Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

54 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Has to be cheap is why we have lucky bag models as no one wants to pay good money.

I thought we were already paying good money!...we'll see if Accurascale can buck the trend of lucky bag models (as in locomotives) and I'm pretty confident they will.

Edited by classy52

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Has to be cheap is why we have lucky bag models as no one wants to pay good money.

I'd be interested to know more about the market differences between here and the EU. Is it that over here the size of the market is not large enough to sustain top dollar (or pound) models?

5 hours ago, classy52 said:

I thought we were already paying good money!...

Naturally, any customer's money is "good money", although it is interesting to observe that an HO scale ESU Class 66 with sound averages at €399,00 , which is around £365.00, (and that's with an RRP discount!)

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, YesTor said:

Naturally, any customer's money is "good money", although it is interesting to observe that an HO scale ESU Class 66 with sound averages at €399,00 , which is around £365.00, (and that's with an RRP discount!)

Ouch!...but is it around £100 better than the Hattons 66 with sound (putting the issues to one side)?

I've not seen the HO scale ESU 66 thus have no idea about the detail & finesse compared to the Hattons one.

24 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Ouch!...but is it around £100 better than the Hattons 66 with sound (putting the issues to one side)?

I've not seen the HO scale ESU 66 thus have no idea about the detail & finesse compared to the Hattons one.

I think it has a metal body, which would at least give the impression of quality and would help hauling capacity one would expect. I aren't sure how important a metal body would be TBH as I would expect that a metal body would add cost in two ways. 1. More expensive to make anyway in terms of material cost. 2. To get the same detail as plastic tooling would be considerably more expensive as it would need to be a lot harder I would expect and therefore higher machining and material costs, exacerbated by putting finer details in which adds to the time and variety of tools used.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think most of the metal bodies in the UK (steam locos) seem to lack detail vs plastic ones?

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I'd be interested to know more about the market differences between here and the EU. Is it that over here the size of the market is not large enough to sustain top dollar (or pound) models?

Basically, the blame lies with us generally tight-fisted Brits.

Whilst the US and Euro market moved on through the 70s/80s in quality and price, the UK market was unwilling to pay the price, hence we had loads of Lima pancake 37s etc.

Models built to a price, not built to a quality.

We've been catching up since the mid-90s.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I think it has a metal body, which would at least give the impression of quality and would help hauling capacity one would expect.

I doubt that a metal body would add much haulage capacity to a well-weighted chassis. Might add to durability though.

9 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I think it has a metal body, which would at least give the impression of quality and would help hauling capacity one would expect. I aren't sure how important a metal body would be TBH as I would expect that a metal body would add cost in two ways. 1. More expensive to make anyway in terms of material cost. 2. To get the same detail as plastic tooling would be considerably more expensive as it would need to be a lot harder I would expect and therefore higher machining and material costs, exacerbated by putting finer details in which adds to the time and variety of tools used.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think most of the metal bodies in the UK (steam locos) seem to lack detail vs plastic ones?

Just read the spec sheet and yes indeed it comes with a metal body, on the face of it a quite impressive looking model and would be quite interesting how it would stack up against the Hattons 66 which is really up there for detail.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, truffy said:

I doubt that a metal body would add much haulage capacity to a well-weighted chassis. Might add to durability though.

Bear in mind a HO loco would lose out to a OO in chassis weight. And the requirement for fresh air seems to be getting greater too with speakers (and smoke in the case of ESU)

Was just watching a Hornby magazine video of west coast cement from warley in 2018 and they had a sample of a colas rail either 66-029 or 66-030 running on it and strangely enough both the lower marker lights are on with the day headlight. The top marker light isn't working but the others seem to be. I also saw that these numbers were listed in the known issues for large headlight 66s. Just wondering if 29 and 30 were actually effected afterall seeing as it looks like both the marker lights were working together at one stage. Does anybody have these large headlight colas 66s? 

Regards Gary

1 hour ago, gary_lner said:

Was just watching a Hornby magazine video of west coast cement from warley in 2018 and they had a sample of a colas rail either 66-029 or 66-030 running on it and strangely enough both the lower marker lights are on with the day headlight. The top marker light isn't working but the others seem to be. I also saw that these numbers were listed in the known issues for large headlight 66s. Just wondering if 29 and 30 were actually effected afterall seeing as it looks like both the marker lights were working together at one stage. Does anybody have these large headlight colas 66s? 

Regards Gary

As they were samples they wouldn't have been fitted with the final version of the circuit board hence why things were different. Especially being over a year from release they would have been far from the final models.

• RMweb Gold
On 29/06/2020 at 09:01, adb968008 said:

Lima produced a OO gauge 66 in HGK livery, I think they produced another too in a red based livery.

59003 was modelled by Lima in an EU livery too.

On 29/06/2020 at 09:12, daz9284 said:

cheers guys, I was meaning if anyone did euro 66s such as Captrain, HGK etc in OO.

Are the Heljan 66s HO?

The post directly above yours answered your question...

The HGK 66 was commissioned by DOM Models of Austria in 2001 using the Lima UK tooling, and only because there was no HO gauge model in the market.

I have one of these somewhere.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The post directly above yours answered your question...

The HGK 66 was commissioned by DOM Models of Austria in 2001 using the Lima UK tooling, and only because there was no HO gauge model in the market.

I have one of these somewhere.

cheers, my comment was just quick typing, hence why mentioning HGK again. I don't think I've ever seen the Lima HGK 66. I've just googled it for images and found nothing.

Shame not a Captrain, Crossrail, HGK OO scale class 66 available now, especially since I've seen a couple in the UK when they came over for a bit for maintenance

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

cheers, my comment was just quick typing, hence why mentioning HGK again. I don't think I've ever seen the Lima HGK 66. I've just googled it for images and found nothing.

Shame not a Captrain, Crossrail, HGK OO scale class 66 available now, especially since I've seen a couple in the UK when they came over for a bit for maintenance

here’s an image on an auction site..

https://picclick.com/Lima-DOM-Models-GM-EMD-JT42CWR-Germany-Diesel-Locomotive-HGK-372612205274.html

There is another one besides this (if I get chance this weekend I’ll dig mine out and post a picture).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, truffy said:

I'm aware of that concept. Rarely seen it put into action though.

I have occasionally seen 4 or 5 locos running together.

45637 Windward Islands was on the same train as 46202 Princess Anne when they were destroyed at Harrow in 1952.