remarkable locomotive line really!

These locos have GM 645 variant engines while the Class 66 has a 710 variant which is a later model prime mover. The Class 59 has a 645 variant. 

7 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Rotating axle boxes have been about for a while on North American model locos. I have attached a video of my Scaletrains GE and if you look closely the boxes are rotating. But the key to this feature working successfully is clearance. You can see the hole in which it is rotating is noticeably larger than the box itself.  

It would be interesting to see the underside view with respect to the design of the axle-box cap and it's method of attachment to the axle itself. 

Al

I have a Scaletrains SD40-3 ( rebuilt SD40-2 for CSX with upgraded electronics and a square cab) I will compare the rotating axle boxes on this with my Hattons 66 tonight. Again a six axle locomotive so the same issues with the centre axles.

John

I have the Scaletrains SD40-3 and Hattons 66 in front of me now. The SD has long extended axles and the axle boxes have a deep hole which fits over the axle extension. A good clearance is provided on the side frames to allow the rotating axle box freedom of movement. Also, a packet of six spare axle boxes came with the loco. Difficult to get a photo which shows the axle extensions as they disappear into the side frames. Altogether a much superior arrangement. 

John

86F04D61-74BA-47E2-AB77-7EB365685202.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 19:34, NIRCLASS80 said:

Rotating axle boxes have been about for a while on North American model locos. I have attached a video of my Scaletrains GE and if you look closely the boxes are rotating. But the key to this feature working successfully is clearance. You can see the hole in which it is rotating is noticeably larger than the box itself.  

I got 6 spare axle boxes with my Scaletrains GE  ET44AC loco

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

One hopes the 66 model is given this arangement to sort out the issue while making it quick to build at the factory,if these have been around before the 66 it begs the question why not use what works,im looking forward to seeing how Dapols 59 is made.

This is something  I find rather odd: I'm led to believe there are a small number  (dozen?) of toy train design/manufacturing companies in China, who manufacture a good chuck of the world's demand for said items.  So you would think they would have an extensive design library of 'known good' parts (drivetrains, bogie designs etc.) that can be re-used  on new projects. 

Yet 'we' - as in the UK market in particular -  seem to have to endure all sorts of odd design compromises and strange mechanisms, I wonder why? Are some UK 'manufacturers' dealing with the Z-team not the A-team , due to low production volumes maybe?

As I've said before it must be no fun trying to micro-manage the output of somebody else's production line on the other side of the planet when your business isn't a significant proportion of their turnover, but even so there do seem to be rather a lot of avoidable problems.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

This is something  I find rather odd: I'm led to believe there are a small number  (dozen?) of toy train design/manufacturing companies in China, who manufacture a good chuck of the world's demand for said items.  So you would think they would have an extensive design library of 'known good' parts (drivetrains, bogie designs etc.) that can be re-used  on new projects. 

Yet 'we' - as in the UK market in particular -  seem to have to endure all sorts of odd design compromises and strange mechanisms, I wonder why? Are some UK 'manufacturers' dealing with the Z-team not the A-team , due to low production volumes maybe?

As I've said before it must be no fun trying to micro-manage the output of somebody else's production line on the other side of the planet when your business isn't a significant proportion of their turnover, but even so there do seem to be rather a lot of avoidable problems.

whilst media often suggests otherwise, copyright and respect of intellectual property does exist in China, especially between local competing companies.

Similarly HO and OO are different scales.

First time I saw rotating axle boxes was Proto 2000, back in the 1990’s, however going back further, first time I saw separately moulded working Springs  on a wheel within an axle was much more obtuse... it was Peco’s OO gauge Milk tank wagon, it must be 4 decades old now...

https://peco-uk.com/products/milk-tank-wagon-express-dairy

i’m surprised its still available, I was making these at school in the 1980’s.

The concept of separately moulded axle pieces certainly isnt new.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Same for me with 66780, must be working through them in code number order.

Was a surprise when I just saw the email as they didn't have an arrival date after the delay at the end of June. 

Yes i was surprised too - wasn't expecting it until the end of the year - Hatton's have also sent my order yesterday for the Cross Country HST so my bank account has took a hammering!!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

whilst media often suggests otherwise, copyright and respect of intellectual property does exist in China, especially between local competing companies.

Similarly HO and OO are different scales.

True, but that copyright/IPR might well belong to the design/manufacturing company, not the commissioning party; and I don't see why the scale is relevant, it's the dimensions that matter, and there's not going to be much difference in wheel back to back or overall bogie size between OO and HO (OK a different matter in terms of body size - but even then a small OO loco might well be a very similar size to a large HO one of similar design) 

Edited by spamcan61

Yep I have just been charged £300.

It is slightly annoying that they were meant to be here end of last month, delayed until October and then 4 weeks later they are here! It's a bit strange TBH.

I'd probably not have bought the NMT pack had I known this would be the case.

Although in reality I am glad they are here if all is well with them.

• Agree 1

Also Just hope they used more or a better glue and that the glues in the right places. Count myself very lucky that I applied some glue to the small steps on the ploughs on both my 66s as I just looked at one and it fell off

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 17.14.29.png

Edited by Triumph1050
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

44 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I guess we'll find out in a few days when they start to arrive.

I'd like 66746, partly as I took a photo of it leaving Middleton Towers on a sand train just over a couple of years ago, but will hang fire a month or so until feedback on this second batch reaches rm web...

P1060879_(2).JPG

Edited by WisTramwayMan
Poor grammar

just had my confirmation for Biffa and Cemex. I preordred for Christmas just had to do some serious grovelling as i bought Madge Elliot last week £450 this month just hope these two dont fall apart like Madge did 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

True, but that copyright/IPR might well belong to the design/manufacturing company, not the commissioning party; and I don't see why the scale is relevant, it's the dimensions that matter, and there's not going to be much difference in wheel back to back or overall bogie size between OO and HO (OK a different matter in terms of body size - but even then a small OO loco might well be a very similar size to a large HO one of similar design) 

Your missing the point... if they dont own the IP they cant use it, regardless of scale.

so ripping off an axlebox cover design isnt going to happen.

And HO scale GM co-co bogies are definitely smaller than OO scale GM bogies... I have a Heljan class 66 its a good bit shy in all dimensions to its OO counterpart.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit annoyed they are here now. I will have the funds available for when they were delayed until October. I don’t have the funds available now, so there’s a chance I’ll miss out. 

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

On 22/07/2020 at 21:25, Hilux5972 said:

A bit annoyed they are here now. I will have the funds available for when they were delayed until October. I don’t have the funds available now, so there’s a chance I’ll miss out. 

Exactly, rather annoying when manufacturers do this, especially when an announcement was made about the delay 

Edited by Class 158 productions
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

16 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Exactly, rather annoying when manufacturers do this, especially when an announcement was made about the delay 

You can always ask Hattons to pop the locos in their ‘Trunk’ facility until you have the funds to pay for them.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1