Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

On 10/09/2021 at 11:11, Graham108 said:

"I still believe that the 66 and the 59 are being made in the same factory"

What leads you to believe this?

When you look at the packaging and other things compared with the Dapol 68, there's too much the same. Whether Hattons had dispelled it or not, someone in China has made them.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think you're right there. If that's a C rail container then I have made the same observation at home but good enough for me I think, it's not as bad as the orange one.

Yeah, it is the C-Rail container. 

The other obvious potential livery I missed as well would be DB with large DB branding only.

Al

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

When you look at the packaging and other things compared with the Dapol 68, there's too much the same. Whether Hattons had dispelled it or not, someone in China has made them.

I don’t think that was ever in doubt.

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

what is the same ?

Under the hood there is not much similarity, other than an industry standard on/off circuitboard switch.

the class 66 under the hood actually has more in common with the Hornby class 50 than a 68, note the use of JSTs on the 66 vs solders on the 68, its a completely different board design, different wiring, board type, layout, labelling and parts.
The Dapol 68 and 52 also use a completely different shaft/ worm/ gearbox, you can just see a 52 at the top.. it uses fixed soldered wiring, not contacts too.

8DD650E7-AF13-48D8-A025-6033448F39AA.jpeg.184dd5ab8eea6bea1bd363634932d080.jpeg

It does however have some lineage to a Dapol 121…see here.. that box dimension is identical, as is the gearing, worm &  spindle, only the shaft length & material are different… you could  (and I have) fixed some aspects of a Hatton's 66 with class 121 spares… I do recommend having a few 121 metal shafts spare, as the plastic shaft on the 66 is a definite weak point for torque.. just cut it in the middle, trim and brace / glue together with a bit of 2mm brass tubing.

53094E37-7BC4-4657-8282-A1322CDA5128.jpeg.aecdb2eed467064b478bfe55988fc403.jpeg

(ive spent dozens of hours under the hood of Hattons 66’s having bought more wrecks than I will ever need, but at the reject/returns prices offered they were too hard to resist, and I love having a low risk “have a go” to fix… so far everyone ive touch has come good.

Ive even dismantled the can motors right down to the brushes inside the 66.. they are very similar (if not the same) as a well known US HO manufacturer, but Heljan 26/27/33 motors can be substituted, just swap the flywheels, cut off the jst off and solder the wires.

Made in China .. absolutely, made in the same factory.. quite possibly ( and I could probably take a very good punt on which factory it was), designed by the same team…I dont think so.

I await the internals of the 59…but the externals aren't imho of the quite same design as the 66, each having different merits and detractors.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

I guess it also depends on what's meant by "made in the same factory" - define "made".

Where does the factory get their screws and boards from?  Different suppliers?

Are they simply the "assemblers" or do they have their own stock of screws, boards and switches?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I guess it also depends on what's meant by "made in the same factory" - define "made".

Assembled.

I have a Dell laptop with screws that are used on a loco circuit board.

For that matter I have a loco running using a CD Rom motor.

Whenever I chuck a laptop, I strip it bare if useful bits… But I dont have that many laptops these days.

Edited by adb968008

I have been given a class 66 that someone else has messed up and doesn't want. I have tried to get the bufferbeams I need from Hattons and they refuse to sell them to me because I personally didnt buy it from them. Is there any other avenue I can explore or is it basically just a parts loco now?

20210820_145316.jpg

• RMweb Gold

You can definitely get some second hand. In the box you get an extra set if bufferbeams complete with buffers (every loco comes like this). 
I would offer some myself but use the buffers on various other projects so have no spare.

Hopefully someone may be able to help.

• Like 1

I’ve heard a whisper on the model shop grapevine that Hatton’s are awaiting a production slot before making another announcement on another batch of Class 66’s, but with the Chinese playing catch-up, it could be a long wait.

• Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, PM47079 said:

I have been given a class 66 that someone else has messed up and doesn't want. I have tried to get the bufferbeams I need from Hattons and they refuse to sell them to me because I personally didnt buy it from them. Is there any other avenue I can explore or is it basically just a parts loco now?

20210820_145316.jpg

Are you in Australia,it upside down,im sure if you bide your time some will turn up on e bay or someone who has bought one of these direct souce some for you.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, PM47079 said:

20210820_145316.jpg

Why not remove then, put them in a bowl car brake fluid for a day to remove the old paint, and spray a precision BR Warning panel yellow on them ? 
you can source black stripes from Railtec https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1235

unfortunately the ECR 66’s are quite unique, as they come with the Euro snowplough and striped air dam… a close version to tweak/fit might be a Lima class 60 snowplough if you can find one, if no one else makes one.

17 hours ago, PM47079 said:

20210820_145316.jpg

As adb968008 has just said, that looks salvageable if you strip it back. Regarding the ploughs, the only source I know of is PH Designs' version as an etched brass kit…

http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_28_63&product_id=95

Usual disclaimer - I’ve no affiliation - just remember seeing it in Model Rail (?) when it came out, way before Hattons had considered producing sheds!

Jack.

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve heard a whisper on the model shop grapevine that Hatton’s are awaiting a production slot before making another announcement on another batch of Class 66’s, but with the Chinese playing catch-up, it could be a long wait.

If true (which it may well be), I guess the lead time is quite long.

I doubt anything will be announced early after the multiple delays last time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

If true (which it may well be), I guess the lead time is quite long.

I doubt anything will be announced early after the multiple delays last time.

I wonder if they would announce them at all until they are here… last time Hornby and Bachmann decided to fast track a “me too” version.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, just thought I would post a photo of my re-worked DBS Hattons 66 to represent key worker livery 66113.

After removing DB Schenker logo found I needed to re-spray the area where removed. Luckily, Phoenix Precision Paints DB red is a perfect match.

decals are by Steve at Railtec and, to ensure no slivering when adhered to ribbed sides, I mixed a thin coat of PVA  with water and brushed S coat over decal area prior to application of decals. Really pleased with final result.

54D33C3A-9CA0-4FEF-B9B8-C581B2384BE5.jpeg

C3064977-EC6F-40D5-8E34-CA42FD5707C3.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I see Hattons were at GETS this weekend,did anyone see anything of these or grill a member of there stand as to what if any news is available on these as far as more models being produced.66587 is down to 6 left and 66727 is at 19 and a £99 pre owned so once they bite the dust only three new variations remain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I see Hattons were at GETS this weekend,did anyone see anything of these or grill a member of there stand as to what if any news is available on these as far as more models being produced.66587 is down to 6 left and 66727 is at 19 and a £99 pre owned so once they bite the dust only three new variations remain.

I didn't, but a friend of mine did.

They stated the obvious really: that they had invested a lot in the tooling & were not about to waste it. Also that some liveries require licensing agreements which need to be in place before they can be produced.

I would not expect them to give out any more information at this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I didn't, but a friend of mine did.

They stated the obvious really: that they had invested a lot in the tooling & were not about to waste it. Also that some liveries require licensing agreements which need to be in place before they can be produced.

I would not expect them to give out any more information at this time.

I spoke to Richard Davis yesterday and he pretty much stated what @Pete the Elaner friend said.  There is a second batch planned, but don’t expect it to be anytime soon.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Many of the new liveries require a tooling variant we haven't yet seen from anybody..

The Euro imports..

E0C25D19-A0F4-4170-BC43-AF654772D87E.jpeg.6310043f7d51e0e6a5e3be5cb664a0b6.jpeg

Euro buffers..

The protruding horn box…

ABC29341-4501-46D2-982C-B79FE2F75FF6.jpeg.b7c7b3dc1e1503513b0a52285ea9347e.jpeg

note, when aligning the image.. i noticed some minor observations.

The rooflines appear slightly different.. the RFC 66 tapers the roof downwards to the cab front where as the GBRF blue one is dead straight.

Also note the headlight is lower, as is the cantrail stripe, as the body to roof taper is different too…

marked up here..it might be the camera angle but here it is, but it is angled 90 degrees to the lampost, as well as the gbrf blue roof.

E1E664E0-2D66-461A-A82F-D0F9FABC85CB.jpeg.0e90bd8a923b8c9bb494c8eabc6cc0d3.jpeg

2EF4BB44-1202-4698-9D88-18F771AF437D.jpeg.af280b0c60c0bf471f9b95b3f204fae4.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

the RFC 66 tapers the roof downwards to the cab front where as the GBRF blue one is dead straight.

..it might be the camera angle but here it is.

Yeah, I think that at least is down to camera angle.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The rooflines appear slightly different.. the RFC 66 tapers the roof downwards to the cab front where as the GBRF blue one is dead straight.

Also note the headlight is lower, as is the cantrail stripe, as the body to roof taper is different too…

Lots of plausible reasons:  What you are essentially saying is that everything is approximately one-inch lower between the two machines?  I'd be more inclined to think that either the track or ground isn't quite level, or maybe on a very slight incline?  Or the suspension varies from one machine to the other?  There will be tolerances on anything that is manufactured/built to spec. 

Either way, even if there is a difference, you are talking about one-third of a millimetre in 1:76?  Crazy?!  :rolleyes:

My guess would be that if you were to position any two locomotives end-to-end and take a photo that there would likely be some inconsistency between the two.   

Al 

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, YesTor said:

My guess would be that if you were to position any two locomotives end-to-end and take a photo that there would likely be some inconsistency between the two.   

Absolutely true, it depends how much you care…

66790 - 66792 all have different front hand rails to the other class 66’s, and the side cab windows are older style compared to 66793, theres at least 3 different cab windows..and different sand boxes, different top headlights too.

at the airdam level, the buffers are different, on 66793 also,  meaning only 1 large step each side, not two…

4A196ED8-2976-43AA-BB52-B89926FAF567.jpeg.4b12c6feff3fc678d420785ae2b85ccf.jpeg

(As well as the buffers and lights)..

The recent arrivals are each quite unique, I understand under the hood too.

A49527E1-D49E-45BD-ACD7-9B9EBD36AB2F.jpeg.3bf00c4866e127c74cb2eb89dd5b3d10.jpeg

Dapol ‘s class 68 modelled crazy details such as a 2 screw vs 6 screw grab handrail… yes they really did, so if Hattons do the new liveries it would be nice if they got them right, and you can be certain Hornby will do these new liveries, but omit the details…

Hattons went to the extreme of different weld patterns on one of the cab fronts of the first run 66’s… though I guess some missed that, but agree how far do you go.. if were Happy with Hornby then why goto the lengths Hattons went to, when asking them for more, especially when the price is likely to be c£200+.

Edited by adb968008