Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

4 hours ago, KDG said:

Mrs KDG has, on my suggestion, bought me 66789 for Christmas. My first Hattons 66 and I consider it to be a bargain at £119.

Can't test it until 25/12 though.   Yikes.

I’m sure their online chat will be working on Boxing Day !

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I’m sure their online chat will be working on Boxing Day !

Everything crossed I won't need them Rob! Like to think minor snags I'd fix myself - unless it wobbles like a drunk duck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDG said:

Everything crossed I won't need them Rob! Like to think minor snags I'd fix myself - unless it wobbles like a drunk duck.

Got one today, got the body off easily...but gently.then added stronger adhesive over the detailing parts on the body shell. Chipped tested, body wobbles as predicted,  so removed and cut back the axle box shafts, glued back in place and now steady as a rock.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NickL2008 said:

Anyone tried to renumber one of these, or know which page roughly in this topic? 66005 has sold out now, so will have to settle for another one a renumber it

NL

There is a 66005 still on the pre-owned list:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/590232/hattons_originals_h4_66_001_po05_class_66_66005_in_ews_livery_pre_owned_glue_marks_on_roof_missing_front_steps/stockdetail.aspx

The missing front step on the deflector plate is an easy fix with a tiny bitof styrene.

(Or nick one from the alternate buffer beam pack supplied with each loco)

If the "glue marks on roof" are anything to go by, my 66783 took nothing more than a tiny dab of paint and weathering to disguise it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

There is a 66005 still on the pre-owned list:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/590232/hattons_originals_h4_66_001_po05_class_66_66005_in_ews_livery_pre_owned_glue_marks_on_roof_missing_front_steps/stockdetail.aspx

The missing front step on the deflector plate is an easy fix with a tiny bitof styrene.

(Or nick one from the alternate buffer beam pack supplied with each loco)

If the "glue marks on roof" are anything to go by, my 66783 took nothing more than a tiny dab of paint and weathering to disguise it.

Notcied that Mick, if it stays there may grab that one, the other locos have the wing mirrors on (sure easily removed) as the loco will need to be in as new condition (1998-2000)

NL

On 26/11/2020 at 21:36, Roy Langridge said:

If a jobs worth doing, it’s worth doing properly. My Dad used to tell me that all the time as a young lad, and it is very true...

Roy

Yes, you're right. My dad - a marine engineer ("you can't go to the stores for a spare part in the middle of the Indian Ocean lad; you need to be able fix things and make them work") - would be very dispirited were I to 'give in' now. Right then, Hatton's for new axleboxes (happily, I'm not in the middle of the Indian Ocean!) and get cracking.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

This just in...first time I've noticed that Cemex 66780 has a pretty distinct light bleed thru the dark blue roof at both ends above the marker light, the one which is above the cab windows.

A bit of black tac stuck on the inside the roof will solve that or anything else really...

• Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

Out of interest iI wonder if the reduction is because they're now all previously returned examples?

No the reduction is on their remaining brand new Class 66 models as part of their Festive sale, further reductions can be had on pre-owned or returned items as they appear each day.

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pmorgancym said:

I am tempted but I've read too about bits dropping off to make me take the plunge.

I was like you a few months back but I took the plunge, trust me its worth it & you'll never buy another Bachmann 66 again...yes you have to be careful with it but that's what you get with extreme detail and they are now basically cheaper than brand new Bachmann's but of much higher quality detail with excellent weight and powerful motors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I was like you a few months back but I took the plunge, trust me its worth it & you'll never buy another Bachmann 66 again...yes you have to be careful with it but that's what you get with extreme detail and they are now basically cheaper than brand new Bachmann's but of much higher quality detail with excellent weight and powerful motors.

As the price is now compatible to Bachmann. , it’d be hard to get another Bachmann but I’ll take extreme robustness over detail I think given the choice 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

As the price is now compatible to Bachmann. , it’d be hard to get another Bachmann but I’ll take extreme robustness over detail I think given the choice 

Each to their own but the Bachmann looks tired and I suppose you'll get robustness with less detail, same can be said if you compared the Bachmann to the Hornby 66 where you can handle that one like a football without worrying about the detail because there isn't any and is priced accordingly.

When you also take into account the weight, pulling power & functionality of the Hattons 66 it is actually a top end model especially at its current prices which either undercut or are the same as its direct competition.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive undeniably gone in size 9 feet first.

It took me a year, but my first 3 were fine, waited a year, and now I’ve gone nuts.

They are a really nice super detailed model, that runs really well, heavy weight and smooth.

The trade off is potential of bit of a fiddle about with it, but once your done, your looking at one of the very best rtr diesels in the OO market place... and your not going to see this price again, I’m pretty sure, given Bachmann's class 57’s just passed the £200 barrier.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, classy52 said:

Each to their own but the Bachmann looks tired and I suppose you'll get robustness with less detail, same can be said if you compared the Bachmann to the Hornby 66 where you can handle that one like a football without worrying about the detail because there isn't any and is priced accordingly.

When you also take into account the weight, pulling power & functionality of the Hattons 66 it is actually a top end model especially at its current prices which either undercut or are the same as its direct competition.

You talk about top end model, but that would start with getting the blinking EWS font right !

functionality wise - all these sound things leave me cold, TBH. I don’t want a user manual to challenge the one that comes with a car , with a model train .

But like you say each to their own and it’s a broad spectrum from the Lima 66 to the Hattons .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

functionality wise - all these sound things leave me cold, TBH. I don’t want a user manual to challenge the one that comes with a car , with a model train .

Totally agree, Rob. Added to that, and not wishing to get into the aural equivalent of a colour space debate, the videos that I’ve seen, sorry, heard, make them sound a bit weak or flat. Dunno, just not the ‘presence’ that I’d expect. And I’m only running DC. So the DC-ready one was a bit of a bargain. 

But for those who appreciate the sound, it’s great that it’s there As an option. 

Edited by truffy
Who knows the secret of the Black Magic box?

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

You talk about top end model, but that would start with getting the blinking EWS font right !

But like you say each to their own and it’s a broad spectrum from the Lima 66 to the Hattons .

Yes Hattons have got the EWS font incorrect as it is not the same thickness as the number but too be honest which manufacturer has got anything on a model loco 100% correct?...ok we wait for Accurascale but lets just leave it here on this debate of accuracy.

I've taken the stance that I will avoid purchasing the Hattons 66's which have glaring livery or lighting faults thus based on that I will have about 8 of these that still knock Bachmann for six & at £119 (or less for pre-owned) there isn't any sense in buying the competition.

Now come on Rob, the user leaflet is no more complex than the one from Bachmann or any other manufacturer who does a loco with sound.

12 minutes ago, truffy said:

Totally agree, Rob. Added to that, and not wishing to get into the aural equivalent of a colour space debate, the videos that I’ve seen, sorry, heard, make them sound a bit weak or flat. Dunno, just not the ‘presence’ that I’d expect. And I’m only running DC. So the DC-ready one was a bit of a bargain. 

Trust me the Hattons 66 sound is far from weak or flat, it literally sounds like the real thing parked in your room and I had to turn the sound down before it brought the roof down....it is really that good!

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 2