Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

Hi everyone,

Has anyone contacted Hattons for spare/replacement axle covers and received them?

My first model had 2 missing which I phoned and a really friendly lady made a note to get them sent. I followed up a couple of months after on the email chat and was told they would come when they had some. My new model that came this week had one middle axle glued on and looking underneath you could see this had split during assembly so I used the chat again to ask for a spare. 

I was just curious as I see a couple of posts saying they had them. I didn’t really want to send models back for something that I can fix.

Thanks

Mark

• Thanks 1

The mark of a company is how it deals with stuff when it goes wrong.

And thus far they seem to have lost the plot. The number of returns from the first lot must have been massive - why didn’t they stop producing them at that point and sort the issues. Not keep churning them out, and “ contact customer services if you have a problem “.

I’m furloughed ( still ) and I’ll go and inspect 66s for £10/ hr plus vat,if they want .

• Agree 6

48 minutes ago, Lochnagar said:

First impressions on opening the box were good, but that quickly went downhill. I'll be contacting today for a replacement due to damage to the etched grilles and handrails, flash/obstruction/misshape on the front of the chassis block at No.1 end which prevents the bufferbeam from sitting flush, and the worst case of wonky wheels/rough riding I've ever seen on a diesel loco.

Funny you should mention chassis shaping/ moulding issues. I’ve just noticed that my 66746 has mis shaped jacking points on one side. These are part of the metal casting so have they had a dodgy run of chassis at some point? Both jacking points on one side are like this (picture 1) but the other side is fine (picture 2). These are the widest part of the casting though so could explain why only the jacking points are damaged.

Just thought it was interesting when you brought up chassis issues. It’s not bad enough for me to send the model back or anything especially since it runs as nicely and looks the part other than this admittedly very minor issue.

We will just call it character :P

Picture 1 (Damaged jacking point)

IMG_20200726_124719.jpg.1fe07f0fd0ba14bb374af25b4d846aa4.jpg

Picture 2 (Good jacking point)

IMG_20200726_125127.jpg.de6aa406441eb6f96fd2061f41fa5823.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I am going to state the obvious but these are really disappointing both for us and hattons. My large logo one went back a while ago and I really fancy an Ews one but the issues keep coming. I am sure hattons are as gutted as we are but probably don’t want to comment publicly. I realise some of the issues such as poor running wouldn’t be obvious until they are on the track but just take them out of the box and take a look before you send and some of the other issues such as nameplates/ glue marks and suchlike may have been picked up before despatch.

I will await batch 3 before I decide whether to buy or not and even then will not pre order until they have arrived and feedback from others seen.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

I must have got a good one, 66756 from the first batch. No issues other than an axle box which fell off. I have not yet attempted to re- attach this as I have other projects on the go. My big worry is that I will have to remove the body at some stage to fit a driver...

John

3 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone contacted Hattons for spare/replacement axle covers and received them?

My first model had 2 missing which I phoned and a really friendly lady made a note to get them sent. I followed up a couple of months after on the email chat and was told they would come when they had some. My new model that came this week had one middle axle glued on and looking underneath you could see this had split during assembly so I used the chat again to ask for a spare. 

I was just curious as I see a couple of posts saying they had them. I didn’t really want to send models back for something that I can fix.

Thanks

Mark

No. Mine seems to have lost 2 but I can't find them anywhere on the layout.

They look a good candidate for resin 3d printing & being so small, I can do loads quite quickly so I decided to design some in Sketchup instead. It seemed like a simple project & I had the printer anyway.

I have not actually tried printing them yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Yes, twice. About 2 weeks after the first batch came out I asked and got. Then on Friday they sent some out (not sure why as I am returning the loco in question) and they came yesterday.

• Thanks 2

I am glad to say my One liveried model has been run in and all good after having to send back my LL blue from first batch and having to redo all the axle boxes on the replacement. I do think it's a fantastic model and had planned to get more but it feels like a lottery if you get a good one straight out the box or not.

I do agree that my next 66 will most likely be a Bachmann as the overall project has failed to live up to the hype for me I have over 20 Bachmann 66s and only had 1 faulty and only one good 66 out of 3 from Hattons, putting videos and guides how to fix the model yourself is novel but not what I expect after paying £150 for a top of the range model.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Lochnagar said:

Honest opinion, I hope the replacement is OK or fixable. Few pics below if anyone is interested.

IMG_4559.jpg

Wow, looking at the pictures, perhaps that nameplate should read
“AS ONE. WE CAN’T” or

”THIS ONE. I WON’T”

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 3

On 23/07/2020 at 23:00, Richard Croft said:

... but maybe they could have used some of the delay (as people were expecting it anyway) to individually test and check models...

I'm sure I read this or even had an email from Hattons Support saying most, if not all would be checked before sending out.

I wonder if the excitement and number of orders on the second batch, or even the modified "extra glue" may have caused many to be sent with no checks.

10 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I'm sure I read this or even had an email from Hattons Support saying most, if not all would be checked before sending out.

I wonder if the excitement and number of orders on the second batch, or even the modified "extra glue" may have caused many to be sent with no checks.

You do wonder.

Given the recurrent issues on both batches 1 & 2 you would think that each loco should be given at least a test run at some point between coming into stock and sent out to a potential customer, if nothing else to check if it will move (ie to see if the axle boxes have been glued to the bogie frames) or if it wobbles like an unsteady drunk. A check on light function (which seems to be an issue in some cases) would also be nice. As would, continuing the theme above, checking for drunken nameplates.

Then again, the potential customer always has the ultimate sanction to hopefully make them do something about it.....

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

I think anything hattons do now, will be ineffective. If you mention a hattons shed, people will either say what’s broken now etc. I was in the market for 2 more however I’ve held off, from what I’ve seen about the second batch, I’m steering clear. 

A procedure similar to Derails might help.

Let's not forget that this is meant to be an RTR loco. Consumer intervention to make it do what it is supposed, and advertised, to do should not be part of the package.

In the case of the Hattons 66, each loco checked for integrity (ie, no axlesboxes or components fallen off or loose), that the lighting actually works as it is supposed to, plus actually running each loco around a track, curves and points as well, to ensure that it runs without derailing or wobbling. Cosmetically, no glue marks on outside of loco, and nameplates (where applicable) straight. Then, if it passes all of that (and given what has happened so far this needs to be applied stringently, rather than lackadaisically), a card signed (by the tester) and dated that all is OK enclosed with loco.

Extending the warranty AS WELL AS the above might also give people a bit more confidence to purchase the product.

And if people receive locos that have had the above checks and are still faulty, then, to be quite honest, it deserves to fail.

• Agree 8

2 hours ago, WisTramwayMan said:

lighting actually works as it is supposed to

In the case of my issues it would probably be best done at factory as it's a case of what I think is components on the board not working, the buffer stages for the logical decoder outputs. Do we want Hattons taking the bodies off given how easy it is to damage them?

27 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Hattons must be making DC to DCC as they keep appearing in and out of stock on there 66 page,so they must be popping body on and off.just got to be patient and careful to do it

If they are indeed doing that then it would be great if Hattons would also do that for DCC Sound as well & keep the price @£265.

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Do we want Hattons taking the bodies off given how easy it is to damage them?

For sure if your 66s body has white painted hand rails on the steps to the cab, you will need white paint. No way do you not loose paint having to unclip these rails before taking body on or off. After working on my two was hoping these would be OK. Seems only way to make sure I get a good one is to travel up to Hattons and have one opened up in front of me. Like I used to be able to with Modelzone. What you get using the internet 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Hattons must be making DC to DCC as they keep appearing in and out of stock on there 66 page,so they must be popping body on and off.just got to be patient and careful to do it

I have had the tops off 4 now and 2 went fine, first one I lost some white paint and the 4th one did. I think some of it is down to being careful but also an element of luck with how well the paint is stuck to the rails

So, 2 replacements came today. Far better than Thursday in general. Axle box covers look great. Fingers crossed the circuit boards are OK!

Unfortunately both locos have feint bits of glue residue. Any tips as to how to get them off?

• Thanks 1

On 26/07/2020 at 16:21, TomScrut said:

Yes, twice. About 2 weeks after the first batch came out I asked and got. Then on Friday they sent some out (not sure why as I am returning the loco in question) and they came yesterday.

I think you must have been lucky with the Axle Boxes, I spoke to customer services on Sunday and the guy believes they are now out of stock. I'm going to change all mine on my latest three and fit them myself and be hopeful that all the minor wobbles dissapear...

TBH I was hoping / anticipating to read that, especially with the COVID-induced delay that QC 'issues' had been resolved, or at least to read of fewer issues.

It appears to still be a bit hit-or-miss, or am I mistaken?

Al.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

So, 2 replacements came today. Far better than Thursday in general. Axle box covers look great. Fingers crossed the circuit boards are OK!

Unfortunately both locos have feint bits of glue residue. Any tips as to how to get them off?

So I have had decoders in them both, and the one I was sending back unrun for cosmetic purposes. All 4 of this batch have a problem with the night headlight at one end when on 10 function decoder, quite possibly the cab light too but I haven't had the body on. One has the issue at the other end (reverse) to the other three (forward). I have tried 2 decoders in all of them and the results are identical including the one with the opposite end so I am ruling out decoder trouble.

Statistically that makes 5/7 I have had in my possession have a problem of this nature. Is nobody else fitting 10 function decoders into these and finding they don't work properly?

I am using Lokpilot V5 MKLs as are supposed to work and do work in the two I have had a while.

I am going to do more diagnostic work to see if there is a bad connection on the two I got today but I am annoyed about this. You'd expect the PCB to be the most consistent thing on the loco.

I have also contacted Hattons to make sure I aren't missing anything stupid.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1