Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Indeed. What price was it? (Not that I was going to buy it, although if it was cheap I'll regret not).

Snaffled a 92 quid ECR 66218 the other day. Listed as having severe wobble.  I am confident that on arrival, chopping and fixing the exleboxes will result in a smooth runner. Done 22 so far.  I am quite partial to the ECR livery.  In the period 2010-12 they worked just about every form of freight in the UK.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Due to health issues, I largely missed out on the Class 66’s I wanted but I have to agree with @Johnfromozabout the ECR Class 66’s, looking to get Hatton’s ECR 66218 very soon as I saw it locally in 2012

I hope that Hatton’s are compiling a list for a second run as I could pitch several ideas their way.

0DEB9FA7-4222-4BCA-9215-728DA53125F9.jpeg

Edited by jools1959
Adding a picture
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I hope that Hatton’s are compiling a list for a second run as I could pitch several ideas their way.

It won't do you any harm to contact them.

You will be unlikely to get any hint about whether they intend to make a second batch. We will just have to keep guessing about that.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 15/04/2021 at 20:48, Pete the Elaner said:

It won't do you any harm to contact them.

You will be unlikely to get any hint about whether they intend to make a second batch. We will just have to keep guessing about that.

I've certainly got a few, 

DB;

66005, 047, 051, 090, 142, 148, 162 - Maritime Blue

66031, 091, 122, 126 - DRS Basic Blue

66085 - DB HVO

66109 - PD Ports

66113 - DB Key Workers

66150 - DB Future

66163, 178, 189, 220, 227, 248 - DB European (Mainly work in Poland)

Freightliner;

66413, 415, 419, 503, 623 - GW Freightliner

GBRf;

66701 - GBRf Original

66745 - Colas

66773 - Pride

66782 - Charity Railtours

66793 - Freight Construction

Advenza Freight;

66841, 842,843,844 

I've not added those that have been produced by Bachmann or commission's, but I'm sure there's others that can be added to the list.

Edited by jools1959
Typo

On 15/04/2021 at 17:53, jools1959 said:

Due to health issues, I largely missed out on the Class 66’s I wanted but I have to agree with @Johnfromozabout the ECR Class 66’s, looking to get Hatton’s ECR 66218 very soon as I saw it locally in 2012

0DEB9FA7-4222-4BCA-9215-728DA53125F9.jpeg

Seeing as they have shut down all communication after the faults were pointed out , you can try, but they’ll make what they feel will sell . End of story 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2021 at 03:51, YesTor said:

Okay, well, seeing as you ask...  :lol:

66779 'Evening Star'

66718 & 66721 London Transport twins

66623 Bardon Aggregates

66623 De-branded Bardon blue with large Freightliner logo

66747 Newell & Wright Transport

66747/748/749 GBRf Grey

66747/748/749 Plain Grey

66411 & 66414 Stobart twins

66720 GBRf 'Rainbow'

667xx GBRf revised Europort
667xx GBRf Europort (additional numbers)

66773 GBRf Pride livery

663xx  Fastline

66xxx  DB Red w/ large logo

66109 PD Ports

66727 GBRf Maritime

66xxx DB Maritime

66522 Freightliner/Shanks

66711 Aggregate Industries

And yes...  a few bog-standard original EWS with correct logos/fonts, for sure.

More Freightliner variants with the revised light clusters would be good.

Freightliner - Low-emission variant with 'bug-eye' lights.

DRS - Low-emission variant with 'bug-eye' lights.

Just those few for now...?  :P

ps...  Although to be honest, not another 37 variants in one hit - my bank balance can't stand it any more! 

:jester:

Al  

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I've certainly got a few, 

DB;

66005, 047, 051, 090, 142, 148, 162 - Maritime Blue

66031, 091, 122, 126 - DRS Basic Blue

66085 - DB HVO

66109 - PD Ports

66113 - DB Key Workers

66150 - DB Future

66163, 178, 189, 220, 227, 248 - DB European (Mainly work in Poland)

Freightliner;

66413, 415, 419, 503, 623 - GW Freightliner

GBRf;

66701 - GBRf Original

66745 - Colas

66773 - Pride

66782 - Charity Railtours

66793 - Freight Construction

Advenza Freight;

66841, 842,843,844 

I've not added those that have been produced by Bachmann or commission's, but I'm sure there's others that will be added to the list.

Any more for any more???

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Seeing as they have shut down all communication after the faults were pointed out , you can try, but they’ll make what they feel will sell . End of story 

I have to agree with you @rob D2, it was very disappointing that Hatton’s communications evaporated, not just on here but on Facebook once the faults and issues started to appear, which started as a trickle and then became a flood.

I spoke to Hatton’s Dave at the last Great Electric Train Show in Milton Keynes and he gave me the impression that a second and possibly third runs were in the pipeline, but maybe with the points raised about the issues, their sorting them out before announcing a second run.

I hope they do read these comments and take onboard the suggestions about other liveries.  Apart from the wobbles and bits falling off, I think the Class 66’s on the whole, were well received.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling

• RMweb Gold

But what price would people be prepared to pay ?

up until last November, I owned just 3 class Hattons 66’s.

The rest were on my “B” list, and there was floods of other A list models coming out.

I would have bought more, but it would have been a multi year journey.

Given the sale, I decided to over spend, and bought dozens at £119 as it was clear it was a sell off.

Should Hattons make more, if they went back to £150 that same initial restraint will apply.

But is £150 realistic ?

If they ignore the front steps, cab handrails, axle boxes and LEDs, they will face critics again. If they spend to resolve it, it needs to be recovered.

The £150 RRP  ignores a few years  inflation since,  and some of the requested types require a different array of tooling to what we've seen.

Whilst i’m sure they are sitting comfortably at with this batch at £119, is it sound economics to repeat it, knowing Bachmann and Hornby will match them, and all of the above.

They’ve got their money back in given the thousands surely sold, knowing they have the tooling for the future, they could simply spend on the next project, what would get you spending more... a dozen more 66’s or a dozen class 31’s (my wishlist ) to the same spec ?

i’m still thinking this is it, and thats all we are getting for a while.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

QC faults aside - it is a very good model.

£150 for a model without those issues is realistic when compared to the likes of the upcoming Accurascale 55s etc.

It is also very good when compared against the lesser specified Bachmann 66 - even when the Bachmann 66 is discounted.

£119 is even better value and the near/sub £100 for the imperfect locos is an absolute bargain if you're prepared to spend a few minutes work fettling.

I'm sure that Hattons will procure another run - with the QC issues sorted.

The gamble will be when to do so - especially when trying to tempt those that have "overbought" the £119/£100 stock.

And I don't doubt that they will be priced keenly again - even allowing for potential tooling changes to accommodate some of the more recent ex-Euro locos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
On 19/11/2020 at 10:02, classy52 said:

Just a heads up everyone Hattons have greatly reduced their DCC Ready Class 66 prices on new models from £150 down to a starting price of £119...absolute bargain on these!

In addition it appears their used prices have also been reduced further as well.

fyi its exactly. 5 months (and 30 minutes) since the sell off began.

10 versions left, soon to be 9. (from 37, and 111 inc Digital and Sound).

searching quantities suggest maybe around 500 non-sound/dcc left, 66743 allows me to put 195 in my basket !  Pink 66 is only 77, so big difference, but prior performance suggests its got less than 2 months to go.

I reckon it could be another 5 months before its all over, as the stragglers will be slow, though they are good for respray fodder... i’m betting its First GBRF that will be the final hanger on (i’m biased its the only one that doesnt appeal to me).

Edited by adb968008

19 hours ago, rob D2 said:

You keep describing them as having 'shut down all communication'.

What is there left to say? There were issues with the first (& so far only) batch. We know that & so do they.

Hattons will also know how much these cost them in time, spares, discounts & postage. They will also have a better idea than us of how much it will cost to correct them on a potential future batch.

So what would they have to gain from contributing on here & getting a slagging off from some? It will be far more likely than we hear one of the following:

"We made a loss from the first lot & have decided that re-engineering these to fix the issues it too expensive."

or

"We have been working hard re-designing the following issues:

x

y

z

& are producing another batch."

Until they are ready to make such an annoucement, they don't really have any information to share, so why do you regularly whinge about it?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

fyi its exactly. 5 months (and 30 minutes) since the sell off began.

10 versions left, soon to be 9. (from 37, and 111 inc Digital and Sound).

searching quantities suggest maybe around 500 non-sound/dcc left, 66743 allows me to put 195 in my basket !  Pink 66 is only 77, so big difference, but prior performance suggests its got less than 2 months to go.

I reckon it could be another 5 months before its all over, as the stragglers will be slow, though they are good for respray fodder... i’m betting its First GBRF that will be the final hanger on (i’m biased its the only one that doesnt appeal to me).

If I were Hattons I would withdraw the stragglers from sale just before a new set are announced and then feed them back for sale, possibly as pre-owned, once the new batch are here.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

If I were Hattons I would withdraw the stragglers from sale just before a new set are announced and then feed them back for sale, possibly as pre-owned, once the new batch are here.

Roy

That or do a final clearance.

Complete speculation, but theres only finite factory space in China, I I think there are other rtr models yet to arrive on our shores that I think might be from the same factory floor, but for different companies here, that could put a constraint on factory space for  more 66’s... purely just guessing. :read:

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

You keep describing them as having 'shut down all communication'.

What is there left to say? There were issues with the first (& so far only) batch. We know that & so do they.

Hattons will also know how much these cost them in time, spares, discounts & postage. They will also have a better idea than us of how much it will cost to correct them on a potential future batch.

So what would they have to gain from contributing on here & getting a slagging off from some? It will be far more likely than we hear one of the following:

"We made a loss from the first lot & have decided that re-engineering these to fix the issues it too expensive."

or

"We have been working hard re-designing the following issues:

x

y

z

& are producing another batch."

Until they are ready to make such an annoucement, they don't really have any information to share, so why do you regularly whinge about it?

Because , you’d expect an acknowledgment of the faults and a statement on how they will make the next batch better. It never happened .

And you’ll most definitely never hear “ we made a loss ....”.

From open and engaging to silence says a lot - they could look at how other manufacturers communicate and follow suit, such as the salmon wagons issue .

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Because , you’d expect an acknowledgment of the faults and a statement on how they will make the next batch better. It never happened .

And you’ll most definitely never hear “ we made a loss ....”.

From open and engaging to silence says a lot - they could look at how other manufacturers communicate and follow suit, such as the salmon wagons issue .

The faults were acknowledged a long time ago...

Not sure why people expected Hattons to keep acknowledging it? As for how it will be fixed for the next batch, maybe they don't know yet?

Roy

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Roy Langridge said:

The faults were acknowledged a long time ago...

Not sure why people expected Hattons to keep acknowledging it? As for how it will be fixed for the next batch, maybe they don't know yet?

Roy

Were they ? Did Hattons ever say on this thread “ we realise the axle boxes are not fit for purpose etc “. Please point me to a quote ? All the modellers acknowledged the faults but I can’t recall the manufacturer ( and I’m not wading through 190 pages to doubke check )

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Were they ? Did Hattons ever say on this thread “ we realise the axle boxes are not fit for purpose etc “. Please point me to a quote ? All the modellers acknowledged the faults but I can’t recall the manufacturer ( and I’m not wading through 190 pages to doubke check )

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=658

its all there, inc Q&A with the team.

(I should add, I dont see any other manufacturer doing this).

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, rob D2 said:

Not going to wade through it all but it certainly was acknowledged that they were problem and advice provided on what could be done to correct them. The wobble was also acknowledged as were the lighting issues.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

There is more to the hobby than this thread or this forum.

A forum like this is good for discussion & chatting but poor for storing information which can get updated.

Their own website is a much better place for this.

• Agree 2