Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

4 hours ago, AchimK said:

IMHO the Hattons 66 is the Alfa Romeo of the year. Highly desirable but oh boy/girl, probably a nightmare to actually own. I sent back two out of two for out of box failure to run. To make model of the year with such a range of quality issues and the acknowledgement from the modelling community (us) that one needs to 'do some work' i.e. do some major surgery before they will perform as expected is ridiculous. Similar to the Hornby Rocket really (which also got model of the year).

We ought to see it for what it is: An excellent promise with major issues so fanfare is uncalled for.

You can disagree strongly but keep comments civil please.

I respect your points and see what you mean. If that Hattons 66 worked with no faults the fanfare across the industry would be deafening. However, the model has had a somewhat infamous release so far. I think the model of the year result is deserved. There must be many people with the engines running on layouts that are very impressed with them. I do wonder how many will have noticed all the faults the model might have. How many do go down to test all lighting functions, how many will actually notice the incorrect lighting configuration on the bug eye version? 

Getting the body off has been difficult and if there was no reason not to, then it wouldnt be an issue. That explains why the sound fitted versions sold out very quickly. Even ones chip fitted soon followed. The sound set up has also been a step forwards -  with the EM speaker and sound files giving great control when used fully. Add in the lighting controls and the engine is very prototypically operable compared to the likes of Bachmanns version where you need to lift off the engine to change switches or Hornby's version with no lights at all. 

While people defend the Bachmann model, this again is 'flock following' as many model enthusiasts pride themselves on their engines and stock so immediately disassociate themselves from a model with failings and instead back the current model that is well known and accepted. However, good as the Bachmann model has been over the years and its been a workhorse for our hobby that has been very well received - to now defend it to the hilt compared with Hattons offer is both flawed and verging on ignorant. Decrying the Hatton's one for lights issues and then saying Bachmanns is better just underlines this point. The three white lights on Bachmanns 66 have never worked, on any version of the model but it was accepted by both press and community as a step forwards. The detail is good and sound set up is good still, but Hattons have moved on and not cut corners on delivering excellence, where as Bachmann have used less good speakers in engines while still driving up the market price - which is fair enough as your a busisness but then somehow was reduced slightly to undercut Hatton's. In terms of value for money paid, Hatton's in my view still wins by a mile and the haulage capability of my own 66s is yet to be tested but given the weight difference between the two the Hatton's one will easily haul more.  

Yes it might be the Alfa Romeo of the year, but its still highly desirable and newer to the market compared with the 5th version of a Vauxhaul range model that Bachmann's 66 now looks like in comparrison. Yet, it would be unfair to blame Hattons for a model that is so intricate and desirable. The Realtrack 144 and 156 are a complete nightmare to refit, but excellent if bought in the spec that you choose. The Dapol 68 had some issues in terms of lighting or livery application to its body side but after being panned by press and fraternity has been fixed and is now accepted as a great model. Personally I think the Hattons 66 will follow this track and in a year when there wasnt much to stand in its way it has claimed the title - but a reminder that such a move is based of popularity. It will be interesting to see how others (staying diesel) such as the Heljan 47, the Dapol class 59 and the Bachmann 170 (when it arrives) compare to other models mentioned in this post for high standards. Maybe they might win the title of their year release too... but the Hattons one has - and its very much a bold and good step forwards for a shop thats started making its own and I hope given the brave move the 66s was - that this award encourages it to do more models in the future. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 3

10 hours ago, YesTor said:

Okay, well, seeing as you ask...  :lol:

66779 'Evening Star'

66718 & 66721 London Transport twins

66623 Bardon Aggregates

66623 De-branded Bardon blue with large Freightliner logo

66747 Newell & Wright Transport

66747/748/749 GBRf Grey

66747/748/749 Plain Grey

66411 & 66414 Stobart twins

66720 GBRf 'Rainbow'

667xx GBRf revised Europort
667xx GBRf Europort (additional numbers)

66773 GBRf Pride livery

663xx  Fastline

66xxx  DB Red w/ large logo

66109 PD Ports

66727 GBRf Maritime

66xxx DB Maritime

66522 Freightliner/Shanks

66711 Aggregate Industries

And yes...  a few bog-standard original EWS with correct logos/fonts, for sure.

More Freightliner variants with the revised light clusters would be good.

Freightliner - Low-emission variant with 'bug-eye' lights.

DRS - Low-emission variant with 'bug-eye' lights.

Just those few for now...?  :P

ps...  Although to be honest, not another 37 variants in one hit - my bank balance can't stand it any more! 

:jester:

Al  

I think it might be interesting to see some of these given the Hattons upgrade and treatment, but think too that there is likely to be exclusivity agreements signed for some, such as the London Transport twins. However, think some such as 66779 might be done again if NRM or GBRf sign on. 

I think the GBRf grey is a good idea, but so is more standard ones like a bug eye versions of both standard and low emssions as they sold out very well. GBRf Chinook or HMS Argyll would be good to be done and so far no footballers either... ( I wont be buying any Sunderland version!) 
A Fastline 66 would be another nice one to have, perhaps 66434 so bridges both Fastline and DRS. 

There is also the chance for some 66's as they move between fleets. Such as Colas liveried engines carrying their new GBRf number, or ones like the 66/4's on transfer from DRS to Freightliner - 66413 being an example that was plain unliveried DRS but with Freightliner branding on cabsides. I think these would be good as some did run like this for a while. 

I'll keep the ball rolling of photos of ones youd like - so here is personal favourite 66044 and hope that someone in Liverpool takes the hint!

DSC_0698.JPG.67cc12e369092e896a9b40e150ad7dbd.JPG

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Hatton's one for lights issues and then saying Bachmanns is better just underlines this point

Yes this is something that is often overlooked. When people were whinging on about the bug eye markers being wrong I pointed out that those lights don't even exist on the Bachmann one they were claiming to be going back to (purely on those grounds), I don't think I got a response there as that would be an admission of how ridiculous a thought process it was.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Would be nice if Hattons actually gave some sign as to the future for this model,as i doubt it will be modifed in any way to run the axle ends true as its selling out and has made them money as it stands,66746 was sold out and then 50 are restocked from somewhere as has others over the last few months,so they seem to have the ability to get small numbers from somewhere.

Its not ready to run and by the look of it most have cut and glued the axle end feature,with work its a great model but would be nice if they were more like Accurascale and kept there buying public in the loop.its more of a team effort with them guys and its paid big dividends with us for them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

doubt it will be modifed in any way to run the axle ends true as its selling out and has made them money as it stands

It's an interesting one. Modifying the tooling and selling at £150-170 might make them more money than fire saleing them at £119 though. Only they will know the figures but I expect that over a run of a few thousand the tooling would probably pay off as I said a page or two back.

That is assuming they are still on speaking terms with the factory. There could have been (not saying there was) a big disagreement about warranty/quality already.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

A Fastline version would have been nice to have seen in the Hattons range as it would have had wagons to run from Accurascale soon.

Fast line was quite a short time wasn’t it - so have my doubts it would clear through?

that said it was a very attractive scheme !

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

I've been humming and harring about buying one in the Belmond Livery, looking at the pictures on the Hatton's site the gold printing looks very faint, I guess it could just be the photo's on the web site.

Anybody got one and photo's to help my decision ?

IMG_0933[1].JPG

IMG_0934[1].JPG

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Also IIRC the Bachmann ones are like rocking horse you know what.

https://railexclusive.com/index.php?category=73

Well, there's 1000 of them but they don't seem to come up that often I don't think.

Listed one on ebay yesterday - sound fitted.

Roy 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Also IIRC the Bachmann ones are like rocking horse you know what.

https://railexclusive.com/index.php?category=73

Well, there's 1000 of them but they don't seem to come up that often I don't think.

Ironically its 66301 and its done in DRS by Hattons.i doubt theres thousands but just a nice looking livery.

49 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Listed one on ebay yesterday - sound fitted.

Roy 

Hi Roy,

interestingly when I search “ Bachmann class 66 “ yours doesn’t appear, nor even for “ Bachmann class 66 fastline “,

I think it maybe because you’ve called it 66301, if you want more exposure Id be inclined to edit the title on there to , say, “ Bachmann class 66, 66301 fastline “

might get more hits 

Edited by rob D2

51 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Hi Roy,

interestingly when I search “ Bachmann class 66 “ yours doesn’t appear, nor even for “ Bachmann class 66 fastline “,

I think it maybe because you’ve called it 66301, if you want more exposure Id be inclined to edit the title on there to , say, “ Bachmann class 66, 66301 fastline “

might get more hits 

Haha I didn't realise that as I searched for the code.

eBay is a funny one, I end up with saved searches for codes and for descriptions of stuff I really want to make sure that it's picked up.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2021 at 22:37, metman said:

Mine arrived in a small packed from Hattons and without requesting them.

On another matter, I have received 6 different 66's and not had any issues. Should I do the lottery next week?

Instead of buying 62 lottery tickets I went for the Cemex 66. Works perfectly so no lucky dip! The livery is one of the best and thought it a good time to beat the rush due to the news of the chopped HYA's earlier in the week.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Hi Roy,

might get more hits 

Thanks for that - not sure how I missed putting the class. Was the only thing listed that I didn't. Anyhow, amended now.

Roy

Reference the issues with the rotating axle boxes, i will remove them and glue them in place so they dont rotate if i have to, but i will have a crack at fixing them first.

This thread has a couple of fixes but i dont really want to trawl through 184 pages to find them, is there a quick way to find the fixes, my modeling skills are not great but not that bad either, so would like to read through various ways of solving the issue?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Reference the issues with the rotating axle boxes, i will remove them and glue them in place so they dont rotate if i have to, but i will have a crack at fixing them first.

This thread has a couple of fixes but i dont really want to trawl through 184 pages to find them, is there a quick way to find the fixes, my modeling skills are not great but not that bad either, so would like to read through various ways of solving the issue?

I guess its what your happy with doing,you tube has loads on about removing and reattaching them.its a nice feature and if you want it just like the real thing they need to run perfectly true. Most seem happy just removing and glue it shortened back into the bogie detail.I reaxled one as a prototype and re engineered the axle end so the detail goes into a metal detail and its ran for probably 1000 hours with no issue whatsoever but its a lot of work and i am too busy at the moment to amend and do more of my fleet. Remove them and try it without them first if it is badly wobbling.The best ones ive seen are the pre owned ones i bought to have as parts donors yet they run flawless.

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

.I reaxled one as a prototype and re engineered the axle end so the detail goes into a metal detail and its ran for probably 1000 hours 

1000 hours?

:o

Did you leave it running continuously for nearly 6 weeks?

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2021 at 03:51, YesTor said:

Okay, well, seeing as you ask...  :lol:

66779 'Evening Star'

66718 & 66721 London Transport twins

66623 Bardon Aggregates

66623 De-branded Bardon blue with large Freightliner logo

66747 Newell & Wright Transport

66747/748/749 GBRf Grey

66747/748/749 Plain Grey

66411 & 66414 Stobart twins

66720 GBRf 'Rainbow'

667xx GBRf revised Europort
667xx GBRf Europort (additional numbers)

66773 GBRf Pride livery

663xx  Fastline

66xxx  DB Red w/ large logo

66109 PD Ports

66727 GBRf Maritime

66xxx DB Maritime

66522 Freightliner/Shanks

66711 Aggregate Industries

And yes...  a few bog-standard original EWS with correct logos/fonts, for sure.

More Freightliner variants with the revised light clusters would be good.

Freightliner - Low-emission variant with 'bug-eye' lights.

DRS - Low-emission variant with 'bug-eye' lights.

Just those few for now...?  :P

ps...  Although to be honest, not another 37 variants in one hit - my bank balance can't stand it any more! 

Al  

Basically most of the celebrity fleet then.

Pretty certain that when they announced the original list, is that they didn't duplicate any other name/number/livery that had already appeared from others.

Even when they later announced the add-on extras such as 789, Biffa and ONE, they weren't duplicates.

But other model manufacturers (commissioners to be pedantic ....) have duplicated Hattons listed models since then.

It'll be interesting to see if they do another run if they do repeat other manufacturer commissioner number/livery combinations.

In the meantime, my EWS one is in line to receive a coat of Maritime blue.

As it is, my 779/721/718/711/952/101 have recently received lighting upgrades and will not be replaced.

(My 720 was retired when REx brought out their Ltd ed version).

I am sure that the Bachmann locos will still remain a presence in my shed fleet for some time, but new purchases will most likely be of the Hattons variety - if available.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get the Hatton 66s  to run at a crawl and stop being jerky.  They all have vs sound, but at speed steps 1 to 10 are jerky. My Bachmann ones are perfectly fine out of the box. My layout is a depot layout, so slow speed is required. I have tinkered with some of the motor control cvs on one, but to no avail. The locos are well run in on a rolling road. Ta in advance

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, newbryford said:

1000 hours?

:o

Did you leave it running continuously for nearly 6 weeks?

Its over 6 months since i did this and its ran for days on the rolling road and once there was enough loft floor in to put a large loop up its ran for days up there,only issue i can recall was it was not picking up from one of the bogies but that was months ago,ironically ive just been trying the last few months batch i have bought and 66418 is the only one ive had as a no go,like me the lights are on but theres no movement...............

• Funny 1