Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, newbryford said:

One thing in favour of the MM loco is that it's only a 2-axle bogie.

It does not need extra sideplay in the axles when compared to a 3-axle unit

Plus, looks to me like the axlebox covers on the 121 sit just outboard of the bogie sideframes, whereas the 66 ones are intended, at least, to sit in a recess in the outer side of the bogie sideframe, judging by this earlier photo from 'NewSiding'. Which makes life significantly more difficult, combined with the fact that the 66 bogie sideframes have separate upper and lower halves, adding extra manufacturing tolerances into the mix.

image.png.9f617c5a85c45b9d53530123f9e463fe.png

Edited by spamcan61
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Are the AB covers flush fitting on the other side as well?

What about side-to-side movement for negotiating curves?

Al.

You don’t need side-to-side movement on a two-axle bogie. 

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

For anyone interested, there's quite a few 'interesting projects' on the parent site for sale.

Anyone who knows the history or something about modelling will have a nice locomotive.

Al.

any need to be so cryptic? 

edit: 

i assume you mean the 66s in the 2nd hand section at hattons......

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/preowned.aspx

Edited by big jim
  • Agree 3

On 28/09/2020 at 17:07, Roy Langridge said:

I am not colour blind, but I do see slightly different colours one eye to the other. Something to do with cones and rods if I recall right. 

Roy

And to make this more fun, colour-blind to what standard / definition.

One test could say you are, while another will say you're not and another still can say you are (most people will be) and tell you how bad.

On 04/10/2020 at 14:28, Roy Langridge said:

Most selfish post of the year so far award goes to...

Not everybody has that level of ability, for you to suggest that they should not have electric trains beggars belief. And, yes, I could fix mine now, but quite probably not in a while.

Roy

Indeed!

I'm okay with wires, power, DCC fitting and such but when it comes to fiddling about with locos much more than adding DCC, I'm completely cack-handed and will mess up the even simplest of tasks.  Many of my DCC additions didn't go to plan.

Reminds me of the people who say that if someone isn't willing to model something, they shouldn't be into model railways.  WTF?!  You can have a pretty decent model railway with all pre-built things.  That's like saying unless you build houses, you shouldn't be into buying them or doing any sort of DIY whatsoever.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 25/08/2020 at 16:50, Chris56057 said:

My 66 has been generally okay so far - slight body wobble but I can live with that on an end to end layout. I definitely think it has been the noisey minority that have flagged up (in some cases, important issues), but this has detracted from the fact that this is a superior model to the Bachmann offering and that with a little more consistency on models coming through the production line will probably make the ultimate 66. Just my opinion! 

Don't underestimate the silent majority who probably don't generally post about their problems with models on here (unless they don't get an acceptable resolution from the retailer/manufacturer). I haven't posted about all the problems I had with mine (until now) because a) it didn't add anything new to what others had already said and b) I was still in the process of getting acceptable replacements from Hattons.

I pre-ordered five of these - I would never normally pre-order so many of a new model but all other 'Hattons Originals' models I have had have been pretty much faultless - however, six months after the original delivery I now only have one. 

All of the original models suffered badly from the 'wobble', some had small parts missing completely,  or loose in the box or damaged, some had sound/speaker faults, a couple of them hadn't even been assembled properly (body not fitted - I was assured these weren't customer returns but it seemed to me like they were and that a previous 'owner' had investigated the sound issues and not fitted the body back properly, damaging the cab steps in the process). On first test run around the track assorted other parts fell off including some of the axle covers.

All were returned and all but one (which was replaced, I wasn't told why) were 'repaired'. However, the repair only consisted of gluing back on the bits that had fallen off and hadn't addressed the much more fundamental sound issues or the wobble - one of the worst 'wobblers' was so bad it couldn't negotiate a third radius setrack curve without derailing! On a flat surface it would rock about 5-10mm (at the roof) side to side.

So to cut a longer story a little bit shorter I now just have the one that was replaced, which is still by no means perfect, with a couple of parts loose that I have refitted myself and a very noisy transmission in 'reverse', but for the others I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of further returns, which may or may not have been previously returned by other customers, and seemingly wouldn't be checked before being sent out. To their credit, Hattons have been very quick with their responses and refunds but if only they hadn't been so quick with their supposed repairs! Throughout they also seemed confident that there would be replacements available for sound models, even though these weren't available on the website.

So yes, this could be a far superior model to the other options but I like my models to run properly (and sound good, where fitted) as well as being nice to look at and I also don't want to be afraid to handle them for fear of losing various bit each time! I already have a few Bachmann examples but since the disappointment with the Hattons one I have actually taken a punt with a couple of the recent releases by Hornby (the ex Lima model). Yes I know these models are poles apart but with a bit of detailing and modelling by the time they are weathered and running around the track you'd struggle to tell the difference! For the money, I have actually been more impressed with the basic Hornby offerings than I was with the Hattons version - probably because I had set my expectations that much lower.

Maybe at some point in the future I'd consider a 'Mk2' version of the Hattons 66 but only if I could be sure that all the problems with the first batch had been addressed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Please bear with me; the relevance of my recent experience will become evident. The Hatton’s Wainwright Ps in ROD green slipped under my radar. When I saw that Rails of Sheffield was offering them with free postage, I ordered one. On opening the box, I found that the soft plastic sheet was folded under the clamshell instead of wrapped round the model. That hinted strongly that it was a return, so I examined it carefully. It looked perfect. However, when I put it on the track, it was a dreadful runner, quite unlike the four Ps I already have. Rails assured me that the stock was all supposed to be new but promised to test a replacement before sending it out. The replacement is faultless. 

The conclusion I take from this is either that Hatton’s puts returns back into stock or, more charitably, has no reliable procedure for ensuring that faulty models are removed from circulation.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Just received one of the 2nd hand ones from the hattons site, described as a wobbly runner and it really is but at £105 I don’t mind ripping out the axle covers cutting them down and glueing back on to stop the wobble. It’s one of the large logo ones so saves me buying one of the Bachmann ones and cheaper too!

• Agree 3

Appreciate people have had issues, but I've got two now (DRS Blue sound and Cemex DCC Ready) and both are more than fine.  Ok, had a axle box drop from the former, but resolved easily enough. Both have been run in for 30mins each way and all is good. 

I have either been exceptionally lucky or maybe there are some good ones in the pile of stock that they have.  But thought I'd feed back some positive thoughts. 

Just having fun with the zen six function decoder and lights on the Cemex 66 mind... not quite plug and play... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Did anyone watch the live stream today? I missed it. Was wondering if there were any difficult questions

I watched it as well and all Hatton’s Dave spoke about was a very brief Class 66 history and liveries.  I was very disappointed that no problems were addressed even though it said they would be.  Dave seemed to be reading a script and when a question appeared, he dodged it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

There are currently 11 pre owned Hattons 66 on Hattons website, many described as " with glue marks"

I find it interesting that they're only showing one of each faulty loco - given the number of people on here who appear to have sent theirs back then i'm guessing that's purely a marketing strategy.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, rob D2 said:

“ There are no faults with the 66...”

97419718-2237-4761-92D1-8ABA56DCA3EF.jpeg

IT IS THE MOST PERFECT CLASS 66. THEY SAY NO ONE HAS EVER MADE A MORE PERFECT CLASS 66 BEFORE.

gettyimages-632318880.jpg.e1e50295af31cdccbcb4e841608516bc.jpg

AND QUITE FRANKLY I THINK NO ONE WILL EVER MAKE SUCH A PERFECT CLASS 66

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Funny 12

Well I've just bought one from the Hattons pre owned list for £100. Needs some axle boxes re-glued and that's it. Absolute bargain for a cracking model. Sound fitting next.

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ayrmrg said:

Well I've just bought one from the Hattons pre owned list for £100. Needs some axle boxes re-glued and that's it. Absolute bargain for a cracking model. Sound fitting next.

Stephen

I will have to keep a look out for 097 on there cheap, a DB red one will be good for me but I don't want to spend £150 on one. I'd spend £100 on a dodgy ish Hattons one to mess about with rather than £120+ on a Bachmann too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well wouldn't you know it, just purchased my first ever Hattons Class 66 being a pre-owned 66780 GBRf/Cemex livery "The Cemex Express" for a princely sum of just £100, DCC Ready and advertised with just a slight wobble.

Now that's what I call a bargain!...I'll worry about sound fitment sometime in the future and just may sniff around the pre-owned section from now on for a bargain 66 as long as they don't get advertised with glue marks.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Well wouldn't you know it, just purchased my first ever Hattons Class 66 being a pre-owned 66780 GBRf/Cemex livery "The Cemex Express"...for a princely sum of just £100, DCC Ready and advertised with just a slight wobble.

Now that's what I call a bargain!...I'll worry about sound fitment sometime in the future and just may sniff around the pre-owned section from now on for a bargain 66 as long as they don't get advertised with glue marks.

Let us know how it is when you get it please.