Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

I see that a large percentage of the model have been sold at Hatton’s, especially the EWS and DB versions, just leaving the odd few DRS, GBRf and Freightliner ones.

Just wonder if there’s a second rerun announcement around the corner ;):P

20 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Anyone got 66740 Sarah,or more has theres got nameplates on it, or are they all missing the nameplate?

The full priced 66756 is down to eleven in stock now so the last Europorte livery will be gone soon.

I have Sarah, the nameplates are optional and come in a sealed bag unfitted.

It was perfect for re-numbering, which I've done to 66733.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Anyone got 66740 Sarah,or more has theres got nameplates on it, or are they all missing the nameplate?

The full priced 66756 is down to eleven in stock now so the last Europorte livery will be gone soon.

They weren't supplied with the original batch. I sent them an email and they sent me a set.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 13/02/2021 at 15:07, jools1959 said:

I see that a large percentage of the model have been sold at Hatton’s, especially the EWS and DB versions, just leaving the odd few DRS, GBRf and Freightliner ones.

A second batch would be really good for Hatton's, I would have thought it would help pay for the tooling and investment in the project.

Although saying that the first batch was quite large to start with.

I guess there needs to be a lessons learnt review, visit all the issues, resolve the problems implement change and then run a second batch.

There are still lots to go at, latest DB red, DB Maritime livery and lots of celebrities....

Lets hope so...

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

A second batch would be really good for Hatton's, I would have thought it would help pay for the tooling and investment in the project.

Although saying that the first batch was quite large to start with.

I guess there needs to be a lessons learnt review, visit all the issues, resolve the problems implement change and then run a second batch.

There are still lots to go at, latest DB red, DB Maritime livery and lots of celebrities....

Lets hope so...

I agree as well and Hatton’s need to see a return on their investment with a second, maybe a third announcement.  I think the first batch, though impressive, I think overwhelmed both Hatton’s as well as the public.

If there is a second announcement, maybe a dozen proposed with popular liveries and then listen to feedback regarding previous issues and further liveries.

Even though I’ve got the Hornby version, I’m hoping that Hatton’s do DBC 66109 “Teesport Express” and I can run it on my Boston steel train like the photographs :D:D:D.

6EE6802E-A658-4E44-9D06-1E7B12F166C3.jpeg

6A9B6A05-E9E0-4A24-A091-6A0BB446877D.jpeg

Edited by jools1959
Typo

2 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I agree as well and Hatton’s need to see a return on their investment with a second, maybe a third announcement.  I think the first batch, though impressive, I think overwhelmed both Hatton’s as well as the public.

If there is a second announcement, maybe a dozen proposed with popular liveries and then listen to feedback regarding previous issues and further liveries.

Even though I’ve got the Hornby version, I’m hoping that Hatton’s do DBC 66109 “Teesport Express” and I can run it on my Boston steel train like the photographs.

6EE6802E-A658-4E44-9D06-1E7B12F166C3.jpeg

6A9B6A05-E9E0-4A24-A091-6A0BB446877D.jpeg

I asked the very same questions of Hattons as to whether they would produce the PD Ports livery 66.

The answer was never say never, however we don't intend duplicating 66 liveries which have recently been modelled.

Not only do Hornby do their version, but Bachmann have produced a limited edition in that livery which is still currently available.

44 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

My understanding from reading an old Bachmann Times is that the initial costs like tooling and research have to be able to be covered by the first run as one of the considerations for new models.

I suspect this is the same for Hattons and others and they have well and truly covered their costs that with the amount of models they produced. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

My understanding from reading an old Bachmann Times is that the initial costs like tooling and research have to be able to be covered by the first run as one of the considerations for new models.

I suspect this is the same for Hattons and others and they have well and truly covered their costs that with the amount of models they produced. 

It depends on how each company wants to account for the tooling costs. How much would Bachmann charge if they tooled up a new 66? I expect far north of £150.

58 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

A second batch would be really good for Hatton's

I disagreed with a lot of the statements to this effect a few months ago, now they have shifted most of them I expect they might be looking at it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Not only do Hornby do their version, but Bachmann have produced a limited edition in that livery which is still currently available.

I’ve never seen or heard about one being produced.  Anyone got any ideas of where one can be acquired?

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve never seen or heard about one being produced.  Anyone got any ideas of where one can be acquired?

This one maybe? not my era or retailer :-

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Bachmann-diesel/Bachmann-class-66/Bachmann-class-66-pd-ports-66109-teesport-express-in-pd-ports-db-schenker-livery/

40 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Bachmann / Rainbow Class 66 '66109 'Teesport Express' PD Ports / DB Schenker
£240.00

Still available from ttcdiecast which was the former Loughborough model centre.

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

At £240 a pop for just a DC version, I think I’ll pass.

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Bachmann have produced a limited edition in that livery which is still currently available.

Is that true though? I interpret that to mean a limited edition like 720 or 721 for example.

The ones we have had linked so far ar resprays as far as I can tell.

Olivia's is under "customised by Olivia's" on their site and the ttcdiecast if it has Rainbow in the name will probably be a respray.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

12 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Is that true though? I interpret that to mean a limited edition like 720 or 721 for example.

The ones we have had linked so far ar resprays as far as I can tell.

Olivia's is under "customised by Olivia's" on their site and the ttcdiecast if it has Rainbow in the name will probably be a respray.

Apologies, from the text on the advert you're spot on.

It clearly states they are indeed resprays which isn't what I was told during a conversation with the shop concerned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

They weren't supplied with the original batch. I sent them an email and they sent me a set.

Mine arrived in a small packed from Hattons and without requesting them.

On another matter, I have received 6 different 66's and not had any issues. Should I do the lottery next week?

On 13/02/2021 at 15:07, jools1959 said:

This is the big question.

After the EWS one didn't really work out for me, I've now invested in some container wagons and am looking at a matching Freightliner 66 to pull them.

The question is, do I wait and see if any issues are resolved or buy now and hope for the best (not entirely confident with fixing any issues)?

They're as cheap as they're gonna get right now and I'd be saving money even if buying a sound chip separate.

16 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

This is the big question.

After the EWS one didn't really work out for me, I've now invested in some container wagons and am looking at a matching Freightliner 66 to pull them.

The question is, do I wait and see if any issues are resolved or buy now and hope for the best (not entirely confident with fixing any issues)?

They're as cheap as they're gonna get right now and I'd be saving money even if buying a sound chip separate.

Why would they fix them ? They dumped the price and got rid of most of them, they’ve seen various people re-engineering them to get them working.....

they completely disengaged with this thread, and went underground .

• Agree 3

24 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Why would they fix them ?

Once they have got rid of most of the stock on the shelves then they'd maybe look at tweaking the design to overcome issues.

I expect that if they sorted the issues then people would buy these in the shed load (pun intended) at the original RRP or a 2021 inflated figure.

Most of the problems wouldn't need significant amounts of retooling I don't think. The axle boxes could be massively improved with new outer bogie and cover toolings, the circuit board issues (logic functions not working) are simply a manufacturing issue, and the light bleed and lack of glue are also curable with manufacturing process.

That is assuming they have covered the tooling off in this run and it doesn't owe them anything. If it does still owe them then that's another reason for them to work with it.

OTOH the fact they went straight to grading their O gauge coaches off the boat doesn't fill me with confidence.

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Once they have got rid of most of the stock on the shelves then they'd maybe look at tweaking the design to overcome issues.

I expect that if they sorted the issues then people would buy these in the shed load (pun intended) at the original RRP or a 2021 inflated figure.

Most of the problems wouldn't need significant amounts of retooling I don't think. The axle boxes could be massively improved with new outer bogie and cover toolings, the circuit board issues (logic functions not working) are simply a manufacturing issue, and the light bleed and lack of glue are also curable with manufacturing process.

That is assuming they have covered the tooling off in this run and it doesn't owe them anything. If it does still owe them then that's another reason for them to work with it.

OTOH the fact they went straight to grading their O gauge coaches off the boat doesn't fill me with confidence.

Thing is , first thing they need to do is acknowledge there were problems. They’ve never done this publically . I’m not sure if that’s due to any legal implications or intransigence , but a “ no blame “ culture doesn’t seem to exist here,

Maybe they’ll just make some more, price them lower than their last starting point, and rely on YouTube videos of “ how I fixed my Axleboxes in 2025 “ to come out 

• Like 1