Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

if anyone fancies taking a risk on buying a second hand one with postage, for £1 more than buying a new one without the risks...

There is this..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hattons-Class-66-ONE-livery-66-587-H4-66-037-/164508677601?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

:)

The issue perhaps is whether it is still covered by the Hattons warranty if purchased from somewhere else thus I would check that first before committing.

I had that issue with a Bachmann Class 70 which I purchased from a seller on eBay brand new and because I didn't get it from a Bachmann authorized retailer the warranty was voided even though I was provided with the original purchase receipt from the seller showing the date of purchase...something just worth checking when buying model railway products off eBay if not sold by an authorized retailer.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, classy52 said:

The issue perhaps is whether it is still covered by the Hattons warranty if purchased from somewhere else thus I would check that first before committing.

I had that issue with a Bachmann Class 70 which I purchased from a seller on eBay brand new and because I didn't get it from a Bachmann authorized retailer the warranty was voided even though I was provided with the original purchase receipt from the seller showing the date of purchase...something just worth checking when buying model railway products off eBay if not sold by an authorized retailer.

You can only buy a new 66 from Hattons, they have a record of every sale.

So why buy it off ebay anyway, when you can just buy it from Hattons, saving yourself a quid in the process and having the piece of mind of it genuinely being a new one.

If it were cheaper, then yes you pays your money you pays the price, but thats whole point of being cheaper, not more.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

28 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

You can only buy a new 66 from Hattons, they have a record of every sale.

Yes correct.

So why buy it off ebay anyway, when you can just buy it from Hattons, saving yourself a quid in the process and having the piece of mind of it genuinely being a new one.

Yep can't argue with that thus doesn't make any sense buying that one off eBay unless they reduce it by a good margin to make it worthwhile in taking the risk with any warranty hurdles that may transpire or not.

If it were cheaper, then yes you pays your money you pays the price, but thats whole point of being cheaper, not more.

Absolutely...

I was just giving anyone a heads up to be cautious that's all based on my own personal experience with a Bachmann loco.

Edit: Spoke to Hattons & yes if you do want to purchase a Hattons 66 or any other product not directly from them, then make sure who you buy it from is an authorized seller otherwise you'll have to wear the risk if the product fails after purchase within its warranty period.

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 2

Just a heads up everyone Hattons have greatly reduced their DCC Ready Class 66 prices on new models from £150 down to a starting price of £119...absolute bargain on these!

In addition it appears their used prices have also been reduced further as well.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, classy52 said:

Just a heads up everyone Hattons have greatly reduced their DCC Ready Class 66 prices on new models from £150 down to a starting price of £119...absolute bargain on these!

In addition it appears their used prices have also been reduced further as well.

Shifting stock in preparation for a new, wobble free, batch?:D

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

At £119 there a few I'd like although I'll probably only get one. It's a massive difference vs £150 even though it's "only" 20% off it does represent excellent value I think.

£99 for some of the returned/pre-owned locos. They may already have gone by now.

Knowing the fault can easily be fixed - now that's a bargain!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Just now, newbryford said:

£99 for some of the returned/pre-owned locos. They may already have gone by now.

The one I want is 097 which none have been done as pre owned I don't think as I have been keeping an eye out!

3 hours ago, classy52 said:

2 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

Shifting stock in preparation for a new, wobble free, batch?:D

This is part of Hattons' wider 2020 Festive Sale. So, while it's a bargain (too good for me to resist), it shouldn't be seen as anything more than that IMO.

Edited by truffy
added link and clarification
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Have to agree. As someone who is not fussed about the axle box feature, I have picked up a dozen of these at around the 100GBP mark, cut and fixed the axle box caps to the bogie frames. Result is that all without exception are now excellent runners.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

now the price has come down, the difference of about £30 to a Hornby 66 sounds very good and a more than reasonable difference for such a detailed model (especially given the fixes for the hattons 66 are explain on here). do i need another 66.................

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Eden Road TMD said:

I’ve bought two pre-owned. I know the faults so worth a punt. £204 for the pair. 

Can't complain at that price, and looks like one had to be quick! I picked up 66125 for £105 so happy with that.

Let's hope there's some yet to be announced new liveries, and maybe improvements on a Version 2 model to come with this stock clear out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, big jim said:

Well done hattons, biffa ordered dinner time yesterday and delivered this afternoon

its one of the cheap returns, I’ll inspect it later on, in a layout mood this evening as I’ve not got to be up early tomorrow 

Same delivery timescale for me as well. But I've got a 'new' one rather than a return.

So what's the best way to approach the opening? This is what I'm thinking based on what I've read in all 165 pages on this thread:

Remove carefully from packaging in case anything falls off - open over a white towel

Check for anything loose

Check for bag of extras

Check / count axle boxes - check for excess glue

Check grills / handrails for damage

Check body for glue marks - not sure if I've got one with etched name plates - it's the DRS Kingsmoor 66301

Place carefully on track

Provide power - I run DC so no need to set up chip

Assuming it moves check for wobble, lights & movement of axle boxes

After one circuit of track check / count axle boxes 

Operate in reverse direction and recheck as above

Anything obvious I've missed?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

Has anyone tried renumbering any Hattons Class 66's.  Would have liked to do a Colas 66850, but unsure if the numbers come off easy or are stubborn!

Many Thanks,

Chris.

I posted on the previous page too. I used Humbrol enamel thinner with a cocktail stick, they came off quite easily. Will be renumbering and logoing my EWS example when it arrives, so be interested to see how that goes with the yellow underneath!

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, bartram108 said:

Same delivery timescale for me as well. But I've got a 'new' one rather than a return.

So what's the best way to approach the opening? This is what I'm thinking based on what I've read in all 165 pages on this thread:

Remove carefully from packaging in case anything falls off - open over a white towel

Check for anything loose

Check for bag of extras

Check / count axle boxes - check for excess glue

Check grills / handrails for damage

Check body for glue marks - not sure if I've got one with etched name plates - it's the DRS Kingsmoor 66301

Place carefully on track

Provide power - I run DC so no need to set up chip

Assuming it moves check for wobble, lights & movement of axle boxes

After one circuit of track check / count axle boxes 

Operate in reverse direction and recheck as above

Anything obvious I've missed?

If my second one was anything to go by, make sure the wheels will rotate before applying power. I had three axle boxes glued solid to both the axle and  the bogie side frame.

If you can get it on a rolling road, put the fleshy part of a finger tip on the axle boxes  to gentle push them as the loco runs - if they stop rotating they are loose and will just fall off (and maybe get lost) during running. It is not always evident that they are loose on just inspection. If you haven't got a rolling road, put the loco upside on the foam from the box and apply track power to the wheels - mush easier with an assistant!

Roy

1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

I posted on the previous page too. I used Humbrol enamel thinner with a cocktail stick, they came off quite easily. Will be renumbering and logoing my EWS example when it arrives, so be interested to see how that goes with the yellow underneath!

Hi - Thanks.  Looks good.  F/L seems to be a good one to spersonalise.  Hows the hunt for greener numbers going?  Hopefully a Colas would go pretty well too.

Out of interest - Has anyone been really brave and tried on either GBRF or Barbie Livery?  

Best Wishes,

Chris

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

If my second one was anything to go by, make sure the wheels will rotate before applying power. I had three axle boxes glued solid to both the axle and  the bogie side frame.

If you can get it on a rolling road, put the fleshy part of a finger tip on the axle boxes  to gentle push them as the loco runs - if they stop rotating they are loose and will just fall off (and maybe get lost) during running. It is not always evident that they are loose on just inspection. If you haven't got a rolling road, put the loco upside on the foam from the box and apply track power to the wheels - mush easier with an assistant!

Roy

Thanks for the advice - I don't have an R/R but I can try the wheels with the loco upside down in the box fairly easily