Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

I imagine there is little incentive for Hattons to do this. Why should they provide detailing components for a directly competing product, especially as Hattons’ loco is being marketed as the more detailed model.

I assume there will be detailing parts or accessory packs sold as spares by Hatton's for their new 66?

I have seen a few 66s go by my house in France but still in EWS colours. I,m fairly certain from memory they have an air conditioning unit above the roof.

Would we be asking too much for Hattons to include a continental version? (Still in OO).

This seems to me to be something of a turning point. So far, retailers, Locomotion and Model Rail etc. have concentrated on niche prototypes that were less likely to be introduced by the big manufacturers. The Class 66 is mainstream. Feel sorry for the future of small retailers, who won't be able to sell these models. Is there any future for any but the very biggest retailers?

Unfortunately (for some), the whole market is changing rapidly.  Smaller runs from niche manufacturers, and production to ordered quantities seem to be the recent trends in modelling.  For model shops there are certainly problems looming, as modellers spend their money on models with a more diverse range of companies (the only choice is not to have a model that you want) - ultimately the money spent on "traditional" manufacturers products will decline, as the "cake" gets divided more and more. 

The Class 66 has been needing an upgrade for a number of years (I have said previously that I regard it as one of Hornby's greatest mistakes in not producing one after their superb Class 60- as they say "He who hesitates is lost").  Ultimately, Hattons have jumped on the opportunity, after the positive reviews that their other recent models have received.  From a modellers perspective it is fantastic news - a technically advanced and superior Class 66 for about the same sort of money that a Bachmann ones would cost (with 15% discount applied).  Announcing 30 variants at once - that is a brave move, as ultimately it will dilute interest in models, as people "pick" over a wider spectrum of models.  Likewise it would be nice if their was a Bulk Buy incentive, as that may entice modellers to purchase more than a couple!  It makes you wonder as to what production quantities we are talking of....Bachmann will only do 504/512 upwards, Hornby 250 up, so how many of each will be produced........

Other interesting thing tends to be, that Hattons have kept away from the one off liveries that have been announced as Limited Editions from other retailers.  Is that because they don't want to tread on toes, or because they think the Bachmann product has satisfied demand for these liveries.....   

Regardless, Hattons are surely on to a winner!

Regards,

C.

• Like 1

Although I’m pretty confidant that the Hatton’s 66 will be good I’m disappointed that they are duplicating what is already available rather than producing a model of a prototype has hasn’t yet been attempted by one of the big brands.

I won’t be buying, I already have two 66s and I have no need for a third!

• Like 1

When I saw the announcement this lunchtime I was impressed.

After the deflated announcement from Hornby at 10am this was a welcome sight for modern age modellers.

I have never used Hattons for purchasing anything modelling related, I prefer using a local model shop for that as the prices are always competitive with Hattons, rails etc.

But when a model like this comes up it warrants my interest and a pre-order, and I have never made a pre order before. I will still continue to use my local model shop for everything else.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Although I’m pretty confidant that the Hatton’s 66 will be good I’m disappointed that they are duplicating what is already available rather than producing a model of a prototype has hasn’t yet been attempted by one of the big brands.

And what prototype would that be then?

There are no more diesels to be done (apart from some of the very esoteric types) and as has been said before, the 66 is ripe for an upgrade. It is now a prototype with a 20 year history.

Hattons have been mostly reliant on product coming from the big two manufacturers, but If Hattons haven't got stock, they can't sell it.

Full credit to Hattons for taking an alternate route and their destiny into their own hands.

They have already proved they can "do their own thing" with the Barclay, P, soon to come Beilhack plough and RHTT/FEA.

I don't "need" any 66s at the moment, but I'm sure when the time comes, the next shed will have Hattons moulded underneath.

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

Never saw this coming, but it was a nice surprise.....

Now in the past when we have had multiple manufacturers models of the same prototype, the market doesn’t seem able to support all of them and we revert to two models only being available....

I’m thinking the class 47, Hornby/Bachmann/vitrains/Helijan

Class 37 Hornby/Bachmann/vitrains....

Someone somewhere is going to have to give ground....

• RMweb Gold

I don't see why they can't co exist if the price points reflect the detail. That's where Bachmann may struggle as they have their margin plus the shops to consider. Will that remain viable? I can't see me dumping my Bachmann ones but I'll certainly consider some of the liveries I don't have with the Hattons one.

I have seen a few 66s go by my house in France but still in EWS colours. I,m fairly certain from memory they have an air conditioning unit above the roof.

Would we be asking too much for Hattons to include a continental version? (Still in OO).

Surely an ideal after market add on there for someone :)

What could they have done then!!    As the Bachmann model is expensive with no recent improvements, I hope Hattons ask someone who knows about speakers and DCC before designing it!!     Charlie

• Like 1

I’m not sure what’s really wrong with the Bachmann one.

Yes , it’s 2005 tool but then so was the Hornby 60 and that’s still right up there.

Bearing in mind, 2/3 ews ones I brought off eBay for under £100 each , I’m wondering if the extra details would be enough time o entice £50 a shot out of me. I’m not bothered about rotating axles, I like the idea of no massive seam on the nose though....

And of course before we get all excited , it could be a pup..

I’m not sure what’s really wrong with the Bachmann one.

Yes , it’s 2005 tool but then so was the Hornby 60 and that’s still right up there.

Bearing in mind, 2/3 ews ones I brought off eBay for under £100 each , I’m wondering if the extra details would be enough time o entice £50 a shot out of me. I’m not bothered about rotating axles, I like the idea of no massive seam on the nose though....

And of course before we get all excited , it could be a pup..

I doubt it will be a pup!

Long awaited upgrade for this loco when you lay it alongside the Hornby 56 and 60.

If Dapol are the manufacturer this should be a superb model if it is the same standard of their outstanding class 68.

I think the pricing is reasonable if you look at the specification in Hatton Dave’s original post, especially this been the first off the shelf loco with independently controlled tail lights for DCC!

Well done Hattons - ignore all the negative comments, this is a really positive announcement.

John

Surely an ideal after market add on there for someone :)

Maybe, but there are 2 Euro Cargo versions. Strangely Hattons site shows the thumb pictures in the correct colour but as soon as you open them, the dark red turns to black!

If Dapol are the manufacturer this should be a superb model if it is the same standard of their outstanding class 68.

Someone else said that earlier and it has been addressed; it is not a Dapol product. Hatton's are dealing direct with a factory in China.

• Like 2

Interesting! I have 8 66s, some of which are in liveries which I doubt will he high up the agenda, but I could expect to replace my 'core' EWS, FL, GBRF and DRS in the first batch, and expand with 66705. Who knows, but I hope the model turns out great and it's a success.

• Like 1

And what prototype would that be then?

There are no more diesels to be done (apart from some of the very esoteric types) and as has been said before, the 66 is ripe for an upgrade. It is now a prototype with a 20 year history.

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers,

Mick

There were railways before diesels!

• RMweb Gold

Yes and Hattons have just done two original rtr steam models so are doing something modern to go with their RHTT and snowploughs which is a step up from the existing model in detail. Things like fully selectable lights, rotating axle ends, the full skirts with couplings and etch grilles on top of the updated chassis detail are significant steps forward to enough D&E modellers as this thread has shown ;)

In the modern era the choice is far more limited as Mick noted so it's impossible not to duplicate or risk going head to head with a small class like the 88.

For the next 5-10 years a higher spec 66 makes a lot of sense.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Quite - so suggest a steam (or any other) prototype that Hattons could do with duplicating that could be released in as many liveries as the 66?

If there's one thing that generates sales, it's another distinctive livery, not necessarily another number or minor livery variation.

I can't think of any steam loco class that even comes close to the variety of the 66.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Quite - so suggest a steam (or any other) prototype that Hattons could do with duplicating that could be released in as many liveries as the 66?

If there's one thing that generates sales, it's another distinctive livery, not necessarily another number or minor livery variation.

I can't think of any steam loco class that even comes close to the variety of the 66.

Cheers,

Mick

And, let's face it, a cornucopia of colourful liveries sitting in a display case or online really appeals to modern modellers. Already in this thread we have existing 66 owners salivating at new versions to come. A licence to print success, I'd say. 

• Like 1

A major limitation of the Bach 66 is the lack of provision of a knuckle coupler correctly placed in the bufferbeam, height matched to the knuckle coupler equipped Bachmann wagons such as the HTA. How about moulding a coupler pocket in the bufferbeam to accept one of the #17- #20 Kadees, with a blanking plug carrying a drawhook to conceal it?

I have added  Bach's EZ-mate knuckles through a bufferbeam cutout on my sole Bach 66 which operates a train of HTAs and this looks very well, not least because full end detail including airdams can all be present, the usual advantage of body mounting a coupler. To my great surprise, even with the couplers this far overheight, the Kadee track magnets still operate the auto-uncoupling too. I had thought it might be necessary to straighten the tails to get them 'in range' but this was not necessary they worked perfectly unaltered. Which was nice.

...I would think Bachmann, especially Hornby or other retailers would now cease releasing any further Class 66's, can't imagine them selling well off the back of this announcement...

Not so. This is expansion of choice. There will be a premium model from Hattons, and at least one of Bach and Hornby are likely to continue with their respectively competent and basic products.

A major limitation of the Bach 66 is the lack of provision of a knuckle coupler correctly placed in the bufferbeam, height matched to the knuckle coupler equipped Bachmann wagons such as the HTA. How about moulding a coupler pocket in the bufferbeam to accept one of the #17- #20 Kadees, with a blanking plug carrying a drawhook to conceal it?

I have added  Bach's EZ-mate knuckles through a bufferbeam cutout on my sole Bach 66 which operates a train of HTAs and this looks very well, not least because full end detail including airdams can all be present, the usual advantage of body mounting a coupler. To my great surprise, even with the couplers this far overheight, the Kadee track magnets still operate the auto-uncoupling too. I had thought it might be necessary to straighten the tails to get them 'in range' but this was not necessary they worked perfectly unaltered. Which was nice.

Not so. This is expansion of choice. There will be a premium model from Hattons, and at least one of Bach and Hornby are likely to continue with their respectively competent and basic products.

I agree in regards to Hornby continuing with their Railroad Class 66 but not in regards to the Bachmann Class 66 considering the superior Hatton's 66 will actually be cheaper to buy, who in their right mind would still by the Bachy?

I think the Bachmann 66 is done for in this respect in 2019 and beyond, they may still sell a few this year but personally I will not purchase anymore and will wait for the Hatton's release plus I've got 10 already which 8 are nice Limited Editions that will still take pride & place in my collection, the other two I will sell on.

Edited by classy52

I don't "need" any 66s at the moment, but I'm sure when the time comes, the next shed will have Hattons moulded underneath.

I don't need any 66s either, but I do love the idea of upgrading to this model rather than go through the expense of having to wire up lights and programme them to be able to work properly and light up as the Bachmann model should have to begin with.

Still, I reckon someone else out there will soon be doing 66044 in EWS...

• RMweb Premium

I .

Still, I reckon someone else out there will soon be doing 66044 in EWS...

Already done.

Complete with ribbed hoses, line across the cab front and one marker light out.....

post-408-0-18828600-1525859188_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5