Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

If true (which it may well be), I guess the lead time is quite long.

I doubt anything will be announced early after the multiple delays last time.

I wonder if they would announce them at all until they are here… last time Hornby and Bachmann decided to fast track a “me too” version.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, just thought I would post a photo of my re-worked DBS Hattons 66 to represent key worker livery 66113.

After removing DB Schenker logo found I needed to re-spray the area where removed. Luckily, Phoenix Precision Paints DB red is a perfect match.

decals are by Steve at Railtec and, to ensure no slivering when adhered to ribbed sides, I mixed a thin coat of PVA  with water and brushed S coat over decal area prior to application of decals. Really pleased with final result.

54D33C3A-9CA0-4FEF-B9B8-C581B2384BE5.jpeg

C3064977-EC6F-40D5-8E34-CA42FD5707C3.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I see Hattons were at GETS this weekend,did anyone see anything of these or grill a member of there stand as to what if any news is available on these as far as more models being produced.66587 is down to 6 left and 66727 is at 19 and a £99 pre owned so once they bite the dust only three new variations remain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I see Hattons were at GETS this weekend,did anyone see anything of these or grill a member of there stand as to what if any news is available on these as far as more models being produced.66587 is down to 6 left and 66727 is at 19 and a £99 pre owned so once they bite the dust only three new variations remain.

I didn't, but a friend of mine did.

They stated the obvious really: that they had invested a lot in the tooling & were not about to waste it. Also that some liveries require licensing agreements which need to be in place before they can be produced.

I would not expect them to give out any more information at this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I didn't, but a friend of mine did.

They stated the obvious really: that they had invested a lot in the tooling & were not about to waste it. Also that some liveries require licensing agreements which need to be in place before they can be produced.

I would not expect them to give out any more information at this time.

I spoke to Richard Davis yesterday and he pretty much stated what @Pete the Elaner friend said.  There is a second batch planned, but don’t expect it to be anytime soon.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Many of the new liveries require a tooling variant we haven't yet seen from anybody..

The Euro imports..

E0C25D19-A0F4-4170-BC43-AF654772D87E.jpeg.6310043f7d51e0e6a5e3be5cb664a0b6.jpeg

Euro buffers..

The protruding horn box…

ABC29341-4501-46D2-982C-B79FE2F75FF6.jpeg.b7c7b3dc1e1503513b0a52285ea9347e.jpeg

note, when aligning the image.. i noticed some minor observations.

The rooflines appear slightly different.. the RFC 66 tapers the roof downwards to the cab front where as the GBRF blue one is dead straight.

Also note the headlight is lower, as is the cantrail stripe, as the body to roof taper is different too…

marked up here..it might be the camera angle but here it is, but it is angled 90 degrees to the lampost, as well as the gbrf blue roof.

E1E664E0-2D66-461A-A82F-D0F9FABC85CB.jpeg.0e90bd8a923b8c9bb494c8eabc6cc0d3.jpeg

2EF4BB44-1202-4698-9D88-18F771AF437D.jpeg.af280b0c60c0bf471f9b95b3f204fae4.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

the RFC 66 tapers the roof downwards to the cab front where as the GBRF blue one is dead straight.

..it might be the camera angle but here it is.

Yeah, I think that at least is down to camera angle.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The rooflines appear slightly different.. the RFC 66 tapers the roof downwards to the cab front where as the GBRF blue one is dead straight.

Also note the headlight is lower, as is the cantrail stripe, as the body to roof taper is different too…

Lots of plausible reasons:  What you are essentially saying is that everything is approximately one-inch lower between the two machines?  I'd be more inclined to think that either the track or ground isn't quite level, or maybe on a very slight incline?  Or the suspension varies from one machine to the other?  There will be tolerances on anything that is manufactured/built to spec. 

Either way, even if there is a difference, you are talking about one-third of a millimetre in 1:76?  Crazy?!  :rolleyes:

My guess would be that if you were to position any two locomotives end-to-end and take a photo that there would likely be some inconsistency between the two.   

Al 

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, YesTor said:

My guess would be that if you were to position any two locomotives end-to-end and take a photo that there would likely be some inconsistency between the two.   

Absolutely true, it depends how much you care…

66790 - 66792 all have different front hand rails to the other class 66’s, and the side cab windows are older style compared to 66793, theres at least 3 different cab windows..and different sand boxes, different top headlights too.

at the airdam level, the buffers are different, on 66793 also,  meaning only 1 large step each side, not two…

4A196ED8-2976-43AA-BB52-B89926FAF567.jpeg.4b12c6feff3fc678d420785ae2b85ccf.jpeg

(As well as the buffers and lights)..

The recent arrivals are each quite unique, I understand under the hood too.

A49527E1-D49E-45BD-ACD7-9B9EBD36AB2F.jpeg.3bf00c4866e127c74cb2eb89dd5b3d10.jpeg

Dapol ‘s class 68 modelled crazy details such as a 2 screw vs 6 screw grab handrail… yes they really did, so if Hattons do the new liveries it would be nice if they got them right, and you can be certain Hornby will do these new liveries, but omit the details…

Hattons went to the extreme of different weld patterns on one of the cab fronts of the first run 66’s… though I guess some missed that, but agree how far do you go.. if were Happy with Hornby then why goto the lengths Hattons went to, when asking them for more, especially when the price is likely to be c£200+.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

As with most things in life its easy to pick fault but hard at times to do better,its a good model as it is but would have been so much better with a bit better quality control and real world testing before release.

See what they have learned if the second batch materialise,the game has been lifted by other companys now with recent new models,will they rise to the challenge.

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

at the airdam level, the buffers are different, on 66793 also,  meaning only 1 large step each side, not two…

4A196ED8-2976-43AA-BB52-B89926FAF567.jpeg.4b12c6feff3fc678d420785ae2b85ccf.jpeg

(As well as the buffers and lights)..

And twin air pipes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, YesTor said:

Either way, even if there is a difference, you are talking about one-third of a millimetre in 1:76?  Crazy?!  :rolleyes:

But we're quite happy to accept a 2mm or more discrepancy in track gauge..........

:D

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Dapol ‘s class 68 modelled crazy details such as a 2 screw vs 6 screw grab handrail… yes they really did...

Hattons went to the extreme of different weld patterns on one of the cab fronts of the first run 66’s… though I guess some missed that, but agree how far do you go..

Yes, absolutely aware of all of the above, but those are very much depicting legitimate detail differences.

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

66790 - 66792 all have different front hand rails to the other class 66’s, and the side cab windows are older style compared to 66793, theres at least 3 different cab windows..and different sand boxes, different top headlights too.

Again agreed, all legitimate detail differences that, in my humble opinion, would be wise to be depicted on any high-spec model. 

The point I am simply trying to make - without causing offence -  is that I'm not sure that highlighting that one machine happens to have been photographed sitting perhaps one-inch higher than another, is evidence of a variation in build.  Working on your theory, let's suppose I want a model of 66590, should I seek to reproduce the model leaning 3 degrees to the left, after all it has been photographed as such on occasion...  

...and it becomes a crazy argument.   :rolleyes:

66590 & 66504 at Ipswich

66590, 66575 & 66955 on Ipswich yard

21 hours ago, adb968008 said:

They are identical.  If you refer to your grid you'll also see that your GBRf blue 66 on the right has the same very slight incline in the roof, except it's *cough*, sitting half an inch higher in the photograph.

Looking at the Euroshed (66793) from a different angle and to be fair I'm struggling to see any discernable difference in ride height:

66793.jpg.1e2bb0758c401afbc263ada407a09bd4.jpg

I just don't buy the idea that one locomotive is riding higher than the other, or that the roofline is somehow different. 

In fact, there is a distinct danger in that sometimes we can look so hard at things that we begin to see things that aren't really there...  <_<

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, YesTor said:

I want a model of 66590, should I seek to reproduce the model leaning 3 degrees to the left, after all it has been photographed as such on occasion...  

...and it becomes a crazy argument.   :rolleyes:

66590 & 66504 at Ipswich

66590, 66575 & 66955 on Ipswich yard

They are identical.  

Looking at the Euroshed (66793) from a different angle and to be fair I'm struggling to see any discernable difference in ride height:

66793.jpg.1e2bb0758c401afbc263ada407a09bd4.jpg

It’s actually showing the roof angle better in your photograph than mine.

I noticed a droop on all 3 times ive seen it which is why I took the picture in the first place, maybe i’m seeing things, maybe the cameras not getting it, but either way whatever.

and FYI 66590 isn’t the same as 66504… not even close..

it has a different roof headlamp, just for starters, as well as headlight mountings (not the headlights) and the different cab windows, handrail mounting, lifting lug positions, no airdam steps, different sand boxes.. 7 years between them moved the jigs along a bit.

The other photo of 3 in a line shows the different light clusters and headlight, as well as a different cab seam… there will be a stage where every 66 is uniquely different.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

These are going for good money at times now most have sold out which does non of us who bough some any harm.Like or loath it the pink 66587 has gone now and 66727 is at 12 new left. I doubt a re run will be as cheap as this so im glad i got what i wanted with these.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if anyone's mentioned the recessed section below the cab windows before . Brought to my attention last night by one of the other model manufacturers

A quick perusal and it looks like it's only on 66752-66779

image.png.ce110f98026dc30ec154ea74616914a2.png

Original Flickr pic

GBRf Class 66 (66779) - Motherwell

And 66773/778

image.png.94ed9b331d445adefe70fe500f2e2c0a.png

Original flickr pic 

66778 at Ipswich

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, newbryford said:

Not sure if anyone's mentioned the recessed section below the cab windows before . Brought to my attention last night by one of the other model manufacturers

A quick perusal and it looks like it's only on 66752-66779

image.png.ce110f98026dc30ec154ea74616914a2.png

Original Flickr pic

GBRf Class 66 (66779) - Motherwell

And 66773/778

image.png.94ed9b331d445adefe70fe500f2e2c0a.png

Original flickr pic 

66778 at Ipswich

Hattons have tooled this cab version.

two models..

https://www.hattons.co.uk/365834/hattons_originals_h4_66_027_d_class_66_66756_in_gbrf_europorte_livery_royal_corps_of_signals_digital_fitted/stockdetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/365838/hattons_originals_h4_66_028_s_class_66_66762_in_gbrf_europorte_livery_sound_fitted_sold_out_on_pre_order/stockdetail.aspx

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Nice, well done to Hattons for that small piece of attention to detail. Much better than the Hornby approach of just paint it in the livery and hope we'll never notice! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, surfsup said:

Nice, well done to Hattons for that small piece of attention to detail. Much better than the Hornby approach of just paint it in the livery and hope we'll never notice! 

Its better than that though, take a look at the cab front handrails…

They modelled two types, the difference being the very centre handrail support.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/365827/hattons_originals_h4_66_025_class_66_66731_in_gbrf_first_group_livery/stockdetail.aspx

vs

https://www.hattons.co.uk/365830/hattons_originals_h4_66_026_class_66_66740_in_gbrf_europorte_livery_sarah_/stockdetail.aspx

(one of the aspects that separates 66590 from 66504 above, in addition to everything else mentioned).

Hattons really have been under recognised for the inane detail levels they went to on their class 66.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 09/10/2021 at 23:42, surfsup said:

Cuts both ways,the very locomotive that they hired for sound the got the colour break wrong and Hornby got it right,i would have expected them to get right whats there in front of them,i would have liked a Colas pair.

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
illiteracy
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Cuts both ways,the very locomotive that they hired for sound the got the colour brake wrong and Hornby got it right,i would have expected them to get right whats there in front of them,i would have liked a Colas pair.

Sorry but can you edit the above so it makes sense ; ‘got the colour brake wrong’ !

• Funny 1