Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
On 19/11/2020 at 11:21, TomScrut said:

At £119 there a few I'd like although I'll probably only get one. It's a massive difference vs £150 even though it's "only" 20% off it does represent excellent value I think.

Ive took the buy 5 at rrp get one free approach...

;)

I’m expecting.. Next week 2x EWS, 1x DRS, 1xFreightliner, 1x G+&W, 1x GBRF...

The market is saturated with class 66’s currently, I’d imagine there’s not going to be many new made for some time.

But at £119, I doubt your going to see locomotives this detailed at those prices again once they’ve gone... the Hornby/Bachmann ones are probably going to linger.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive took the buy 5 at rrp get one free approach...

Hahahaha I like the way the maths has worked out on that one!

It's weird how most of my wagons are aligned with GBRF, I have hardly anything to go with DB yet they are the biggest players.

I like the DRS ones (thinking KUAs) but I aren't spoiling for DRS stuff at the minute with 68s and 37s to cobble cats with in hand and on pre order!

I also fancy a plain FL one but I have 3 FL locos already and only 2 FL wagon rakes!

It's just bad timing for me really as I am mid layout build and I have about 30 points needing decoders!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, classy52 said:

Interesting that Hattons H4-66-027 66756 in GBRF Europorte livery "Royal Corps of Signals" is the only DCC Ready version that hasn't been reduced as part of their Festive Sale, still being sold @£150.

I think it was at the beginning.

it maybe that only selected quantities are being discounted, it is a sale not a clearance.

I know in the past several discounts have had a DFS effect and been reduced for what felt like an age, but I have found several times that it can just end.. (The Bachmann compound and ROD were like that.. bargain forever, and suddenly it ceased, catching me out).

My guess is in New Years the wider retail trade may get access to these, and this sale is a way of squeezing the market before they do.  I also think this price won’t last, its very at a low level to its contempories, and lets face it, a class 66 is up there with 37/47 for modern image needs, Hattons arent going to be without class 66’s to sell. If this sale was a way of ending the negativity and reigniting it, then the last few pages suggests it has achieved its aim.

It is also a great way or making space in the warehouse for something new that might be arriving...

Make hay whilst the sunshines, ive been making quite a lot of hay, if I am wrong, at £119 I dont think it will turn to manure.

Edited by adb968008

20 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

do we know if the wobble has been fixed on these reduced versions or is it just pot luck ?

Pot luck. I know the ones I got wobbled like a rocking horse but I wasn’t concerned as I modify the axle boxes anyway. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

The free ESU soundfile downloaded from their website. 

Sounds pretty good, had a look on the esu website at ìt, apart from the bits in Germany,  it's better than some of the UK based sound providers. Unfortunately I don't possess the esu programmer to do it.

1 hour ago, Marcoblanco said:

do we know if the wobble has been fixed on these reduced versions or is it just pot luck ?

As above.  Pot luck.  One of mine wobbled like mad, the other was as smooth as silk.  In fact, to be honest I was amazed at just how quiet and smooth it was.  Hattons happily exchanged the wobbly one and if it was milder, I would have kept it and been tempted to have a go.  I'm pondering a couple more

3 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Pot luck. I know the ones I got wobbled like a rocking horse but I wasn’t concerned as I modify the axle boxes anyway. 

Indeed the majority of returns have been precisely for that reason and hattons declare this in their description. As with you, I have chosen to cut and fix axle caps to bogies resulting in perfect running for the 13  I have acquired from the seconds sale  so far, the majority around the 100-110GBP  mark, indeed the latest FL version picked up for 95 at weekend.  Fixing the axle caps on place in my view makes these bullet proof for future use. Other views here may differ.

• RMweb Gold

I am puzzled by this desire to cut and stick axle boxes to "solve the problem". All three of mine have been fixed without the need to lose the rotating axle box feature. No wobble, no bits falling off, just running as they were intended.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

If your puzzled. Look at it this way. Despite the fixes discussed here I am unconvinced  that in the long (That is long term) they will not  work themselves loose due to poor engineering design (short axles) .   I have no desire to be chasing down tiny axle box caps around the layout in future years, no doubt long after the spares become unavailable.

As I said before, your view may differ.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Sadly the rotating axle box design does not work as intended (as far as I’m concerned). I do have one that works ok after removing and re-gluing centrally (still has a very minor wobble though).

The other 6 I have I am just cutting them short and gluing on and they run perfect. Indeed 2 of those 6 are beyond wonky and no amount of centralising and tweaking would get them sorted (beyond a reasonable amount of work). I am just happy to cut and have super smooth running.

The reason I bought the locos was certainly not for the rotating axle boxes but the heavy haul ability (helixes) and the prototypical lighting. They real are stunning models in these respects and looks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

We are back to axle boxes again.

I lost 2 & couldn't find them, so I designed my own replacements.

I have attached the .stl for this if anyone wants to use it. I am sure it could be refined a little but I am happy with it.

I have some fitted to my 66 & apart from being a touch long, they are fine. I have shortened the design by 0.5mm & this is the updated .stl.

I designed this from a photo of the real thing, using dimensions from a Hattons one. It seems that the design I copied is different to the Hattons one. It appears to be the same as Hornby's.

66 axle covers 2 scale.stl

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

So at the reduced price I bit the bullet and brought a new class 66 in DB red. Everything is good apart from the axle boxes, no matter how many times I tried to glue the central boxes on each bogie, they would keep on displacing. The inner and outside axles were fine after a touch of super glue on two of them which were loose. 

I followed what others suggested and cut the backs off and glued in place , everything is now working perfectly and the the loco is extremely smooth. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Andy7 said:

Sadly the rotating axle box design does not work as intended (as far as I’m concerned). I do have one that works ok after removing and re-gluing centrally (still has a very minor wobble though).

The other 6 I have I am just cutting them short and gluing on and they run perfect. Indeed 2 of those 6 are beyond wonky and no amount of centralising and tweaking would get them sorted (beyond a reasonable amount of work). I am just happy to cut and have super smooth running.

The reason I bought the locos was certainly not for the rotating axle boxes but the heavy haul ability (helixes) and the prototypical lighting. They real are stunning models in these respects and looks.

Yes, it’s as if releasing the wheel sets from any relationship with the axleboxes leads to exceptionally smooth and stable running over any track.   Certainly the case for every one of my fleet.

• Agree 3

66 arrived, decided on a brand new DB red 097. First impressions, top grille bent up, axleboxes rattling about in the box, glue marks on the wheels and very dirty and chipped wheels at that. Runs ok, wobbles badly. Often gets ‘stuck’ stops moving but motor buzzes and lights work, I’m on dc. Hand rails chipped, loose fuel tank, all from a ‘new’ one. I’m not to happy, I’ll return it and hopefully get a replacement that works, like I did with my ews one. Disappointing, but at least it wasn’t full rrp, if the return arrives like this, I’ll probably just give up and invest in a Bachmann one, at least one of them ‘should’ work out the box. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Class 158 productions said:

66 arrived, decided on a brand new DB red 097. First impressions, top grille bent up, axleboxes rattling about in the box, glue marks on the wheels and very dirty and chipped wheels at that. Runs ok, wobbles badly. Often gets ‘stuck’ stops moving but motor buzzes and lights work, I’m on dc. Hand rails chipped, loose fuel tank, all from a ‘new’ one. I’m not to happy, I’ll return it and hopefully get a replacement that works, like I did with my ews one. Disappointing, but at least it wasn’t full rrp, if the return arrives like this, I’ll probably just give up and invest in a Bachmann one, at least one of them ‘should’ work out the box. 

The best of my three was the second hand one, the other two being full RRP. Says a lot. 

Roy

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Class 158 productions said:

You would have thought by now Hattons would do cursory QC check  before sending them out, rather than the customer being QC.

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, dave56 said:

You would have thought by now Hattons would do cursory QC check  before sending them out, rather than the customer being QC.

I think that we've perhaps been here before... maybe once, or twice, or...    :D

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I am puzzled by this desire to cut and stick axle boxes to "solve the problem". All three of mine have been fixed without the need to lose the rotating axle box feature. No wobble, no bits falling off, just running as they were intended.

Roy

There is a good explanation on how to overcome wobble problems earlier in this thread. I closely followed the procedure and have 7 class 66 locos running like a Swiss watch with rotating axle boxes.

These are superb locos with tremendous haulage power which I need for my Helixes.

At the current sale price, they are cheaper than a Bachmann 66!

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

Or wait a little for Hattons to produce a second batch, which I am sure they will because they will want to recover their investment from the tooling.

Consider that 1st batches of Bachmann products have not been without issues: class 90s with bogies which fall off & pantographs which will not work, early class 37s with heavily recessed doors, "DCC ready" locos with insufficient space to fit the smallest decoder I could find. I am sure they made another huge '1st batch gaff' which I can't think of right now.

Hattons give good customer service so they seem the type of company who cares about customer satisfaction. I am sure they will also want to reduce the number of returned models so will be working on refinements to their production process.

• Agree 4