Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

I was originally very sceptical after the initial list of complaints was very long, however I’m not averse to doing some m*delling and very occasionally does a manufacturer get everything right, so 9 times out of 10 I’ll find something to improve. After the pre-owned models were listed, I bit and bought an EWS example, which will be renumbered. I’ve found lots of little tweaks which make the model look perfect, in my eyes; I’ll share these when I’m finished.

After handling the model and pouring over photos of the real things, Hattons have (all told) done a superb job, with a few (well-documented) errors. I liked my first shed so much so that yesterday I bought another pre-owned one, with very little wrong - it had the "scratched handrails" note which won’t cost me the £40 saving on RRP, or £10 saving from a new version in this latest sale, to rectify. And a huge bonus, upon taking the body off...an extra set of cab steps/lower handrails, so my model has 5 included - 4 glued to the loco and one in the box...my first EWS model was missing all its cab steps...spooky!

I've gone from highly reluctant to get a Hattons shed to viewing them as great models, with some (annoying and avoidable) issues, however I’ve also got a fleet of Bachmann 66s and I’m not about to go swapping them all out or start comparing the Hattons models to the much older, time-served Bachmann offerings.

Jack.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, rob D2 said:

As the price is now compatible to Bachmann. , it’d be hard to get another Bachmann but I’ll take extreme robustness over detail I think given the choice 

Actually the latest Bachmann ones appear to be more expensive.

As for the issues:

There are several options for axle boxes: get some spares from Hattons, pull them off & fix the ends only so they don't rotate (Bachmann ones don't rotate anyway) or 3d print your own.

Lighting: some options sometimes don't work but Bachmann ones have less lighting functionality. This is like choosing a 100bhp car because the 150hp model actually has 'only 140bhp'.

Some models seem to have a wobble which is not related to the axle boxes, but this is rare.

I have not heard anyone complaining about Hattons customer service. They seem to deal with problems with the minimum of fuss, so it is not like you will get stuck with a faulty model.

All Hattons 66s are 1st batch models. 1st batch Bachmann models have not been fault-free either. The class 90 suffered from screws being too tight, causing bogies to break.

The first class 37s had cab doors recessed way too far. This was resolved. Dealing with returns costs money, so it is entirely in their interests to reduce costs in this area by reducing production issues with further batches.

I am certain Hattons will be planning a 2nd batch. Now the tooling exists, they will want to re-use it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2020 at 21:36, Roy Langridge said:

If a jobs worth doing, it’s worth doing properly. My Dad used to tell me that all the time as a young lad, and it is very true...

Roy

I agree with your Dad, now you have the question of whether it is worth doing ;)

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I have not heard anyone complaining about Hattons customer service. They seem to deal with problems with the minimum of fuss, so it is not like you will get stuck with a faulty model.

In regards to my own experiences with Hattons Customer Service they are one of, if not, the best in the business....an absolute pleasure to deal with.

• Agree 5

5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

You talk about top end model, but that would start with getting the blinking EWS font right !

Yes the livery errors are annoying. I'd have had an orange FL one if it had been the right colour.

Having said that it is also worth noting that in realism terms when a loco is on its way round a layout the lighting is very important IMO, I think the lighting on the Bachmann ones sticks out like a sore thumb as it just looks daft with one headlight and the high marker on. That's on ALL of their models, the livery issues are only on a few (varying) Hattons ones.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Lighting: some options sometimes don't work but Bachmann ones have less lighting functionality. This is like choosing a 100bhp car because the 150hp model actually has 'only 140bhp'.

Couldn't agree more, and this was a point I made to those bleating on about the big light issue a few months ago. It's still more realistic than the Bachmann one they were all going to start buying again!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Although given I have these from Bachmann I expect their values would plummet!

I wouldn't be to concerned as there could be licensing issues that may prevent Hattons replicating those particular 66's, especially the London Underground pair as they were sold as Limited Editions via the London Transport Museum shop.

Would be a shame not to have a Hattons version of these 66's but we'll just have to live with it if that were to be the case.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've now installed ESU V5 + EM2 in my My FL 66/9 and there is no way whatsoever that its sound is remotely flat or weak.  Having said that, I have several Bachmann 66s, including a 66/5 FL with factory sound, and whilst it is not so powerful sounding, I have found the Bachmanns perfectly suitable and reliable for full weekend operations on the exhibition circuit.  I have never had a drive tower and shaft come apart as I foundf when I opened the Hattons loco (beautiful but fragile as it is) to install sound.  Swings and roundabouts.  Nevertheless , each loco manufacturer type has a part to play and I cherish both.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 70000 Britannia said:

I've now installed ESU V5 + EM2 in my My FL 66/9 and there is no way whatsoever that its sound is remotely flat or weak.  Having said that, I have several Bachmann 66s, including a 66/5 FL with factory sound, and whilst it is not so powerful sounding, I have found the Bachmanns perfectly suitable and reliable for full weekend operations on the exhibition circuit.  I have never had a drive tower and shaft come apart as I foundf when I opened the Hattons loco (beautiful but fragile as it is) to install sound.  Swings and roundabouts.  Nevertheless , each loco manufacturer type has a part to play and I cherish both.

Most factory fitted sound seems to be chosen on cost rather than performance. This is particularly true of speakers. After-market TTS is a good example: performance can be improved enormously by replacing the included speaker. Just about anything else would be an improvement.

Hattons 66 is different because they have chosen the decoder, project & speaker for performance rather than on cost, so I don't find it at all surprising that they sound good.

I have a factory sound fitted Hattons 66, so it has this combination & I completely agree with you.

• Agree 1

I’d agree that the Bachmann lighting isn’t right and does look odd . You can fix it but it appears a bit of a bodge drilling a round hole through a rectangular gap .

I’m happy with mine for about £100 a go when they were the only game in town .

I don’t mind sound but it puts models out my price range and to be honest I’d prioritise other diesel classes that don’t have such a ... bloody annoying ... noise TBH .

I certainly don’t need function 277 - “driver fart noise , issues profanity , and mobile phone text message goes off in his pocket “. I dramatise but you get my drift - I don’t need ( can’t afford )a fully immersive driving experience - I’m sure the next step is a camera on board and virtual reality goggles .

but , again , each to their own .

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, rob D2 said:

I’d agree that the Bachmann lighting isn’t right and does look odd . You can fix it but it appears a bit of a bodge drilling a round hole through a rectangular gap .

I’m happy with mine for about £100 a go when they were the only game in town .

I don’t mind sound but it puts models out my price range and to be honest I’d prioritise other diesel classes that don’t have such a ... bloody annoying ... noise TBH .

I certainly don’t need function 277 - “driver fart noise , issues profanity , and mobile phone text message goes off in his pocket “. I dramatise but you get my drift - I don’t need ( can’t afford )a fully immersive driving experience - I’m sure the next step is a camera on board and virtual reality goggles .

but , again , each to their own .

Yeah the few sound locos I have I think I don't do much other than engine and horn to be honest. I cannot be bothered with cab door shutting, and so on.

I have done the Illuminated mod on one, it is a bit of a faff, more of a faff IMO than axle boxes on Hattons 66s for example.

2 hours ago, classy52 said:

I wouldn't be to concerned as there could be licensing issues that may prevent Hattons replicating those particular 66's, especially the London Underground pair as they were sold as Limited Editions via the London Transport Museum shop.

Would be a shame not to have a Hattons version of these 66's but we'll just have to live with it if that were to be the case.

Yes and sorry I should have said I'd still be keen to have Hattons ones. I agreed with the post I was quoting but obviously that's not obvious in the context of my reply!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

£200! Time to find a new hobby!!

You could always take up knitting

£188 for a set of chop sticks with a hole in the end, to thread some cotton in...

https://www.ninetribe.uk/products/knitpro-deluxe-single-points-needle-set-symfonie-12?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzZL-BRDnARIsAPCJs73_dzOPikQ8q9o674YikBDJFESvdGOwfzRZW866ID8YXWg52Aqc6NUaAhVeEALw_wcB

reduced from £312 !!!

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Was £312. It’s a comfort to realise that there are people madder than I am!

• RMweb Gold

Kingmoor and Biffa look to be less than 10 now. 

If you play around on the website, you can get an idea how many are left, in quite a few cases the numbers aren't that high. I was surprised but it looks like quite a few will be gone before year end if it carries on like this.

Given much of the new releases from the majors have delayed until new years, its looking like a 66 christmas. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

The sound on Hattons 66 is the best rtr from any manufacturer on the British market as far as I’m concerned. 

Recently Bachmann has produced great models of the 158/159/121/117 but the speakers are weak. 

Sound file is good, in my humble opinion the em2 is the wrong speaker, way to bassy.  I've a mix of megabass and a boombox on mine and they have a much more quality sound. I also note the Hatton loco doesn't have slots to allow the sound to escape upwards, in essence,  there's a solid baffle in the way. On the Bachmann 66,sound can freely emit with minimal obstruction due to the slots in the top radiator . I'm tempted to cut some slots into the radiator on the Hatton model to see what difference it makes.

Edited by aquilla
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, classy52 said:

LTM are notoriously difficult to deal with and they guard the copyright religiously.  Basically, if Hatton’s did want to do the London Underground pair, they would have to be sold exclusively through the LTM shop, probably at a higher price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aquilla said:

Sound file is good, in my humble opinion the em2 is the wrong speaker, way to bassy.  I've a mix of megabass and a boombox on mine and they have a much more quality sound. I also note the Hatton loco doesn't have slots to allow the sound to escape upwards, in essence,  there's a solid baffle in the way. On the Bachmann 66,sound can freely emit with minimal obstruction due to the slots in the top radiator . I'm tempted to cut some slots into the radiator on the Hatton model to see what difference it makes.

Totally agree, I've installed these 40mm x 28mm Alan Butcher speakers in my two new DCC Ready ones and I much prefer it. Custom speaker enclosure the same size of the EM2 so its very loud and clear.

20201129_144335_copy_1024x768.jpg.f4af2f3a4c17b2b978594e2335498b47.jpg

Hi guys has anyone purchased on of the digital fitted class 66s? I've had two arrive today and when I put them on my track they lurch forward with lights in and won't respond to anything. Any ideas what it could be before i contact hattons? I've got a sound fitted 66 and that's working fine. I'm using a Hornby select with the latest firmware. 

Any help would be great.

Regards Gary 

• RMweb Gold

Middle son has just bought himself a DRS 66 with his pocket money and it arrived today. Three loose axle boxes and a missing step on the front, all easy fixes. No glue marks, no wobble, nameplates straight - he is a very happy boy.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, gary_lner said:

Hi guys has anyone purchased on of the digital fitted class 66s? I've had two arrive today and when I put them on my track they lurch forward with lights in and won't respond to anything. Any ideas what it could be before i contact hattons? I've got a sound fitted 66 and that's working fine. I'm using a Hornby select with the latest firmware. 

Any help would be great.

Regards Gary 

Hi Gary,

I have bought four DCC fitted 66's and have had no problems with control. The lights do come on as soon as you place the locomotive on the track and stay on unless you turn them off. I use a Gaugemaster controller.

Cheers, Martin 

11 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

But that is because the EM2 points downwards...

Roy

Yes, I removed mine, the bass was totally not what a 66 is like. The sound needs to escape, with the Hatton model as it stands it's trapped in the loco. I've got a Jamie goodman file in both a hattons 66 and Bachmann,  and the Bachmann is far more realistic, nice high pitched whine that the 66 has. Both are fitted with megabass speakers. I've tried the speaker in both orientations in the hattons. My plan is to drill a number of small 1.5mm holes under the roof grill as per Bachmann and see what happens.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1