Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
On 09/08/2019 at 14:36, Hattons Dave said:

Hi all!

I’ve recently just returned from China where I saw the Class 66s in production. During this visit we identified some situations where the directional lights would not display all of the configurations we wanted. We have a solution which will now see the circuit board work with any type of decoder (2, 4, 6 or 12 function) and on analogue to produce fully independent lights. Unfortunately this has introduced another delay into the production whilst the boards are modified and fitted.

The new delivery date will be December 2019. We are sorry that the project has incurred another delay but we could not let the locomotives leave the factory unless we were completely happy with them. The delay has also meant there will be some more exciting additions to the project but these will only be revealed when the products are released.

To help accommodate for the delay, we are excited to introduce a new expedited delivery service for the Class 66s. Instead of the normal wait of 6-7 weeks for the sea freight from the factory, we can use air freight and have your model to you in just 7 days of it leaving China!  This service will cost £10 per loco and is available to anyone.  

If you already have an order, it can be added to your existing pre-order, or, if you want to order more 66s, you can add the service to the order as well.  Just look for the link in the description of the 66 you want (being added shortly) or give our Helpdesk a call on 0151 733 3655 or email using info@hattons.co.uk

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave, 

Thank you for the update on the Class 66 project. 

Personally, I am pleased that you are delaying the models. For me the lighting and DCC features of modern image locos are one of the most important features on offer, so it's good to hear that you have opted to delay the models by a few more months to get them spot on, rather than having them delivered for this month and having unhappy customers. I am sure that they will be worth the wait. 

The air freight delivery option is also good, especially for those who would like their model/s guaranteed to arrive before Christmas. Can I ask how I select this option via the new Hattons Hobbies website? I have just taken a look and I can't see how to add this option. Or can it be added after clicking the pre-order button? 

I suspected that their would be some new additions to the Class 66 project. This is brilliant. When will you be announcing the new additions? I ask because I would like to know if it would be possible for the new additions to arrive by air freight in October as opposed to arrival by sea in December? Also, the earlier that you announce the new additions would mean that it would give myself and others more time to plan and allocate financially for them. I say this because I have a feeling that their will be several new additions, especially with all of the recent repaints of 66s in reality, meaning that these additions could be very costly. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

The air freight delivery option is also good, especially for those who would like their model/s guaranteed to arrive before Christmas. Can I ask how I select this option via the new Hattons Hobbies website? I have just taken a look and I can't see how to add this option. Or can it be added after clicking the pre-order button? 

I emailed Hattons with my order number and they added it to my order. I believe as mentioned above the option will be added to their website from tomorrow.

Regarding the early orders and features, I am sure they will all have the same ‘extra’ features as the ones that are coming by sea. We will all be getting the same features it is just that some will arrive early by air freight.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

What was the outcome of the colours debate? In particular the GBRf orange looking completely out, has this been corrected? 

I did raise this particular issue with Hattons staff at the GCR event at Quorn in June and was assured that it would be corrected .However,they will respond if approached.No one else is in a position to give a definitive answer to your concerns.....so just ask.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 17:07, JiLo said:

Nothing screams more of 'look at me' desperation than filming one of those

Yet I find them useful for:

1) Seeing exactly what I'll get

2) A review of the product

SOME unboxing videos are very much "look at me" - those that are narrated "look at this beauty"... "oh, she's lovely" ... "well worth the money folks" - BORING.

But then I am more about facts and figures than simply just looking at it.  How does it compare to something similar (in length, height...).  Are there any funny goings on with the couplers?

I did a short one of the J70, but it didn't go into any detail about the manual or this or that.

I unboxed, compared with the Bachmann Thomas Toby, gave it a whirl on the track and that was it.

Sam's Trains here ..... !!!

Not really, but I like his videos, to a point ...

I do use many of the unboxing videos to give me clues as to what to expect ...

Some do drag on ..... and on ..... and on ..... !!!

That's before the box gets opened and you even SEE the loco.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 10/08/2019 at 17:45, truffy said:

Nothing screams more of 'I've got nothing better to do with my life' desperation than watching one of those

(pretty much the same applies to model kit unboxings)

Kit ones can be useful as they show what's included and the quality of the mouldings. Just fast forward through the boring bits.

Jason

39 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Kit ones can be useful as they show what's included and the quality of the mouldings. Just fast forward through the boring bits.

Jason

I remember watching an aircraft kit unboxing, was sent the link.  The bloke filming it was fawning all over the place about how great the box was, quality of artwork how great the manufacturer was etc etc all the usual, except he didnt pick up on the fact that the parts on the sprues were for a completely different aircraft!

8 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Sam's Trains here ..... !!!

Not really, but I like his videos, to a point ...

I do use many of the unboxing videos to give me clues as to what to expect ...

Some do drag on ..... and on ..... and on ..... !!!

That's before the box gets opened and you even SEE the loco.

Al.

If I want to buy a new model, I'll look at photos of the model online - usually on here as the info is readily available, and compare to photo's of the real thing, then make up my mind, only if something jars then I'll look at read what other people are saying about it.  The, admittedly few, that I've seen, are a bit of a waste of time*, the person doing the review seems genuinely surprised that the wheels are round and has very little prototype knowledge.  One in particular said he preferred ooh-ooh gauge to four millimeter gauge as it was more realistic

* No doubt there are reviews where the presenter is very knowledgeable and can actually present a review without squealing like an excited piglet when finding out the buffers are sprung

Maybe I'm just old fashioned

Edited by JiLo

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, JiLo said:

* No doubt there are reviews where the presenter is very knowledgeable and can actually present a review without squealing like an excited piglet when finding out the buffers are sprung

Maybe I'm just old fashioned

If you want an excited unboxer - check out about 18.45 on this:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, newbryford said:

If you want an excited unboxer - check out about 18.45 on this:

Christ Mick.  Nice loco though!

Had to go to the start to see if the whole 18 mins to that point was for the same loco and it was, and furthermore, an unboxing unboxing vid.    

I think his next purchase needs to me a camera mount, it'd set your piles off trying to watch that for any length of time!!!

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

TBH, I prefer written reviews with good photos. I also prefer build reviews to unboxing, they at least give you an idea of how well a kit goes together OOB.

11 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

That would be most of it then; unless you actually watch the adverts. :)

Adguard FTW! :)

2 hours ago, truffy said:

TBH, I prefer written reviews with good photos. I also prefer build reviews to unboxing, they at least give you an idea of how well a kit goes together OOB.

But for those you have to buy magazines or search through pages of forums. These are freely available and easy to find on YouTube.

Relevant to Hattons, if not this thread, as I was looking for tanks to put on the Hattons Warwells. So I wanted to see the standard of the reissued Airfix tanks. In the end I bought a couple to try. A Churchill and a Cromwell. Both bought from Hattons.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Why unboxing videos anyway? A box is a box, surely the product inside is the most important. If ever there was anything that illustrates the pointless it’s an unboxing video. As robD2 rightly says....back to the Hattons machine. I wonder when they will announce the ‘extra’ features.....no froth yet either (thankful for small mercies).

36 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Why unboxing videos anyway? A box is a box, surely the product inside is the most important. If ever there was anything that illustrates the pointless it’s an unboxing video. As robD2 rightly says....back to the Hattons machine. I wonder when they will announce the ‘extra’ features.....no froth yet either (thankful for small mercies).

Some boxes make the Krypton Factor look easy, the Hornby 08 was my introduction to this level of complexity!

There is even one on how to dim the instrument lights on a VW Golf!

Mark Saunders 

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Why unboxing videos anyway? A box is a box, surely the product inside is the most important. If ever there was anything that illustrates the pointless it’s an unboxing video. 

Removing the packing has it origins in the stripper genre lol :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Some boxes make the Krypton Factor look easy, the Hornby 08 was my introduction to this level of complexity!

Mark Saunders 

Indeed! Not having bought any toy trains for almost a decade I had to watch an unboxing video to work out how to get into the current Hornby loco packaging for my shiny new Class 71.

Edited by spamcan61