Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

28 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

That wouldn’t be so bad I guess, thought it would be more . Wonder if they have the space right now as air cargo has really taken off with covid 

.... I see what you did there :p

Edited by Br60066
spacing
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, Triumph1050 said:

a slightly wonky nameplate on one side.  

You might find you can straighten the nameplate as some found the glue used has a bit of give

Thanks I'll take a look at that later. 

Ive yet to run mine properly but a short test revealed it was a wobbly runner. I think it stems from No 2 end. I removed an axle box cover (it seemed to be a force fit on the axle stub as the end had flared out slightly) the axle stub looks the same size as the previous models. 

IMG_20200723_164508.jpg.6676b2ef2186a0eb025c7c17806f0175.jpg

Without going through the thread was superglue still the recommended adhesive from an owners perspective to refit the axlebox covers? 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

That wouldn’t be so bad I guess, thought it would be more . Wonder if they have the space right now as air cargo has really taken off with covid 

There is a "covid-19" premium currently being levied by the airfreight companies.

The amount depends on how fast you want it.

• Informative/Useful 2

So, as it stands at the point of being unrun.

Cemex Express is going back, not even going to bother chipping it, As One We Can is going to be chipped and run to see how it goes. Neither were perfect but Cemex has more wrong with it than I can be bothered with and is worse than any of the 3 I have had through my hands previously in terms of condition.

I am disappointed TBH, although ONE looks even better than I thought it would. I thought it would be the Cemex livery that I'd prefer.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I suspect the next time (if) Hattons go for an exclusive loco they will either go in cahoots with a manufacturer or be much more meticulous with their QC.....Fingers well and truly burnt with this loco which is a great shame. One of the most eagerly awaited models which has been a great let down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

So have just run in Biffa and Cemex. biffa derails alot and has lost two axleboxes. cemex runs perfect no axleboxes lost but suffers light bleed on cab roof and when opened had a broken bogie footstep.madge elliot is still droping axleboxes but runs perfect now i had the large logo one for christmas and was and still is perfect

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well got my Cemex today, and everything looked great, but....wow was it hard to get moving! It just didn't want to know, as if something was siezed. I don't have rolling road so put one bogie on a gaugemaster wheel cleaner and it started to go, but it was reluctant! Eventually got it running ok. The axle boxes seem very tight in the bogie frames and seem to have more glue than previous batch, so i wonder if that was part of the problem. been running it light loco, and think i will for a few days to make sure everything frees up and beds in well. Also had a wobble at first but this seems to get less the more you run it.

• Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, marshy said:

So have just run in Biffa and Cemex. biffa derails alot and has lost two axleboxes. cemex runs perfect no axleboxes lost but suffers light bleed on cab roof and when opened had a broken bogie footstep.madge elliot is still droping axleboxes but runs perfect now i had the large logo one for christmas and was and still is perfect

That gives me some reassurance as my Cemex also suffers from light bleed from the top headlight box and the centre console in the cab from the main day/night lighting board. 

I'll have to pop the body off again to paint the inside black but refitting the body worries me slightly as I removed it to fit sound and I can't get it to clip in fully on one side so it will need further investigation tomorrow. 

make sure the cabs are in right then use masking tape to secure detail parts in situe that way if they come of they will stick to the tape and not launch into oblivion mate if you persevere you will end up with the dogs dangles of a class 66 for all there faults they are superb  once sorted but 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, marshy said:

make sure the cabs are in right then use masking tape to secure detail parts in situe that way if they come of they will stick to the tape and not launch into oblivion mate if you persevere you will end up with the dogs dangles of a class 66 for all there faults they are superb  once sorted but 

Thanks I'll try those tomorrow.

When I first removed the body one cab step assembly was stuck to the chassis. I've been round the body and added glue to all the steps to prevent any popping off. Suffice to say the 15 minutes of faffing trying to seat the body tonight nothing has not come off again, only the white bits getting caught in the chassis. 

As a side note, because of all the previous issues with them I thought they would only be seated in a square recess but they were dovetail joints which is quite a novel idea I think. (Is this the same as the previous models?)

5 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

I think I'd have preferred the 6 month delay as they announced in June but to have the models here without issues.

I agree with your points on QC especially when your model was glued up and considering Hattons Dave stated there would be in house QC checks before models were despatched.

But the thing is we don't know and will never know exactly what caused the advertised delay or how long it was going to be for. "Late 2020" being the words from the email I received. 

20 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

I'm not one to moan because I appreciate Hattons going to the trouble of designing these and doing generally excellent job, but I have just put my pink 'One' livery model on the track to find that 3 axel boxes have so much glue on them that they are actually glued to the bogie which they are supposed to be rotating in so the model wont move, its shocking quality control and its not good enough. These are premium ready to run models but it seems that very few are actually ready to run. I have managed to prise them out so that I can get it moving, but now I need to get some more so I can finish it off. I've been working hard recently and was going to treat myself to a Cemex one too, but I'm gonna put that plan on hold for now until more people have shared their experiences. I think I'd have preferred the 6 month delay as they announced in June but to have the models here without issues.

Richard

In principle a similar problem, albeit much worse, to the 66789 I've got. One of my Hattons 66's was OK, and ran reasonably well, apart (da-dah !) from a couple of axleboxes falling off. 66789, though, someone had been OTT with the glue tube, glue all over the outside of the axlebox press-on fittings  (albeit, thankfully, not over the outer ends), and in the "bearing" faces of the outer frame through which they fit (what do they expect when they say put glue on before you insert through the bogies frames). So, loco upside down in the clamshell, managed to prise all the axleboxes off, glue luckily proved easy to remove with a craft knife and fine pair of tweezers. So having got them off, with all axle boxes and bogie frames clear of excess glue, and the inner holes of the axleboxes opened up slightly with a pin vice, pushed each axlebox through the bogie frame, THEN put a small amount of glue on the inner end/in hole, push loosely onto the axle, do the same with the opposite end of that axle, then push both on tightly via the outer ends, being careful to ensure that the axleboxes are flush/square to the wheels, and appear to be level. Result is that it runs appreciably better than originally - not perfect, and not as smoothly as my Bachmann 66s, but within acceptable tolerances.

As I've said before, I'll give it a month before I consider ordering another one.

At least, apart from axle box issues, I've had no body parts or detail fall off.....so far.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, marshy said:

Hi there I had the biffa 66 today mine was derailing on the points. I notice the front axel boxes were lifting up the wheels. So I took all the axel boxes out and cut them and glue them in place. Not rotating now but has cure the problem End of the day bad design by hattons. It was a nice idea but it just a bit of gimmick really. Shame lovely model just need to redesign the rotating feature.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I agree with your points on QC especially when your model was glued up and considering Hattons Dave stated there would be in house QC checks before models were despatched.

But the thing is we don't know and will never know exactly what caused the advertised delay or how long it was going to be for. "Late 2020" being the words from the email I received. 

I just wonder if Hattons were stuck in a Catch-22 situation.

Preferred option, given the issues with batch 1, to return batch 2 to the factory for rectification, in which case late 2020 makes perfect sense.

When the above is proposed, the factory refuses, or makes clear that the rework will be at the back end of a considerable queue. In which case late 2020 isn't going to happen.

Horrible choice for Hattons - delay longer than 2020 or let them come in and try to QA sort in-house. Hence the early availability.

It's a theory, and in fairness to Hattons they aren't the only retailer or manufacturer to have experienced poor QC from China in recent times.

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, TomScrut said:

So, as it stands at the point of being unrun.

Cemex Express is going back, not even going to bother chipping it, As One We Can is going to be chipped and run to see how it goes. Neither were perfect but Cemex has more wrong with it than I can be bothered with and is worse than any of the 3 I have had through my hands previously in terms of condition.

I am disappointed TBH, although ONE looks even better than I thought it would. I thought it would be the Cemex livery that I'd prefer.

I have now chipped and run the ONE loco, runs like a glass wheelbarrow and is probably the best one I have had in terms of running but cannot get the forward night headlight to function. Oddly enough this seems to be a very similar fault to why I had to send my first 66789 back, anything on the logical outputs  (i.e. when using 10 functions) wouldn't work on that loco. In this case the reverse direction one works. Haven't put the body back to test cab lights but I am wondering if the buffer chip is broken for that light. The LED is fine as when using the switches to put it in 6 function mode it works a treat.

Edited by TomScrut

9 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

I'm not one to moan because I appreciate Hattons going to the trouble of designing these and doing generally excellent job, but I have just put my pink 'One' livery model on the track to find that 3 axel boxes have so much glue on them that they are actually glued to the bogie which they are supposed to be rotating in so the model wont move, its shocking quality control and its not good enough. These are premium ready to run models but it seems that very few are actually ready to run. I have managed to prise them out so that I can get it moving, but now I need to get some more so I can finish it off. I've been working hard recently and was going to treat myself to a Cemex one too, but I'm gonna put that plan on hold for now until more people have shared their experiences. I think I'd have preferred the 6 month delay as they announced in June but to have the models here without issues.

Richard

This is what I found last night the model wouldn't run and i think a couple of axle boxes glued to the bogie frame - managed to free it up ok, but as you say should not go out like that.

• Agree 1

Seems reading the comments on here Hatton's while trying to be innovative with the axles boxes shot them selves in the foot as they are the root cause of most issues. However i do think it is a stunning model still and glad I bought a couple, I may even get a third when my wallet recovers...

12 minutes ago, reggie said:

Seems reading the comments on here Hatton's while trying to be innovative with the axles boxes shot them selves in the foot as they are the root cause of most issues. However i do think it is a stunning model still and glad I bought a couple, I may even get a third when my wallet recovers...

I think the two I have had a while are great, axle box fallings off not 100% sorted but almost.

But it would seem (assuming my 2 I am returning here are replaced with good ones) I am going to have to have sent 3 back to get 4 good ones, only 1 stopping after initial delivery. And it needed odd bits doing.

Maybe judging by the post Hattons may have said to the factory, make sure the axels are glued on well and they have now gone overboard with the glue. Want to get the Cemex but after working on the two I have which are now running well and I love them. Seems its still a lottery with the new ones for it to be fine or if I have a lot of work to do again. Ohh and yesterday said it was sold out but now theres more in stock?

Edited by Triumph1050
  • Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, Dicky L said:

I will let this photo speak for itself

C9EF3B75-4ACA-45E3-9329-E711029CAD13.jpeg

2 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Dare I ask, has anyone received their 66623 yet, I want to check that the underframe is the correct shade of black.

The Black looks correct ‘CHARD...

• Funny 1