Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think the thing is though a little diversion like that is often a good thing. I'd never have gone looking for that story but I found it quite interesting. So long as it doesn't dominate the thread what's the harm?

If we only read the topic we exactly look for we don't find unusual stuff out half the time.

I aren’t sure about that.....

• Funny 4
  • RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Johnfromoz said:

I aren’t sure about that.....

So we had two posts that you considered off topic and now five posts about that....

Just sayin'

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think the thing is though a little diversion like that is often a good thing. I'd never have gone looking for that story but I found it quite interesting. So long as it doesn't dominate the thread what's the harm?

If we only read the topic we exactly look for we don't find unusual stuff out half the time.

quite so.. a diversion, but its not off topic..

what do these two pictures have in common ?

A5694118-874F-4DDD-B8D4-6FCE2B25F809.jpeg.653a6421616419aa3da82befa9f6b148.jpeg

A grave in Surrey.

3456535D-1088-43E4-9C42-B0A6668F359C.jpeg.f923b9768e26271780a1677b4409a3bb.jpeg

(a model of a class 66)

Answer

just before christmas in the 94xx pannier thread, some mentioned a pub in wales being used by Ex-GWR drivers in the 1960’s.

Edited by adb968008
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Ok..

i could leave you all confused there.

@The Johnster mentioned a pub in wales linked to Welsh pirates, and them being left on a beach to drown by being buried to their necks... Pannier 94xx thread.

Intrigued, I googled it., and stumbled on John Trenchman, a 17th century Carribean pirate who was buried in Croydon.

https://www.blipfoto.com/entry/4608422

(Story here)

As its not too far fron me, we planned to go look.. afterall its not everyday you find a 400 year old caribbean pirate in a remote Surrey village.

At the same time, we Stumbled on Engineering works in Croydon, that provided 66001 and 66790.

Hence I came home, and last week decided on making 66001 from 66118.

No pirate from the 1680’s there would be no 66001 on my layout.

I said it wasnt off topic !

ooo arrr !

Edited by adb968008
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

Wow!  I’m surprised by the skull and crossbones emblem in a Christian churchyard, especially from the 17th century when they were more concerned about that sort of thing, and not in a ‘momentum mori’ context either.  Nothing unchristian about pirates of course; not the sort of people you think of as churchgoers perhaps but the psychopathically sadistic and cruel Welsh pirate Bartholomew Roberts, Black Bart, had Welsh hymn singing on his ship on Sunday mornings.  Not my country’s most noble son...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
46 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

quite so.. a diversion, but its not off topic

I don't know whether that is a fantastically random joke (which if so it got the desired effect from me), or if I am not seeing the link :lol:

Ok I have read your reply now, that's brilliant! Made me laugh twice

Edited by TomScrut
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I don't know whether that is a fantastically random joke (which if so it got the desired effect from me), or if I am not seeing the link :lol:

Ok I have read your reply now, that's brilliant! Made me laugh twice

just a slight addendum to this story.

Legend has it, when seeing the stone, you should leave a coin on the grave stone to ensure you get peace.

So, being Northern Spirited, I had a penny and thought I’d do the same.

At the grave, I put my hand into my pocket, and pulled the coins, at which a 20p spun out, bounced off the stone and landed right on the grass..

At which I thought... you know what.. you can have it.

I was just mugged by a 400 year old pirate.

To add to it, my car gps and phone sat navs stopped just before we go there.. all random, pointing my car as if it were in a field, which looked like the hill.

So to wrap up, I think I will a add a mini skull and cross bones in the side of a drivers cab window. Want to be sure my 66 has no issues beyond what I know about.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Took the plunge and ordered mine, werent many left of the the lower numbers 005 and 125 have sold out, so I was daft, stupid, brave to order 66005 with its defects (If anyone wondered who had ordered it from Hattons), lets see whats what when it arrives!

2088253013_66order.jpg.e522d530b6d84e0e0b43e93e9ce1689a.jpg

NL

Edited by NickL2008
  • Like 1

I'm sure this has been discussed, but there's 176 pages to go through... would anyone know the answers to these questions:

1) Does Hattons provide spare parts. I've just opened my new 66 and I think one of the small pipes from near the steps (for sand?) is missing. I tried to contact them on chat, but they closed the chat window so have emailed, but I'm getting a bit stressed about this tiny detail.

2) Whilst searching for the missing pipe in the box I discovered the piece below. Does anyone know where it's come from?

I'm starting to realise that these model are very fragile.

Thanks

20210107_181325.jpg

32 minutes ago, Grouse101 said:

I'm sure this has been discussed, but there's 176 pages to go through...

2) Whilst searching for the missing pipe in the box I discovered the piece below. Does anyone know where it's come from?

20210107_181325.jpg

Discussed previously, but I don’t blame you for not scrolling back through this monstrous thread...

On 06/12/2020 at 09:42, Jack374 said:

CB99305D-BD6B-4FFE-AD4F-18E178CDF27A.jpeg.2ae532f10d5277494069935953cdeea5.jpeg

Can't help you with spares I’m afraid, and yes the locos are fragile!

Jack.

Hattons are awesome on the spares front - i had a few bits missing across my fleet (1 bodyside pipe and few axleboxes) and a quick email to them saw them supply all my needs in a few days, no charge.

M

• Agree 1

Can’t fault Hatton’s service department. 3 replacement axle boxes were posted to me free of charge after I sent them an email. 
Excellent service.

John

• Agree 1
11 hours ago, 37501 said:

Can’t fault Hatton’s service department. 3 replacement axle boxes were posted to me free of charge after I sent them an email. 
Excellent service.

John

This is a new development, isn't it? I haven't heard of them doing the a/boxes as spares before. 

1 hour ago, Daddyman said:

This is a new development, isn't it? I haven't heard of them doing the a/boxes as spares before. 

They sent me some replacements in April so it's not a new thing

• Agree 2
4 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Hi

Contact them through the 'direct chat' bubble on their homepage. They usually engage with you within minutes. The spares have usually been available from them on proof of purchase. Which they can usually check from their system.

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

So the 66 has arrived today (66005) nothing majorly wrong with it from the description, but something with the chassis is a miss here, after running it back and forth a few times, a "burnt" smell coming from the chassis - suspect possibly an overloaded resistor, and now the headlights on one end dont work, as well as the tail lights on the "coupling" end, but thankfully at least the chassis still works, time to ask Hattons 

NL

Edited by NickL2008
  • Friendly/supportive 1
2 hours ago, ayrmrg said:

Hi Nick.

As a matter of interest when you purchased it, was it new or was it a return?

Stephen 

Preowned so possible a return, after talking with Hattons a partial refund as it just looks to be a resistor that's gone or the SMDs have blown possibly

NL 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Preowned so possible a return, after talking with Hattons a partial refund as it just looks to be a resistor that's gone or the SMDs have blown possibly

NL 

I've had two with loose wires behind the lighting boards. Manage to fix them with a soldering iron. This all depends on how much you can do yourself.

• Agree 2
  • RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

NL 

As long at it is not the power transistors, as that if harder to fix. 

Roy

5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

As long at it is not the power transistors, as that if harder to fix. 

Roy

I had a thorough look last night, whilst I had it apart, examined the PCB, nothing looked "charred" or destored, I also added some grease to the flywheel ends that the drive shafts conect into - no oil or grease there, very odd. I also checked the wheels - these had lots of wghat looked to be carpet fibres tangled round the axles so whoever previously had this model has run it on a carpet - big no no . SMDs still refuse to work, so will check all of the wires as per your sugeestion MrB

NL

• Like 1

Just wondering if since some of the numbers still in stock of these has anyone from Hattons thought of having bodys made and printed to fit onto chassis they will have in stock until the real Voyage heads for the stars. even removing and overprinting existing ones if thats possible?.

Doing some of 66731 to Sir Tom... as some of the stock levels are so high.

The Colas pair are low now,as are the GBRF europort ones,6 18 23 25 29 and 30 will be gone soon but others are 200 plus.

Would be a possible way to have more liverys and clear a huge amount of money stuck in shelf stock.

26 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Just wondering if since some of the numbers still in stock of these has anyone from Hattons thought of having bodys made and printed to fit onto chassis they will have in stock until the real Voyage heads for the stars. even removing and overprinting existing ones if thats possible?.

Doing some of 66731 to Sir Tom... as some of the stock levels are so high.

The Colas pair are low now,as are the GBRF europort ones,6 18 23 25 29 and 30 will be gone soon but others are 200 plus.

Would be a possible way to have more liverys and clear a huge amount of money stuck in shelf stock.

Often wondered but how do you find actual stock levels?