Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve recently purchased a Hatton’s RHTT set and I’m now at a quandary as do I buy two Hatton’s EWS/DBC Class 66’s or go with a pair of Bachmann Class 66’s?

I feel I need to buy a matching pair for speed matching etc, and as they are going to be heavily weathered, I’m torn between Hatton’s and Bachmann but I feel a pair of second hand Bachmann 66’s would be easier to source and then weather.

It's not  that difficult to source a couple of second hand Hattons 66s at the mo..............

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults.aspx?searchfield=h4-66 pre-owned

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

It's not  that difficult to source a couple of second hand Hattons 66s at the mo..............

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults.aspx?searchfield=h4-66 pre-owned

I just bought a Cemex liveried Hattons 66 for £100 as it had a “slight wobble”. Did my fix as mentioned earlier in this forum and now running beautifully.

Knock the spots off a Bachmann 66 in my opinion and definitely the 66 of choice.

As Mick says, plenty of bargains on Hattons website.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/10/2020 at 17:59, TomScrut said:

Do they have to be 66s? Pretty much any class from this era has or continues to pull these trains.

I’ve decided to get the Hatton’s version but I’m in no rush as they will be quite heavily weathered, any small blemishes can be quite easily hidden.  As long they run well, I’ll be happy ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, JohnC said:

I just bought a Cemex liveried Hattons 66 for £100 as it had a “slight wobble”. Did my fix as mentioned earlier in this forum and now running beautifully.

Knock the spots off a Bachmann 66 in my opinion and definitely the 66 of choice.

As Mick says, plenty of bargains on Hattons website.

Using the link I posted shows an up to date listing.

There weren't any sound ones the other day - but there's a few now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, newbryford said:

Using the link I posted shows an up to date listing.

There weren't any sound ones the other day - but there's a few now.

Yes the link is handy to check stock, I personally am looking out for a 66097 on the cheap as I need (sorry, could do with) a DB workhorse and I would like to fit the stag sign to it

I have picked up eight of them, ranging from Digital Fitted (110GBP) to Sound (230GBP) , figuring at those prices less VAT they are worth fixing.  Cheaper than Bachmann.   So that’s 96 axle caps to be cut short and glued into the bogie frames!!  Yes you guessed it, I can’ be ar**d hunting down axlebox covers on the layout in years to come.

I reckon once this whole sorry saga is over for Hattons the exercise won’t be repeated so its now or never.....

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

On 20/10/2020 at 17:34, dave56 said:

Wow they must of had a hell of a lot of returns.

I have 4 of them, to get those 4 I sent 5 back.

And to make matters worse I had grounds to send 2 of the 4 I have back but I couldn't be bothered.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

28 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Anyone had issues with some of them where the day / night lighting doesn't switch over?

Do you mean with the physical switch or with a 10 function decoder?

Most of my returns were because of lighting functions requiring the buffer stage with a 10 function decoder (night & cab lights) were not working. I had different combinations of these 4 lights not working on different models. I think it is down to the buffers themselves but I aren't sure. I ended up with 2 with working night lights and decided I'd sort cab another time as I hardly use them.

The LEDs and wiring seemed OK as they would swap when manually switched over in 6 function mode (in the case of nights, cab needs 10 function full stop).

6 hours ago, Johnfromoz said:

I have picked up eight of them, ranging from Digital Fitted (110GBP) to Sound (230GBP) , figuring at those prices less VAT they are worth fixing.  Cheaper than Bachmann.   So that’s 96 axle caps to be cut short and glued into the bogie frames!!  Yes you guessed it, I can’ be ar**d hunting down axlebox covers on the layout in years to come.

I reckon once this whole sorry saga is over for Hattons the exercise won’t be repeated so its now or never.....

6 hours ago, Johnfromoz said:

Might I suggest another option (suggested as I simultaneously run for cover), you have a go at fixing your 96 axleboxes and enjoy them revolving!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Edna Clouds said:

Might I suggest another option (suggested as I simultaneously run for cover), you have a go at fixing your 96 axleboxes and enjoy them revolving!

No.  Until or if the are re-engineered I have no confidence that in the long term, all will remain attached.  In any case, it is not a feature of importance to me.  This issue has been done to death BTW.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Ive got mine with sound decoders fitted -  but they seem to run in day light mode with all lit, then when you press night lighting the white headline doesnt swap sides and lights up. You get top marker lit and the both side markers but no headlight. 

May I ask, are these purchases of new or 'pre-owned' models?

cheers

Al

3 hours ago, YesTor said:

May I ask, are these purchases of new or 'pre-owned' models?

cheers

Al

Hi Al

The assumption is that they are returned for issues described in the listing such as, axle boxes, scratches, paint work marks, glue on certain parts including roof mesh and bogies. 

So used, but like tested and returned - so use of varying levels. 

The 5 I have, have all been over described with issues and look barely tested.  Also, ordered another digital fitted 66 from Hatton's at 16.30 on Thursday (23/10) and it will be delivered today (24/10).  Fantastic service from them and Royal Mail, when you consider where it goes and how far it is travelling to the SW...! 

Cheers

Edited by GEOEng03
Number I have
  • Like 1

Not quite sure on the pricing structure though.

It seems not to follow any pattern.

I'd be tempted by a pre-owned one but wonder if they'll correct some of the model engineering problems and release more running numbers.  Plus, I went and bought a 67 with the sound now.  But then I guess I could always sell that and get a 66 instead... decisions, decisions...

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I'd be tempted by a pre-owned one but wonder if they'll correct some of the model engineering problems and release more running numbers.  

I'd say that rather depends on whether this first batch has made money or not; like I always say, if enough people wait for the second batch there won't be one.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I'd say that rather depends on whether this first batch has made money or not; like I always say, if enough people wait for the second batch there won't be one.

I went through three of them before giving up.

Less than some but I wasn't that desperate for one.

Problems consisted of: motor pulsing on two struggling round a 4th radius curve with one and wobbling with all, severely on one.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I went through three of them before giving up.

Less than some but I wasn't that desperate for one.

Problems consisted of: motor pulsing on two struggling round a 4th radius curve with one and wobbling with all, severely on one.

I'm not saying there aren't problems, just that business is business and if they're not making money on them it's highly unlikely there will be any more.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Not quite sure on the pricing structure though.

It seems not to follow any pattern.

I'd be tempted by a pre-owned one but wonder if they'll correct some of the model engineering problems and release more running numbers.  Plus, I went and bought a 67 with the sound now.  But then I guess I could always sell that and get a 66 instead... decisions, decisions...

The engineering problems would not be hard, or costly, to correct. 95% of the problems are related to the rotating axle boxes, a redesign there is limited in scope.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I'm not saying there aren't problems, just that business is business and if they're not making money on them it's highly unlikely there will be any more.

All respect but I doubt anyone here knows how many they made and sold.

For all we know it could have been a huge sale and huge success, but with a huge sale comes the usual 1% of issues, which are simply magnified to a larger number by volume of sales.

My three are fine out of the box, no need to return... how many others are there like me, who hear all, see all but say nowt, as theres no chance to be heard above the rioting noise, of what could be a larger than normal minority..simply because they bought in sixes and nines, rather than the usual one or two ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Yep, of course.

But I'd be surprised if they haven't made enough money to think about another run.  Maybe it was even planned anyway?  We'll never know that.  Selling the product cheaper may be a stroke of genius as it's opened the door for many others.

The question I really should be answering is whether, considering I am a DMU / passenger person really, should I actually consider the Hornby 66 instead.  I can pimp it with the Legomanbiffo sounds I should think, so it'll just be the body that looks a little more basic.

18 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Do you mean with the physical switch or with a 10 function decoder?

Most of my returns were because of lighting functions requiring the buffer stage with a 10 function decoder (night & cab lights) were not working. I had different combinations of these 4 lights not working on different models. I think it is down to the buffers themselves but I aren't sure. I ended up with 2 with working night lights and decided I'd sort cab another time as I hardly use them.

The LEDs and wiring seemed OK as they would swap when manually switched over in 6 function mode (in the case of nights, cab needs 10 function full stop).

How do you mean buffer stage. I am thinking the black box where the LEDS light up might not line up with the body fully, thus causing the light not to travel through and light up the front.