Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

53 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I was getting sick of taking them to the post office.

I know how you feel, have sent 3 back already because of sound & lighting issues.

Got another 2 pre-owned (like new) but one has a missing detail pack which is annoying because it is for the Freightliner ONE Pink which has a different yellow than the others on the top part of the apron thus on the verge of sending that back because I have been informed by Hattons there are no spare detail packs for that particular loco.

The other is the Freightliner Green 66957 where the detail pack is from the EWS 66 loco thus completely different aprons to the Freightliner variant but waiting on Hattons to get back to me on whether they have any spare for my loco, just annoying little things, anyway have 6 66's now and looking to get 2 more so I just keep on going back for more :banghead:

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Richard Croft said:

That could explain the cab lights, the night lights should work whether the body is on or not though so at least those cane be tested before the body is put back to minimise risk to the hand rails and pipes

Richard

Couple of patch leads from body to small PCB let you test the lights with the body off. Something like these: Patch Lead

Roy

Night headlight in one end on one of my 66’s would stay on all the time. Eventually I found that the circuit board underside was shorting in the motor body. Couple of pieces of insulation tape on top of the motor sorted the problem. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I note that the price of pre-owned 66s has been creeping back up. Today we have a 66848 at a higher cost pre-owned (£122) than new (£119) :o

Roy

Maybe its a sign that the end of this promo is coming ?

After much reading through this topic to the various niggles & issues people have had I finally took the plunge & ordered myself 66783. Have to say on testing the loco out it runs an absolute treat. All axleboxes intact, no wobble & all lights correctly working. I had to remove the body to gain access to the switches inside & this is where my personal problems lay. Those steps & hanging pipework really are so delicate & even being gentle saw a couple of the step sides snapping off. Despite these small problems though, Hattons really are onto something big with these, The Bachmann offering has served us well over the years as being the best looking RTR version, but the Hattons version knocks the Bachmann offering out of the park! I'm not a fan of 66's at all in real life but these models tick every single box. 

• Agree 4

Not sure if that has been posted already thus apologies in advance for repeating, this is in regards to a fix for the lighting issue on the large headlight (bug-eyed) versions of the Hattons Class 66.

A company called Illuminated Models (have no affiliation) have a modification board for sale to fix the the issue and very cheap and easy as well requiring basic soldering skills and a little bit of work installing, I stumbled across this recently thus thought it would be useful to post in this thread and must admit gives me renewed interest in purchasing the current large headlight 66's which I hadn't done previously...see direct link below to the product.

https://www.illuminatedmodels.co.uk/products/hattons-bug-eye-class-66-modification-board

They have also posted a YouTube video on how to do this, link below.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

An aftermarket 'fix' which needs purchasing and soldering in by the end user on a brand new state of the art model. Even without wading through 171 pages, that sort of tells me these aren't the premium product originally envisioned.

Edited by blueeighties
Typo
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, blueeighties said:

An aftermarket 'fix' which needs purchasing and soldering in by the end user. Even without wading through 171 pages, that sort of tells me these aren't the premium product originally envisioned.

Just an option if you see fit to pursue it, nothing more nothing less and yes already done to death but no doubt some hard lessons learned for Hattons on this product...hopefully they'll deliver the ultimate 66 in their next batch if they do it.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, classy52 said:

Not sure if that has been posted already thus apologies in advance for repeating, this is in regards to a fix for the lighting issue on the large headlight (bug-eyed) versions of the Hattons Class 66.

A company called Illuminated Models (have no affiliation) have a modification board for sale to fix the the issue and very cheap and easy as well requiring basic soldering skills and a little bit of work installing, I stumbled across this recently thus thought it would be useful to post in this thread and must admit gives me renewed interest in purchasing the current large headlight 66's which I hadn't done previously...see direct link below to the product.

https://www.illuminatedmodels.co.uk/products/hattons-bug-eye-class-66-modification-board

They have also posted a YouTube video on how to do this, link below.

This looks good, but the main headlight colour is still too warm. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, blueeighties said:

An aftermarket 'fix' which needs purchasing and soldering in by the end user on a brand new state of the art model. Even without wading through 171 pages, that sort of tells me these aren't the premium product originally envisioned.

Issues, yes but so has Bachmann's 90 & that doesn't seem to have received same level of criticism.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

3 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

This looks good, but the main headlight colour is still too warm. 

They do a replacement for the Bachmann 66 too, which allows the lighting options including the 4 white lower lights to be illuminated.  Maybe the can do that for the Hatton 66 as many are receiving the new light clusters.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 19:37, blueeighties said:

Well, the next big releases are likely to be the Heljan 86's, assuming they beat the accurascales to market.  The most expensive D&E loco yet.  Let's see what state of the art the premium price gets us.

Edited by Ouroborus
  • Funny 1

On 10/12/2020 at 21:03, Pete the Elaner said:

Issues, yes but so has Bachmann's 90 & that doesn't seem to have received same level of criticism.

Thats because you can't bash Bachmann. :tomato: 

The Illuminated Models adaptation to the Hattons 66 looks interesting and could be very useful. How easy have some found to remove the light box needed as this when I have seen has been stuck fast. I am thinking if you need force to take if off you might damage the wires needed to be used for the fix. 

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

The Illuminated Models adaptation to the Hattons 66 looks interesting and could be very useful. How easy have some found to remove the light box needed as this when I have seen has been stuck fast. I am thinking if you need force to take if off you might damage the wires needed to be used for the fix. 

Ive found they come loose in your hands, no issue.

Although I only run DC, I think theres something in this kit for me, so i’m going to give one a go, and maybe run for more afterwards.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

One of mine was firmly stuck but square nose *parallel* pliars across the width of the little PCB let it be wriggled out.

No pressure applied to the wires or components and being parallel you get a firm grip without risking the PCB. I was reusing the PCB as I did the fix myself. 

Google “Maun Parallel Action Flat Nose Plier” to find what I used. Quite expensive but a quality product that will last you years. I have a snipe nose pair as well. 

Roy

On 03/12/2020 at 22:09, SouthernMafia said:

Given my sound fitted 66s a run today on the club layout, heres 66621 with Biffo/Hattons sound, but no EM2 - instead the 40x28mm speaker and enclosure as previously mentioned:

That sound really good, not as deep as the EM2 but still nice,  Charlie

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

We have tried various speakers in the Hattons Class 66, from the older 20X40 ESU speakers to the EM2 (Earth Mover) speakers, The better ones are those that are actually BASS speakers not the ones that are Sugarqube Based speakers in housings, these are good as the air tight housings are a vast improvement over earlier types, but in my opinion the larger bass speakers outshine the others. The EM2 Speakers are the best by far and not that much more expensive (£15.00 ish) than the other speakers mentioned in this thread.

Charlie (Legomanbiffo Team)

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I finally decided to go for one of these with some of the great pre-owned prices recently. Only arrived yesterday and generally impressed for the price I paid.

The problem is that the cab handrails are missing one end which was not mentioned in the description or shown in the images. Hattons have said they’ll take it back for a refund or knock a bit of the price if I want to keep it. However, they don’t stock this as a spare part.

My question therefore is whether there is a simple way to sort this if I choose to keep the model or am I best just returning it? It is obviously a very visible part to be missing and annoying that it isn’t available as a spare. I’ve never tried to replace something like that myself with wire but would it be fairly simple to do so?

Edited by Beacon

20 minutes ago, Beacon said:

I finally decided to go for one of these with some of the great pre-owned prices recently. Only arrived yesterday and generally impressed for the price I paid.

The problem is that the cab handrails are missing one end which was not mentioned in the description or shown in the images. Hattons have said they’ll take it back for a refund or knock a bit of the price if I want to keep it. However, they don’t stock this as a spare part.

My question therefore is whether there is a simple way to sort this if I choose to keep the model or am I best just returning it? It is obviously a very visible part to be missing and annoying that it isn’t available as a spare. I’ve never tried to replace something like that myself with wire but would it be fairly simple to do so?

Lima used to include the front cab handrails on a sprue to fit yourself. I think the Hornby ones now come with them pre-fitted. You could try hunting down the Lima ones, or ask Hornby. Alternatively, before sending it back you could try bending some suitable wire using pliers. Fairly easy for the side handrails, but a bit more tricky for the front ones.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone had one of these with a dud motor? Mine arrived yesterday and on dc there was no response from the motor but lights came on. With a known to work Hattons DCR-21pin Version 2 decoder fitted my dcc controller won't read any cv's and acts like there's nothing on the track. Functions 0-4 work correctly for the lighting though.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Midnight-Freight said:

Has anyone had one of these with a dud motor? Mine arrived yesterday and on dc there was no response from the motor but lights came on. With a known to work Hattons DCR-21pin Version 2 decoder fitted my dcc controller won't read any cv's and acts like there's nothing on the track. Functions 0-4 work correctly for the lighting though.

Yes. It needed a push to start and was a lumpy runner and would then not run a slow speed. 

Diagnosis - a dead pole connection on the commutator.