Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

12 hours ago, TomScrut said:

So I have had decoders in them both, and the one I was sending back unrun for cosmetic purposes. All 4 of this batch have a problem with the night headlight at one end when on 10 function decoder, quite possibly the cab light too but I haven't had the body on. One has the issue at the other end (reverse) to the other three (forward). I have tried 2 decoders in all of them and the results are identical including the one with the opposite end so I am ruling out decoder trouble.

Statistically that makes 5/7 I have had in my possession have a problem of this nature. Is nobody else fitting 10 function decoders into these and finding they don't work properly?

I am using Lokpilot V5 MKLs as are supposed to work and do work in the two I have had a while.

I am going to do more diagnostic work to see if there is a bad connection on the two I got today but I am annoyed about this. You'd expect the PCB to be the most consistent thing on the loco.

I have also contacted Hattons to make sure I aren't missing anything stupid.

Does the night light work on on both ends when on dc ,or is it just a dvd issue? Could always take the chip out of the 2 you have working already to double check

30 minutes ago, gary_lner said:

Does the night light work on on both ends when on dc ,or is it just a dvd issue? Could always take the chip out of the 2 you have working already to double check

I am definitely not trying the decoders from the models I am happy with, I am sick of taking these bodies off as it is and given how easy it is to chip paint on the handrails I don't see it as necessary.

The evidence suggests the chips are fine IMO, I don't think ESU would have 3 faulty chips on the trot anyway but I will entertain the thought that it could be the case. Of the two I have mostly been trying the locos with they both read 5V at the pins (from what little info there is about the state of the logic outputs this seems to be correct, different to the powered outputs which are high level when off) when the functions in question are active, and this is backed up by the fact the problem is at a different end on one of the locos and therefore a different output, i.e. if it was the decoder then it wouldn't be the case.

On all but one the night lights work when in 6 function mode where you use the middle switch to choose which one. On one I cannot get it to light at all. The end switch (K6 IIRC) on this particular one seems sticky too. This one has the issue at the same end as 2 more so it doesn't have an effect on the statement above about the decoders.

I think it must be something to do with the buffer amps for the logic level outputs. Anything on the powered decoder outputs is fine, the logic level ones (that I can test with the body off) seem to not always work. The thing is anybody buying these as DC and not fitting sound or a 10 function decoder would never be the wiser.

I sent one from the first batch back too with this issue. That one the logic level stuff didn't work on either end.

I have no means to test on DC but I don't think I should have to given I think I have done enough to confirm its the locos on DCC.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Following Receipt of my latest 3 Hattons Class 66s I have now had opportunity to check all 3 and run them in.  I thought I would give my thoughts on these considering the model is receiving plenty of criticism at the moment. 

Before anyone points it out, I know the speed sign behind 66587 in the photograph has fallen over. 

Firstly all 3 models have run exceptionally well for me during the running in process. I have not had problems with axle boxes being glued in badly. All 6 remained in place on 66623, Whilst one centre axle box came out of both 66587 and 66780. 

66623 is without doubt the wrong colour and effectively renders it useless to me until it receives a complete repaint. Hattons themselves have succeeded in highlighting this perfectly on their instagram.  With this in mind I intend to keep it as 66623 and have it painted the correct orange. 

66780 A wonderful model and for me the best of the lot. Andi Walshaw tells me the yellow ends are the wrong colour although in the scheme of things this is relatively minor. 780 also suffers light bleed on the roof which is easily remedied.

66587 I am very happy with this one, although again I have found a slight issue with light bleed in the yellow ends, This is only noticeable in very dark conditions though so shouldn’t cause much of a problem. 

Overall The Hattons 66 is a great model and my experience whilst far from perfect has to date been a pleasant one. I will not let the issues prevent me buying other variants in future, although I am very dissapointed that Hattons have made a monumental cockup with 66623.

CE6BBC50-982A-4AAC-A290-38889B69591D.jpeg

Edited by Dicky L
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I have no means to test on DC but I don't think I should have to given I think I have done enough to confirm its the locos on DCC.

Time to invest in a DC controller I would say - locos should always be tested on DC before conversion.

Roy

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Roy Langridge said:

Time to invest in a DC controller I would say - locos should always be tested on DC before conversion.

Roy

I am not saying you're wrong, but why? Other than if it's a non runner then they could claim it's something you have done as you have been in it.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, TomScrut said:

I am not saying you're wrong, but why? Other than if it's a non runner then they could claim it's something you have done as you have been in it.

Because:

a) as you say, you have not been in it and can't be accused of causing the problems - see d)

b) you are removing a possible fault case when you have an issue such as you have. 

c) the instructions on every loco I have tell you to, therefore, the manufacturer could argue that chipping it before testing breaches the instructions for use and invalidates the warranty.

d) you don't waste time chipping a bad loco.

e) if it runs badly on DC (i.e. a glued up axle box), you will not be putting an unusually high current draw in the chip when you try it.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Dicky L said:

66780 A wonderful model and for me the best of the lot. Andi Walshaw tells me the yellow ends are the wrong colour although in the scheme of things this is relatively minor. 780 also suffers light bleed on the roof which is easily remedied.

I investigated fixing the light bleed in the roof but concluded that the glazing had to come out to release the cab ceiling and light board. Have you corrected it on one of your models and is there an easier way?  Cheers

2 hours ago, Dicky L said:

Following Receipt of my latest 3 Hattons Class 66s I have now had opportunity to check all 3 and run them in.  I thought I would give my thoughts on these considering the model is receiving plenty of criticism at the moment. 

Before anyone points it out, I know the speed sign behind 66587 in the photograph has fallen over. 

Firstly all 3 models have run exceptionally well for me during the running in process. I have not had problems with axle boxes being glued in badly. All 6 remained in place on 66623, Whilst one centre axle box came out of both 66587 and 66780. 

66623 is without doubt the wrong colour and effectively renders it useless to me until it receives a complete repaint. Hattons themselves have succeeded in highlighting this perfectly on their instagram.  With this in mind I intend to keep it as 66623 and have it painted the correct orange. 

66587 I am very happy with this one, although again I have found a slight issue with light bleed in the yellow ends, This is only noticeable in very dark conditions though so shouldn’t cause much of a problem. 

Overall The Hattons 66 is a great model and my experience whilst far from perfect has to date been a pleasant one. I will not let the issues prevent me buying other variants in future, although I am very dissapointed that Hattons have made a monumental cockup with 66623.

CE6BBC50-982A-4AAC-A290-38889B69591D.jpeg

“ one swallow does not, a summer make “.

I’m glad yours work, but the risk of a duff one is too high for me to commit to purchase.

can 623 be renumbered to the one that is that shade of Fanta ? Or are the details wrong ?

Oh, and your speed sign has fallen down...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

can 623 be renumbered to the one that is that shade of Fanta ? Or are the details wrong ?

Edit Ignore the below, brain fart! Headlights are different too. D'oh!

Spec of 66 would be the same Rob, but there's things like the positioning of the stripes to worry about. 413 isn't just the wrong shade of orange, there's lots of variation when seen beside one of the batch done at Eastleigh (including 623)

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

One's ONE is on the rolling road, trundling along quite nicely. 7v/150mA and dropping gradually as it loosens up.

ONE has one loose axlebox, but that's sorted now.

Whilst placing my 3rd order for the same 2 66s I noticed there are some sound ones back in stock. One 587 and three 780s. In case anybody is after a sound loco.

I must admit I was tempted to get these, one would expect the lighting would work properly on these. Thing is I'd then be left with a load of MKL LokPilot V5s 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Whilst placing my 3rd order for the same 2 66s I noticed there are some sound ones back in stock. One 587 and three 780s. In case anybody is after a sound loco.

I must admit I was tempted to get these, one would expect the lighting would work properly on these. Thing is I'd then be left with a load of MKL LokPilot V5s 

cheers for the heads up, sound 66587 and 2x sound 66780's ordered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amwells said:

Has any one got the Royal Scotsman versions, and is the colour /finish right?

Ive got 66746 and it looks great to me. Ive been lucky enough to see 66746 in the flesh stationary at multiple stations hauling the Royal Scotsman. The only thing Ive noticed is that the real loco is painted in a high gloss where as the model is satin/matt. Im happy they have done this as I personally dont think a gloss finish scales well although worth noting if you want 100% realism. Im also cheating because I have it hauling stanier maroon coaches since they look close enough for me to capture the look, are easy to find and I dont have to buy specific coaches for one train.

Edited by Br60066
  • Thanks 1

On 28/07/2020 at 10:23, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Perhaps a few years ago but these days, with many locos being built for DCC and many coming pre-fitted, I would have thought it's time to lie this advice to the ground.

I think I've only ran in one loco out of about 20 I have, and pretty much all of them have gone straight on DCC.

• RMweb Premium
On 25/07/2020 at 23:12, TomScrut said:

A mate not on this forum got a DCC fitted 780 and seems perfect other than the ability of his Hornby select to change the address on the decoder. I'd expect this to be more down to the controller than the decoder though given the rep these have.

My 587 would have been perfect to anyone not using a 10 function decoder assuming they were willing to stick one of the pipe assemblies back onto the body. Running wise it was perfect. Unfortunately as I have said already it's going back due to at least one light not working on the 10 function settings.

Statistically for me I am sending 2/2 of this batch back, as opposed to 1/2 of the last batch. But that doesn't tell the full story IMO, I do think that some lessons have been learned. My 780 just had a bit too much glue on it that's the only reason it's going back, I didn't run it but given one of the axle box covers would not turn I wouldn't have had high hopes.

On the other hand from the first batch 756 (which I kept first time) and either 789 (first one sent back because of similar lighting issue to 780) could have been sent back on running grounds and bits fallen off alone but I persisted.

I do genuinely think from what I have read too that things do seem better.

Anyway 2 more coming Monday so hopefully those will be there to stay. The liveries on 587 and 780 are great I think. It's just a shame 623 is the wrong colour or I'd probably be hankering after one of them.

Hi Tom, 

Thank you to yourself and everyone else who has replied to my comment regarding the latest batch of 66s. I really appreciate all of the information and advice. 

It's such a shame that what externally on photos on the Hattons website for example, appears to be a fantastic newly tooled Class 66 is for the second batch running let down by quality control issues. Hattons seem to have really grasped some of the things that customers wanted on the new 66 including: a more powerful motor to haul more wagons, excellent livery application, further detailing to the chassis and more lighting functions. It's just really unfortunate that the entire model is let down by niggles such as: detailing from the chassis falling/snapping off, some of the lights not working, wonky/misaligned nameplates on the bodysides, excess glue, chipped paintwork on the cab rails, axle boxes falling off and axle boxes been misaligned when fitted causing the bogies/models to derail. 

I have to say it's disappointing because this model, especially been the Class 66 had real potential and it seems that as customers we have gained in some areas but then it seems to have come at a cost of receiving models with quality control issues, across both batches so far.  

I'm glad that you, your friend and some others have found some good ones and are happy with them but personally I am going to wait and see if Bachmann produce some of the liveries that Hattons have. Bachmann have already announced an Orange 419 (originally was planned to be 413), so if I want a new 66 in the G&W Orange I will opt for the Bachmann 66. I also hope that Bachmann produce a Pink ONE 587 because if they do I will likely buy that one as well. 

Which other two 66s did you receive on Monday and are they fine or do they have any QC issues? 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
To correct a spelling mistake
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Which other two 66s did you receive on Monday and are they fine or do they have any QC issues? 

587 and 780. Both have gone back, 2 more coming today.

Hattons have been spot on in terms of the returns process BTW

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

587 and 780. Both have gone back, 2 more coming today.

Hattons have been spot on in terms of the returns process BTW

That's a shame, hopefully you will have better luck this time round and receive some better models. 

Keep us updated and let us know what happens with these two. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Friendly/supportive 1