Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

As with most things in life its easy to pick fault but hard at times to do better,its a good model as it is but would have been so much better with a bit better quality control and real world testing before release.

See what they have learned if the second batch materialise,the game has been lifted by other companys now with recent new models,will they rise to the challenge.

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

at the airdam level, the buffers are different, on 66793 also,  meaning only 1 large step each side, not two…

4A196ED8-2976-43AA-BB52-B89926FAF567.jpeg.4b12c6feff3fc678d420785ae2b85ccf.jpeg

(As well as the buffers and lights)..

And twin air pipes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YesTor said:

Either way, even if there is a difference, you are talking about one-third of a millimetre in 1:76?  Crazy?!  :rolleyes:

But we're quite happy to accept a 2mm or more discrepancy in track gauge..........

:D

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Dapol ‘s class 68 modelled crazy details such as a 2 screw vs 6 screw grab handrail… yes they really did...

Hattons went to the extreme of different weld patterns on one of the cab fronts of the first run 66’s… though I guess some missed that, but agree how far do you go..

Yes, absolutely aware of all of the above, but those are very much depicting legitimate detail differences.

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

66790 - 66792 all have different front hand rails to the other class 66’s, and the side cab windows are older style compared to 66793, theres at least 3 different cab windows..and different sand boxes, different top headlights too.

at the airdam level, the buffers are different, on 66793 also,  meaning only 1 large step each side, not two…

Again agreed, all legitimate detail differences that, in my humble opinion, would be wise to be depicted on any high-spec model. 

The point I am simply trying to make - without causing offence -  is that I'm not sure that highlighting that one machine happens to have been photographed sitting perhaps one-inch higher than another, is evidence of a variation in build.  Working on your theory, let's suppose I want a model of 66590, should I seek to reproduce the model leaning 3 degrees to the left, after all it has been photographed as such on occasion...  

...and it becomes a crazy argument.   :rolleyes:

66590 & 66504 at Ipswich

66590, 66575 & 66955 on Ipswich yard

21 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The rooflines appear slightly different.. the RFC 66 tapers the roof downwards to the cab front where as the GBRF blue one is dead straight.

They are identical.  If you refer to your grid you'll also see that your GBRf blue 66 on the right has the same very slight incline in the roof, except it's *cough*, sitting half an inch higher in the photograph.

Looking at the Euroshed (66793) from a different angle and to be fair I'm struggling to see any discernable difference in ride height:

66793.jpg.1e2bb0758c401afbc263ada407a09bd4.jpg

I just don't buy the idea that one locomotive is riding higher than the other, or that the roofline is somehow different. 

In fact, there is a distinct danger in that sometimes we can look so hard at things that we begin to see things that aren't really there...  <_<

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, YesTor said:

I want a model of 66590, should I seek to reproduce the model leaning 3 degrees to the left, after all it has been photographed as such on occasion...  

...and it becomes a crazy argument.   :rolleyes:

66590 & 66504 at Ipswich

66590, 66575 & 66955 on Ipswich yard

They are identical.  

Looking at the Euroshed (66793) from a different angle and to be fair I'm struggling to see any discernable difference in ride height:

66793.jpg.1e2bb0758c401afbc263ada407a09bd4.jpg

It’s actually showing the roof angle better in your photograph than mine.

I noticed a droop on all 3 times ive seen it which is why I took the picture in the first place, maybe i’m seeing things, maybe the cameras not getting it, but either way whatever.

and FYI 66590 isn’t the same as 66504… not even close..

it has a different roof headlamp, just for starters, as well as headlight mountings (not the headlights) and the different cab windows, handrail mounting, lifting lug positions, no airdam steps, different sand boxes.. 7 years between them moved the jigs along a bit.

The other photo of 3 in a line shows the different light clusters and headlight, as well as a different cab seam… there will be a stage where every 66 is uniquely different.

Edited by adb968008

These are going for good money at times now most have sold out which does non of us who bough some any harm.Like or loath it the pink 66587 has gone now and 66727 is at 12 new left. I doubt a re run will be as cheap as this so im glad i got what i wanted with these.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Not sure if anyone's mentioned the recessed section below the cab windows before . Brought to my attention last night by one of the other model manufacturers

A quick perusal and it looks like it's only on 66752-66779

image.png.ce110f98026dc30ec154ea74616914a2.png

Original Flickr pic

GBRf Class 66 (66779) - Motherwell

And 66773/778

image.png.94ed9b331d445adefe70fe500f2e2c0a.png

Original flickr pic 

66778 at Ipswich

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, newbryford said:

Not sure if anyone's mentioned the recessed section below the cab windows before . Brought to my attention last night by one of the other model manufacturers

A quick perusal and it looks like it's only on 66752-66779

image.png.ce110f98026dc30ec154ea74616914a2.png

Original Flickr pic

GBRf Class 66 (66779) - Motherwell

And 66773/778

image.png.94ed9b331d445adefe70fe500f2e2c0a.png

Original flickr pic 

66778 at Ipswich

Hattons have tooled this cab version.

two models..

https://www.hattons.co.uk/365834/hattons_originals_h4_66_027_d_class_66_66756_in_gbrf_europorte_livery_royal_corps_of_signals_digital_fitted/stockdetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/365838/hattons_originals_h4_66_028_s_class_66_66762_in_gbrf_europorte_livery_sound_fitted_sold_out_on_pre_order/stockdetail.aspx

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Nice, well done to Hattons for that small piece of attention to detail. Much better than the Hornby approach of just paint it in the livery and hope we'll never notice! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, surfsup said:

Nice, well done to Hattons for that small piece of attention to detail. Much better than the Hornby approach of just paint it in the livery and hope we'll never notice! 

Its better than that though, take a look at the cab front handrails…

They modelled two types, the difference being the very centre handrail support.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/365827/hattons_originals_h4_66_025_class_66_66731_in_gbrf_first_group_livery/stockdetail.aspx

vs

https://www.hattons.co.uk/365830/hattons_originals_h4_66_026_class_66_66740_in_gbrf_europorte_livery_sarah_/stockdetail.aspx

(one of the aspects that separates 66590 from 66504 above, in addition to everything else mentioned).

Hattons really have been under recognised for the inane detail levels they went to on their class 66.

• Agree 3

On 09/10/2021 at 23:42, surfsup said:

Cuts both ways,the very locomotive that they hired for sound the got the colour break wrong and Hornby got it right,i would have expected them to get right whats there in front of them,i would have liked a Colas pair.

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
illiteracy
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Cuts both ways,the very locomotive that they hired for sound the got the colour brake wrong and Hornby got it right,i would have expected them to get right whats there in front of them,i would have liked a Colas pair.

Sorry but can you edit the above so it makes sense ; ‘got the colour brake wrong’ !

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

i did a quick nosey on the website at how many it suggests are left..

66727 -3

after that I think it might be a while before any of the others sell out…

66731 -61

66743 -102

66623 -120

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brynna79 said:

66727 was more than 10 in stock on Tuesday when I last checked.  This was suddenly a popular choice.  

Mexican standoff, everyone watching one hand on the keyboard the other on their wallet.

when stocks dip below 30..the shooting begins, once it drops below 12 everyone rips up the saloon in a big bar fight… buffers everywhere.

After the last one is gone, all thats left is the late comer, left covered in horse manure dumped in the horses water tray, spitting hay, just as the big fella walks past and drops an empty parts bag on him.

I guess its people balancing priorities.

Surprised its dropped to 3 leaving the £99 one there, its issue is an easy fix and its been there a few weeks now. I’d be tempted too buy it, but i’m fattened with 66’s already and that livery isnt my interest (which kind of sums up the rest remaining at this point too).

Still c280 left, thats a lot to shift, even if its the leftovers of a greater thing.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Mexican standoff, everyone watching one hand on the keyboard the other on their wallet.

when stocks dip below 30..the shooting begins, once it drops below 12 everyone rips up the saloon in a big bar fight… buffers everywhere.

After the last one is gone, all thats left is the late comer, left covered in horse manure dumped in the horses water tray, spitting hay, just as the big fella walks past and drops an empty parts bag on him.

I guess its people balancing priorities.

Surprised its dropped to 3 leaving the £99 one there, its issue is an easy fix and its been there a few weeks now. I’d be tempted too buy it, but i’m fattened with 66’s already and that livery isnt my interest (which kind of sums up the rest remaining at this point too).

Still c280 left, thats a lot to shift, even if its the leftovers of a greater thing.

They are easy to strip and respray!

Got to admit - cracked yesterday and now have my 17th Hattons class 66 with one resprayed to Maritime Intermodal 1 and another reworked to 66113 Key people livery.

A superb model and nearly all my Bachmann ones now sold.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I wasn’t too keen on the orange colours of the new freightliner G&W but over time it’s certainly grown on me. And for me, 66623 was the first orange one I saw in the flesh so would have liked this one in my collection. Shame Hattons got the colour completely wrong for this particular loco! Really wish at some point down the line they either offer to replace body shells or do another in the correct orange. I appreciate they may be fairly straightforward for some to respray but I’ve not got the talent to carry out such work. Think it may be quite a while until 66623 sells out at Hattons…

7FE221A9-03E6-47C6-9C61-C495DFFD2EF3.png

56C77AB8-BC1F-4280-B41D-B6CC2B13814F.png

C0833BC6-7256-42A7-A780-C0465AF7E98F.jpeg

25F4EF62-2F53-4F05-A325-34BD7CBF369F.jpeg

• Like 1

Renumber it to 66419 and it looks the part,will probably fade over time or will all be cut up if the Gretas get there way,it is a shame but probably the worst thing about all this model 66 batch is Hattons no fix like it or lump it accross the range,more expert box shifters than model rail experts,no involving or using customer feedback. Accurascale, Cavalex,Revolution are a lot better thought of through an open approach and i doubt it does Hattons any good in the long term,lets just hope the chassis does not dissolve over time.........

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE

4 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Renumber it to 66419 and it looks the part,will probably fade over time or will all be cut up if the Gretas get there way,it is a shame but probably the worst thing about all this model 66 batch is Hattons no fix like it or lump it accross the range,more expert box shifters than model rail experts,no involving or using customer feedback. Accurascale, Cavalex,Revolution are a lot better thought of through an open approach and i doubt it does Hattons any good in the long term,lets just hope the chassis does not dissolve over time.........

413 is the pale orange one in the real Freightliner fleet, The body of 623 is incorrect for the renumber I am told by more knowledgeable people than myself. Thats why my 623 is destined to become something completely different once repainted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dicky L said:

413 is the pale orange one in the real Freightliner fleet, The body of 623 is incorrect for the renumber I am told by more knowledgeable people than myself. Thats why my 623 is destined to become something completely different once repainted.

Yes I think that was discussed at length on here when the problem was first noted.

Is anyone making replacement axlebox caps for these?

Just had mine running the last couple of days and have noticed 2 are missing.

I've been around the tracks a couple of times with a high-powered torch and nothing showing.

I'll keep looking, and will approach H directly.

Al.

58 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Is anyone making replacement axlebox caps for these?

I do recall somebody making some on a resin 3d printer on this thread.

I'd have a go myself but as I only have a PLA printer I don't think I'll get the results.

• Like 1