Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

1 minute ago, john new said:

Possibly they are having a litigious dialogue with either or both design or manufacturing supply chain providers over the issue so cannot go public on causes etc., without risk. An example might be a firm saying yes we’ve stuffed up but provided you agree to non-disclosure we will fix it.

I don’t believe that - if that was the case you’d reject taking any more until the design/ manufacturing is fixed.

You wouldn’t accept thousands more, putting a strain on the customer relations department, and they are still plugging them on media such as Instagram.

• Agree 1

I made my decision, and ordered the Biffa class 66 today. A Bachmann one.

It may not be as sophisticated as the Hattons one, but based on the 6 or so I've got already it'll work and be trouble free.

And still have a decent level of detail, plus working lights.

And be over £25 cheaper.

Now, contrary to what the above may make people think, the above was done somewhat reluctantly. I really wanted the Hattons one to be good - and have decided not to order a 66746 Belmond as a result of the issues aired on this forum and personal experience of the couple I've had so far - one was OK-ish, the second wobbled like a jelly and like more than one other ended up prising the axleboxes off and regluing them. It seems to me that Hattons should put their hand up, admit they've had an unacceptable level of issues, and withdraw the product from sale until they've either sorted the ones they have, meaningfully, into good stock/bad stock or got new stock. The ones with faults on sorting could be perhaps be graded and sold at a decent discount, the level of which depends on the fault, as I would guess that many people on this forum would have the expertise to rectify them. Obviously they should not be paying full price for a knowingly sub-standard product (which, by default, almost seems to be what is happening in many cases now).

As for future batches, the cause isn't lost for Hattons. Upgrade the lighting circuit boards, sort the bogie rotation/pivoting issues on some locos, ensure they're assembled with a more reasonable degree of care and redesign the axlebox feature. They must know by now what is needed. Longer axles, so there's more meat to press the axleboxes onto, the axleboxes themselves make sure the inner hole is large enough to slide snugly, but without undue force, over the axle. Inner end must be square - this will butt up to the wheel when gluing, and therefore will hopefully run true with the axle, and on the bogie frame the round holes moulded slightly rectangular in the vertical plane allowing the axles slight movement up and down. The latter would mean, however, that the bogie frames would have to be glued, or clipped, into position. Hopefully, the above would mean it ran smoothly.

The class 66 will be on the railways for a long time yet. With the correct actions, the Hattons 66 could still be the best version to have been produced in OO form.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, rob D2 said:

What concerns me most at this point is the silence from the manufacturer on the faults.

No “ we realise this and that are wrong and we are working on a  solution “,

just, “ if you want to return all our customer service team can deal with it “.

That’ s not a long term solution, and they are starting to seem a bit out of their depth .

theres a lot of assumptions in this and other posts.

Whenever I sell anything on ebay and the buyer has an issue, I default to “just send it back”. I get 1 return in 100 or more, and usually its the buyers issue. I cant be bothered with price chippers or buyers regret, as my wife says in a great polish accent “Do widzenia”.

Am I out if my depth or suing someone ? No, I just get rid of the buyer, ban them and move on. I suspect Hattons customer service is more forgiving than mine.

Its easy to lose perspective, Squeaky wheels make noise, silent ones roll.

Its unfortunate to some reading of issues rolled out here, and its easy for me to say, sitting here i’m alright jack with my 3 working fine, but I suspect many like me aren't making noise either, there models just work..

if theres an issue share it, if you have a fix, then impress us and get kudos, but otherwise Why not take it at face value ? If it doesn't work, send it back.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, WisTramwayMan said:

have decided not to order a 66746 Belmond as a result of the issues aired on this forum

Excellent, one more left for me when I eventually have the money available. I’m happy to do a little sorting out to get it running perfectly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, classy52 said:

Accurascale are light years ahead of everyone else atm in regards to communication and engagement within RMWeb but I wouldn't mention Heljan in the same breathe lol.

As I have followed this thread since the beginning Hattons Dave was quite active but granted not since after the release of their 66 and when the issues started to surface he's gone a bit underground with the odd customer service spiel if you have problems with your 66 but agree Hattons need to win back confidence and maybe produce a high level outline of addressing the issues going forward especially if a new batch is to be produced.

Hattons have a visually beautiful and sounding Class 66, and like yourself would have purchased many with sound if it wasn't for the issues thus sort them out & get back on track!

I've always found that odd, prior to the Class 66's release, Hatton's Dave was extremely active in responding to people's queries. There was a lot of promotion going on. Since it's release and discovery of all the issues, Hatton's have been extremely silent on the matter. And the issue isn't limited to just the Class 66, Hatton's O gauge A3/A4 are missing handrails on the cab side. And what't more shocking is Hatton's not willing to do it and high-profile people on this forum just brushing it aside as a accidental error. I'm not surprised by the error, the model was designed by none other than ______. The surprising part is watching people show their disappointment in the model and Hattons and certain people on rmweb just brushing it aside.

My faith in Hatton's has gone! Their lack of communication, the way their ignore problems - just not worth it. Maybe the numerous Customer Service Awards and success of their 0-6-0 tank engines has resulted in their heads going skywards.

Hatton's attitude needs to change. You cannot have a model that looks and sounds good on paper but doesn't reflect the same way in person.

10 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

Completely agree, it’s not reassuring at all. Has certainly stopped me buying anymore. Look at the likes of Accurascale and Heljan, active on the forums and taking criticism

Whaaaaaaaat? Really? :blink::scratchhead:

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I've always found that odd, prior to the Class 66's release, Hatton's Dave was extremely active in responding to people's queries. There was a lot of promotion going on. Since it's release and discovery of all the issues, Hatton's have been extremely silent on the matter. And the issue isn't limited to just the Class 66, Hatton's O gauge A3/A4 are missing handrails on the cab side. And what't more shocking is Hatton's not willing to do it and high-profile people on this forum just brushing it aside as a accidental error. I'm not surprised by the error, the model was designed by none other than ______. The surprising part is watching people show their disappointment in the model and Hattons and certain people on rmweb just brushing it aside.

My faith in Hatton's has gone! Their lack of communication, the way their ignore problems - just not worth it. Maybe the numerous Customer Service Awards and success of their 0-6-0 tank engines has resulted in their heads going skywards.

Hatton's attitude needs to change. You cannot have a model that looks and sounds good on paper but doesn't reflect the same way in person.

Whaaaaaaaat? Really? :blink::scratchhead:

Well said! Agree on all points. (And don't forget the missing 9 inches on the Barclay 16") 

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

This completely sums up my feelings and I think those of many others. After my experience with the rhtt and 66, I doubt I’ll use them again. Saying that, my class 14 and 14xx have been completely fine, swings and roundabouts I guess.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Yes agree Hattons were very active and it was really good when we were getting the ultimate 66 but when it became the not-so ultimate 66 (yes it still looks & sounds beautiful) the shutters seems to have gone up and all we get now is the obligatory corporate responses when you have a faulty product which I think will irk a lot of people considering it was more on a personal basis in this thread leading up to product release and just after.

I just hope Hattons turn this around because I do want to support them & buy the ultimate 66 that runs straight out of the box not being a lottery if it does as it is at the moment, and yes I'm going to say it I sold all my Bachmann 66's (all 10 of them) for a reason and this was it and I'm not going back to their old tired product so Hattons please permanently rectify these issues and I'll buy loads from your future batches...just fix the damn issues!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I understand the frustration with the issues that the 66 has been having - but surely no model ever produced has been perfect, this goes with the manufacturer too. 

Maybe we should just be grateful that Hattons have gone ahead and produced the ultimate 66 which in my opinion is a fantastic model - at the end of the day we could still be stuck with the Bachmann offering! 

Yes there are issues with the model, but surely it's not the end of the world to have to send it back and exchange it for another one - it is free postage after all! 

My thoughts won't be welcome with some, but I just think we need to cut them a bit of slack and be thankful that we have a good solid base for a loco which is so prolific across the network. 

PS - I have one of these and so far it's been fine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 3

23 minutes ago, Chris56057 said:

I understand the frustration with the issues that the 66 has been having - but surely no model ever produced has been perfect, this goes with the manufacturer too. 

Agree no model is perfect but you would at least expect it to run properly out of the box without wobbling like a drunk & AB bits falling off thus its a tooling issue that needs to be rectified, plus there is that lighting issue on the large round headlight variants that nobody can fix unless you're an electrical engineer.

Maybe we should just be grateful that Hattons have gone ahead and produced the ultimate 66 which in my opinion is a fantastic model - at the end of the day we could still be stuck with the Bachmann offering! 

Why should we be grateful, its a Want not a need and it isn't yet the ultimate 66 but has the potential to be just that!

Yes there are issues with the model, but surely it's not the end of the world to have to send it back and exchange it for another one - it is free postage after all! 

Who says its the end of the world???...definitely not for me lol

Now what you're missing here is the fact if you purchased DCC Fitted or DCC Sound then sending it back will not get you the same model back in exchange as they have all but sold out and Hattons will not retro fit a DCC chip or Sound chip unless you pay the extra cost on another model of the same type and then you are crossing your fingers again that it runs ok.

My thoughts won't be welcome with some, but I just think we need to cut them a bit of slack and be thankful that we have a good solid base for a loco which is so prolific across the network. 

I'm personally waiting in the wings until the issues are fixed in hopefully the next batch, if they get fixed then'll buy loads (more than 1) as I have already stated so yeah I'm cutting them some slack.

But no I will not buy these in their current state, I might be lucky or I might not and again as stated already I'm not playing the lottery with these expensive items.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, Chris56057 said:

- Every model has a fault - YES. Starting with the gauge and then each individual model has it's own specific faults. But is RTR too much of a demand? When you buy a Hattons Class 66, it's either an RTR model or a beautifully carved potato!

- It will be the ultimate one, when it actually works and when it's basic mechanics are fine. You got a perfect one? Congratulations! I bet you wouldn't be singing the same song if you got a dud. And I'd rather have the Bachmann or Hornby version than the Hattons one.

- No one said it's the end of the world. The problem is the Hattons Class 66 is currently eye-candy. It's not really an RTR model unless we have the same luck as you? Whether Hattons reimburse you for postage or not is besides the point. We're in the middle of a global pandemic. With each nation handling it in different ways, some places are not doing as well as others. People like me haven't been able to send/receive parcels since March. Postage charges for me are much higher than the UK. I spend double the cost to send a model to the UK than the receive one from the UK. And when you work part time like me, every penny counts.

- I'm sorry, if we all had to be cutting manufacturers some slack we won't be getting the kind of high-spec models we get today.  I don't see why some people can never accept the fact that a model is flawed and it's well within people's rights to be disappointed and voice their concerns. The fact of the matter is that the Hattons Class 66 doesn't really do what it says on the box (in many cases).

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/08/2020 at 13:35, john new said:

Happy with my 66 apart from one issue, it decouples on 2nd radius curves due to lack of coupling hook swinging room in the modern style small couplings. As I may have the opportunity shortly (SWMBO permitting) of laying an outdoor patio layout/test loop* can anyone advise the minimum curvature they will stay coupled at?

What are they like over PECO 2ft radius points as 3ft would intrude a bit too far into the residual area?

* gained a massive amount of free, recycled, plywood as result of a flat roof repair.

Having put the oval of track out on the garden table today to run in my new Bachmann Cl 20 I also got out the 66 for some more running in and looked a bit more at this coupling issue. The root of the problem is that the weird arrangement for mounting the coupling is body mounted rather than bogie mounted.  The result Is that on a curve it seems to be body centric, not track centric, so hardly surprising there are problems. 

On my shunting plank the 66 will not regularly appear* (so the 2nd radius there won’t matter) but for any other future layout I do need to know what the actual minimum radius it will take with stock attached is.

* the lines it is fictitiously representing a spur from (DVLR & Foss Islands Branch. York) had both been closed & lifted before the 66s were introduced.

Edited by john new
Chassis changed to bogie mounted which I had meant!
  • Like 3

Agree no model is perfect but you would at least expect it to run properly out of the box without wobbling like a drunk & AB bits falling off thus its a tooling issue that needs to be rectified, plus there is that lighting issue on the large round headlight variants that nobody can fix unless you're an electrical engineer.

I agree with this entirely, no further comments to make. 

Why should we be grateful, its a Want not a need and it isn't yet the ultimate 66 but has the potential to be just that!

I'm just thinking about the bigger picture here - the model is very well set up now to become the ultimate 66. 

Who says its the end of the world???...definitely not for me lol

Now what you're missing here is the fact if you purchased DCC Fitted or DCC Sound then sending it back will not get you the same model back in exchange as they have all but sold out and Hattons will not retro fit a DCC chip or Sound chip unless you pay the extra cost on another model of the same type and then you are crossing your fingers again that it runs ok.

I didn't realise this, so fully accept these comments. 

I'm personally waiting in the wings until the issues are fixed in hopefully the next batch, if they get fixed then'll buy loads (more than 1) as I have already stated so yeah I'm cutting them some slack.

But no I will not buy these in their current state, I might be lucky or I might not and again as stated already I'm not playing the lottery with these expensive items.

Hopefully the issues will be taken on board and further releases are better.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Every model has a fault - YES. Starting with the gauge and then each individual model has it's own specific faults. But is RTR too much of a demand? When you buy a Hattons Class 66, it's either an RTR model or a beautifully carved potato!

Judging by the last 158 pages of this thread, I think you're right..

- It will be the ultimate one, when it actually works and when it's basic mechanics are fine. You got a perfect one? Congratulations! I bet you wouldn't be singing the same song if you got a dud. And I'd rather have the Bachmann or Hornby version than the Hattons one.

I wouldn't say it's perfect, but it certainly runs well out of the box and there's no hidden faults or issues. Perhaps I wouldn't be on the same page if I had a dud, but I'm also aware that manufacturing RTR models is no easy task and so prefer to take the view that coming down hard on businesses like this isn't actually that helpful. Plus, if I had a dud model, I would probably have exchanged it for another - I'm sure they're not all faulty! 

- No one said it's the end of the world. The problem is the Hattons Class 66 is currently eye-candy. It's not really an RTR model unless we have the same luck as you? Whether Hattons reimburse you for postage or not is besides the point. We're in the middle of a global pandemic. With each nation handling it in different ways, some places are not doing as well as others. People like me haven't been able to send/receive parcels since March. Postage charges for me are much higher than the UK. I spend double the cost to send a model to the UK than the receive one from the UK. And when you work part time like me, every penny counts.

I agree with your sentiments about postage and the charges associated with all of this. Perhaps in a year's time all the issues with the model itself will have been ironed out. 

- I'm sorry, if we all had to be cutting manufacturers some slack we won't be getting the kind of high-spec models we get today.  I don't see why some people can never accept the fact that a model is flawed and it's well within people's rights to be disappointed and voice their concerns. The fact of the matter is that the Hattons Class 66 doesn't really do what it says on the box (in many cases).

I can accept the model is flawed and that comments need to be made so that the problems can be put right, but the big picture is that ultimately we have got a good base for a solid model of a 66 - much further ahead than the Bachmann model in detail, lighting configurations etc and general body shape so let's be positive about that fact and hope that the issues that have been so widely discussed will be cleared up. 

Edited by Chris56057

59 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I will just leave this here again,over 4 months ago,not a peep from Hattons,i was shot at then,seems we all want the answer now,funny that.

But I think the points you were "shot at" with still stand.

There is not a good reason at the moment for Hattons to say anything about anything they are doing for potential future batches, as making people want to wait for another batch just works against their immediate issue of what is probably thousands of models they currently have in stock.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

But I think the points you were "shot at" with still stand.

There is not a good reason at the moment for Hattons to say anything about anything they are doing for potential future batches, as making people want to wait for another batch just works against their immediate issue of what is probably thousands of models they currently have in stock.

They are a business at the end of the day, this current stock needs to sell one way or another for maximum profitability.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Chris56057 said:

They are a business at the end of the day, this current stock needs to sell one way or another for maximum profitability.

My point exactly. Saying there is going to be a perfect 2nd batch is going to hamper that.

3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Who said there is going to be a “ perfect “ second batch ?

Nobody, again that's what I am getting at....

IF they do more, what's the point in them coming out now (like some are saying they should) and claim they are going to sort all the issues out for the "next" batch? It will just screw over the stock they already have and I assume have paid for.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 2

On 07/08/2020 at 11:26, martin_l_jones said:

I may be wrong but I think some variants have been held back. My 66623 DCC fitted was exchanged but no stock of this item is actually showing at Hattons.

Unless it was a return, but fortunately it appears fault free. 

Probably being added in to stock in batches as the axle boxes etc are glued back in at ranch. r

Had 3 goes at 66587, got one now that is acceptable. Not a wobbler thankfully, just adhesive residue to get rid of.

Happy enough now.

Edited by chris37422

• RMweb Premium

I am a keen supporter of Hattons, but their PR on this model has been woefully lacking. To give customer confidence in your products you must engage with them even if there are some bitter pills to swallow. Hattons set the 66 up as the ultimate version, well it is not, there are too many niggles and QC issues for this to be the ultimate 66, because they have set themselves up for a fall. There will be other in the wings who will produce a better model than this one in the future and learn fron Hattons mistakes. I have one 66 from them it has niggles which I can resolve, but I will not buy another.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

14 hours ago, chris37422 said:

Probably being added in to stock in batches as the axle boxes etc are glued back in at ranch. r

Had 3 goes at 66587, got one now that is acceptable. Not a wobbler thankfully, just adhesive residue to get rid of.

Happy enough now.

Have you found a good solution to getting rid of the extra glue ?

On 09/08/2020 at 11:15, 7013 said:

I am a keen supporter of Hattons, but their PR on this model has been woefully lacking. To give customer confidence in your products you must engage with them even if there are some bitter pills to swallow. Hattons set the 66 up as the ultimate version, well it is not, there are too many niggles and QC issues for this to be the ultimate 66, because they have set themselves up for a fall. There will be other in the wings who will produce a better model than this one in the future and learn fron Hattons mistakes. I have one 66 from them it has niggles which I can resolve, but I will not buy another.

If it was not going up against the other manufacturers, then it would be a celebrated model despite the niggles.

I have heard no complaints on RMWeb about major livery issues, (I don't think the new Freightliner livery looks good even when it is correct) body proportions and haulage capabilities, all of which are the important parts of the model and have been the Achilles heel of models such as the Dapol 73, or the DJM 71 or indeed the recent Hornby 60

The axle boxes would have been a nice feature for some- I don't think the 2nd batch should have them if it is causing all of these problems and maybe the price can drop lower due to less assembly time.

I am only interested in the ONE livery but I am holding back before buying - what worries me is could the Hattons model sit comfortably besides my Bachmann 66's  - or will I start to think about changing the entire fleet? (I am very happy with my Bachmann 66's - they can easily haul 17 MBA wagons)

Edited by letterspider
  • Thanks 1