Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

Just been onto the new Hattons Hobbies website and searched "66502" as I have been doing regularly to check for arrival/delivery updates and no change their as it still says August 2019, although their is now detailed information about the specification of the new Hattons 66s. This has been added since yesterday, so this may suggest that Hattons are preparing for their arrival and that an ETA of August is still accurate... 

https://hattonshobbies.com/products/class-66-66502-in-freightliner-livery-basford-hall-centenary-2001?variant=12519291519070

• Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, YesTor said:

A new website?  They kept that one quiet.  Unless I've been living under a rock for the last few months...  :P

It's only been a secret for 10 months. Shhhhh.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Headlights, buffers and aircon units are the first sign when trying to identify UK spec and Euro spec Class 66s

Not always.

AIrcon isn't fitted to all the Euro 66s (pics from flickr)

HGK DE 64 I Görwangs I Allgäu

And the Euro Cargo Rail 66s still retain their original lights and buffers.

(It can be argued that these are not true "Euro spec" as they return to the UK for heavy repairs, or as cover during the RHTT season)

Class 66234 - Train 460999 St-Hilaire-au-Temple>Cercy-la-Tour

But we are now digressing from the Hattons loco...….

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 18:33, atom3624 said:

As far as I remember the Bachmann has twin balanced flywheels, but curiously this is overlooked ....

But it is all 'old hat' d'y'see. We first saw this driveline layout in UK OO in Bachmann's Peaks* back in the early 1990s. All the excitement is long over. The fact that the combination of a hefty cast block, good size five pole iron core motor and a pair of flywheels with shaft drive to both bogies delivers a reliably quiet, powerful and highly controllable drive means nothing to some. OLD. BORING.

* I have had one of these running, deliberately without any maintenance since that time, as an experiment. Still runs as well as ever, leaves all previous mechanism designs offered in RTR OO for dead. PROVEN. EXCELLENT.

• Like 4

On 26/07/2019 at 08:14, 7013 said:

Just an aside, I saw 66412 at Banbury yesterday, but the 412 section was a vinyl overlay. I did not see the side numbers. Out of curiosity I looked the loco up which says it is with freightliner Poland. Would it be that the loco has been brought back to the UK? Would another 66 have been allocated that number? Or would the loco I saw be working through to Poland? I know the last scenario is unlikely. However I know there are lots of knowledgable people about the movements of these locos. I know it is slightly off tack but would be interesting to find out.

Def wouldn't have been 412 you saw, the original 66412 is now in Poland and has been a good few years now

only 413-416, 418-420 still operated by FL

• RMweb Premium

It was numbered 412, so there must be two carrying that number, as I said it was. Vinyl taped over the original number. It really matters not though as there are more important things to discuss regarding Hattons 66s which I am sure will be numbered correctly.

I think even if there will be a slight delay, the model will be superb, and worth the wait.

I'm personally 'watching this space' to read initial impressions.

I've gone with a Dapol 59, but hope to add a Hattons 66 in the near future.

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Have a GBRf BR blue version on order with sound, am really looking forward to its release. The Dapol 59 is not scheduled for release for a while so I have one of those on order. It will be a great day when they are alongside each other.

Edited by 7013

We know and perhaps it was a 'minor oversight' - the Bachmann effort is pretty darned good ... but this does still look like a relative game changer.

I can't wait to see how they end up, and specifically, what the initial purchasers think of them ... objectively.

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

We know and perhaps it was a 'minor oversight' - the Bachmann effort is pretty darned good ... but this does still look like a relative game changer.

I can't wait to see how they end up, and specifically, what the initial purchasers think of them ... objectively.

Al.

Reflect on that. There are few who think objectively.:wub:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

OK, you pays your money you takes ...

I don't think so here.

Of all people within the (after) market, I think they won't go that wrong .... it'll be pretty good .... even if I'm not on the list .... yet!!

Objective comments, perhaps not ... but 'the truth's out there .... '

Tension mounts!!

Al.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if that is deliveries from China? If so we will have a little wait until the ship arrives here. Whenever it comes I am sure it will be worth the wait.

• Funny 1

On 31/07/2019 at 12:51, Pegleg90 said:

Are they likely to come into Hattons DCC fitted (inc. sound) or are Hattons going to need to fit these themselves so stagger delivery maybe?

I can't answer the DCC Side but I seem to recall that the Class 66 will be arriving in batches and not all in one go. 

Must say that that Hatton's livestream is an inspiration - LOADS of information and great to see / hear extra care to be taken with the 66 but unfortunately resulting in a slight delay - just before Christmas or 'URGENT Air Mail' orders come in earlier - to appear on their site on Monday they said.

In view of the delay I can now budget the 66 and have pre-ordered ... I'll be able to compare the 59 and 66 myself .... WOW!!

Can't wait!

Al.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all!

I’ve recently just returned from China where I saw the Class 66s in production. During this visit we identified some situations where the directional lights would not display all of the configurations we wanted. We have a solution which will now see the circuit board work with any type of decoder (2, 4, 6 or 12 function) and on analogue to produce fully independent lights. Unfortunately this has introduced another delay into the production whilst the boards are modified and fitted.

The new delivery date will be December 2019. We are sorry that the project has incurred another delay but we could not let the locomotives leave the factory unless we were completely happy with them. The delay has also meant there will be some more exciting additions to the project but these will only be revealed when the products are released.

To help accommodate for the delay, we are excited to introduce a new expedited delivery service for the Class 66s. Instead of the normal wait of 6-7 weeks for the sea freight from the factory, we can use air freight and have your model to you in just 7 days of it leaving China!  This service will cost £10 per loco and is available to anyone.  

If you already have an order, it can be added to your existing pre-order, or, if you want to order more 66s, you can add the service to the order as well.  Just look for the link in the description of the 66 you want (being added shortly) or give our Helpdesk a call on 0151 733 3655 or email using info@hattons.co.uk

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hattons Dave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Ruairidh Munro said:

So is that due December (INCLUDING 6-7 weeks at sea) but you can secure an earlier delivery for an additional fee OR due December if you pay more money but it'll be February 2020 for those who don't pay more.

Sorry asking for more money (to secure a less late delivery) whilst announcing a further delay to the project leaves something of a bitter taste.  I can imaging what one of my clients would tell me if I informed them a project was going to late, but hae  if you pay me MORE, I can make it LESS late.

I'll just wait for the main shipment to arrive, as £10 per loco (when currently P&P is £4 total) on an order of 5 units is not insignificant.

No-one is forcing you to pay it, but some people might like the idea of getting their locos 2 months earlier.

Who knows how long a ship may wait to enter port post Brexit.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

5 minutes ago, Ruairidh Munro said:

Sorry asking for more money (to secure a less late delivery) whilst announcing a further delay to the project leaves something of a bitter taste.  I can imaging what one of my clients would tell me if I informed them a project was going to late, but hae  if you pay me MORE, I can make it LESS late.

I disagree.

Surely you are buying a Hattons 66 because they have sold it as being better than those currently available? If they have identified an issue then I would rather them hold things up a few more months than ignore it.

If having one now is important to you then Hornby & Bachmann's versions are both available.

They could easily have announced that the models will not be here until February. It would probably be less work for them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

25 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I disagree.

Surely you are buying a Hattons 66 because they have sold it as being better than those currently available? If they have identified an issue then I would rather them hold things up a few more months than ignore it.

If having one now is important to you then Hornby & Bachmann's versions are both available.

They could easily have announced that the models will not be here until February. It would probably be less work for them.

The class 66 is due in hattons in dec but if you pay the ten pounds you will getting six weeks before hope this helps

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Just to confirm, the main batch will arrive via sea freight in December.

Anyone who chooses to have their loco(s) air freighted will receive them around October time instead.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4