Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve noticed on that certain online auction site, several of Hatton’s Class 66’s are listed and noticed the high prices people are prepared to pay.  I wonder if Hatton’s selling them off cheap was such a good idea?

Only 30 chances left to make up minds on the pink one.

66746 only has 2 left.

G&W 66 seems like its going to be a very long time yet

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

G&W 66 seems like its going to be a very long time yet

If it were the correct shade of orange for that particular 66, I’d have one. It’s not as if it’s one you could renumber either due to the light clusters… who knows, another body shell may turn up in the future just as other manufacturers have :dontknow:

Edited by Shoey
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Shoey said:

If it were the correct shade of orange for that particular 66, I’d have one. It’s not as if it’s one you could renumber either due to the light clusters… who knows, another body shell may turn up in the future just as other manufacturers have :dontknow:

Yep, I'd have had one on launch if they hadn't screwed the colour up!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Shoey said:

By the time its got a few years on it and grime and weather bleaches it out.its just a shame that the experts at Hattons got so many things not as they should be,i did not buy the Colas pair as the colour break error ,on the actual loco they hired for sound recordings.........

• Like 1

On 30/07/2021 at 09:38, TomScrut said:

Yep, I'd have had one on launch if they hadn't screwed the colour up!

Yes, same here.....

On my 40th birthday on my way to a friends for a drink (or several) i got the word 66623 was emerging from Eastleigh in its new coat of orange paint, so off i went to the station to see it, very few enthusiasts about and im fairly sure i got the first photo of it on the mainline returning to Southampton Maritime, which i then sent to WNXX who used the pic on their news page. A nice little 40th treat for myself,  Hattons 66623 would have been my first purchase had they got the colour right.

As it stands i only have the one so far (66957), if Hattons done some more, id certainly be in the que to purchase, especially Freightliner examples.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Comment on page 35 of September 2021 Hornby Magazine says that, quote, “..Hattons has responded to feedback to its Class 66s and confirmed to Hornby Magazine that it has taken steps to ensure future batches will have the faults rectified.”

It doesn’t say when Hattons confirmed this to HM but it seems to suggest that there will be further batches in the future.

Hopefully this is the case and fingers crossed that the next batche(s) will address the issues.

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

26 minutes ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

Comment on page 35 of September 2021 Hornby Magazine says that, quote, “..Hattons has responded to feedback to its Class 66s and confirmed to Hornby Magazine that it has taken steps to ensure future batches will have the faults rectified.”

It doesn’t say when Hattons confirmed this to HM but it seems to suggest that there will be further batches in the future.

Hopefully this is the case and fingers crossed that the next batche(s) will address the issues.

That sounds good. I have too big a backlog to take on something which would require so much work, especially as I have enough Class 66s as it is. However, had the originals been trouble free, I would have been curious to get one. The information above seems to suggest that I’ll eventually be able to get one. 

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Chris56057 said:

I would be interested to see whether they tool up any of the Euro versions of the 66's. I think these would sell well. 

You mean GBRFs recent euro imports ?

absolutely.

I wouldnt be surprised over time if most of the Euro sheds make their way to the UK to end their careers, either in service or as spares.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

You mean GBRFs recent euro imports ?

absolutely.

I wouldnt be surprised over time if most of the Euro sheds make their way to the UK to end their careers, either in service or as spares.

Yeah so examples like 751 I've shared in a photo of in this thread above and others - it will be interesting to see whether these are done. 

I think it would be logical for Hattons to do another run of the 66's, plenty more liveries to do and the fact that there isn't many about now available online must show they that were popular despite the obvious issues.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/05/2018 at 16:01, Hattons Dave said:
Afternoon all

You spoke, we listened! Due to enormous demand

post-28458-0-05285900-1525963998_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Well theres plenty speaking but are they still listening one wonders.be nice to know if thats still the case,the chassis reworked and hopefully some metal gears would be nice to match some of the other players in the game,this model has to have the best potential as so many liverys popping up and more will come no doubt.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Well theres plenty speaking but are they still listening one wonders.be nice to know if thats still the case,the chassis reworked and hopefully some metal gears would be nice to match some of the other players in the game,this model has to have the best potential as so many liverys popping up and more will come no doubt.

Metal drive shaft too might be good.

in summary my mod wishlist:

1. Screw on brass axlebox cap, (ok I can dream), but failing that 2mm longer tapered axles to allow a longer hub on which to to fit the cap.

2. Fit cab steps / grab handle to frame, not body, makes body removal a doddle.

3. Glue the front steps to the ploughs.

4. lighting on the newer light clustered versions

5. metal drive shaft

6. slightly larger axle box holes in the bogie sides, with the excess flash removed.

if you can do all that, plus tool up the new “euro” import body with different handrail config (66792) , extended hornbox option (66793), euro buffers and body side differences.. then sell spares of 1,2,3,4 & 5 whilst keeping the price at £119..:D  i’d be ok with it. 

Going to look at my unicorns now.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Midnight-Freight said:

I know this is the Hatton's thread but given Bachmann's recent announcement of a new high-end class  47, which appears to have been in the pipeline for a few years I wonder if they've looked at doing the same with their own 66 and raising the bar a little further still.

Given that Hattons have said, in this months Hornby Magazine, the issues with this first batch will be rectified with future batches, I fail to see what areas could be improved on. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Midnight-Freight said:

I know this is the Hatton's thread but given Bachmann's recent announcement of a new high-end class  47, which appears to have been in the pipeline for a few years I wonder if they've looked at doing the same with their own 66 and raising the bar a little further still.

At £320 for the delux sound 47 and its sold out on pre order at many places it might get Hattons to up there game

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Given that Hattons have said, in this months Hornby Magazine, the issues with this first batch will be rectified with future batches, I fail to see what areas could be improved on. 

I was just thinking out loud really but given the price point of the top spec 47 if that's the direction Bachmann are taking they may well feel there are new features or improvements they could introduce. Also if it were to happen the decision would likely have been made long before Hatton's confirmed there would be another batch of their model. As I say I'm merely speculating out of curiosity.

Edited by Midnight-Freight
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Midnight-Freight said:

IMHO, apart from the QC issues and design with the axlebox ends, there is very little height above the Hattons 66 to play with.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

And that particular magazine has a good explanation as to why the problem with the axle boxes exists.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

And that particular magazine has a good explanation as to why the problem with the axle boxes exists.

Yeah hopefully they tighten up the clearances on the tooling to sort them. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just read a really good article in Hornby Magazine about the Hatton’s Class 66 and how to easy fix 99% of the problems associated with the model (if there is any).  What was interesting was the not very subtle hint regarding the next release and reading between the lines, it’s possibly going to be announced when they’re about to be dispatched from China.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Just read a really good article in Hornby Magazine about the Hatton’s Class 66 and how to easy fix 99% of the problems associated with the model (if there is any).  What was interesting was the not very subtle hint regarding the next release and reading between the lines, it’s possibly going to be announced when they’re about to be dispatched from China.

Reading between the lines is a very dangerous habit. Hornby could say in 40 days we are announcing 60 new products and undoubtedly someone will read between that and say we are getting a new Class 50. 
Regarding the article, I noticed on my 66 the very same extra spots of plastic spring too. Cut it away and runs like a dream now with out resorting to drills. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Reading between the lines is a very dangerous habit. Hornby could say in 40 days we are announcing 60 new products and undoubtedly someone will read between that and say we are getting a new Class 50. 
Regarding the article, I noticed on my 66 the very same extra spots of plastic spring too. Cut it away and runs like a dream now with out resorting to drills. 

This fix was mentioned in this thread 'somewhere' but got drowned in the sea of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

It was my interpretation and I didn’t say it was fact.  I’d heard from several people in the trade that when they are ready to be released, the announcement will be made.  I think Hatton’s are very wary of what happened last time, making announcement, get everyone excited, then the delivery date (or dates) keep slipping further and further back.

Regardless of the great unwashed who rubbished the model, it’s a terrific model with just a few niggles which those with even basic modelling skills, can  put right.  I look forward to the second batch arriving.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jools1959 said:

It was my interpretation and I didn’t say it was fact.  I’d heard from several people in the trade that when they are ready to be released, the announcement will be made.  I think Hatton’s are very wary of what happened last time, making announcement, get everyone excited, then the delivery date (or dates) keep slipping further and further back.

Regardless of the great unwashed who rubbished the model, it’s a terrific model with just a few niggles which those with even basic modelling skills, can  put right.  I look forward to the second batch arriving.

Sorry my first statement was meant in jest. Hard to convey in text sometimes lol. I can’t wait for the next batch. I love my Royal Scotsman 66. Even more now it runs smoothly and not like a walking duck haha. Really hoping they allow an Evening Star in the next run. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1