Hattons Dave

On 21/06/2020 at 17:05, jay*bobble said:

... like what Bachmann wos to produce.

... drawings where both the same.

... the way thay did.

... realy you gota  run.

... you wonder way Heljan made it.

... my friends locos and totally. Shocked not one

Please, take some time to proof read your posts. Any modern browser will tell you if you've made a mistake. If you're accessing on a phone, it should do that too!

It makes your posts fairly difficult to read.

And thanks @Hattons Dave for setting the record straight!

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 3
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Please, take some time to proof read your posts. Any modern browser will tell you if you've made a mistake. If you're accessing on a phone, it should do that too!

There's a number of contributors to this thread who should plead guilty to this - it's a shame, because it detracts from the (probably quite valid) points they're trying to make.  Whilst we can work out (with a bit of effort) what they're trying to say, we shouldn't have to make the effort.  Never-ending sentences appear to be another foible... 

These are models which we were all eagerly anticipating - some people are happy, some have used their skill and ingenuity to make themselves happy, and some are clearly disappointed - so it's good that everyone airs their opinion and experiences as long they try to be objective.   From a purely personal point of view I'm very happy with my two DC-only examples (66088 (EWS/DB) and 66593 (Freightliner)), but I won't deny having had to re-glue axle boxes, piping runs and a few other bits simply as a result of handling/use.  As has been previously mentioned, there may be a balance to be struck between fine detail and usability/robustness.  

Whilst not 100% perfect, I really think Hattons have significantly "raised the bar" with this model, and I'm sure that the lessons they have learnt will be taken on board for future projects.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

These are models which we were all eagerly anticipating - some people are happy, some have used their skill and ingenuity to make themselves happy, and some are clearly disappointed - so it's good that everyone airs their opinion and experiences as long they try to be objective.   From a purely personal point of view I'm very happy with my two DC-only examples (66088 (EWS/DB) and 66593 (Freightliner)), but I won't deny having had to re-glue axle boxes, piping runs and a few other bits simply as a result of handling/use.  As has been previously mentioned, there may be a balance to be struck between fine detail and usability/robustness.  

Whilst not 100% perfect, I really think Hattons have significantly "raised the bar" with this model, and I'm sure that the lessons they have learnt will be taken on board for future projects.  

I had to reattach two parts to my Kernow Bulleid 10203 the other day, Funny things is, I don't recall any such angst directed towards that model.

Yes, there have been  QA issues, Hattons seem to be taking the feedback on board.

As for the lighting error. Dave explained the issue, said there was nothing to be done for those models produced, and offered refunds. Yet it is still brought up over and over...

Some people just don't want to move on and let it go.

Roy

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Most models now have issues, but as I’ve said before it was the way this was marketed as being the best 66. And I think those who spent £150+ on a promised class leading model are allowed to criticise it. 

I have no problem with criticism, I just don’t need to hear the same people, say the same thing over and over... which is all this thread seems to have become. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Well played, sir. I was going to suggest that he type with his fingers rather than banging his head against the keyboard, but then thought better of it.

Your approach is far more diplomatic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

I think we can agree that whilst a good model, it is never going to be a great model because the QC was not good. (Something Hattons have put right now hopefully). Unfortunately speculation, supposition and fantasy played a big part in the building up of this model. I have one nice Hattons 66 which runs well, The axle boxes do fall out despite cussin' and a gluin' and I will probably end up gluing the things permanently. I have no intention of bying another unless Evening Star emerges. I am hoping the Dapol 59 will not befall the same issues as the Hattons one, and my Capt. Tom will almost certainly conclude my foray into modern traction, except I now have a class 89 on order (not completely modern) and am toying with the Class 92 , damn it Im hooked on these modern locos, good job I have pre ordered 18000 to maintain some semblance of normality.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

The latest release of Class 66s (H4-66-032 to H4-66-037 inclusive) have encountered an unavoidable delay. We’re currently taking action on this and the models will now be released during Late 2020. Once I have more info on the date I’ll share it here but the latest info is always on our website too:

Hattons Originals OO Gauge Class 66

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi all,

The latest release of Class 66s (H4-66-032 to H4-66-037 inclusive) have encountered an unavoidable delay. We’re currently taking action on this and the models will now be released during Late 2020. Once I have more info on the date I’ll share it here but the latest info is always on our website too:

Hattons Originals OO Gauge Class 66

Cheers,

Dave

I'd rather wait and have a fully functioning model than experience the issues encountered by others on the first batch.  There will however, be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I suspect!

Edited by Mooresby

I know it sounds odd but I aren't particularly bothered! Other than I am considering buying a DB one and was wanting to chuck it in the trunk to get it posted with the other 2 on pre order!

I have them on order because I don't want to miss out rather than being desperate for them on what is already a crowded layout!

21 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Cant see why this would upset anyone here - an excuse to generate pages of speculation just as the last lot was dismissed.

Because on Monday Hattons Dave said they were about to arrive imminently and now we are told they are delayed for up to 6 months. Surely he would have known on Monday whether this new batch was on its way from China or not. Really odd.

31 minutes ago, Mooresby said:

I'd rather wait and have a fully functioning model than experience the issues encountered by others on the first batch.  There will however, be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I suspect!

Absolutely no indication that this new delay has anything to do with fixing issues from the first batch so I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Edited by bart2day
  • Agree 3

At the risk of sounding optimistic about what the future may bring, can Hattons shed (sorry) any light on a potential Batch 3, and whether any of the previously discussed concerns may be corrected ? 

I'd be happy to take a risk on my third 66 in the form of an EWS example, but a) the EWS branding needs correcting, and b) it's just so much more economical to buy DCC sound fitted rather than retrofit. So I'm hoping Batch 3 may address this.

Be interested to know how many of the remaining DC only models are left, seeing as the DCC sound fitted sold out so quickly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Re the weird on/off message. Perhaps the container(s) that Hattons had been told had their 66s inside (hence the announcement of imminent arrival) could not be found when the ship actually docked this week at the UK entry port for unloading. I do not want to speculate beyond that.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

I must admit I very nearly ordered a sound biffa yesterday after Dave said they were imminent and I’d missed out on a sound large logo one last time and am happy with my non sound one

glad I didn’t now, chances are I’ll miss a sound one again by the time I decide to order another (if I do) but it’s not the end of the world, I may just put the biffa money toward a sound chip direct from leggoman to go in my 66789 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, big jim said:

I must admit I very nearly ordered a sound biffa yesterday after Dave said they were imminent and I’d missed out on a sound large logo one last time and am happy with my non sound one

glad I didn’t now, chances are I’ll miss a sound one again by the time I decide to order another (if I do) but it’s not the end of the world, I may just put the biffa money toward a sound chip direct from leggoman to go in my 66789 

Sound set up in Hattons 66 is a massive leap forwards in terms of quality. That said... its a complete b*£$Ard to fit afterwards.

5 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Sound set up in Hattons 66 is a massive leap forwards in terms of quality. That said... its a complete b*£$Ard to fit afterwards.

I have just fitted on, tight & fiddly re the wires.  No that bad I thought!!   

Charlie-dckits-Legomanbiffo

• Like 1

Perhaps Bachmann have (hopefully) got some previously unannounced regional rep limited editions lined up for release before the end of the year in the Cemex and ONE liveries, if not the Royal Scotsman ones as well...

I’m quite happy to continue giving Bachmann my money rather than risking it on one of Hattons versions until their QC has been properly addressed (by which time a bunch of new liveries will probably have appeared on the network anyway!)

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
  • Like 1

This does all seem very weird.

Based on the fact that it were due for release on Monday (anyone would give a few days lea-way), my best guess would be they have arrived, had QC checks on a sample (especially after the 1st batches problems), issues found and been quarantined until the factory and client come up with a solution.  

Other thought - ship with Covid on, having to wait for that to clear, but would not expect that to give a excessive delay over a few weeks.  Saying later in 2020 points towards the above as the most likely i my mind. 

On a positive - hopefully if it is the initial thought then the models will be better for it, when they are released.  Likewise, to reduce the delay further, hopefully they may air freighted in again.   

Unfortunate as my son wanted a "pink" one for his birthday in August!

Best Regards,

C.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am not saying it is the case here necessarily but as I understand it there have been cases where (for example) Bachmann have rejected a whole batch upon arrival and sent them back, one such I believe was the Farish A2. It does on rare occasions happen and would be a plausible explanation.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 19:24, rob D2 said:

It’s slightly odd the way it was frowned on in BR days so I’ve heard.....if you haven’t got an interest in what you work with everyday it’s not very motivating I’d say 

I hear that too, and I heard it 35 years ago when I started. I've never actually encountered it in the job though, or had it hold me back in anything I wanted to do. It has actually got me a couple of interesting jobs over the years. ("We need somebody stupid enough to walk from Skegness to Doncaster with a camera and a trundle wheel, any suggestions ? Oh yes, him !").

It might have been true in certain areas for very senior managers, especially after the late Ron Cotton interpreted his brief to close the S&C as "re-open all the stations and build traffic", but not for us plebs,

Over-enthusiasm will get you into bother, and over-enthusiasm coupled with a failure to recognise the limits of your own competence will get you into a lot of bother (or at least make people actively avoid you), but that's true of any niche enthusiasm. Morris dancing, witchcraft, wife-swapping or naturism, have all been openly promoted by various of my colleagues over the years, us 'enthusiast railwaymen' were regarded as mostly harmless compared to them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bart2day said:

Because on Monday Hattons Dave said they were about to arrive imminently and now we are told they are delayed for up to 6 months. Surely he would have known on Monday whether this new batch was on its way from China or not.

Not necessarily. They could have been slightly delayed and being air freighted for example? Could be an issue at factory, dropped container at dock, all sorts of things. What would be in it for somebody to say what Dave said on Monday to then go back on it today IF he had known..... It would have been today's news on Monday if he had known then surely?!

5 hours ago, Roy L S said:

Bachmann have rejected a whole batch upon arrival and sent them back

Whilst it's speculation on my part, I think the *Hornby* LNER 800 could have been one of those. Was postponed at the last minute last year, then the TPE 802 is mentioned in the 2020 catalogue but isn't in there suggests it may have had it's build slot taken.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 2