Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Midnight-Freight said:

Did you investigate at all or just return it?

I diagnosed the faulty motor and discussed with Hattons.

Returned and exchanged. Couldn't fault the Hattons service,

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I don't think i have joined this debate before - i was keen on the Hattons 66 but put off by the issues folks were having and thence abstained from purchasing any, deciding i was happy with my Bach fleet. Until recently....

With Hattons discounting their stock i took the plunge and replaced my entire 66 fleet in one.  And wow.  

First off there were virtually no problems with any of them beyond the well documented axlebox issue - the odd buffer needed re-attaching and 1 bodyside pipe was missing on one loco - quickly replaced by Hattons excellent customer service.  No other blemishes in paint or finishing.

Looks wise, placing alongside the Bach 66 really shows up the latter.  The level of detail is far higher and things like the matt plastic (or maybe it is painted?) used in the underframe look much less toy like. Finally, i can't quite put my finger on what it is but somehow the Hattons 66 conveys an impression of bulk more than the Bach which almost looks slightly undersize/undernourished next to it.

Running wise, axleboxes apart, very smooth, quiet and amazing haulage - no issues with derailments which i have had with half of my Bach 66 fleet (each requiring mods to cure - yes the Bach 66 is not without its issues which doesn't get mentioned much when critiquing the Hattons 66).

So, to the axleboxes.  Yes this really is an issue - 80% of my "fleet" wobbled noticeably and during test running a number shed axleboxes.  Hattons customer service have immediately provided spares and i am currently working through them to resolve. 

So overall, i am actually really impressed by Hattons 66 and feeling a bit guilty for not supporting Hattons venture earlier.  These really are a step forward and i would say one of the best locomotives out there.  The axle boxes are definitely an issue but not a difficult one to resolve (in my case am going to fix them in position as i don't like the design and fear it will continually provide issues - furthermore my layout is about full length freights at normal speeds and i don't notice the rotation anyway).  Even at full price i think these locomotives are well worth the price but at the current discounted price they are a bargain.  But if you are considering buying one then be prepared to have to rectify the axleboxes...

The only currently unresolved issue i do have is that the NEM pockets ride up when under load which is problematic for using Kadees - am thinking a sliver of plasticard will resolve but am curious if others have encountered the issue and engineered a solution?

Now to dispose of my Bach 66s... alas the price had dropped dramatically for some reason...

Happy xmas to all!

M

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

Hi Matt

Have a look at what Peter Dixon has been doing on YouTube to sort the axlebox issues. It is a simple fix and should offer a more long term solution.

More and more people have taken the plunge at the cheaper prices and once they actually have the model for themselves they realise that it is a far superior model compared to the Bachmann model. Once the axleboxes issue is sorted it'll be one of the best modern image models out there. Hopefully now Hattons can be encouraged to do more with different numbers and liveries.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Stephen 

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

On 19/12/2020 at 21:31, Beacon said:

I finally decided to go for one of these with some of the great pre-owned prices recently. Only arrived yesterday and generally impressed for the price I paid.

The problem is that the cab handrails are missing one end which was not mentioned in the description or shown in the images. Hattons have said they’ll take it back for a refund or knock a bit of the price if I want to keep it. However, they don’t stock this as a spare part.

My question therefore is whether there is a simple way to sort this if I choose to keep the model or am I best just returning it? It is obviously a very visible part to be missing and annoying that it isn’t available as a spare. I’ve never tried to replace something like that myself with wire but would it be fairly simple to do so?

Copper Wire & White Paint, 10 minute fix, dead easy.

See: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Knorr-Prandell-6461069-1-Piece-Silver/dp/B000VQYLA8/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=0.6mm+nickel+silver+wire&qid=1608918461&quartzVehicle=705-1272&replacementKeywords=0.6mm+nickel+wire&sr=8-29

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally got to play trains today and test run the Hatton's 66789 that Mrs KDG bought me for Christmas. Lovely lady......a keeper!

Mini review....

Packaging is really very well designed keeping all the detail bits and bobs attached where they should be.

Optional front valences a nice touch, so it's possible to have a TL coupling at both ends, one end, or neither as required.

Comprehensive instruction manual, not just a leaflet.

It's got some mass to it, much heavier than Bachmann's 66, comparable with Dapol's 68. Super smooth running straight out of the box, no wobble, all axleboxes present, attached, and rotating - which is a nice touch. To be honest I can only see them rotating if I'm actually trackside at slow speed, and it's been a troublesome feature for Hatton's.  Hauls my 13 Dapol IOA's with consumate ease.

At £119 in Hatton's sale it is a BARGAIN, it would be good value at £150. I shall be buying more.

Well done Hattons.

Season's Greetings to all

Edited by KDG
Smelling pistake
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I bought their Large Logo 66 when first released, but got it in the sound variant.

With the festive price drop I’m planning on buying their ONE version, however they only have it in DCC ready form. A few others have the DCC fitted.

Has anybody here had Hattons do the DCC fitting for them on a 66? I’ve read how fickle and delicate the loco is when taking the body off, so I’d like to avoid it if possible, but then again Hattons may make a hash of it when doing it themselves as well after purchase.

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Richy59 said:

I bought their Large Logo 66 when first released, but got it in the sound variant.

With the festive price drop I’m planning on buying their ONE version, however they only have it in DCC ready form. A few others have the DCC fitted.

Has anybody here had Hattons do the DCC fitting for them on a 66? I’ve read how fickle and delicate the loco is when taking the body off, so I’d like to avoid it if possible, but then again Hattons may make a hash of it when doing it themselves as well after purchase.

Removing the body isnt too hard.

its a lima style clip fit, the only tricky bit is the steps / hand rails.

My technique is to starts at one end, using plastic hotel keys, or a high school ruler, move it between block and chassis, then nudge it between the steps and handrails (which unclip but are partially blocking). They do have some flex.

before lifting, repeat at the other end (use 4-6 keys in total) check everything is clear, firm grip on the body centre, squeeze, flip it rightside up, sit it down and take the body straight off.

The reverse, refitting is slower but easier, just tease the parts over the block one end at a time, slide down, then using a microscrew driver lift the handrails over the frame edge, one side at a time. 

Tbh, having had a couple of steps come off, i’m a bit more merciless now, I just remove the steps, theres little to no glue holding them, loosen the handrails from the frame and pull.. if they come off, they still are a few seconds job to reattach.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, appreciate the advice. I’m sure I can give it a go.

I think I previously read that the lighting is designed with a specific decoder in mind when using dcc control. What’s the best decoder to get rather than Hattons own brand ‘recommended’ one? Want to make sure I get the correct decoder to take full advantage of the lighting.

Thanks

47 minutes ago, Richy59 said:

Thanks, appreciate the advice. I’m sure I can give it a go.

I think I previously read that the lighting is designed with a specific decoder in mind when using dcc control. What’s the best decoder to get rather than Hattons own brand ‘recommended’ one? Want to make sure I get the correct decoder to take full advantage of the lighting.

Thanks

If you put an ESU Lokpilot V5 *MKL* in there then you'd get all 10 functions like the sound fitted ones.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Note - they will work with a four function decoder, [*] but will obviously only have limited control over directional head/marker via F0 and tail lights via F1/F2 by default if the internal switches are set correctly. You could remap the decoder for four F keys and four outputs if the decoder supports it.

A six "full power" output decoder will give you control over headlight/marker light/tail lights at each end.

[*] e.g. an 8-pin four function decoder with the purple wire of the decoder connected to pin 13 of the 21 pin plug. Some 21-8pin adapters have solder pads ready for this purpose. IIRC, a Hornby TTS decoder is only three function 8-pin and the third function is mapped way over on the F25 key. I would then set up the head/marker/tail for directional operation with F0 and use the switches under the loco to turn off one set of tail lights at the coupling end as I generally don't do light engine stuff with my 66s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Note

The thing is, for what little extra (£10-15) a 10 function decoder costs I would always fit a 10 function to one of these, I have suggested ESU but Zimo also do a suitable one. TBH I don't care for the cab lights but having readily switchable day/night lights is good.

As silly as it sounds I tend to set my lights on these and my 68s to day or night depending on the time of day I am playing :lol: (side note, my 68s are modified so the halos work with the top light and then 2 separate functions drive the headlights at different brightensses to simulate the functionality in real life)

I suppose it depends on how much one cares for lighting. To me it's an important realism factor, the lights are one of the biggest differentiators between these and Bachmann when running at speed on the layout, far greater than the axle boxes.

I know you're not saying "fit this" and all your advice makes sense to me just adding that I think it's a shame not doing these models justice with the full functionality.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

That’s why I was looking for the ideal decoder to fit into it as I can only get it as dcc ready. I want to take full advantage of the lighting like the sound version I got earlier in the year. I don’t want to stick the wrong decoder in and not get to use all the possible features. I will have a look for an esu lokpilot :) 

What does the MKL mean, as you highlighted I should get one of those?

I looked into decoder options myself last week, and it seemed to me that to achieve full control of all lighting functions  you would need a ESU Lokpilot V5 MKL, and that also needs to be configured for the Hattons model (this last bit courtesy of Charlie at dckits)

I asked a zimo supplier about  zimo options, and was advised that there is no Zimo decoder that will go FULL lighting control in the Hattons 66 as the model relies on ESU’s custom implementation of the outputs, which differ from all other manufacturers once you get above FA6.

In the end I bit the bullet and went for full sound option, as I may want to create double headers with my other sound fitted loco.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I asked Hattons online chat about this, and they confirm that the ESU LokPilot V5 is the only way to achieve full lighting functions on a DCC Ready model. I’ve managed to find one online and ordered that and the ONE 66 so hopefully get a chance to try fit it later this week :)

It's a shame hattons didn't do the latest db cargo red livery, now Bachmann have released theirs. I don't know if Hatton will ever be releasing any more in the future, but the db was a missed loco. Would also be nice to see the newer lighting as seen on many 66s with all 4 lights, the Hatton lights don't seem bright white enough on certain models.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Richy59 said:

I asked Hattons online chat about this, and they confirm that the ESU LokPilot V5 is the only way to achieve full lighting functions on a DCC Ready model. I’ve managed to find one online and ordered that and the ONE 66 so hopefully get a chance to try fit it later this week :)

Yeah I thought Zimo did one but I cannot see it on their site.

Note it has to be an MKL Lokpilot/Loksound not the standard one so that the first 6 outputs are powered by the decoder. 59649 or 59659 are the decoder numbers for LP5. 659 is the DCC one which doesn't support AC or some of the more exotic control protocols used in Europe, but it is cheaper. Note the speed and acceleration settings vary between the two types as well.

If buying in quantity then they are cheaper from Germany in my experience.

On 24/09/2020 at 13:55, john new said:

I append a PDF extract of the review of 66957 (the SLS named loco) I wrote and ran in the May/June SLS Members Newsletter. My view on the patch mentioned was whether you can see it or not on a prototype loco is lighting and/or cleanliness dependent. As you can see from my review there are other livery omissions too. I think these were mentioned umpteen pages back in this thread. For what it is worth I scored the loco an 8/10.

Newsletter May Jun 66957 only.pdf 182.65 kB · 49 downloads

To follow up on this, here's a picture of 66957 today, 31/12/20. You can see the background of the liner logo is a slightly lighter green than the bodywork. 

IMG_20201231_114142-192.jpg.bd3f0e874a660191681cf5ed78ec9826.jpg

On 26/09/2020 at 22:04, Steadfast said:

The green patch is reflective so will vary depending on the lighting angle of the photo.

The cabside logos are also reflective, as are (I think from memory) the numbers. The replacement numbers fitted to some locos in the UK (a noticably much skinnier typeface) in the last couple of years aren't all reflective though, but irrelevant to 957 as it still has its original numbers fitted.

Jo

I've been looking at Freightliner 66s more and more lately, it seems it was only the low numbered ones that had the reflective bodyside logo and numbers. 66501 for example definitely does. However, all green 66s have the Freightliner logo on a background that is a different shade to the underlying paint. The Zero Injuries logos are reflective on some locos too. 

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Isn't it about time someone else re-iterated the complaint that the model is not perfect, deciding instead to choose the more expensive & lesser featured Bachmann one?

It seems this is not without its issues either:

It’s a personal choice , but I don’t imagine the Hattons one has been as successful  as they hoped as they had to dump the retail price from the original to £119 and it’s stayed there .

Maybe people have been put off - I have - the minute I saw the EWS font I thought “ this isn’t progress “.

And to be honest it just seems too much trouble over the sturdy but older Bachmann one .

It seems reading through here m that the Hattons one appeals to computer programmers and gamers who are willing to mess about with CVS, lighting etc to try and get the ultimate play value , it seems like a subhobby of electronic engineering has taken over .

I just  want something reasonable where no bits fall off , it runs without a limp and the company producing actually engage with any issues . Which is why I stick with Bachmann .

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Isn't it about time someone else re-iterated the complaint that the model is not perfect, deciding instead to choose the more expensive & lesser featured Bachmann one?

It seems this is not without its issues either:

Oddly enough I have bought 2 Bachmann 66s since I got my Hattons ones but they were limited editions in liveries not available from Hattons.

I still think that if there are two identical liveries done correctly the Hattons at £150 (let alone £119) would be my choice. Biggest shame for me is they got the FL orange wrong.

• Like 4

Hattons Class 66 at £119 or less everyday for me. None of the 5 I have had any issues that weren’t sorted within an hour, and I fix the axle boxes as the rotating feature isn’t a big deal for me. Bachmann 66 was a nice model when released but things have certainly moved on. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I prefer the Hattons one by far.

Its problems are way over exaggerated, at some points I wondered if people were being paid to slate it.

Ive over 25 now. Ive only had 2 recurrent issues.. rotating hub caps and front steps.

Indeed If remove these two elements, Ive just 3 faults a missing step, loose buffer and a broken clip in 25 models, zero returns. 

The discount promotion has all the sound, and just about every DCC option sold out.

Some DC only options have also sold out... basically from 100 variants offered, there down to 30 odd, and when I gaze at the list thinking “should I shouldnt I” one more time its easy too see another half dozen are close to selling out.

looking at the list Belmond, Pink and First Gbrf dont look too popular, so a cheap source of spares looks to be around for a while.

I think once they've gone, they've gone, and at £119 they aint coming back... new Bachmann 57 is 200 notes, and the tooling is much less complex, i’m sure any future Hattons 66’s will have a similar price point.

As Hattons are about to release 372 ! Coaches, I think they are going to be busy for sometime, so more 66’s may be a little way off.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

But if they're selling like hot cakes, best get some more in.

We'll never know the financial arrangements but perhaps the first batch would have paid off everything leaving them net zero, but produce more and see the money roll in.

But this is the question:

Improve things but perhaps annoy early adopters or keep everything the same and know you're producing a substandard model from the aspirations and cause a lot of work through returns, swaps and perhaps ultimately unsatisfied customers.

Without a doubt, I suspect more will be for sale during 2021 (although perhaps very late 2021).

I for one am happy to wait and see if they solve the issues before re-buying the livery I wanted.

• Like 1