Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

I would pick you up on your assessment of livery application Danny. There was the Colas issue and the fact that no one from Hattons has acknowledged that 66623 is totally wrong, plus questionable yellow on the front of at least 66780. But I’m probably too picky. 

It will be interesting what news the Bachmann announcement next week brings. As mentioned before many rumours of an upgrade for their 66. I have no wish for the Hattons project to fail; the model looks and sounds great when it works. I would have hoped that they would have issued something about 66623 and offered replacement bodies in the correct colour; Dapol did with their 68s when they got the printing wrong. 

Sorry I meant livery application, thus not the specific shades of colour been correct or incorrect. But yes if we are talking about the colours been incorrect then their are certainly some questionable models. 

It's a shame about the orange been incorrect on 623. To my eyes it looks as though this shade may be more suited to 413, but for the 623 models that Hattons have produced it does appear too light. This was another one of those errors that was noticed and documented on this thread, so their were opportunities to amend the colour before the models were produced. It's unfortunate that not only have their been QC issues and errors in relation to what's happened at the factory, but also the lack of attention to the comments made on this thread would have prevented some of the said QC issues and errors on the finished models. 

Yes the replacement bodyshells for 623 would be a great idea. As we have seen before it is possible to do for the Dapol 68s (001, 002 & 005), and for the more recent Hornby 60015 and Network Rail Class 43 Power Cars. Hopefully Hattons will follow suit, so that those with a 623 don't have to repaint the model at their own expense or have to make do with a significant error. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

That's a shame, hopefully you will have better luck this time round and receive some better models. 

Keep us updated and let us know what happens with these two. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Well it would seem I have done a bit better on the circuit board lottery.

Both 587 and 780 have fully working headlights of all varieties. 587 only one cab light works and 780 neither work, but I haven't researched as to why that might be so could be a decoder or something silly.

These were probably the worst two cosmetically other than my first 780 which went back on cosmetic grounds. Glue around axle box covers but not that bad. Bit falling off which I have had to glue back on. One set of cab handrails/ladders are missing from 780 which I will ask Hattons about.

Other than the cab lights (which I won't be sending back for, I have had enough now) I need to sort the light bleed on both. So unfortunately I need to take them to bits again when I had thought having being the 4th and 5th of these to bits this week I was done!

I presume for the light bleed this is a marker pen on the inside of the cab where appropriate? On the lower lights do I do the tunnel too or just the inner can end?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Well it would seem I have done a bit better on the circuit board lottery.

Both 587 and 780 have fully working headlights of all varieties. 587 only one cab light works and 780 neither work, but I haven't researched as to why that might be so could be a decoder or something silly.

These were probably the worst two cosmetically other than my first 780 which went back on cosmetic grounds. Glue around axle box covers but not that bad. Bit falling off which I have had to glue back on. One set of cab handrails/ladders are missing from 780 which I will ask Hattons about.

Other than the cab lights (which I won't be sending back for, I have had enough now) I need to sort the light bleed on both. So unfortunately I need to take them to bits again when I had thought having being the 4th and 5th of these to bits this week I was done!

I presume for the light bleed this is a marker pen on the inside of the cab where appropriate? On the lower lights do I do the tunnel too or just the inner can end?

I'm glad that these two models seem to be a bit better than the previous ones. 

It is a shame about the lighting issues which seem to be more commonly reported now too. For me this just compounds what originally was an issue regarding some of the 66s, where particular lighting functions would not work. So to now think that even the other 66s aren't safe from having lighting issues is a worry and it's another thing that has put me off of the Hattons 66. 

For me personally, I will stick with Bachmann. I would rather have a loco with less detailing and less lighting features but that doesn't suffer from any QC issues meaning that I have to mess around either remedying issues myself or returning them until I find a good one. Overall, this is what lets the Hattons 66 down, it's the fact that the model is described as ready to run, but yet for many people who have bought them they appear anything but that. For me this is the defining and deterring factor as to why I won't buy them until these issues are corrected, and if they aren't corrected on any further batches I will continue buying Bachmann 66s. 

Sorry, unfortunately I have no idea regarding lighting bleeds. I have never had to remedy this sort of issue, so I am unable to help or advise you, although I am sure someone else more in the know in this area will. 

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Agree 4

Just taken delivery of my fourth 66, this time the fabulous Pink ONE.

A bit wobbly on test but, as with my other ones, removed revolving axle ends, re-drilled aperture to 3mm and then used Dremel tool to lightly extend opening to an oval toward roof.  Cleaned up revolving axle ends and ensure hole was cleaned up with a drill and re-attached to axle ends.

Loco runs beautifully now and just the chassis to weather so it brings out all those superb details.

It would take more work on a Bachmann model to get it to the Hattons standard and it still would not have the haulage capacity.

Very please with my locos which are DB 66088, Freightliner 66593, GBRf Large Logo and 66587 ONE.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

But this is my point. You have had to take a Dremmel to a brand new “ready to run” loco just to get it to run properly. Not everyone has the time/skill/knowledge to do this on a loco that costs £150. I’ve never had to resort to this sort of work to get any Bachmann/Hornby/Dapol/Vitrains loco to run properly. 

Cheers

A point that has been made over and over* and gets quite tedious.

We all know where we are with this, many of us disappointed, but do we have to keep saying the same thing?

* by several posters.

Roy

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

If you thing things are bad with this just wait until the new retooled Bacmann one comes with rotating axle box ends and radial steer bogies,go beck ten years and look at what your model locos consisted of and look again at your 66 from Hattons,no Brit loco has the axle end bearing assembly that the GM stuff has,watch a 59 and compare what they have achived in the 30 years they have been here,we just want the model sheds to have 99% availability for the layout.

Ive seen it mentioned a few times before in the thread but where have the rumours about a new Bachmann retooled 66 come from? 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Quite correct Roy and i agree,it amuses me that some dont read some of the thread as sending back a loco for a wobble which is known to be non centred axle caps and saying im buying a Bachmann one is daft,just remove the caps and cut the backs off,glue them back on the bogie and you the same as the Bachmann with way more looks,potential and pull,if Bachmann retool what do you gain over this??

You make me laugh , “ just cut them off glue them back “,

nothing to see here...move on.....

Eddie’S got valid points and the reason they keep being brought out , is because , we keep getting ( just as tediously , if you like ) “it’s a great loco - you just need an angle grinder, industrial adhesive and the patience of a saint” to compensate for the woeful engineering and QC.

And where is the BS coming from about Bachmann redesign ? Why the hell would you ? “ Right boys hattons have made a pigs ear of this , let’s quickly redesign our ( proven ) design so maybe we will cock it up as well “...

Nah, they’ll stick their 2005 issue mid range model out at £110-125 and do quite well I guess 

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Huawei intercepted the transmissions

Yes the ChiComs pitting Hattons & Bachmann against each other with an intercepted transmission from Bachmann HQ, utilizing 5G of course, with their designs for the ultimate Class 66 and the reward and offer of unfettered access to their best factory in China to produce it!...get ready to Rail Rumble!!! :superman::yahoo:

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Fair enough, I’ll leave it be now. 

No, go for it Eddie. I truly agree with the people who demand a £150 model to work perfectly from the box, however there are also those of us who quite enjoy a bit of a fiddle with something that's not quite right and get a great deal of enjoyment from fixing them. So don't cast us out chaps please! 

Currently, I'm on a boat in Hebden Bridge off which the propeller has fallen this afternoon: how I wish that fixing that was as easy as sorting out a Hatton's 66 wobble! Hey-ho!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Edna Clouds said:

I'm on a boat in Hebden Bridge off which the propeller has fallen this afternoon: how I wish that fixing that was as easy as sorting out a Hatton's 66 wobble! Hey-ho!

Just glue it back on. ;)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Edna Clouds said:

No, go for it Eddie. I truly agree with the people who demand a £150 model to work perfectly from the box, however there are also those of us who quite enjoy a bit of a fiddle with something that's not quite right and get a great deal of enjoyment from fixing them.

I think both points of view are very valid TBH. For example I am willing to do a bit of gluing, electrical diagnostic work etc but to get a Bachmann with the lighting functions or detail of one of these I'd have to do a whole lot more messing about. On the other hand it is still frustrating that it is necessary.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

This argument is getting quite boring. The principal is the same as this:

You buy a resin building, you decide it needs a little something to make it look a bit more realistic and different to the other 27 you have on your layout, so you take to it with paints, powders, interior details. Before you are finished you have done far more work to it than simply enlarging a hole on a bogie side. 

And before anyone argues about the price difference, I am not talking about the cost. I am talking about the principals involved. Modify a building, modify a loco, modify a coach. Same thing. We are modellers after all! Not box openers. Can we put this to rest now? The slight issues with these models have been well documented. If you don’t feel comfortable dealing with the small modifications needed, don’t buy the model. Simple really. 

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

This argument is getting quite boring. The principal is the same as this:

You buy a resin building, you decide it needs a little something to make it look a bit more realistic and different to the other 27 you have on your layout, so you take to it with paints, powders, interior details. Before you are finished you have done far more work to it than simply enlarging a hole on a bogie side. 

And before anyone argues about the price difference, I am not talking about the cost. I am talking about the principals involved. Modify a building, modify a loco, modify a coach. Same thing. We are modellers after all! Not box openers. Can we put this to rest now? The slight issues with these models have been well documented. If you don’t feel comfortable dealing with the small modifications needed, don’t buy the model. Simple 

Principle isn’t the same at all.

Modifying is taking something that actually works and adding value to it......not fixing poor design , manufacturing and QC.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

I think it’s a valid argument, although slightly naive. You have to realise a lot of people do not have the guts, skills or tools to simply mod a £150 loco. Many of us do not have these skills, if I’m paying a higher price for the ‘definitive’ 66, I hope it works, out of the box and it should. If I’m going to tinker, I’d probably just buy a Hornby one and work on that, not the one that was promised as the best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

We are modellers after all! Not box openers.

Who says? Whilst I am happy enough to do a bit of tweaking to make things right (even if I aren't happy about it) I don't think it's right to suggest that anybody who is interested in these models *should* be willing to.

I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting to be able to open the box and it all works fine.

• Like 2
  • Agree 13