Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

Hopefully this will be less noticeable in the flesh and it’s just the close up shots that give it that slightly off effect

That is the curse of digital photography - Everything is available in close up....Its almost like some people never actually see the model in what should be its rightful place - On a layout, full of other things that also catch the eye.

I've quickly scanned through the photos on Hatton's Facebook page and there does seem to be quite a few potential glitches with regard to the sizing or/and positioning of a few cabside and cabfront numbers and/or logos on the various liveries, particularly DRS, GBRf and perhaps Freightliner.  I have to say that it must be quite a task to ensure that over 30 examples are all correct in such a short space of time.  Hopefully Hatton's will manage to pull it off successfully...

Edited by YesTor

That is the curse of digital photography - Everything is available in close up....Its almost like some people never actually see the model in what should be its rightful place - On a layout, full of other things that also catch the eye.

Very true. That said, model railways these days are an expensive and thus considered purchase.  And some of us also like to take time to view and appreciate our models close-up. I guess we are all different and I suppose it's just as well we are.  :)

Edited by YesTor

Hmmmm, this is very slight but does I think contribute to the overall look, in that much like the EWS text the font used for the GBRf logo and bodyside numbers on the 'Barbie' examples ought to perhaps be just a tad heavier...

post-5822-0-62505100-1548727485_thumb.jpg

post-5822-0-84059900-1548727501_thumb.jpg

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 3

I agree, but Hornby could have retooled the Lima model with the new coupling, working directional lights & some nicer handrails etc then they could have been still way cheaper than Bachmann with an acceptable model.

Come on Hornby 'WAKE UP' bring out a Class 37 to match your Class 56 then your profits will go up.

Charlie

The Hornby Class 66 is already improved a far bit. It has NEM couplings, it has a beautifully smooth 5-pole skew wondering motor and DCC ready now. The handrails aren't all that bad TBH.

Yes it lacks lighting and yes having lighting would've been nice, but it's equally nice to support the cottage industry and have lighting kits and services to add them.

That being said the Hornby Class 66 isn't aimed at the modellers market, the only modellers who'd buy them is people like me who want to make kits/practice skills.

• Like 1

Now we have a choice on a Class 66. I suggest Bachmann & Hornby are rattled by this!!

The Choice it seems is:

1/ Hattons Class 66 with some unique features and sounds at in my opinion a reasonable price.

2/ Bachmann Class 66 which has the old tooling and minimal features (Unless I have missed the announcements)

3/ Hornby (Old Lima) very old tooling in there Rail Road range, the only thing in its favour is its 'Cheap'

With all the announcements of duplicated models we are entering interesting times, sadly Hornby & Bachmann have taken their eye off the ball and let the smaller guys in.

I hope these guys will listen & Learn, dont keep jacking the prices up and offer nothing in return.

Charlie

I'd have to politely disagree. Hornby are far from getting rattled. Their target market is totally different.

Bachmann are more likely to be shaken because Bachmann's Class 66 now sits in an awkward place. Infact the Bachmann model lacks detail that we come to expect today from a high fidelity model.

• RMweb Gold

With all the major issues that are being pointed out on the Hattons model I have decided that the Hornby model is definitely the best. I’m sure Hattons will be happy to start again with some new tooling, especially as they are at the livery checking stage!

I think I will cancel my pre-orders because the Wipac lights are a nats nadger too big. Obviously I won’t and it also won’t stop then selling out at the rrp. Almost nothing in the world is perfect but this is very good. You need to remember it is only a foot long and your very critical eyes probably have glasses on them.

It looks fantastic and will clearly be the ultimate 66, great job Hattons. I’m very excited to get my hands on them and I certainly won’t be moaning in the slightest.

Btw I think that all 3 models have their place and will continue to sell. I’m not getting rid of my Bachmann 66’s and have one on pre-order.

Edited by Andy7
  • Agree 1

Interesting model vs prototype picture there - I'm looking specifically at the distance between the bottom of the windscreens and the top of the warning panel/handrail - anyone else see it???

Jon

Yes also noticed when I was looking at the lack of fine orange lines on the windscreens, and the lack of cant rail stripe on the sides of the top marker light housing. I'm hopeful these have been picked up as they are missing on all the examples above.

Re top of warning yellow/bottom of windscreens, is the yellow too low or are the windscreens too small/high up? Not a huge issue but the easier fix is to extend the yellow up a bit.

And yes GB orange looks way too dark, blue looks ok to me.

Edited by SouthernMafia

Hattons should be congratulated on a fine looking model, and commended for taking what must be a massive financial leap in bringing this comprehensive range of class 66's to an already busy market place.

I'm sure that the posters above intend their criticism in a constructive way, Hattons please take the comments as a sign that they care and want the model to be a resounding success.

Have the comments been sent directly to Hattons as well as posted on here?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

To my eyes the major thing missing from these models is the filth and flaking paint. I support the idea that in a  layout setting, distressed to owner's taste, they are going to look the part alright. My question is over the mechanical qualities, hopefully a full match to the established standard for centre motor drives. The rotating axle ends are potentially the most attractive feature of all, will enhance the model in action.

...Maybe Bachmann are the ones who will lose out, with their model sitting in the middle between 'cheap and cheerful' and high detailed for the 'discerning' modeller...

They have the decent model with a good centre motor drive, but slightly less detailed and featured, and for a bit less money. Plenty of opinion here over the years that 'this is what I want'. They also have most of the wagons that these locos haul, so may pick up sales there. You need twenty wagons for each 66 surely?

.I already have a Bachmann Freightliner (single bogie pick-up) Class 66, which apart from the obvious potential for stalling over points,..

Off topic, but there's something for you to fix, it has pick up from both bogies as designed, and it may be no more than poor connections that make it single bogie pick up. (The electrical connections are clipped onto the main board; this isn't the most reliable method and a little work can improve matters.)

• RMweb Gold

I have pre-ordered one and if there are spare COLAS models in stock once they are delivered I may even get one of those as well.

It's understandable that people point out all the little flaws, but all too often miss the fact that there is an overall improvement to what the market has on offer at present.

Manufacturing and painting processes may make some details very difficult to replicate exactly, but it is somewhat annoying when basic moulding is the wrong size or shape. I'm sure the Mark 2 version in a couple of years will be even better!!

Well done Hattons and i am very hopefully my model lives up to the expectation when it arrives!

On 1/29/2019 at 12:37 AM, YesTor said:

And while not livery-related but applies to all the early examples and the aforementioned 'chunky' WIPACs appear far more obvious on the black-painted examples...

I am no expert on this, and it's not something that will bother me either way, but looking at the prototypical examples you linked to, wonder of the apparent chunkyness is because on the real locos the sides are painted yellow?

Edited by Damo666

On 1/29/2019 at 6:36 AM, Andy7 said:

With all the major issues that are being pointed out on the Hattons model I have decided that the Hornby model is definitely the best. I’m sure Hattons will be happy to start again with some new tooling, especially as they are at the livery checking stage!

I think I will cancel my pre-orders because the Wipac lights are a nats nadger too big. Obviously I won’t and it also won’t stop then selling out at the rrp. Almost nothing in the world is perfect but this is very good. You need to remember it is only a foot long and your very critical eyes probably have glasses on them.

With the greatest respect is there really a need for sarcasm?  If you had been following the topic from the outset then you would already be aware that Hatton's post photographs online and ask for feedback/opinion, which is precisely what people are doing in what appears to be in as a constructive way as possible.  I agree that the models do look very good, however what would be the point of looking at something that doesn't look quite right and instead saying, "Oh, brilliant, all looks fine"?  Often something being what you refer to as a "nat's nadger" too big/small can occasionally spoil the overall look and feel of a model.  At the end of the day it all boils down to personal perception and I sincerely believe that all of the comments within this discussion are being made with the sole aim in achieving the best model possible.  This attitude naturally is derived from a strong passion for the model in hand.  And for the record no, I do not wear glasses.  ;)

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, YesTor said:

With the greatest respect is there really a need for sarcasm?  If you had been following the topic from the outset then you would already be aware that Hatton's post photographs online and ask for feedback/opinion, which is precisely what people are doing in what appears to be in as a constructive way as possible.  I agree that the models do look very good, however what would be the point of looking at something that doesn't look quite right and instead saying, "Oh, brilliant, all looks fine"?  Often something being what you refer to as a "nat's nadger" too big/small can occasionally spoil the overall look and feel of a model.  At the end of the day it all boils down to personal perception and I sincerely believe that all of the comments within this discussion are being made with the sole aim in achieving the best model possible.  This attitude naturally is derived from a strong passion for the model in hand.  And for the record no, I do not wear glasses.  ;)

Al

That’s great but it’s too late! The models are having the liveries tweaked at this stage of the game. I would suggest the tooling is 100% complete and set in stone. 

As someone who ordered on the initial release date on RMweb I have been following from the start.

i wish you luck getting your tweaks through at this late stage.

On 01/02/2019 at 17:17, Andy7 said:

That’s great but it’s too late! The models are having the liveries tweaked at this stage of the game. I would suggest the tooling is 100% complete and set in stone.

What was the line from Fawlty Towers, something about stating "the bl***ing obvious"...?

I think we are all only too aware of what stage this model is at production-wise, however a manufacturer has posted photos requesting feedback, and that's exactly what members here are doing, posting feedback based on what they see and what they might perceive as being correct, or otherwise.  Just because the tooling is signed-off and the models are virtually on the boat doesn't make any potential glitches suddenly appear 'correct'. 

More broadly, no one is suggesting that this 66 is a 'bad' model per se, just that some things may or may not benefit from a second look, nothing more, nothing less.  I've reiterated all along that things are often perceived differently when viewing any model from enlarged photographs as opposed to viewing lifesize at eye level.  It might well be that some things discussed here are barely noticeable in reality and if that be the case then all the better. 

On the point of liveries, others seem to be picking up on some shades perhaps being slightly amiss - Warning panel yellow, GBRf orange, 'Barbie' pink etc etc.  Again, (and I think as we all already appreciate), this could simply be due to the nature of photography/lighting, but then again if some of the shades are indeed wrong then only a fool would simply brush-off these points as being insignificant, confident that the model will "sell out at RRP" anyway.  A brief glance over at the multi-paged debates over both the Oxford Rail Mk III and Dapol Class 73 (of which the latter still sits stock on retailers' shelves some 3 years after release) should soon put that misinformed viewpoint to bed.  Bad/innacurate application of liveries can kill an otherwise great model. 

At the end of the day I wish Hatton's all the best with this model - a top-end Class 66 is something I have been waiting for for a very long time and while I cannot speak for everyone, all I can say is that my own participation in this topic has perhaps been greater than in any other topic on any other subject via RMWeb.  It appears that sometimes passion for great models is simply perceived as 'nit-picking', but perhaps that stems from the fact that we communicate via text on these forums whereby a lot of the feeling behind such comments is understandably lost in translation.  Not much we can do about that I guess.

Edited by YesTor

1 minute ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

I'm not sure that they are too big but its more that there is too much black on the sides of the clusters. Would benefit from the yellow extending further out- That said, they do "seem" chunky but until we see it in the flesh its difficult.

Totally agree that might (hopefully) be the case.  :)

We always get these issues with people wanting the ultimate accuracy.

nit picking doesn’t offend me in the slightest - these models are expensive and rightly people expect close to perfection in these modern days. 

“ good enough “ or “ an improvement “ doesn’t really cut it when there is competition and to be fair the Bachmann one isn’t bad at all ( I have 2). I may get one of these but I’ll wait and see what the verdict is when the production ones arrive.

and I really hope it IS good...because then they may have a bash at older classses

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I can live with chunky headlights on the EWS version, but hope they sort they check of the lightening stripe on the bodyside if it is sitting too low.

Looking at the photo, shown in the link below, the lightening stripe doesn't actually sit perfectly in line with the rib in the bodyside where the roof then starts. It is a little down the side of the engine. Hattons might just have it right...

https://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p151123395

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For anybody near Widnes, all the painted samples are now on display in the Hatton's store.

I had a quick look at them earlier this week and they do look brilliant.

Personally, the colours look much better in the flesh compared to the photographs. Regarding the comments above, the chunky headlights aren't as noticeable and the 'EWS' looks a bit bolder than the pictures.

Edited by TangerineWizards
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed something, that I don't think has been picked up yet, so I thought that I would post. 

Usually I am not as eagle eyed as this, which would suggest that I if I have noticed it that others may have and may do too. Just searched on Flickr for a photo of EWS 66005. Then comparing the photo to the current two photos of the Hattons model on their website it can be clearly seen that the yellow band that begins next to the cab window is not aligned correctly at the right height on the Hattons model. On the loco in reality the yellow band appears to be exactly level with the bottom of the cab window but on the Hattons model the yellow band appears to be a good few millimetres below the bottom of the cab window. Enough of a distance to make it noticeable. I would estimate on the model that the yellow band is around 3/4mm lower than where it should start.

I won't upload the Flickr photo as it isn't mine and I do not wish to post without permission of the owner. Although a Google Images, Flickr search etc will show what I mention.

As this is noticeable I would like to think that this error will be corrected and the EWS livery aligned appropriately on the bodysides. Of note this may relate to what others have noticed about the lack of gap between the top of the EWS livery and the orange cantrail lining also on the bodysides of the EWS livery, and thus the two errors go hand in hand.  

This post is not trying to pick fault with the model, just something that I have noticed. Although I would like to think that the five EWS versions and one ex EWS and now DB version will be corrected, considering that the price tag is £150 per model. 

Can you confirm that this error will be corrected Dave?

Thank you in advance. 

EDIT: Image now added. Please note this is not my image. See link below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ 

This image is dated 2009, although to my knowledge the EWS livery has never been amended or revised. 

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
To add image
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Why not paste a link to the picture if you don't want to post the actual picture, more likely to elicit a reposnse if Hattons Dave can be directed to the image you refer to.

Good idea. Just added the image. Hopefully this should make it noticeable as to what I mention in the above comment. 

Good spot Danny and Yes Tor too.

I do hope this is corrected on the production models.  I'm prepared to do much to fettle models, but correcting livery errors is beyond my skill set, and I shouldn't have to , so that would put me off  buying any EWS liveried ones.

Shame.

Would Hattons  like to add anything to this?

• Agree 2