Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

My Royal Scotsman 66746 has just arrived with me here in in NZ. Quick inspection shows no broken handrails, no loose grilles, and no glue marks anywhere. Will see how it runs later on. 

Edit #1: ok first run shows it has a slight wobble. 2 axle boxes extend out beyond the bogie side so aren’t even connected to the axle stub. Will dismantle the bogies and ream them out, etc and dcc fit it at the same time. Very pleased with it. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Added content
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Quick video. Shows a little wobble but not anything like what other people have shown. 

Good to see all went well for you,one down and 743 is still over 200 stock to go at to compleate your train.I dont think anyone can say they are not a vast improvement but its been dogged with silly errors and quality issues.Just need Charlies sound in to bring it to life.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Good to see all went well for you,one down and 743 is still over 200 stock to go at to compleate your train.I dont think anyone can say they are not a vast improvement but its been dogged with silly errors and quality issues.Just need Charlies sound in to bring it to life.

Yeah definitely some avoidable mistakes made, but actually getting one in my hands, the axle box issue is not as big a deal as everyone was making out it was. Easy fix. Lol maybe sound down the track a little bit yet. 743 first lol. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks all for the advice on my GBRf 66789 but haven't had the chance to take a look due to DIY.

Anyway, this is getting a bit ridiculous because now I'm running my GBRF 66783 Biffa and after about 20mins it has now developed an internal knocking sound at the driver end (non-exhaust) and feel it is now going the same way as 66789 where any minute it now something will fall apart and it will cease to work, I've stopped running it.

Too be honest 3 failures in as many days including the Freightliner ONE which I have sent back today for a refund is not really acceptable and considering I have 9 of them doesn't bode well for the future and will have to remember to run them constantly on my rolling road whilst they are in warranty, the biggest downside is that my failed/failing ones are now sold out and basically can't send them back as I'll never get those Hattons versions again.

I suggested to Hattons they setup a warranty repair team considering they've gone into manufacturing and more than likely will continue to do so thus having at least 1 person with the qualifications/skills to conduct repairs would be an idea going forward, can't keep sending stuff back for a refund especially when they are sold out.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Well took the body off on 66783 Biffa and inspected the innards and the only noticeable thing was 2 black wires straddling the driveshaft but not doing much just sitting on top so to speak, repositioned the wires away from it and put it on the rolling road and the thumpy/knocking noise didn't return and now its running normally in both directions for a good while last night and this morning.

Put the body back on, a real expert now at doing this now with credit cards and no bits pinging off, and yes it is running fine thus no idea what was happening to it previously so will run it everyday and monitor.

Maybe I knocked something back into place whilst taking the body off and fiddling with it???

Anyway Biffa is saved!!!...for now but BR LL 66789 is still a worry and a work in progress, defo need to save that one at all costs!

• Like 3

great stuff.  Believe it or not, wires dragging on motors and driveshafts is a common noise/knocking on models and have had it on most makes if wires are not secured properly.  Crazy how such a small item can have such an effect...

Glad you have fixed it and it was as straightforward as that. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, GEOEng03 said:

great stuff.  Believe it or not, wires dragging on motors and driveshafts is a common noise/knocking on models and have had it on most makes if wires are not secured properly.  Crazy how such a small item can have such an effect...

Yep. I had a Bachmann 20 that ran ok in one direction and crawled in the other. That was all down to a wire bearing down on the flywheel.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, GEOEng03 said:

No worries thanks.

Not ready to pull apart Hattons 66's just yet but will reach that level eventually in time.

I might actually buy a dead Hatton's 66 if it's below £70 and have a go at dismantling it and not worrying about killing a running one and just keep it for parts like adb968008 has been doing...sounds like a plan.

53 minutes ago, classy52 said:

No worries thanks.

Not ready to pull apart Hattons 66's just yet but will reach that level eventually in time.

I might actually buy a dead Hatton's 66 if it's below £70 and have a go at dismantling it and not worrying about killing a running one and just keep it for parts like adb968008 has been doing...sounds like a plan.

I keep thinking about doing the same thing if I could get hold of a 66 for the right price.

I’m used to repairing locos but it would have to be for the right price as I’m on a tight budget 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

At the back of my mind is RHTTs and weekend ballasts, thats the two trains ive seen most of in Lockdown... they tend to run top and tailed in my domain... and in the case of ballasts.. they run in 12’s.. 6x trains of top and tail.. makes for exciting saturday & sunday early hours (12-4am) videos.

A dummy chassis or two would be quite useful, at some point i’d imagine the stripped down knackers will arrive on the site... afterall that excellant after sales service of providing spares has to come from somewhere, and the ones seen so far as “returns” are not that bad.

the sell off of Bachmanns 66’s reminds me of the rundown of BR steam.. the better ones go first, at the end it was the real knackers left.

I think the “worst” is yet to come...said optimistically..then real boneyarding begins.

That said ive noticed a little “cuteness” on prices...

https://www.hattons.co.uk/641690/hattons_originals_h4_66_004_po07_class_66_66207_in_ews_livery_pre_owned_cab_light_not_working_at_one_end_loose/stockdetail.aspx

a few weeks ago, before EWS sold out, this would have been a £70 knacker... in addition to its listed faults, I can see unlisted faults... the airdam steps have gone on one end, and the front handrails broken on the other.. definitely one step lower than the sub- “£100 seconds” we saw the other week.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

I had noticed the not so favourable pricing on the DB/EWS ones.  Might be an own goal and they sit there for a while, as a few have shown up on eBay this past week and sold very quickly.  Saying that, there is always a buyer and I am sure that someone will purchase them at some point.  

I must admit to being quite fascinated in checking back each day to see what may appear next.  And I am sure that I am not the only one! 

I noticed that there are a number on eBay of the few remaining ones in stock (10+) for a 15% uplift over the Hatton's current pricing.  

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The picture is of 66088, not 66207. And for the same price, £119, you can get a 'good' version.

Edited by bartram108
Additional comment

• RMweb Premium

Took delivery of my first pre-owned 66’s, 66502. Was listed as glue marks in the roof but other than that no issues. The marks on the roof rubbed off with no residue left, the model is mint and runs fantastic. This one is destined to be renumbered in the near future. It takes my Hattons 66 fleet total to 21 now and I’m still undecided on the Royal Scotsman version. 

Edited by Ncarter2
mistake
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

Took delivery of my first pre-owned 66’s, 66502. Was listed as glue marks in the roof but other than that no issues. The marks on the roof rubbed off with no residue left, the model is mint and runs fantastic. This one is destined to be renumbered in the near future. It takes my Hattons 66 fleet total to 21 now and I’m still undecided on the Royal Scotsman version. 

If your stuck for ideas theres always a Gabon class 66

http://forestafricanews.com/acualites/gabon-la-setrag-acquiert-quatre-nouvelles-locomotives/

even Hornby hasnt done that one.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

If your stuck for ideas theres always a Gabon class 66

http://forestafricanews.com/acualites/gabon-la-setrag-acquiert-quatre-nouvelles-locomotives/

even Hornby hasnt done that one.

Keeping up international relations! 
For all its known faults, I do like the Hattons 66’s. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/03/2021 at 23:49, adb968008 said:

I used to use the £150 GBRF one as a measure, it had 30 odd left for ages, and as soon as anything slipped above it in the “least stock” search... generally sold out within 2 weeks.

tonight 66-011 in DRS has 27 left.. so that puts all freightliner and 66705 above it.

i reckon once the mainstream liveries have gone, Cemex,Pink, Scotsman will pick up.

I’m going to predict the old blue gbrf and European 66’s to be the ones that linger forever...though provide good respray fodder.

11 days on from this post and current form continues..

4 Freightliner 66593 left, so Freightliner will be gone by Monday for sure.

66-011 DRS - 17 left,

so

66-022 (66704 GBRF now has 27 left).. If trend continues I reckon next two weeks is last call for 66705/66433/66033, though i reckon the latter may be over taken by 66704).

I think the dynamic may change a bit thereafter, as peoples celebrity B lists move up, and the undesirables stagnate around them.

Rather than guessing whats next to sell out, is to pick who is the kid no one wants in their team.. my guess would be 66-024 GBrf blue named... To parody Meatloaf... and i’d take any shed from you, oh I will take any shed from you, but I wont buy that, no I wont have that.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

11 days on from this post and current form continues..

4 Freightliner 66593 left, so Freightliner will be gone by Monday for sure.

66-011 DRS - 17 left,

so

66-022 (66704 GBRF now has 27 left).. If trend continues I reckon next two weeks is last call for 66705/66433/66033, though i reckon the latter may be over taken by 66704).

I think the dynamic may change a bit thereafter, as peoples celebrity B lists move up, and the undesirables stagnate around them.

Freightliner 66593, yep one of those was me today and my sentiments exactly in regards to this one disappearing by Monday.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, classy52 said:

Freightliner 66593, yep one of those was me today and my sentiments exactly in regards to this one disappearing by Monday.

Down to the last one now! 

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, classy52 said:

...and just like that it's gone, Hattons literally sold 7 of 66593 in just a few hours.

Mad panic to get one of the more popular ones maybe? I was considering, but with 2 freightliner I decided I didn’t need a third. That said, I have something planned for one of my 502’s. 

• RMweb Premium
On 20/03/2021 at 12:16, SouthernMafia said:

So, Hattons, what happens when they all sell out? Done and dusted or time for batch 2 announcement ?

While the thought of more liverys would be nice it would make more sence to sort out the production issues on this so it is more what was pomised,ready to run out of the box.

All that this model have  proved here is that Hattons are all about shifting boxes and the not a peep here proves that,so close but perhaps if they had a Accurascale approach it would have done them so much better,its more of us being part of the team with them,just return it is not what we want as so many have missed out on ones they wanted by the thread comments.

If its to be rerun they should give the board contract to Iluminated Models as they sorted the large light issue where Hattons did not.

As ive said before its a great model ,but i real terms i did not expect to have to pull it apart and start again to have it reliable in the long term.

Why is 743 so unliked,its the only 200+ one now......

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
iliterate
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

While the thought of more liverys would be nice it would make more sence to sort out the production issues on this so it is more what was pomised,ready to run out of the box.

All that this model have  proved here is that Hattons are all about shifting boxes and the not a peep here proves that,so close but perhaps if they had a Accurascale approach it would have done them so much better,its more of us been part of the team with them,just return it is not what we want as so many have missed out on ones they wanted by the thread comments.

If its to be rerun they should give the board contract to Iluminated Models as they sorted the large light issue where Hattons did not.

As ive said before its a great model ,but i real terms i did not expect to have to pull it apart and start again to have it reliable in the long term.

Why is 743 so unliked,its the only 200+ one now......

Some very good points which I also feel Hattons need to adopt as follows;

1. Implement your own Warranty Repair Service or contract out to an authorized repairer for warranty jobs as sending back for a refund on a lot of these 66's is simply not an option due to being sold out (as I mentioned in one of my posts above).

2. Re-design the Axle Box feature which includes the bogie frames , axle box covers & axle stub lengths, I and many others have literally eliminated the wobble by drilling out the bogie frame holes using a 3.2mm drill bit, removing the excess spring moulding's off the back of 2 bogie frames per loco and re-gluing the AB's back onto the axle stub which is also too short (credits to adb968008 & Peter Dixon on YT).

3. Re-design the lighting board connections for the large bug-eyed light variants, maybe under warranty this repair or correction should have been contracted out to someone like Illuminated Models who have a fix in place but whether something like that is feasible or not is different matter entirely.

4. Perhaps take another look on how you attach the fine detail which is currently glued to the body which isn't ideal and problematic when removing the body, as with adb968008 I have resorted to start gluing the step handrails to the body thus reversing what Hattons have implemented which seems to work ok atm when taking the body off.

6. Pay more attention to livery colour (Freightliner G&W, use correct orange shade), livery positioning (Colas) and livery fonts (EWS) and get them right, also there was an issue with another Freightliner variant where above the air dams the yellow application wasn't correct?

5. Perhaps take a look at the quality control or quality of the motor/driveshafts assembly, I've had 3 fail on me already which seems to be related to this area of the model or perhaps I was just unlucky and not really an issue?

If Hattons are considering run No.2 with the above re-developed/re-designed and implemented then IMO they'll have a license to print money on making further Class 66's because with this batch practically sold out barring a few liveries they must have made a healthy return on their tooling investment, obviously there are other factors to consider such as their return rate and parts issuance but pretty confident they would be pleased with this project.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2