Hattons Dave

Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Perhaps this is an appropriate juncture to point out, that prior to Hattons announcing the Class 66, the RRP of the Bachmann version was c£169 and the Hornby (R3573) was £100.99.

Both companies have since reduced the price of new class 66’s as we’ve seen..£74.99 and £149.

And you can buy Bachmann 66s for £70 now...

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/locomotive-diesel-electric/Bachmann-32-738-class-66-66711-sence-gbrf-aggregates/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Both companies have since reduced the price of new class 66’s as we’ve seen..£74.99 and £149.

I'd be interested to know how many Bachmann 66s have sold recently at near RRP/little discount. I haven't looked the side they are on. Mostly because the only one I particularly want is the rainbow one (66720) and it's £150+ second hand.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Perhaps this is an appropriate juncture to point out, that prior to Hattons announcing the Class 66, the RRP of the Bachmann version was c£169 and the Hornby (R3573) was £100.99.

Indeed, just this evening I've seen Bachmann 66s discounted to as low as £69.99 brand new.  I think that's the lowest price I've seen them priced at in around a decade.

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, newbryford said:

That's an anomaly though most are over £100 still. For some reason that loco has struggled it would seem. Rails and s few others gave been trying to shift them at £90 etc for a while now. One would think with it being a celeb that it would do well although if I am honest I don't particularly like the livery.

I made the decision earlier today when playing trains I don't need any more 66s other than maybe a DB one, GBRF a no at least (6 GBRF and 1 FL is my tally), otherwise normally at £70 it would be hard to resist and if it was a plain DB red one it would be bought.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That's an anomaly though most are over £100 still. For some reason that loco has struggled it would seem. Rails and s few others gave been trying to shift them at £90 etc for a while now. One would think with it being a celeb that it would do well although if I am honest I don't particularly like the livery.

I made the decision earlier today when playing trains I don't need any more 66s other than maybe a DB one, GBRF a no at least (6 GBRF and 1 FL is my tally), otherwise normally at £70 it would be hard to resist and if it was a plain DB red one it would be bought.

Ok - we'll go up to £75 for a DB branded ex-EWS one...

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/locomotive-diesel-electric/Bachmann-32-737-class-66-66065-ex-ews-dbs-branding-weathered/

At those sort of prices, repainting/renumbering becomes a good option (for those that feel up to it)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, newbryford said:

Hahahaha yes I saw that too. Very good value. Not ideal for me as I would like pristine and I'd prefer red TBH but at that price beggars can't be choosers springs to mind.

• Like 1

Weirdly enough, have Bachmann made the opposite mistake with their forthcoming 66413? The orange looks quite dark, or is the real thing going to be repainted?

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Weirdly enough, have Bachmann made the opposite mistake with their forthcoming 66413? The orange looks quite dark, or is the real thing going to be repainted?

I don't mean to go off topic but I will for the sake of confirming that Bachmann are now producing 419 in the darker G&W Orange colour scheme, and not 413 as originally planned. This change in decision over the colour and running number were made a few months ago and I believe the Bachmann website has also been updated to reflect this change. 

Hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Bachmann website has also been updated to reflect this change. 

Thanks I was looking at retailers.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/07/2020 at 18:52, chris37422 said:

Received my Biffa and ‘One’ liveried sheds today.

Dont think I’ve felt so scared when opening model railway boxes before..

Nameplates were wonky on both, and one of the front handrails is floating as per my other two. A loose pipe in the box of the ‘One’ loco, not sure where off but I’ll figure out when I can be bothered.

Yet to run either, but the bogies on the Biffa one have a lot of glue marks and one of the axle boxes is caked in the stuff.

Livery application on both is generally good to my eyes. Being a bit critical I’d say the ‘Zero Injuries’ branding on 66587 isnt the best.

To summarise, as per my last two, I’d say the model is definitely an upgrade on the Bachmann offering but let down by some pee poor QC. Will be ordering the Cemex next and would have had the orange FL but for it being the wrong shade, cant understand that one.

Off to test.... Happy Modelling! 

EDIT: Upon closer inspection one of the buffers was missing from 66587. Will use the spare provided.

Finally got round to testing.... both going back :-(

Contacted Hattons who were helpful and going back with Collect+. Initially for replacements,  but not 100% sure what to do now. Really want the ‘One’ loco so will probably replace that.

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, YesTor said:

Whilst on the subject of bogies, has anyone dismantled the bogie assembly on any of these?  I'm looking at mine and there appears to be six clips holding the baseplate in place over the axles, or maybe it's one solid piece with just two clips...  fairly difficult to tell (without breaking it)...  <_<

Al 

look back in the tread,i put pictures of the gear towers stripped out as i have had longer axles made and redesigned the ends to keep the rotating axle detail .

IMG_0296[1].JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

look back in the tread,i put pictures of the gear towers stripped out as i have had longer axles made and redesigned the ends to keep the rotating axle detail .

Ahh, that's interesting.  So, am I correct in thinking that those metal sleeves fit over the new axle end and then the shortened plastic cover simply pushes into the end?

cheers

Al

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, YesTor said:

Ahh, that's interesting.  So, am I correct in thinking that those metal sleeves fit over the new axle end and then the shortened plastic cover simply pushes into the end?

cheers

Al

You get the idea,i will post once i have it finnished as i have only just got parts and will check assembly and post who made them once im happy.

The plastic spacer is to stop dead shorting the wheel assembly through the axle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Thanks I was looking at retailers.

You're welcome mate. Just thought that I would confirm the change in case you or anyone else wanted to opt for the Bachmann 419 over the Hattons 623. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

You're welcome mate. Just thought that I would confirm the change in case you or anyone else wanted to opt for the Bachmann 419 over the Hattons 623. 

I'll probably get the Bachmann one.

1. I don't want one enough to spend £150 on it

2. It will probably be the right colour.

3. I probably won't have to send it back 2 times and still end up with stuff not working (but I couldn't be bothered rolling the dice again with the main issues solved)

4. I can't be bothered going through the process of chipping a Hattons one again, at least in the short term.

I am willing to do this for a "definitive" model of a loco I particularly want, but in this case (unusually for model rail) I am wanting a loco to go with some wagons, not the other way round.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

3. I probably won't have to send it back 2 times and still end up with stuff not working (but I couldn't be bothered rolling the dice again with the main issues solved)

4. I can't be bothered going through the process of chipping a Hattons one again, at least in the short term.

Would tend to agree with you. I’m settling on a refund for my 2 and will order the Bachmann ‘Biffa’ (as well as the FL)

Maybe it’s a case of retailers stick to retailing and manufacturers stick to manufacturing? But then again, Kernow (for example) seem to manage decent QC on their projects.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, chris37422 said:

Maybe it’s a case of retailers stick to retailing and manufacturers stick to manufacturing? But then again, Kernow (for example) seem to manage decent QC on their projects.

Oh, I don’t know. Hatton’s produced the Ps and Barclays. Lovely little models which run well. Naming no names but manufacturers seem just as able to foul things up every now and again.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Oh, I don’t know. Hatton’s produced the Ps and Barclays. Lovely little models which run well. Naming no names but manufacturers seem just as able to foul things up every now and again.

Each to their own of course :-)

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I am willing to do this for a "definitive" model of a loco I particularly want, but in this case (unusually for model rail) I am wanting a loco to go with some wagons, not the other way round.

I'm with you, I will probably buy the Bachmann 419 too, and that way I can keep the Bardon blue 623 I have. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, chris37422 said:

Maybe it’s a case of retailers stick to retailing and manufacturers stick to manufacturing?

Not sure I agree - Hattons have released some great models - the ZZA snowplough for one is outstanding, and the FEA-E flats are superb as well.  And as you say, Kernow have issued more than their fair share of exclusive items, again many of them being very fine indeed.  Locomotives are definitely in a different league though, with there being so many more things to get right - or indeed wrong! 

Still, competition is healthy and ultimately good for us modellers, after all when do you figure Bachmann might have gotten around to dragging their 66 up to new standards?   :rolleyes:    In fairness, all manufacturers release more than their share of blunders - Hornby, Heljan, Dapol, Bachmann, all of them.  It could be argued that the only thing that any of the main manufacturers need to do, by definition, is "manufacture" - in which case they should be getting it spot-on all of the time, because that's all they do, right?  It's a fact of life however, that no manufacturer, retailer/manufacturer cottage industry manufacturer etc etc, is going to get everything right all of the time, sadly.

Al 

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

You get the idea,i will post once i have it finnished as i have only just got parts and will check assembly and post who made them once im happy.

The plastic spacer is to stop dead shorting the wheel assembly through the axle.

Looks very promising indeed and very much look forward to seeing the results of your labours.  :)

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, YesTor said:

Not sure I agree - Hattons have released some great models - the ZZA snowplough for one is outstanding, and the FEA-E flats are superb as well.  And as you say, Kernow have issued more than their fair share of exclusive items, again many of them being very fine indeed.  Locomotives are definitely in a different league though, with there being so many more things to get right - or indeed wrong! 

Still, competition is healthy and ultimately good for us modellers, after all when do you figure Bachmann might have gotten around to dragging their 66 up to new standards?   :rolleyes:    In fairness, all manufacturers release more than their share of blunders - Hornby, Heljan, Dapol, Bachmann, all of them.  It could be argued that the only thing that any of the main manufacturers need to do, by definition, is "manufacture" - in which case they should be getting it spot-on all of the time, because that's all they do, right?  It's a fact of life however, that no manufacturer, retailer/manufacturer cottage industry manufacturer etc etc, is going to get everything right all of the time, sadly.

Al 

Quite agree

The amount of money and time I have had to spend on my Hornby Sliding Door Mk3a coaches totally eclipses the work I had to do on my superb Hattons class 66 locos

john

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I will firstly admit to not being in the market for a 00 model of a 66 from any manufacturer, but as someone who has a strong interest in British outline model railways regardless of scale I have followed this thread from the beginning with huge interest. My perspective as someone with no "skin in the game" so to speak is that when this product was announced Hattons certainly had established a track record in manufacturing of their own (i.e. not using outside designers like DJM) and had released some very well received products. 

They then announced what was intended to be a "flagship" product in terms of detail, features and operation - the 66. This model was to be a step up from existing models and as a result expectations have been high. Sadly it appears that the reality has not lived up to expectations for a significant number of people and the quality hasn't always been what one would expect for such a pivotal model in anyone's range. This appears to be down to poor assembly and some inadequacies in design around the rotating axle-boxes. There did seem to be an opportunity to pause and look again at design in this area for the second batch, but instead it appears that it was decided to glue the axle-boxes on which hasn't proved universally successful. In a very recent post a very elegant design solution has been shown which on the face of it would have added little to the design/production costs, but I guess we will never know the reasons (cost?) why something similar was not entertained.

So, my conclusion is that in announcing the "ultimate" model with great fanfare you need to make very sure that the model lives up fully to the hype in all respects and test, test, test to make sure all is good. It is not for me to say what didn't go quite right and for sure the model looks superb in terms of detail and features, but one thing I do know is that: -

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression"...

Even if the bugs do get ironed out in subsequent batches, I suspect the model will never quite have the status of the "ultimate" 66 and the fact that some are talking about reverting to the less technically advanced Bachmann 66 illustrates the issue.

I do of course accept that as with any model there will be a silent majority who are happily running this model, but 155 pages on the subject shows to me that (1) the 66 is a hugely popular model and (2) that a significant number of people appear to have issues, not always just with one model but very often with several. 

I really hope, for the sake of the N Gauge Garratt I have on order (if it happens) that Hattons have learned from the design and QC issues reported on the 66 for the future, as the Garratt model will be as complex and technically challenging in different ways (and would be for any manufacturer). 

What must be ensured is a model that comes out of the box with an expectation that all will be good, i.e. that it is Ready to Run rather than Ready to Repair or Ready to Return....

Roy

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

10 hours ago, YesTor said:

Al 

Agree with many of the points you make Al :-)

I suppose the issue with the 66 as an example, the pressure of delivering or near enough delivering ‘The Ultimate 66’ came at a price - damaging the relationship with one of their largest suppliers. This has been discussed time and time again so I wont go there but that was the thinking behind my ‘Manufacturer’s stick to Manufacturing and Retailers stick to Retailing’ comment. 

I don't want that to come across in the wrong way though, as you say there have been some cracking projects come through from all of these guys bold enough to put their hands in their pockets. We’ve seen many models for which we probably never thought we would and I for one am grateful.

Back to the 66 - I own 2 from the first batch and have no real issues with them. The model looks fantastic, and as I’ve said pages and pages earlier in this thread, it’s light years ahead of the Barwell offering. The detail is quite stunning in places and the different variations catered for is unprecedented in my view. That’s where my frustrations lie on a personal level, if you get a near perfect one then you probably do have the ultimate model.

I’m still really attached to the ‘One’ livery one so may not be so hasty to not replace afterall....

Best Wishes,

Chris

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Looking at Bachmann prices on Rails for new or forthcoming releases (ie not those discounted a little to clear)

Class 90: £150

Class 47: £150

Class 40: £160

Class 55: £150

Class 45: £135/£145

Class 37: £125

Class 66: £125

Is it a false assumption that the 37 & 66 are a little cheaper because competition is available or will be very soon?

If the Hattons 66 was not available, I would expect Bachmann's 66 to be £150 right now.

• Agree 2