Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
On 16/11/2019 at 18:51, newbryford said:

I can't find any UK 66 operator using mirrors except EWS/DB. (BICBW)

Even the DB locos transferred to GBRf (66780-789) appear to have had them removed.

Cheers,

Mick

there was talk of them being put back on the GB locos 

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, stock_2007 said:

The Powerhaul livery looks good, I can just see it standing next to a Pink 'one' loco:crazy_mini:

The Powerhaul application does look good. 

In the case of 66504 above it is in it’s pretty much up to date condition with the updated Freightliner G+W company logos on the cab front and sides. This one being tidied up at Midland Road not so long ago after digits/original logos had faded/peeled away.

I seem to recall this also originally had a grey buffer-beam when first repainted which thankfully didn't last long.

Edited by chris37422
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

They look nice, any standard GBRf 66s to show us though? I think a lot of us are keen to see what the orange looks like, which was previously a questionable shade.

I too am a tad worries about this, the body sample of 66783 is too 'orange' yet what strikes me is the packaging now seen on 66504 page is very similar to Dapol's. I have found Dapol always get the GBRf orange (well it is actually called gold by GBRf) wrong, it would seem Hattons are using the same factory so this does not look promising. I am not ordering any 66 until I can see them by my eye and not on a screen. As perhaps it shall look fine in real world settings? If the factory has actually used the Pantone spec, it should be correct. If they have matched it to the closest RAL, it is going to be too dark. I have put these questions to Hattons Dave before without reply. A manufacturer who does not want to interact with customers, gives me more hesitation to want to give that said company a penny of my disposable income. I am worried about the GBRf colours on the 66s, if wrong. I just hope and pray Bachmann shall re-tool their 66 and offer throughout their retail network!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 159220 said:

I too am a tad worries about this, the body sample of 66783 is too 'orange' yet what strikes me is the packaging now seen on 66504 page is very similar to Dapol's. I have found Dapol always get the GBRf orange (well it is actually called gold by GBRf) wrong, it would seem Hattons are using the same factory so this does not look promising. I am not ordering any 66 until I can see them by my eye and not on a screen. As perhaps it shall look fine in real world settings? If the factory has actually used the Pantone spec, it should be correct. If they have matched it to the closest RAL, it is going to be too dark. I have put these questions to Hattons Dave before without reply. A manufacturer who does not want to interact with customers, gives me more hesitation to want to give that said company a penny of my disposable income. I am worried about the GBRf colours on the 66s, if wrong. I just hope and pray Bachmann shall re-tool their 66 and offer throughout their retail network!

I think they learnt customer interaction with the Genesis project, there's been many changes and the additional 6 wheel full brake because of customer feedback on here and elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, 159220 said:

I think they learnt customer interaction with the Genesis project, there's been many changes and the additional 6 wheel full brake because of customer feedback on here and elsewhere. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 159220 said:

I just hope and pray Bachmann shall re-tool their 66 and offer throughout their retail network!

The last thing Bachmann needs at this point is yet another duplicate high end model, they need to invest their tooling resources into a model where they can be the likely only option at the detailed end of the market.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann are highly unlikely to retool their 66 at this stage, what would be the point? Hattons have moved the 66 to its zenith really and Bachmann would be wiser pursuing other models. As has been pointed out, the Bachmann Cl 70 is a bit lightweight despite the detail, so that could be vulnerable to another retailer/manufacturer producing one up to Hattons 66 standard. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Bachmann are highly unlikely to retool their 66 at this stage, what would be the point? Hattons have moved the 66 to its zenith really and Bachmann would be wiser pursuing other models. As has been pointed out, the Bachmann Cl 70 is a bit lightweight despite the detail, so that could be vulnerable to another retailer/manufacturer producing one up to Hattons 66 standard. 

Digressing from the main item.

There isn't a lot wrong with the 70 apart from the weight. As there is very little room inside the body, this can only really improved by using a much denser material than mazak, and/or replacing the moulded lower solebar/framing with a cast one

There are however, ways of improving the haulage capability with careful use of magnets and steel plates.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

As you say, digressing, and meddling to the extent of iron plates and magnets obviously works, but is a bit OTT - I suppose that is what our hobby is in the search of realism.

I just found it disappointing when I had one, finding the Bachmann 66 had no problem with a big rake of bogie hoppers, but the so-called British-based railways powerhouse 70 couldn't touch it - so I sold it!

Back to HATTONS' 66 - not long to go now, and can't wait - should be excellent by all accounts, and several 'unveiling video' could be interesting.

If any of you out there do these, how about an 'independent comparison' between the 2, or more, particularly wrt performance - smoothness, slow, fast, load hauling?

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, 159220 said:

I just hope and pray Bachmann shall re-tool their 66 and offer throughout their retail network!

Why would they do that? There is no market for one.

If you want a high quality one & are prepared to pay, the Hattons one is suitable & has stolen the market from Bachmann.

If you are not prepared to pay that price & would accept a less detailed one, Hornby have a model.

There seems little point in doing an 'in between' one.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Just a query, is there anything different about the Freightliner Powerhaul liveried 66s and the 'normal' liveried Freightliner 66s? Or is it just to signify their different sphere of work?

6 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Just a query, is there anything different about the Freightliner Powerhaul liveried 66s and the 'normal' liveried Freightliner 66s? Or is it just to signify their different sphere of work?

This is just a newer livery applied on repaint and now superseded by Genesee & Wyoming house colours!

23 hours ago, 159220 said:

So unlikely that it's not worth thinking about.

Wasn't there a video about the GBRF colours?

I'm sure I gleened from that they even they (GBRF) changed the colour tone.  When it got sun bleeched, it seemed like no loco had the same colour tone.

• Like 1

If Bachmann retool their 66 just to 'compete at the same level' as the Hattons' 66, it will both confirm that they accept their current 66 is inferior and also consign their current 66 to the 'half-price brigade' as they won't sell any more.

I don't think it's that far off, it's a superb model, just that the Hattons' 66 has moved the level higher again.

The Bachmann is definitely NOT Railroad grade. It's far better than that, just not as good as the Hattons' seems to be ...

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple of close ups of the 66’s.

Large Logo Blue will be in stock next month, in batch 2 (which is mostly the newer liveries G&W, Pink one etc).

I do like the paint finishes on these, perhaps the DRS is a tad glossy but they’ve got these pretty much on to my eyes when looking at them in person

307B3583-8AF7-40C1-850A-76AA08E412F6.jpeg

1D255C8D-8272-4C85-A69B-76A72349C4B5.jpeg

5301E7A1-30E2-481F-9D05-8B591D707C54.jpeg

B627A371-830F-451D-995F-CE24E9219428.jpeg

56FC5A28-6E5C-416D-AB09-5C714FD7BFA4.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That GBRf orange still looks too dark, it will change in different lighting conditions I'm sure, but I'm not convinced it looks right, even if it is the correct shade.

Also, one end has a big gap in the front for the NEM coupling, if the front is one part, how does the lower valence bit get swapped over, if at all, for the correct solid piece?

33 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

That GBRf orange still looks too dark, it will change in different lighting conditions I'm sure, but I'm not convinced it looks right, even if it is the correct shade.

Also, one end has a big gap in the front for the NEM coupling, if the front is one part, how does the lower valence bit get swapped over, if at all, for the correct solid piece?

Going to say that I think shade for 66756 looks ok and as I have said before you need to check the GBRf 66s carefully as they were painted in batches. The main ones will be 66740 as that should be different to 66756. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I do not know enough about 66s to comment on shades of yellow/orange or the  alignment of foot steps etc. However looking at the detail on the bogies and the variations according to operator these locos look like they are going to be hugely popular. I have two on order and will be pleased as punch when they arrive. 

4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Bogie footsteps. There seems to be a somewhat random distribution of alignments with the bodyside step, in the above most useful selection of photographs posted by adb968008.

It's quite possible the ones on show today arnt the final production samples. In the photos that Dave posted on the previous page of final production samples they look to be in line.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

It's all in here and looks like a brilliant idea!  http://images.hattons.co.uk/mediaimages/General instructions - pdf.pdf

Edited by sirwilliamfrs
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, sirwilliamfrs said:

It's all in here and looks like a brilliant idea!  http://images.hattons.co.uk/mediaimages/General instructions - pdf.pdf

So if I’ve read that right only one coupling enabled end is supplied  plus a blank. How do we order the second coupling and slotted air dam so as to have a coupling at both ends?

Edited by john new
Typo