Jump to content

Hattons Dave

Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Recommended Posts

 
2 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

 I bought some etches for mirrors a few yrs back then discovered  when looking at prototype actuals that none I possess actually have them... 

 

I think that mirrors have only been fitted to EWS 66s - but not from new.

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking of mirrors, does anyone know when (what year) 66005 had them fitted please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Shoey said:

Talking of mirrors, does anyone know when (what year) 66005 had them fitted please?

 

Second half of 2006 if flickr pics are dated correctly.

( I searched 66005 and year)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

 

Second half of 2006 if flickr pics are dated correctly.

( I searched 66005 and year)

 

Thank you Mick. It’s a shame Hattons haven’t done half the batch with mirrors and half without. I plan to model 2008 onwards but may stretch back to 2006 (any excuse for another 66 right...?) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shoey said:

 

Thank you Mick. It’s a shame Hattons haven’t done half the batch with mirrors and half without. I plan to model 2008 onwards but may stretch back to 2006 (any excuse for another 66 right...?) 

 

A quick persusal of other random EWS 66s seem to show mirrors being fitted from about 2005 onwards

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' - ''Six locos were trial fitted in September 2004 and the entire (EWS) fleet soon followed. Other UK class 66 operators followed this safety led policy'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the liking the sound the 66 makes,at idle it has a Ying Ying as ive heard them described as that and the 59 as super Ying Yings,all the GM sound pretty much the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

On the liking the sound the 66 makes,at idle it has a Ying Ying as ive heard them described as that and the 59 as super Ying Yings,all the GM sound pretty much the same.

They deffo dont sound the same in person lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

They deffo dont sound the same in person lol

No the 59 is a different beast with four more cylinders,hand built and two thousand amps more in traction current,i just hope i live long enough to get a Dapol DB sound model,i guess they are waiting to see how the Hattons 66 turned out and will keep up or better its functionality.I take it you have driven both??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

No the 59 is a different beast with four more cylinders,hand built and two thousand amps more in traction current,i just hope i live long enough to get a Dapol DB sound model,i guess they are waiting to see how the Hattons 66 turned out and will keep up or better its functionality.I take it you have driven both??

The different displacement and exhaust setups help change the note too, aswell as having a mechanical engine governor.

then you have a 57 which is just a 12cyl version of the 59’s engine, but has a much different sound with a very distinct supercharger whistle to it.

 

yeah i have mate, the 59s are a beast!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No reason to believe the Dapol 59 will not appear, I have pre-ordered one. 66 and 59 will look good together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 7013 said:

No reason to believe the Dapol 59 will not appear, I have pre-ordered one. 66 and 59 will look good together.

Second quater 2020 by the latest news........heading for 4 years since announced,and its got plenty scope for liverys now

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alcanman said:

According to 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' - ''Six locos were trial fitted in September 2004 and the entire (EWS) fleet soon followed. Other UK class 66 operators followed this safety led policy'.

 

I can't find any UK 66 operator using mirrors except EWS/DB. (BICBW)

Even the DB locos transferred to GBRf (66780-789) appear to have had them removed.

 

Cheers,

Mick

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct, only DB/ EWS locos have ever had mirrors. Presume the text quoted mentions other operators in error by the author.

 

Jo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iirc the mirrors were added to accommodate withdrawal of class 08’s as yard shunters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, 

 

We are pleased to reveal a selection of final production samples for our Class 66! We have received samples for a number of liveries, including Freightliner Powerhaul - which has not previously been shown. 

1754477590_H4-66-006PS.jpg.07cb5d74fc4efe538886639d160dd242.jpg

H4-66-006 - 66097 in DB Schenker Livery - £150

51029861_H4-66-008PS.jpg.f1a79ee0f0965794ce19b48100e5f221.jpg

H4-66-008 - 66033 in Euro Cargo Rail livery - £150

572943600_H4-66-020PS.jpg.7e89fd79046b0c9c68199b6fa13b9856.jpg

H4-66-020 - 66504 in Freightliner Powerhaul livery - £150

1772058707_H4-66-031PS.jpg.d541c2e659d72170b87e8fc20b86c42a.jpg

H4-66-031 - 66789 in BR Large Logo Blue with GBRf branding "British Rail 1948 - 1997" livery - £150

 

With the arrival date drawing closer, we are excited to release our brand-new 66s and we hope you are looking forward to receiving them. 

 

Cheers, 

Dave

Edited by Hattons Dave
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They look nice, any standard GBRf 66s to show us though? I think a lot of us are keen to see what the orange looks like, which was previously a questionable shade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2019 at 18:51, newbryford said:

 

I can't find any UK 66 operator using mirrors except EWS/DB. (BICBW)

Even the DB locos transferred to GBRf (66780-789) appear to have had them removed.

 

Cheers,

Mick

 

there was talk of them being put back on the GB locos 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Powerhaul livery looks good, I can just see it standing next to a Pink 'one' loco:crazy_mini:

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, stock_2007 said:

The Powerhaul livery looks good, I can just see it standing next to a Pink 'one' locohttps://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_crazy_mini.gif

 The Powerhaul application does look good. 
 

In the case of 66504 above it is in it’s pretty much up to date condition with the updated Freightliner G+W company logos on the cab front and sides. This one being tidied up at Midland Road not so long ago after digits/original logos had faded/peeled away.

 

I seem to recall this also originally had a grey buffer-beam when first repainted which thankfully didn't last long.
 

 

Edited by chris37422
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

They look nice, any standard GBRf 66s to show us though? I think a lot of us are keen to see what the orange looks like, which was previously a questionable shade.

 

I too am a tad worries about this, the body sample of 66783 is too 'orange' yet what strikes me is the packaging now seen on 66504 page is very similar to Dapol's. I have found Dapol always get the GBRf orange (well it is actually called gold by GBRf) wrong, it would seem Hattons are using the same factory so this does not look promising. I am not ordering any 66 until I can see them by my eye and not on a screen. As perhaps it shall look fine in real world settings? If the factory has actually used the Pantone spec, it should be correct. If they have matched it to the closest RAL, it is going to be too dark. I have put these questions to Hattons Dave before without reply. A manufacturer who does not want to interact with customers, gives me more hesitation to want to give that said company a penny of my disposable income. I am worried about the GBRf colours on the 66s, if wrong. I just hope and pray Bachmann shall re-tool their 66 and offer throughout their retail network!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 159220 said:

 

I too am a tad worries about this, the body sample of 66783 is too 'orange' yet what strikes me is the packaging now seen on 66504 page is very similar to Dapol's. I have found Dapol always get the GBRf orange (well it is actually called gold by GBRf) wrong, it would seem Hattons are using the same factory so this does not look promising. I am not ordering any 66 until I can see them by my eye and not on a screen. As perhaps it shall look fine in real world settings? If the factory has actually used the Pantone spec, it should be correct. If they have matched it to the closest RAL, it is going to be too dark. I have put these questions to Hattons Dave before without reply. A manufacturer who does not want to interact with customers, gives me more hesitation to want to give that said company a penny of my disposable income. I am worried about the GBRf colours on the 66s, if wrong. I just hope and pray Bachmann shall re-tool their 66 and offer throughout their retail network!

I think they learnt customer interaction with the Genesis project, there's been many changes and the additional 6 wheel full brake because of customer feedback on here and elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.