Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

E8A74F55-B9CA-4375-93F3-F93384B85E4F.jpeg

This looks great, how did you do the light lenses? A key feature of the 66 which unfortunately is missing on many models from several manufacturers, not just the 66s.

The best I could manage was some paint on the outside of the lens, but this clouded the brightness of the LEDs and looks a bit naff.

20210115_215350.jpg.2881d7cfd9c6038c0e13f3d4f5878cbf.jpg

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Very nice job John - I do like that livery.

Am I the only one that whenever I see the Maritime livery read it as Marmite?

Roy

Hi Roy

well I suppose you do either love it or hate it!!

John

• Funny 1

32 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

On closer inspection I think you've just got the white and red lights on at the same time! Haha my bad. But it does highlight the issue I mentioned, I've yet to see it convincingly modelled.

Well spotted

i forgot to turn the reds off as they are a separate function switch for number 1 and number 2 end!

John

36 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

This looks great, how did you do the light lenses? A key feature of the 66 which unfortunately is missing on many models from several manufacturers, not just the 66s.

The best I could manage was some paint on the outside of the lens, but this clouded the brightness of the LEDs and looks a bit naff.

20210115_215350.jpg.2881d7cfd9c6038c0e13f3d4f5878cbf.jpg

On the Hattons model, once the cab seats out, push lenses gently from out side and the whole light module can be extracted. It is like a box with slots in it that has the clear plastic lens runs in them. I got some paint on lens of my Bachmann 66 when doing it and used fine Emery to remove and polish lens end and all OK.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The new stock is down to 15 of 66033 and 66704 now, if its in your modelling timeframe,they will likely be next to dissapear.

Once they are gone Hattons themselves are restoring a higher price to there pre owned stock, wil be interesting to see where prices go once they have a few years under there belt.

A quick tip and suggestion I thought I’d post here to bring to owners' attention.

After seeing the frustration people have with getting the body off, I had a go with one of mine and it is indeed a pain. So I removed all 4 steps, which isn’t difficult with the glue being so poor. It turns out that the steps are mounted to the body with two lugs and the handrails simply locate in a hole in the cast chassis.

To save the steps being broken/damaged/lost, I decided to remove the lugs, leaving the step and handrails attached:

01EE39CB-28D9-4EDB-86BE-885B107E6FBB.jpeg.05f543ee91ba24d2bc366ed72e02f5ae.jpeg

The handrails can then be located into the holes and secured with a dab of superglue - which no doubt will be much better than whatever they used originally....

F03F872B-E552-413B-B147-618F8B5008DF.jpeg.ccd32ab5b54d572ea700d3f464c9710f.jpeg

Job's a good ‘un. The Freightliner loco above came with all steps AND one extra which was loose in the body, for some inexplicable reason. My other EWS shed didn’t come with any steps however, but I knew this from the second hand description. It turns out the shape can be fashioned from some 0.7mm plastic-coated wire (used in floristry) with relative ease using a pair of fine-nose pliers. It took minutes and will look passable when painted:

3A4D8440-B7CF-42B6-951B-4F86BB936DDC.jpeg.12e8a883b0f93afd913774ee3916cac5.jpeg

And a final tip...make sure you get the 'hand' of the steps correct as there are two with a longer left-hand handrail leg and two with longer R/H leg.

All in all it took 5 mins to chop and glue the original steps back in place, and about 5 minutes per step to make your own, so 25 mins...well worth it IMO. If only Hattons could do it this way to start with...

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Quick question re drilling out the side frame holes. Did people suggest 3.1mm or 3.2mm?

Ive used 3.2, no need to wiggle about.. aim for the middle just in and out and your wobbles be gone.

I use a 0.75mm to clear the hole in the axlebox too, often I find its caked in glue, and a little undersize (The axle is 1mm and I think part of the problem is the aperture being so small they are trying to pop off).. just go in around 1-1.5mm deep.. go too far you’ll come out the other end, so use a handrill and ream it slightly.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

With the track construction of my layout complete this was the first opportunity I have had to give my 66 a really good run.

Slight wobble initially but that largely disappeared after a bit of running, such a superb loco that looks and sounds the part.

Interesting to compare the Hatton's 66 with my other 66 (Hornby Captain Tom Moore). It's not until you put them together that you see the gulf in quality. Captain Tom will join my 'collectors' loco stable in memory of that fine man. I have a Hornby 60 and a Dapol 59 on order so they will more than make up for Captain Toms retirement.

But all in all I have to say my Hatton's Freightliner 66 is a beautiful loco.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive used 3.2, no need to wiggle about.. aim for the middle just in and out and your wobbles be gone.

I use a 0.75mm to clear the hole in the axlebox too, often I find its caked in glue, and a little undersize (The axle is 1mm and I think part of the problem is the aperture being so small they are trying to pop off).. just go in around 1-1.5mm deep.. go too far you’ll come out the other end, so use a handrill and ream it slightly.

Great thanks very much ADB. She looked smooth as silk once I got the axle box ends and sides off so no other issues with mine thank goodness. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I spotted this interesting pairing on wednesday...

maybe one for the future.

We had a good day out wednesday.. had 60055, Sence, GBRF Charity Railtours, Double headed 59’s, top n tail 66’s and 40145.. all in 2 hours..plus the usual random 66’s.

I suspect Tonbridge yard will be busy with enthusiasts this weekend as the pair are laying over there after midnight.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

On 07/04/2021 at 10:41, Sir TophamHatt said:

Quick question, are the speakers pointing up or down? 

In the instructions it tells you to install the speaker facing down.

I use EM2 speakers on mine and the lugs at each end of speaker would make it difficult to install facing up.

john

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

There's a few more "returns" listed - including a couple of sound fitted as of 14.45 12/4/21

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults.aspx?searchfield=h4-66

Thanks ive got my missing DRS plain blue !

full house now, will have a DCC chip to dispose of, as i’m a one way kind of guy, no alternating with me.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Thanks to Mick for the heads up of the new listed stock I picked up DRS 66433 from Hattons. Ordered in the afternoon and arrived lunchtime the next day. Well packed and prompt delivery as usual from Hattons. The description highlighted it had a couple of  glue marks on the roof which are not very bad but the loco is very smooth and quiet straight from the box so  for £109 is an absolute bargain. Ive now bought two locos at full price and this is my second pre-owned discounted model. Both discounted models purchased have, apart from the faults/damage listed, been better runners straight from the box so well worth keeping an eye out for. If you don’t mind a little bit of modelling these minor things can easily be rectified.

thanks

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pink bargain.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/656260/hattons_originals_h4_66_037_po16_class_66_66587_in_freightliner_one_pink_livery_as_one_we_can_pre_owned_wobbly_/stockdetail.aspx

Edit: Well that didn't last long - less than 10 minutes - now sold!

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold
On 15/04/2021 at 11:47, newbryford said:

Ive got to admit the Pink is actually quite nice.

As much as Pink doesnt belong on a model and I keep telling myself its magenta.

Its a pretty good model, I suspect that it and Cemex have only been slow as everyones been buying up all the standard liveries, and now theyve mostly gone, I reckon sales of this pair will probably speed up.

The  one doesnt look too bad either, hidden amongst the new ones..

https://www.hattons.co.uk/615958/hattons_originals_h4_66_036_d_po03_class_66_66623_in_freightliner_g_w_orange_livery_digital_fitted_pre_owned_sli/stockdetail.aspx

The livery might be halloween, but its becoming more common across the network..

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1