Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

I didn't buy any at £150 but after they lowered the price to £119 (or less for returns) I now have well into the double figures and will likely buy a few more. I'm certainly not the only one to do this.

I think Hattons will be very aware of this and may want to keep any future releases at a price sub £150. I suspect Hattons will have made far more monthly profit selling many at £119 than a few at £150. Having models sitting in the warehouse costs money too.

I also think it won't cost much to fix the known issues. The only design change that is needed is the axle boxes. The bug eye light fault was a factory error that iirc Hattons said would be fixed on future runs. Most of the other issues could be fixed with factory QC improvements.

I also wonder if Hattons will wait until the very similar Dapol class 59 is released before fixing their axle issue and announcing any more.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I think you only have to look at the pre owned models that Hattons have been selling and read the descriptions to know Hattons have fully acknowledged the problems!

The descriptions regularly contain one of the following statements 

wobble

lights not working

Steps broken or paint missing

etc

If that’s not a public acknowledgement I don’t know how much clearer they can make it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=658

its all there, inc Q&A with the team.

(I should add, I dont see any other manufacturer doing this).

Athearn have done this recently with their G2 SD60 model. And promptly offered a fix for the missing axle boxes that some of the models.  But the Americans really don't tolerate such issues. 

Interestingly, Scaletrains provide a packet of spare axle boxes in all locos they sell. So clearly not just isolated to Hattons, though none of mine have ever had that issue, as I'm sure that there are countless 66's that are purring fine as well. 

I think they've (Hattons) handled it well, when directly contacted. Comms is key in all aspects of life, you don't get if you don't ask. 

Just latching onto thread, not you specifically. 

Cheers 

Edited by GEOEng03
Added last para.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I should think Hattons will wait until the returns / guarantees have run out on the current v1 locos before announcing any more.

You'll have people who aren't too precious wanting to send their original ones back and get a v2 (with the fixes), which means they'll be stuck with hundreds of pre-owned, likely damaged locos.

May as well not bother talking about it for another 8 months or so.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Makes one wonder where they keep getting them,sold out ones reappearing has happened a few times so they seem to resupply at times.

With an operation size and scale of Hattons 5 locos is a needle in a haystack, I often can’t find one in my loft and Ive nothing like Hattons stock... every now again I find something I didnt know I had too.

i’m going to guess...

If your looking at a stock of cardboard boxes marked 1 thing, its easy to count the cardboard boxes without checking the contents and assume its correct... only when you open the box you then find its something else.

That said, on other threads, a lot of people seem to be hoping they can find some Hornby pre-orders stashed down the back of some shelves.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I often can’t find one in my loft and Ive nothing like Hattons stock... every now again I find something I didnt know I had too

I'm not the only one then! I have lost my 20023 and 44008 in the house somewhere. I know I have them, I have the lights ready to fit in 44008, but despite trying for nearly a year, I can't fiind them.

Roy 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I'm not the only one then! I have lost my 20023 and 44008 in the house somewhere. I know I have them, I have the lights ready to fit in 44008, but despite trying for nearly a year, I can't fiind them.

Roy 

My loft can be a bit like the tide.

Ive been perpetually clearing out for 4 years now.

trouble is soon as I make space, a new release fills it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/04/2021 at 10:19, Roy Langridge said:

I'm not the only one then! I have lost my 20023 and 44008 in the house somewhere. I know I have them, I have the lights ready to fit in 44008, but despite trying for nearly a year, I can't find them.

Roy 

If your household's anything like mine it could be your wife's thrown them out - lots of things, not necessarily railway related, go missing, about which all knowledge is always denied.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Graham108 said:

If your household's anything like mine it could be your wife's thrown them out - lots of things, not necessarily railway related, go missing, about which all knowledge is always denied.

She wouldn't dare! If she did she may find her Swarovski crystal has followed... :yes:

Roy

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Well, I've just had to clear out the spare bedroom of things that 'just appeared' over the last year - it could well be that a clear-out occurred without due notice.

There is another thread elsewhere and some of the stories were really, really bad.

Cheers,

Philip

1 hour ago, Graham108 said:

That’s divorce level + !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Graham108 said:

Poltergeists. I have (somewhere) a blue 0-4-0 Hornby Barclay shunter. Has not resurfaced in several recent searches through the stock boxes when seeking other items.  Other stuff (mine and SWMBOs) goes missing/reappears regularly.

Edited by john new
Typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/05/2021 at 09:15, Eden Road TMD said:

More bits of my 66’s have fallen off. This time it’s the grill and cover for the horns on one end. Only been out the box a few times.  

Its the gift that keeps on giving,in this case it gives you something to do sorting it out.

Not many variations left now and few seem to hit e bay so it came good in the end.

• Agree 5

• 3 weeks later...

I notice that there's now  only one version of the old EWS/DB maroon livery left on sale. The news today of another new wagon release, which will complement the 66 is hopefully food for thought at Hattons. I for one would certainly be interested in models in the new variety of liveries and also the original liveries but with new numbers.

Edited by ayrmrg

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, ayrmrg said:

I notice that there's now  only one version of the old EWS/DB maroon livery left on sale. The news today of another new wagon release, which will complement the 66 is hopefully food for thought at Hattons. I for one would certainly be interested in models in the new variety of liveries and also the original liveries but with new numbers.

I havent looked at the Hattons 66’s for at least a month.

It looks like out of luck now on the EWS/DB one.

indeed only 3 DRS ones left before extinction, and the first Royal Scotsman seems to be only around a dozen... then all thats left is the ugly half dozen to clear.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

indeed only 3 DRS ones left before extinction, and the first Royal Scotsman seems to be only around a dozen... then all thats left is the ugly half dozen to clear.

The Cemex is down to 16, Scotsman 743 has loads but 746 is down to 12,strange one was so much more popular,take a while for others as there is loads of some.The As KUA has probably cleared the DRS down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The Cemex is down to 16, Scotsman 743 has loads but 746 is down to 12,strange one was so much more popular,take a while for others as there is loads of some.The As KUA has probably cleared the DRS down.

I wouldnt be surprised if in the stack of one scotsman, they find a few boxes of the other.

Others occasionally showed up, after selling out, but it is starting to look like the end of this batch of 66’s is coming.  

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Scotsman 743 has loads but 746 is down to 12,strange one was so much more popular

I bought one just before it looked like it was about to sell out earlier. They then replenished it.

I'm holding off buying the second one to; a) spread out my 66 purchases over a longer period, and b) see if any cheap second hand ones appear.

Once the numbers dwindle I'll then buy one. Risky I know. This could explain the apparent popularity of one over the other.

Edited by scottrains29
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I wouldnt be surprised if in the stack of one scotsman, they find a few boxes of the other.

Others occasionally showed up, after selling out, but it is starting to look like the end of this batch of 66’s is coming.  

Yes 746 sold out before xmas and 50 more appeared,some will be here after the real ones scrapped by some numbers.