Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

6 hours ago, mi-go-a-go-go said:

Disaster struck and my 66 got dropped. 

I have managed to fix it up and I am sure some OTT weathering will sort out the body damage.

Sadly it is now only one bogie drive as the connecting 'shaft' from motor to bogie broke (the nylon rod).

Just called Hattons and they are not doing spares for that bit. 

Still its powering away on on the one bogie.

There you have it no spares, The Big H and Baccy would possibly have better aftercare. I worry for same when it come for other spares later down the line.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

There you have it no spares, The Big H and Baccy would possibly have better aftercare. I worry for same when it come for other spares later down the line.

You dont need spares if you have solutions.

most models dont come with spares., I find Dapol and Bachmann are gold standard, Heljan slipped from Platinum to Tin with the gaugemaster spares move however.

10 years time, very few of whats made today will have spares available.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

I had no luck with a replacement board for my Hornby 50; one of the early models on which the lights don't work properly (wrong direction I think) but Hornby replied saying they had none left. That was some time ago & the model has just been put in the back of a cupboard waiting for me to fix it manually.

Hattons will probably have spares when they produce a second batch. Maybe they do have some but keep them back for warranty repairs.

37 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

You dont need spares if you have solutions.

most models dont come with spares., I find Dapol and Bachmann are gold standard, Heljan slipped from Platinum to Tin with the gaugemaster spares move however.

10 years time, very few of whats made today will have spares available.

To be fair, I doubt that’s gaugemaster fault.

Howes pretty much want out of all railway stuff other than railmatch it seems, so someone else had to be found to take it on 

12 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I had no luck with a replacement board for my Hornby 50; one of the early models on which the lights don't work properly (wrong direction I think) but Hornby replied saying they had none left. That was some time ago & the model has just been put in the back of a cupboard waiting for me to fix it manually.

Hattons will probably have spares when they produce a second batch. Maybe they do have some but keep them back for warranty repairs.

Pete, I might have a spare Hornby 50 board, but need to check. Because of the way the LED's are wired on these I take the board out and make my own up. Will check letter in my "tin of bits" and let you know. Tony.

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Tony Walker said:

Pete, I might have a spare Hornby 50 board, but need to check. Because of the way the LED's are wired on these I take the board out and make my own up. Will check letter in my "tin of bits" and let you know. Tony.

I have a vague memory from when the 50 was released that Hornby went through 2 or maybe 3 iterations of PCB design in the early days, so something to be aware of - sorry I can't recall what changes were made between the PCB iterations.

37 minutes ago, Tony Walker said:

Wow!

I wasn't really expecting a reply like that , but if you have a spare, I would be delighted to put it to use.

I just have so much else to do with the layout that I get on with that instead. I'm not complaining though - I am making buildings from scratch right now. It may be taking me a long time but I am enjoying it.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
Addition
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/02/2021 at 09:26, Tony Walker said:

Tony, if you happen to have another one spare after Pete, please do let me know, I’m in the same situation!

cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

Looking over Hattons 66’s its looking like the party is over except Freightliner and the odd balls.

Europorte GBRF, EWS, DB, Colas, original DRS are gone, the unexplained £150 GBRF remains. biffa is just about gone, as is 66789, 66705.

A quick sort of the list to stock remaining,...

I’m not surprised at First GBRF hanging about, nor Pink 66, but Cemex and Royal Scotsman i might have thought more popular.

Still plenty of respray potential bodies there still.

I guess 9 Freightliner versions was a bit too much, but reckon they will be gone soon.

I’m probably in for a Cemex 66, Royal Scotsman and a G&W one at some point, but can wait by the looks of it.

Overall happy with my lot, and working through the fettling.

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2021 at 21:29, Dicky L said:

Apologies if this subject has been mentioned in this thread previously.

I am just wondering if anyone has added the extra lamp to 66783 biffa. If so what did you use?

DD0030BC-BC6F-47E7-85FB-033E4C89D0E3.png

just for fun, I thought i’d have a go... its a bit rough but...

AE559374-6887-480A-979F-6B1BB84F653A.jpeg.fcd1ce0a59f2e477171acd1a65ddf7f6.jpeg

Replica Railways flashing tail lamps

force out the red, trim the bottom, drill a 0.5mm hole.

812B8FE6-D042-4732-8053-4CE151C6B0ED.jpeg.c4a438b055ccba18bdd391f46dbb85c5.jpeg
This picture is 2x the size of the real thing, which is just over 2.5mm in height. The light itself is 1mm.

insert some 0.45 mm wire (ive used metal twine off a bottle of Spanish Rioja.. its very flexible to bend in any shape).

78BCD916-273B-480A-A56B-CC3E023BE056.jpeg.5b01f40264010ee48a6364a930f81332.jpeg

fit to model, I just used a 1mm sq of double sided tape so I can adjust it.

37DC9C4A-5728-46A9-80A2-766D033154A7.jpeg.2bc35e753a57d2e13281703378b6347c.jpeg

A5B702F3-0298-4484-85B0-BF3AD9FF96B4.jpeg.981506f2af631991c24d9528081f2555.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

the unexplained £150 GBRF remains. 

If my memory serves correctly, I believe that a portion of the profits from 'Royal Corps of Signals' are going to charity.  That could well explain the retention of the £150 RRP.   ;)

Al 

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Looking over Hattons 66’s its looking like the party is over except Freightliner and the odd balls.

Europorte GBRF, EWS, DB, Colas, original DRS are gone, the unexplained £150 GBRF remains. biffa is just about gone, as is 66789, 66705.

A quick sort of the list to stock remaining,...

I’m not surprised at First GBRF hanging about, nor Pink 66, but Cemex and Royal Scotsman i might have thought more popular.

Still plenty of respray potential bodies there still.

I guess 9 Freightliner versions was a bit too much, but reckon they will be gone soon.

I’m probably in for a Cemex 66, Royal Scotsman and a G&W one at some point, but can wait by the looks of it.

Overall happy with my lot, and working through the fettling.

Think they also did both the Royal Scotsman pair. So its two in that livery and not just one. First GBRf I expect is possibly lighting issue related. 

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

. First GBRf I expect is possibly lighting issue related. 

And the fact that it's probably the worst looking livery the 66s have carried.............

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, newbryford said:

And the fact that it's probably the worst looking livery the 66s have carried.............

And whilst they do haul freight, BOTH of them in that livery without RTR RS coaches is probably a hard sell.

Edit, thought you were on about the RS locos.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, truffy said:

If you’re referring to this one, then I beg to differ. 

A219AAD6-23A3-4044-8D75-CF2C55EDE971.jpeg

I was , so yes, we will differ! :) (actually, you can add the FL Powerhaul as well!)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I thought that would be popular too, I think it's a cool livery. If AS do the Cemex shorty IIA/HYA in Cemex it would be good.

Maybe the fact it was part of the second announcement is a factor?

My trigger will be if it rolls up in Surrey on a freight, then i’ll buy it.

despite a regular cemex in this area, its not been on it as yet.

Pink 66... no way is a pink loco rolling on my tracks, unless my daughter twists my arm.

• Funny 1

On 12/02/2021 at 15:45, newbryford said:

I was , so yes, we will differ! :) (actually, you can add the FL Powerhaul as well!)

FL Powerhaul is perhaps my favourite livery on a shed, and I quite like the GBRf 'Barbie' livery as well. 

On 12/02/2021 at 17:55, rob D2 said:

I think the NWT of Sheffield livery tops everything .

like a 1970s delivery truck scheme transposed onto an engine . 

Hehe, it certainly is very retro-looking, although it has actually grown on me in a weird kind of way - maybe it's that subliminal retro-truck look... 

The two liveries I do think are gawd awful are Freightliner 'Where are my sunglasses Tango orange' - just plain gaudy!  And I've never been a fan of Colas livery either, no matter how much I try to like it.

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, TomScrut said:

And whilst they do haul freight, BOTH of them in that livery without RTR RS coaches is probably a hard sell.

Edit, thought you were on about the RS locos.

I got sick of waiting so have started my own rake a few years ago. Stalled a bit at the moment waiting on some custom parts. There’s a thread on here. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120720-hilux5972s-royal-scotsman-build/&tab=comments#comment-2645163

• Like 2

7 hours ago, YesTor said:

FL Powerhaul is perhaps my favourite livery on a shed, and I quite like the GBRf 'Barbie' livery as well. 

Hehe, it certainly is very retro-looking, although it has actually grown on me in weird kind of way - maybe it's that subliminal retro-truck look... 

The two liveries I do think are gawd awful are Freightliner 'Where are my sunglasses Tango orange' - just plain gaudy!  And I've never been a fan of Colas livery either, no matter how much I try to like it.

Al

Sorry for straying off topic again...

I quite like the orange and black cheat lines, but the freight liner logo insertion seems a bit “ clumsy “, could have been done to fit in better, but it’s a byproduct of whoever designed the parent livery in USA

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Sorry for straying off topic again...

I quite like the orange and black cheat lines, but the freight liner logo insertion seems a bit “ clumsy “, could have been done to fit in better, but it’s a byproduct of whoever designed the parent livery in USA

IMO the European version looks slightly better with respect to the logo and the stripes.

DE - Haldensleben - 266 042

I do like the livery in general though.and if this release had been the right colour I'd have had one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1