Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, aquilla said:

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get the Hatton 66s  to run at a crawl and stop being jerky.  They all have vs sound, but at speed steps 1 to 10 are jerky. My Bachmann ones are perfectly fine out of the box. My layout is a depot layout, so slow speed is required. I have tinkered with some of the motor control cvs on one, but to no avail. The locos are well run in on a rolling road. Ta in advance

im sure Martin has done settings on his to improve the running,might be worth looking on his page or asking on his you tube page about this

https://loco-updates.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCIrQhTFz8Y0oJ5lyN99m_g

9 hours ago, aquilla said:

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get the Hatton 66s  to run at a crawl and stop being jerky.  They all have vs sound, but at speed steps 1 to 10 are jerky. My Bachmann ones are perfectly fine out of the box. My layout is a depot layout, so slow speed is required. I have tinkered with some of the motor control cvs on one, but to no avail. The locos are well run in on a rolling road. Ta in advance

Mine runs fine at slow speeds & if this was a common issue, it would have generated a lot of discussion by now...but it hasn't.

It seems therefore that he problem is either with your example or decoder/compatibility rather than loco related.

This raises the question: what decoder is fitted?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Mine runs fine at slow speeds & if this was a common issue, it would have generated a lot of discussion by now...but it hasn't.

It seems therefore that he problem is either with your example or decoder/compatibility rather than loco related.

And what DCC control system?

I have seen locos (not Hattons 66) misbehave with one system, but not with another.

For the OP aquilla.

Rather than tinker with CVs - there is the autotune using the facility on the ESU decoder.

It's in the ESU manual under "Automatic calibration of the motor"

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I have seen locos (not Hattons 66) misbehave with one system, but not with another.

For the OP aquilla.

Rather than tinker with CVs - there is the autotune using the facility on the ESU decoder.

I forgot about autotune (if available on your decoder).

If this is available, back up your CVs before using it. It gave my HST a top speed of about 25mph!

16 hours ago, aquilla said:

Exactly the problem my first one had right down to not starting again when stopped (on DC) so I must disagree with Pete's comment above that it's likely a one off or a decoder compatibility issue. It may not be common but it's happened. Poking the driveshaft with a cocktail stick helped to start it again. Needless to say, I sent it back.

15 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Esu v5 . ...One with legoman sound 2 with Jamie goodman,  all run jerky.  My 6 bachmans with Esu v5s and various sound files including factory fitted are super smooth

Edited by aquilla

2 hours ago, aquilla said:

Esu v5 . ...One with legoman sound 2 with Jamie goodman,  all run jerky.  My 6 bachmans with Esu v5s and various sound files including factory fitted are super smooth

Hi

It'd maybe worthwhile contacting where you bought them, and see if they can offer some advice. 

Stephen 

Edited by ayrmrg

• RMweb Premium

Finally getting around to ordering my Royal Scotsman 66 this week. Now which to go for first. Would there have been a reason 46 sold out first and 43 had plenty left? Do I go for 46 while it’s in stock? Decisions decisions lol

7 hours ago, aquilla said:

Try turning back EMF off, if that cures it then we know it is the BEMF settings to alter (if you want it back on)

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Finally getting around to ordering my Royal Scotsman 66 this week. Now which to go for first. Would there have been a reason 46 sold out first and 43 had plenty left? Do I go for 46 while it’s in stock? Decisions decisions lol

46 has 47 to go at and 43 there was 215 last time i looked. I have 46 with sound as i have seen it pulling freight in the flesh.Strange the difference in popularity.The choice is yours but if you need both start with 46 while they have some to replace a duffer.

• Thanks 1

On 21/02/2021 at 23:22, newbryford said:

Basically most of the celebrity fleet then.

Pretty certain that when they announced the original list, is that they didn't duplicate any other name/number/livery that had already appeared from others.

Even when they later announced the add-on extras such as 789, Biffa and ONE, they weren't duplicates.

But other model manufacturers (commissioners to be pedantic ....) have duplicated Hattons listed models since then.

It'll be interesting to see if they do another run if they do repeat other manufacturer commissioner number/livery combinations.

In the meantime, my EWS one is in line to receive a coat of Maritime blue.

As it is, my 779/721/718/711/952/101 have recently received lighting upgrades and will not be replaced.

(My 720 was retired when REx brought out their Ltd ed version).

I am sure that the Bachmann locos will still remain a presence in my shed fleet for some time, but new purchases will most likely be of the Hattons variety - if available.

If I was drawing up a list of second release suggestions for Hattons: would be something like:

66044 EWS
661xx  EWS - think the run would need 2. One with mirrors, one without as before. 

664xx DRS Compass
6641xx DRS Compass unbranded
66434 Fastline
666xx Freightliner standard livery
667xx Bug eye fixed Europort livery (GBRf blue and yellow?)
667xx Bug eye 66/9 low emmission GBRF
66748 GBRf Grey
668xx Advensa

As for celebs to add on:

66747 in NWT
66731 NHS
667-- HMS Argyll
667-- Chinook

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

If I was drawing up a list of second release suggestions for Hattons: would be something like:

66044 EWS
661xx  EWS - think the run would need 2. One with mirrors, one without as before. 

664xx DRS Compass
66434 Fastline
66748 GBRf Grey
668xx Advensa

As for celebs to add on:

66747 in NWT
66731 NHS
667-- HMS Argyll
667-- Chinook

To add I would go for one or two more DRS 6630xx to go with their release of 66301 to accompany the AS KUA's...totally agree on the celeb's.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've invented a variation on a popular game.

Just one more and I can shout "HOUSE!"

edit: Although to be more accurate...........  "SHED!"

Edited by newbryford

1 hour ago, The Black Hat said:

66044 EWS

664xx DRS Compass
66434 Fastline
66748 GBRf Grey
668xx Advensa

As for celebs to add on:

66747 in NWT
66731 NHS
667-- HMS Argyll
667-- Chinook

The first thing to ask would be “ are other people also going to want a.....”.

There’s a couple that would be suspect in my view - the grey GB one and the advensa one. Not withstanding though we don’t know how many “ collectors “ there are out there , who just collect regardless , and aren’t bothered about era or useage.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

46 has 47 to go at and 43 there was 215 last time i looked. I have 46 with sound as i have seen it pulling freight in the flesh.Strange the difference in popularity.The choice is yours but if you need both start with 46 while they have some to replace a duffer.

I sincerely hope it’s not a dud when I get it. Being in New Zealand, it’s a very long round trip to return and replace. 

• RMweb Gold

66792 would be my choice, but it needs tooling mods.

but agree armed forces GBRF 66’s would be good.

DRS 66 in current livery (not compass) would be nice.. I got 301, missed the other.

A current GBRF, (Post Europort) livery 66, unnamed, would be good too.

EWS 66 is a bread and butter.

for specials.. Malcolm and Maritime.

havent we gone a long way from all the pitch fork wielding back stabbing 66 hating comments, to a wishlist for more..

ive over 30 now.. including some laid down for resprays/renumbers, never doubted them, been happy with Hattons service throughout...

I had a running session with 66513 on saturday.. absolute pleasure.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I sincerely hope it’s not a dud when I get it. Being in New Zealand, it’s a very long round trip to return and replace. 

Thats why i gave you a heads up as to the stock levels of these,746 was sold out and more appeared as has has happened for some others but 743 has far more left.

6 hours ago, rob D2 said:

The first thing to ask would be “ are other people also going to want a.....”.

There’s a couple that would be suspect in my view - the grey GB one and the advensa one. Not withstanding though we don’t know how many “ collectors “ there are out there , who just collect regardless , and aren’t bothered about era or useage.

I think the Grey GBRf would easily be popular as GBRf is very popular so having one done in grey that contrasts to the fleet I think would be a good seller. Add that in grey it spent a lot of time doing the Tyne to Drax coal/biomass turns and that lines up nicely with the forthcoming Accurascale wagons. Instant seller there if you ask me. 

Advensa has never been done as a class 66 livery by anyone. Yes it was a failed company but its one that can suddenly turn up and can be the 'novelty' class 66. I bet some get it to get every company too. Stands a good chance I think. 

6 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

I think the Grey GBRf would easily be popular as GBRf is very popular so having one done in grey that contrasts to the fleet I think would be a good seller. Add that in grey it spent a lot of time doing the Tyne to Drax coal/biomass turns and that lines up nicely with the forthcoming Accurascale wagons. Instant seller there if you ask me. 

Advensa has never been done as a class 66 livery by anyone. Yes it was a failed company but its one that can suddenly turn up and can be the 'novelty' class 66. I bet some get it to get every company too. Stands a good chance I think. 

Err.... 

Advensa has never been done as a Hornby class 66 and a full spec one will suit a fair few people. Yes it was a failed company but its one that can suddenly turn up and can be the 'novelty' class 66. I bet some get it to get every company too. Stands a good chance I think. 

On 22/02/2021 at 09:19, newbryford said:

For the OP aquilla.

I tried the auto tune...no joy.   As for my control system, it's a nce powercab 

• RMweb Premium

Trying to work out if Mr BH is taking something.

Whilst we're on Advenza and short lived numbers/liveries, this is Colas liveried 66744 - former Advenza, then Colas 66843 - and DRS 66408 before that)

1613095511_66744(ex843).jpg.61a982588085f4d333f7590a515b24e2.jpg

Plenty of pics of ex-FL66s in green with GB 66/7 numbers.

For example: (pic from flickr). The lead engine has been done by Hattons in GBRf guise.

class 66 cavalcade Marholm 10-6-12 (1)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1