Hattons Dave

Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Just watched the video and am very impressed, I wasn’t going to order a sound fitted one but I’m going to definitely get one now, probably go for 66789 

biff: regard the battery switch and key in function, euro spec 66s don’t have a removable key, just a flick switch in each cab so you don’t get the clunk as a key goes in, you flick the switch, acknowledge the AWS (which is also a completely different tone to normal) then the TPWS 4 Voice activates, if you want me to grab a recording on my phone to show you I will at the weekend 

The switches are the 2 above the engine start/stop buttons 

733FEFB5-7E49-49DB-B5EE-5D5D3F0ED22A.jpg

16 minutes ago, big jim said:

Just watched the video and am very impressed, I wasn’t going to order a sound fitted one but I’m going to definitely get one now, probably go for 66789 

biff: regard the battery switch and key in function, euro spec 66s don’t have a removable key, just a flick switch in each cab so you don’t get the clunk as a key goes in, you flick the switch, acknowledge the AWS (which is also a completely different tone to normal) then the TPWS 4 Voice activates, if you want me to grab a recording on my phone to show you I will at the weekend 

The switches are the 2 above the engine start/stop buttons 

733FEFB5-7E49-49DB-B5EE-5D5D3F0ED22A.jpg

Yeahh as above.

I recorded a eurospec at Hams Hall the other night funnily enough!

its a very clear recording as was so quiet out.  

if you read this bif and you want me to send it you let me know. Would certainly make it more realistic for those going for the later built locos.

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

So you want less switchable functions & more options? Sounds like a no-win scenario for Biff.

When I saw the operating manual, I thought it looked fun to operate.

Functions are no problem with the PowerCab & even if they were, would you complain that a 10 year old car does not have some of the options which have since become more readily available? You would be more likely to buy a newer one which has all the features you want.

The manual can be a little over-detailed, but the information is there: Reprogram the option button to 122 & F10-28 become easy to get at.

EXPN will show you which functions are switched on.

No, my point is that it doesnt need to be a switchable funtion because they do it automatically anyway, i have no control over it when i drive a 1:1 scale version either.

the option of having the other AWS/TPWS startup is hardly a no win,  1/3 of the GBRF fleet have it, not sure on other operators so it caters for those and helps really cement this as the ultimate 66 sound file.

• Like 1

Going back to the video, I wasn’t expecting to see Mick Newbryford at the start, thought I’d clicked on an episode of last of the summer wine 

76ADDBA2-AEF5-48CC-BEFA-574B0D2C4E36.png

37269D50-5D50-47B3-B684-0EC1C50519C5.jpg

Fully expected to see him hurtling past in a runaway bathtub by the end!

6AAC37E9-5FB5-44F5-8A5F-1BCCF5E2DD24.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 6

15 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

the option of having the other AWS/TPWS startup is hardly a no win,  1/3 of the GBRF fleet have it, not sure on other operators so it caters for those and helps really cement this as the ultimate 66 sound file.

I’m sure I’ve had a couple of DB 66s with TPWS4 fitted, that then of course needs a clunky key sound with TPWS4 Sounds 

also had a few with the auto start stop function enabled, Shuts down after a short while to reduce emissions then restarts when you put it in direction 

Edited by big jim

1 minute ago, big jim said:

I’m sure I’ve had a couple of DB 66s with TPWS4 fitted, that then of course needs a clunky key sound with TPWS4 Sounds 

Haha just to be awkward! 
hopefully they are able to fit another short file on there, as i would like to renumber one into 66763, would be a shame to go to that massive effort then miss off something so easy :-)

really looking forward to these!

Having read the last few postings it is clear to see there are people here who certainly know every last control on the seemingly endless sound variations  available. We are becoming increasingly expectant of models being so much like the real thing in both looks and sounds which is no bad thing. However it is clear the recent posters are heavily involved with the the real thing and therefore in a position of knowledge which is good because they can help Biff tweak the sound files. However, I think a note of caution is pertinent here. How many people who buy a 66 will be aware of all these nuance sounds, what they indicate and what 66 should and should not have them? Whilst I applaud the knowledge and the desire to get everything correct it could be construed as a form of rivet counting, because, as in all models there has to be compromise and whether the sounds triggered by the controller or come on randomly may be a compromise. Of course if Bif can take on board all this and change the sound profile accordingly all well and good, the only time a problem arises is when knowledgable people start to disagree with each other. Having watched and listened to the video the sounds are terrific. As one who knows little about TPWS4, radar hiss etc. I will be happy with what I have heard thus far. But reading the above is fascinating, and I for one would love to see more photos of the interior of these mighty beasts.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

I totally get where you are coming from, how do you know which loco has which particular set of sound, that’s something that us who work on them can probably over time furnish biff/Hattons with the info about as we get on particular locos, that way they could maybe produce a database of prototypical set ups for each individual loco in the range 

i suppose if your not completely bothered about authenticity and intend on buying a number of sound fitted Locos you could mix and match the sounds to get a nice variety running at the same time 

The database idea sounds like a good way forward Jim, then buyers who want a particular sound project, or their loco to have reblows with certain features could get them ‘customised’ You guys who drive the real thing (lucky ) are in prime position to advise on which 66 does what. I expect most purchasers will be happy with what they get but being able to individualise your loco will indeed make this a truly groundbreaking model. We in this hobby are enjoying some superb models, and with the level of input from people like yourself we are truly spoiled, long may it continue.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, 7013 said:

You guys who drive the real thing (lucky )

you missed the letters ‘un’ off the start of the last word! 

• Funny 6

I think Jims suggestion of a database is pretty good actually.

it might sound extreme, but this is a hobby of extreme.

i know a generic steam loco TTS on an A4 might work for a lot of people, but  60009 and 60010 had very different whistles, in preservation I can tell the difference between 70000, 70013 and 71000.

Without such knowledge and people to do it, the sound is lost... look how many locos “guesses” are made and extensive research is required to reproduce a type.... I’m not holding high expectations on GT3’s forthcoming sound and was very impressed with the Blue Pullman... but we dont truly know if the Western Pullman sounded exactly the same and probably never will now.

it might not matter to many, but engines have their nuances, some of WCRCs 47’s sound different to each other, without it you wont have a choice, but when you know and you can... to those that care its briliant...

i can give a slight tangent example round here my 9 yr old daughter gets excited over a 377/7 to a 377/1/2/3/4/6 .. why ? Shes learnt those ones have plugs, so she can charge the ipad.. extreme but it matters.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

I find the comments about sound variations interesting but at the same time amazing. No matter how many slight nuances there are to any individual members in a class of locos a model can never accurately sound like the real thing. The efforts of Legomanbiffo are to be applauded for attention to detail, the Hattons Class 66 video showing very comprehensive functions available. But it must be held in perspective that only a 1:1 locomotive has all the bass and resonances which  a real locomotive can produce,  so it is easy to be sidetracked into believing  this or that sound makes it completely accurate. I say this from  my experience of audio systems in a commercial application, both voice and music. I am a collector of models who does not run a DCC system however, so feel free to shoot down my observations!  Over to you. :music_mini:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Why not just compile a chart in a separate thread in the Dcc sound area and then all the drivers can add their knowledge and whoever creates it edit the first post to include all the variations? 

Seems a fairly simple chart and it’ll be on here where anyone can be directed to the first post. :) 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Why not just compile a chart in a separate thread in the Dcc sound area and then all the drivers can add their knowledge and whoever creates it edit the first post to include all the variations? 

Seems a fairly simple chart and it’ll be on here where anyone can be directed to the first post. :) 

Excellent idea.

On 09/11/2019 at 10:00, john new said:

I have 66957 on order for obvious reasons, unlike some of the other respondees I can't help thinking things are now getting seriously over complicated.

Despite the complications of the extra options, the video convinced me to splash out the extra for sound. Order updated.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Judging from your post count, you must have seen a fair few threads on here.

When was the last time you saw one which did not wander off-topic making any useful information impossible to find?

A forum is simply poorly suited to storing & retrieving information. A wiki is much more suitable but it has 2 drawbacks:

It is a separate entity which requires setting up & possibly also moderation.

Its purpose is that many can & should contribute. The format makes it really easy to do so...but they don't. Instead, most expect a handful of people to do all the updating, which is really annoying.

Just preordered the 2 Royal Scotsman locos. I wonder if the free air freight applies to international orders too. 

What's clear from those in the know, there are many variations in sub-class and even individual locos, which is very interesting. This must make life really difficult for those creating sound files.

Speaking as a very average modeller, I'm not about to get hung up over such detail, though I can't  deny I do like differing sounds from a loco class. As an example, on my old Scottish layout my 37/0s had a different start up to my 37/4s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Just preordered the 2 Royal Scotsman locos. I wonder if the free air freight applies to international orders too. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand the loco's will be transported via air from China to the UK instead of by ship. From there they'll be posted to the customers.

Edited by Ryan91
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

When was the last time you saw one which did not wander off-topic making any useful information impossible to find?

So you say it won't work either way as it requires people to redirect to it regardless? That's why I suggested a separate thread with the info edited in the first post to make it easy to find in future with a sensible title. I've used that several times successfully on other forums and as creator I took on updating the first post. I'm not that interested in the 66 sounds but those who do care about it might find it a useful idea ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

A forum is simply poorly suited to storing & retrieving information. A wiki is much more suitable but it has 2 drawbacks:

It is a separate entity which requires setting up & possibly also moderation.

Its purpose is that many can & should contribute. The format makes it really easy to do so...but they don't. Instead, most expect a handful of people to do all the updating, which is really annoying.

As someone who has been involved in IT for many years (both as part of paid for work and voluntarily for Societies) Pete's suggestion, provided there is a volunteer to keep the table up to date, is logical and sensible. The key for me, search for Class 66 and it will come up in the list; look for it logically it should be findable, in a way being directed out of the forum is not. KISS is always the best option to follow if it is possible to do so, Pete's suggestion is fully KISS compliant - "keep it simple stupid" for anyone not aware of the acronym.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, sirwilliamfrs said:

This is puzzling!

I think that's advertising when the stock and non air freighted models arrive. Although the addiginal liveries arriving before the initial batch of liveries is slightly confusing. 

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, john new said:

Despite the complications of the extra options, the video convinced me to splash out the extra for sound. Order updated.

I'm with you. That bl**dy video cost me an extra £105 per loco!! Hey ho, you can't take it with you....

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

27 minutes ago, Mooresby said:

I'm with you. That bl**dy video cost me an extra £105 per loco!! Hey ho, you can't take it with you....

Cost me £265 but you only live once so stuff it!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mooresby said:

1 hour ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Cost me £265 but you only live once so stuff it!  

I'm trying to make a sensible decision here. These two posts make it very difficult to say "No".;)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3