Hattons Dave

Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

@ERIC ALLTORQUE  Perfect solution. That's the way they should have been manufactured in the first place.

PS how much do you charge per loco? ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 25/08/2020 at 16:46, AY Mod said:

As you would expect really. None of us outside the discussions know enough to make judgment calls (Rumsfeld's unknown unknowns) so I will ask that we don't go into speculation, supposition or assumption of that topic. Back to 66s please.

You mean known unknowns. We know Hattons don't stock Bachmann but the reason is unknown.

Edited by maico
  • Agree 3

That’s a good solution Eric.

I can’t be arsed with all the fiddling so am adressing one of the bachy 66 main failings by adapting the air dam to take a TL coupling through it .

the other thing that is glaring is the light set up

Edited by rob D2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Well spent the day assembling one bogie with the longer axles,sleeves and cut down details i have had made,its running on rollers and is flawless.

Tried to upload a little vid off my i phone but will not play ball but after three hours running not a flicker and with the old axlebox design the just about jump off the rollers.

This will run the life of the model now,so pleased,a few mods to make them a little easier and i will attack the sound fitted celebs,so pleased with how they can be made run.

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

Oh I say, isn't that just the job! Well done ... a day in the shed with the lathe tomorrow, I think.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 07/09/2020 at 05:52, SouthernMafia said:

Just to clarify, I don't believe there are any external differences between a bug eyed 66/5 and 66/6, unless someone can tell me otherwise?

Generally no differences, something that applies to both the 66/5s and 66/6s are variations in the depth of the yellow around the buffers depending on batch and the rain strip over the door is larger on the very last few '4 door' locos (same as on the low emission locos), but this is very subtle and not something Hattons have tooled for.

Jo

• Thanks 1

I have an EWS 66005 that I pre-ordered and it duly arrived "ok" - a few loose axle box ends, one loose handrail and a couple of small glue marks. Nothing that I could not fix / live with.

I had, however, been at a loss as to whether I bit-the-bullet and order another one, which I did after much thought and it has just arrived. This one is a plain DRS 66429.

What can I report? No glue marks, grills perfectly applied, the couple loose from the detailed end and one loose axle box end. All of that is ok.

But, now the problem, two of the axle box ends have been refitted with so much glue that they are stuck to both the axle and bogie frame. This means those two axles are hard over to one side and, yep, the wheels are not in line! I can't even get it to sit on the rolling road to test run (and I assume those two axles won't want to rotate anyway).

I know other people have had axle box ends stuck to bogie side frames. How have you removed them? Did you just use brute force or did you manage to soften the glue somehow? Any advice much appreciated.

Edit: I have now managed to remove the stuck able box ends. There was enough play in the bogie side frames to be able to squeeze them inwards and break the glue joint. One was stuck on one side only, the other on both sides and was much harder to get them off. Now for the rolling road before opening the holes up slightly and refitting the ends.

Edit 2: now sat on the rolling road. Shed (no pun intended) another couple of axle box ends (so it now only has 6 out of 12). Has a very slight wobble, but to be honest I find that on my rolling road anyway. Generally very happy with this one and will order sound + EM2 for it shortly.

My 66 also came with a free long blonde hair wrapped round the fuel tank. Not sure which I will get in more trouble with the wife for, another loco or the hair ;)

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Update on progress x 2
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

On 07/09/2020 at 22:00, Edna Clouds said:

Oh I say, isn't that just the job! Well done ... a day in the shed with the lathe tomorrow, I think.

You could market this mod.....

It would appear that quite a few of the sound fitted models have come back into stock if ayone who missed the first batch is wanting one,must have got more delivered.........

• Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

It would appear that quite a few of the sound fitted models have come back into stock if ayone who missed the first batch is wanting one,must have got more delivered.........

Possibly returns or Hattons have started to retro-fit their DCC Ready versions with DCC Sound considering the sound versions were all sold out on pre-order or soon after a quite a while back now.

There are more than 10 of the GBRf LL 66789's and quite a few Biffa's which is very surprising, plus a good DCC Sound selection of the others especially the DB/EWS variants.

I'm quite tempted but not confident in regards to the QC and especially those AB's & wobbles...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, classy52 said:

I'm quite tempted but not confident in regards to the QC and especially those AB's & wobbles...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The axle box detail is the wobble,remove them and the model runs perfect,i doubt its on the cards they redesign it if at all but with modification its possible to have the rotating detail made to work,the model is way better detailed and the sound models are great.

When they were first announced i rang Hattons asking about if i bought no sound DCC ones could they retrofit them and was advised to get them factory sound fitted to negate stripping them to do it,considering ive had one totally stripped to reaxle and will do all i buy,seven so far i wish i had just bought DCC and got them running right and spent the money with Legobiffo as its there work in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ran My Freightliner 66957 for 1.5 hours today with various loads, no problems whatsoever, all AB cover in place. I used the superglue on the end method which seem to have worked very well. The only other thing I did was smear the AB covers with some graphite lubricant (the dry stuff that Kadee do) and this appears to have had a good effect with no wobble etc..

I also ran My Hornby 'Capt.Tom' in the same session, although not in the same league as the Hattons models it performed excelently pulling all that was asked of it. The sound on it is a TTS decoder with an EM2 and an iphone speaker attached, lovely sounds form those speakers, much quieter and gentler than the legoman fitted loco, but very nice all the same. I have a light kit for the Hornby 66 which I will fit in the future, but for now I have two 66s in my yard which I am very pleased with.

Edited by 7013
clarifying a point.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Anyone with 66623 the orange Freightliner one,the roof grill seam,are the open one side on the whole batch or is it just the three ive seen,will give up sending them back and put it on my to do list once i get to making it usable,wobble wobble i love you so.

IMG_0342.JPG

5 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Better view,its the best one ive had roof wise but still open along the seam

IMG_0343.JPG

Mine was exactly the same, it went back with other faults, the replacement is much better, but still evident.

• Thanks 1