Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, YesTor said:

Ditto!  Times 10!  :dancer:

66779 66727 66797 Trowell Junction

I have the Locomotion Models boxed set of 66779 and 92220 so it would be nice to be able to retire both of them and keep them nice and clean in their box and use Hornbys new 9F and a new Hattons 66. I know they said they wouldn’t do models that had already been released but here’s hoping it’s popular enough for them to do it. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought Hornby had done 66779 “Evening Star” in their railroad range but I was mistaken.  Because the NRM were involved, there might be agreement between them and Bachmann to produce 66779 solely.  If there is, there might be a time limit and Hatton’s might be able to produce it at a later date.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I thought Hornby had done 66779 “Evening Star” in their railroad range but I was mistaken.  

Well they did one in their main range, R3747, arguably should've been Railroad.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/08/2021 at 22:39, jools1959 said:

Regardless of the great unwashed who rubbished the model, it’s a terrific model with just a few niggles which those with even basic modelling skills, can  put right.  I look forward to the second batch arriving.

I have said before; I am sure there will be a second batch. It is just a matter of when, not if. Producing the tooling is expensive but it already exists not so there should be a better profit margin with a second run.

I am sure Hattons will want to make a few changes but these will be minor compared with a complete re-tool

On 10/08/2021 at 22:01, spamcan61 said:

This fix was mentioned in this thread 'somewhere' but got drowned in the sea of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

That is a problem with a forum. It is great for discussion but anything you may want to refer back to can become awkward to find.

A wiki is much better for information you may want to refer back to. Articles can be added. modified & re-arranged so they are easy to find.

The problem is that they are designed for everybody to update but most people think of them as a web site, expecting 1 or a small group of people to update it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

Well they did one in their main range, R3747, arguably should've been Railroad.

Then there should be no issues with Hatton’s producing one if they desire or high enough demand.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Then there should be no issues with Hatton’s producing one if they desire or high enough demand.

It’s not a licensing issue. Hattons originally said they would not produce a locomotive that had already been done by someone else. That’s why Evening Star wasn’t in the first run. There’s no doubt it would have sold like hot cakes if it had been. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Hattons originally said they would not produce a locomotive that had already been done by someone else.

I do wonder if that will be different this time round. The other two have done 66s they have covered since theirs came out so I doubt they will be reciprocating the courtesy.

They do have a few celebs to go at that Bachmann haven't done, even if Hornby have I don't really regard that as competition.

11 hours ago, big jim said:

I’d certainly buy a model of 66769 in its new ‘prostate cancer uk’ livery if that became available 

Likewise, would maybe be a good one to do some sort of fundraiser against too (even if it came at a price premium)

• Like 2

I was going to get the sound fitted version of Bachmanns 779 Evening Star but when I saw it myself in the last couple of years all the BR insignia etc are so heavily faded now that it would be incorrect looking ex-works on my layout even if it was weathered.

It looked really drab (not just grubby), possibly not obvious from my snap. 

39055EDB-29FC-439D-88CD-140B181998BE.jpeg

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Typo

8 minutes ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

I was going to get the sound fitted version of Bachmanns 779 Evening Star but when I saw it myself in the last couple of years all the BR insignia etc are so heavily faded now that it would be incorrect looking ex-works on my layout if even it it was weathered.

It looked really drab (not just grubby), possibly not obvious from my snap. 

39055EDB-29FC-439D-88CD-140B181998BE.jpeg

Wow really poor quality transfer that was used by the manufacturers. I would have thought as something of a celebrity, GBRF would have kept it looking its best. Its only been in service 5 years, and there are heritage steam and diesel locos where the BR insignia is not faded at all after a similar period...

Edited by G-BOAF

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Wow really poor quality transfer that was used by the manufacturers. I would have thought as something of a celebrity, GBRF would have kept it looking its best. Its only been in service 5 years, and there are heritage steam and diesel locos where the BR insignia is not faded at all after a similar period...

Did the green look like the BR steam era green when it was newly done? I saw this a few weeks ago for the first time and it was only after I got home and looked at the internet that I realised what it was meant to be! I saw the real steam era green in full sunshine - not least at its best on the slab side of an ER Co Co electric

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class66/e9db4f358

Video  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class66/e9db5527e

Paul

On 10/08/2021 at 22:39, jools1959 said:

It was my interpretation and I didn’t say it was fact.  I’d heard from several people in the trade that when they are ready to be released, the announcement will be made.  I think Hatton’s are very wary of what happened last time, making announcement, get everyone excited, then the delivery date (or dates) keep slipping further and further back.

Regardless of the great unwashed who rubbished the model, it’s a terrific model with just a few niggles which those with even basic modelling skills, can  put right.  I look forward to the second batch arriving.

Great unwashed ? Really.....have a word with yourself .

I was critical of the design failings, but I’d have one if they fix it. Until then it’s defective . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

27 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Did the green look like the BR steam era green when it was newly done? I saw this a few weeks ago for the first time and it was only after I got home and looked at the internet that I realised what it was meant to be! I saw the real steam era green in full sunshine - not least at its best on the slab side of an ER Co Co electric

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class66/e9db4f358

Video  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class66/e9db5527e

Paul

Sadly the light on each loco is different, but I think that at the time of naming the green was quite good, as did the organge lining (see link below). I don't think it has changed that much it is only the BR Crest which has degraded.

http://www.rail.co.uk/images/8878/original/6-The-two-Evening-Stars-at-York-NRM-by-Phil-Marsh.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Up until recently, every time I saw 66779 it was absolutely filthy, the first time was when it had only been in traffic 6 months.  You have to remember that steam loco’s that are seen running about today are somewhat pampered machines, well cared for where as 66779 is a work horse and in today’s railway environment, it’s not making money if it’s sitting on a siding or depot.

• Agree 1

'Celebrity' locos are fine occasionally, but it's the bread and butter un-named standard liveried locos that I'd like. New batches of EWS, DRS, GBRF, Freightliner locos would be nice. These are the ones that sold out far quicker and are going for high prices on ebay, so there is a demand for them. 

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, jools1959 said:

it’s not making money if it’s sitting on a siding or depot.

Or broken!

F1DE3730-B16F-4084-9C51-37F8E6CA1080.jpeg.80dae62f1ecfe0c42f0bd43a7bb2dc7d.jpeg

dead in train on my Mountsorrel to Doncaster job the other week, a proper pain as I couldn’t drive it so had to run round it at Leicester to get into Mountsorrel! 

Edited by big jim
Video added
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 14/08/2021 at 10:30, ayrmrg said:

'Celebrity' locos are fine occasionally, but it's the bread and butter un-named standard liveried locos that I'd like. New batches of EWS, DRS, GBRF, Freightliner locos would be nice. These are the ones that sold out far quicker and are going for high prices on ebay, so there is a demand for them. 

Just an observation, but un-named GBRf 66s are very much in the minority now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Can someone tell me the Hornby Magazine number for the Class 66 stuff?

May see if I can pick a 2nd hand copy up to give it a read.

It’s in the latest issue 

Edited by jools1959