Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

29 minutes ago, Dicky L said:

I will let this photo speak for itself

C9EF3B75-4ACA-45E3-9329-E711029CAD13.jpeg

Oh dear I see you have to get the glue out for the roof grill. Yes the more I see and read, think Ill give these a miss for now. Same problems with mine I had to put right

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, reggie said:

This is what I found last night the model wouldn't run and i think a couple of axle boxes glued to the bogie frame - managed to free it up ok, but as you say should not go out like that.

seems like they may have got the work experience guy to glue the axle covers on

7837064F-B6EE-47D3-BF80-EA51ECB50C36.jpeg.b30c4cc7b2a1f9ff9d8ecf85a25c17ad.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

22 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Thanks I'll take a look at that later. 

Ive yet to run mine properly but a short test revealed it was a wobbly runner. I think it stems from No 2 end. I removed an axle box cover (it seemed to be a force fit on the axle stub as the end had flared out slightly) the axle stub looks the same size as the previous models. 

IMG_20200723_164508.jpg.6676b2ef2186a0eb025c7c17806f0175.jpg

Without going through the thread was superglue still the recommended adhesive from an owners perspective to refit the axlebox covers? 

With many thanks to the helpful replies I had earlier on here, I've had success with Araldite 2-part. 

2 axle boxes still on after about 2 weeks intermittent use.

I also had some success with NoMoreNails, but only on 1 outer axle.

NoMoreNails didn't work on an inner axle, the axle box came off soon after when running.

I put the glue on the axle, not on the axle box, then pushed the axle box on, then put more glue around the base,  So there is quite a blob of glue as shown in my picture.  NoMoreNails the white stuff on the top left, and Araldite 2-part on the top middle axle.  I guess the Araldite looks better as it's not white, but I can't see either when on the track.

I also tried PVA and Gorilla Superglue Gel but had no luck with those.

I also used replacement axle boxes that Hattons sent to me.  These seemed to be a tighter fit, but I might be just imagining that. 

I agree with other posters on here, perhaps if the axle was a bit longer it would avoid this problem.

Steve

axleboxes.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Regarding our Class 66’s, many of the above queries are answered on our in-depth page which you can find below:

https://hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=288

If you have any further issues, our Customer Experience team are trained on the Class 66s and are able to answer product queries and any other matters. They’re there 24 hours a day for calls, emails and live chat so we’ll be able to assist you at any time. 

Cheers

Dave

Received my Biffa and ‘One’ liveried sheds today.

Dont think I’ve felt so scared when opening model railway boxes before..

Nameplates were wonky on both, and one of the front handrails is floating as per my other two. A loose pipe in the box of the ‘One’ loco, not sure where off but I’ll figure out when I can be bothered.

Yet to run either, but the bogies on the Biffa one have a lot of glue marks and one of the axle boxes is caked in the stuff.

Livery application on both is generally good to my eyes. Being a bit critical I’d say the ‘Zero Injuries’ branding on 66587 isnt the best.

To summarise, as per my last two, I’d say the model is definitely an upgrade on the Bachmann offering but let down by some pee poor QC. Will be ordering the Cemex next and would have had the orange FL but for it being the wrong shade, cant understand that one.

Off to test.... Happy Modelling! 

EDIT: Upon closer inspection one of the buffers was missing from 66587. Will use the spare provided.

Edited by chris37422
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, chris37422 said:

Received my Biffa and ‘One’ liveried sheds today.

Dont think I’ve felt so scared when opening model railway boxes before..

Nameplates were wonky on both, and one of the front handrails is floating as per my other two. A loose pipe in the box of the ‘One’ loco, not sure where off but I’ll figure out when I can be bothered.

Yet to run either, but the bogies on the Biffa one have a lot of glue marks and one of the axle boxes is caked in the stuff.

Livery application on both is generally good to my eyes. Being a bit critical I’d say the ‘Zero Injuries’ branding on 66587 isnt the best.

To summarise, as per my last two, I’d say the model is definitely an upgrade on the Bachmann offering but let down by some pee poor QC. Will be ordering the Cemex next and would have had the orange FL but for it being the wrong shade, cant understand that one.

Off to test.... Happy Modelling! 

My Biffa arrived this afternoon and is going straight back to Hattons tomorrow (nameplates not aligned correctly and loose fuel tank) Not impressed at all. 

• Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, chris37422 said:

Will be ordering the Cemex next and would have had the orange FL but for it being the wrong shade, cant understand that one.

I got the Cemex and ONE, both going back but to expedite things I ordered replacements today and will just get refunded for the other two. Was hoping that they'd have got the FL orange right or I'd have probably had one of those too. I aren't really wanting for GBRF stuff but the Cemex livery is cool.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shunny said:

DSC_0644_4.JPG.abc73703522352b56bf91659285f91d5.JPGI got mine today and have to say very pleased everything in place and looking good!

DSC_0644_3.JPG

I was really happy with mine like that, best runner and condition H66 I have had but one of the lights wouldn't work

That looks stunning.So tonight's session Cemex running like a dream lost no axle boxes yet and runs smoothly Biff's Derailed again two or three times until it dropped two axle boxes leading bogie center and rear axles once these are gone it runs perfectly do I might cut them down and glue in place if that's a fix as you can't really see them turning anyway

Edited by marshy
Spelling mistake

• RMweb Gold

Whilst the colour is not correct on Freightliner 66623 on a positive note I can report no glue marks and all the axle boxes are present.  I have given it a good run for 30 minutes in each direction and everything runs smoothly with everything remaining in place. i will be keeping this model simply because it’s still a good base model for repaint. I am happy with the visual appearance of 66587 and 66780. I have just not had chance to run them  yet. 

0794DDDC-5B5B-4860-B150-015060A0BD00.jpeg

Edited by Dicky L
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Got 66587,66623 and 66780 with sound today but no 66783,no sound fitted Biffas here yet by Hattons

I have the sound class 66783 flying dustman from Hattons. It’s on my YouTube site under Penrith road if u want to have a look. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

It seems they just open there mouths and let the wind blow there tongue around,i questioned them this morning as to why i had not recived it and was told only non DCC was here.Ive had it ordered from May last year,thanks for letting me know.As a point of interest how long had you had it preordered??

I preordered the loco as soon as hattons announced the item 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, 

I wonder if anyone could help me please?

Has anyone bought any of the latest batch of 66s that arrived this week (587, 623, 743, 746, 780 or 783) and have had no issues or faults with them and were fine running straight out of the box? Or are the quality control issues that were identified in batch one, still present in the second batch? 

I ask because personally I'm not interested in having to return models in order to try and find a good one, and I would just like a model that functions properly and has all the parts and detailing intact straight out of the box. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
To add another loco number that I missed

Received my 4 today. Biffa/Cemex/One/Freightliner.

All run perfectly in both directions (20+mins), no derailments, bits falling off etc. Very slight wobble but we know why that is and its not bothering me.

The Freightliner orange is clearly too light but much deeper than the photos on the website show. I can live with it.

It appears that Hatton's and Bachmann have both got their shade of orange the wrong way round for the respective loco numbers. Stand to be corrected.

Clearly there is still a QC issue as others have pointed out but just wanted to add balance. Maybe I got lucky.....

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Is there anybody on here got one of the new batch and NOT got a Cemex one? Seems to be the most popular one from what I can see on the comments

I have ONE. All I can say is, it's very pink.

(And the above is not a euphemism, so don't even go there)

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Does it perform properly?

(And the above is not a euphemism, so don't even go there)

One has not yet checked ONEs' performance, but when one does, One will let you know if ONE is ok or not.

One has had a quick fiddle with ONE's twiddly bits and they certainly seemed to be not suffering from excess sticky white stuff.

Edited by newbryford
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

I have 66789 which is an excellent example and good runner, although it was exchanged after the first one had derailment issues.

On the back of this I decided to order three of the new models, my Cemex version although has no cosmetic issues is a poor runner, think I'll remove and replace all the AB's. One has actually fallen out and has flash around the box on the edge so that's not a good start, possibky oithers are the same.  

My One variant seems cosmetically good and not a bad runner, so that's positive.

More interesting is my Freightliner G&W which had the ladder missing, it's broken off in the box, but one of the AB's has not been painted, or was missing and has had a standard black one fitted as a replacement, not impressed.... 

20200725_220539.jpg

20200725_201608.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

A mate not on this forum got a DCC fitted 780 and seems perfect other than the ability of his Hornby select to change the address on the decoder. I'd expect this to be more down to the controller than the decoder though given the rep these have.

My 587 would have been perfect to anyone not using a 10 function decoder assuming they were willing to stick one of the pipe assemblies back onto the body. Running wise it was perfect. Unfortunately as I have said already it's going back due to at least one light not working on the 10 function settings.

Statistically for me I am sending 2/2 of this batch back, as opposed to 1/2 of the last batch. But that doesn't tell the full story IMO, I do think that some lessons have been learned. My 780 just had a bit too much glue on it that's the only reason it's going back, I didn't run it but given one of the axle box covers would not turn I wouldn't have had high hopes.

On the other hand from the first batch 756 (which I kept first time) and either 789 (first one sent back because of similar lighting issue to 780) could have been sent back on running grounds and bits fallen off alone but I persisted.

I do genuinely think from what I have read too that things do seem better.

Anyway 2 more coming Monday so hopefully those will be there to stay. The liveries on 587 and 780 are great I think. It's just a shame 623 is the wrong colour or I'd probably be hankering after one of them.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Thanks 1

I've had 623, and since sent it back. Wrong colour, loose Ab's, wonky ladder and ran sporadically.. Fine at slow speeds but when it was increased it kept stopping and then going.. (DCC fitted by Hattons.. )

587 arrived later in the day as a present.  No excess glue on AB's. Has a wobble on one bogie and derails in either direction.

So  I expect that one to go back too, unless the wobbly bogie is an easy fix.. 

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Thanks 1

Opened my 'ONE' 66587 last night, I had to have this one as it's such an in your face livery and it'll make the steam boys at the club get the sunglasses out! 

First impressions on opening the box were good, but that quickly went downhill. I'll be contacting today for a replacement due to damage to the etched grilles and handrails, flash/obstruction/misshape on the front of the chassis block at No.1 end which prevents the bufferbeam from sitting flush, and the worst case of wonky wheels/rough riding I've ever seen on a diesel loco. This could be due to the axle boxes being glued on askew in various directions, as the bogies have a fair amount of white super glue misting (doesn't really show on pics) and super glue debris around the axleboxes where they meet the wheels, and in the axle holes. The motor has a bit of a squeal in one direction when starting off too. Several underframe parts loose in the box also, which I don't mind sticking back on.. but I can't fix some of it and theres just too many issues, so this one will have to go back. I'll try another before I give up. The livery is very well applied and the cab interiors are nice, I like the interchangeable bufferbeams too, but this is let down by really poor assembly/QC on the fundamental stuff, and I'm forced to say I'm pretty disappointed. 

The one other comment I'd make is that to access the lighting function switches you have to remove the body, which is flimsy and drags off the bodyside steps and details glued to the lower body as they're at 90 degrees to it.  Can't do anything about that, these parts should be on the chassis not the body. The plastic grille inserts on the block fell off whilst this too, and I wouldn't recommend removing the body unless you really have to. There was no packing in my shipping box either, so the loco box was just rattling around inside which may have caused some of the issues I have. 

Honest opinion, I hope the replacement is OK or fixable. Few pics below if anyone is interested.

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4558.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4560.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2