Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Horrible things traction tyres!!

Stretch, go hard, crack, basically just wear out and locomotive loses performance.

This way is much better - more 'realistic'.

Imagine a 300g Hornby Flying Scotsman with traction tyres - featherweight, but no slip at all ...

Not a fan.

Al.

a voice of inexperience of European models.

ive a BR01 30 years old, on its original tyres.. bad quality to todays european standards.. but still way better than the 1980’s elastic bands in the UK... has none of the traits you describe.

i dont want to imagine a Hornby 1980’s scotsman... thats what gave tyres a bad reputation in this country.

I’ll be drawbar, amp,volt,weight, speed, drag  testing my Hattons 66 against this bad boy...Weighing in at 585g, start up at0.14a, peak at 0.38a.. 4 tyres over 6 axles.

2C1C263D-1F75-40EC-83FB-A35F6EB4DC76.jpeg.532230013b5708a9e33ca97ada3aa351.jpeg

spot the tyres..

5DE8E84D-0470-4118-AB5E-C33648F2DA18.jpeg

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

F

21 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

LHS (inner axle)?

Twin bogie powered?

Won't convert me.

I'll be interested to hear the outcome nevertheless.

Al.

Nice try, unfortunately no Brucie bonus in this round. :mellow:

13FBB208-07E3-4C7D-B41C-832AB4C49666.jpeg.60f9a9db25ba43e01bd5e98606249624.jpeg

its the outer axles, it is powered on all 6 axles.

The model, for its part, made by Sud-Express of the Stadler/Vossloh Euro 4000 (4250hp co-co version of the class 68), comes with two spare axles without tyres, for those who prefer without.

For UK outline the best diesel outline of recent memory was the Dapol class 52, I am confident the 66 will surpass that, I have a few US outlines, they pull.. but they consume power too.. the weight in some passes the 750g mark, but so does their motors at 0.8amp... remember most UK controllers start topping out between 0.8 and 1amp...

i’ll test it against Broadways SD40-2 for comparison also.. apt as the 66’s heritage (SD70) was in some ways its real world replacement... I do have a HO gauge class 66, by Heljan, though thats not Europes best model by a bit of a margin.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

when you mean secure.. you mean fixed to the axles, or non-rotating ?

On the one that was in my hands a few weeks ago, the rotating axle ends are fitted over small extension stubs on the axles.

How that will effect those that want to fit P4/EM wheels - I don't know.

I think that if the bogie sideframes ever need removing - say for pickup or gear maintenance - then they (axlebox ends) will need to be removed first.

Having said that, that's a minor trivialty with the loco.

For those wishing to fit DCC - and non-sound - the best results will come from fitting a 6 function (6x full output) decoder.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, newbryford said:

On the one that was in my hands a few weeks ago, the rotating axle ends are fitted over small extension stubs on the axles.

How that will effect those that want to fit P4/EM wheels - I don't know.

I think that if the bogie sideframes ever need removing - say for pickup or gear maintenance - then they (axlebox ends) will need to be removed first.

Having said that, that's a minor trivialty with the loco.

For those wishing to fit DCC - and non-sound - the best results will come from fitting a 6 function (6x full output) decoder.

Cheers,

Mick

i think we probably held the same sample.

It appeals to me seeing Hattons replicate a feature Proto 2000 offered 20 years back on a UK rtr outline. Whilst the boxes may come adrift in time, the visual appeal is stunning, so i’d rather it be there than not, but a supply of spare boxes might be a good idea if the proto 2000 ones are a benchmark.

Provided a locomotive is heavy enough and a wheelset without traction tyres is provided, it’s the best of all worlds. Traction tyres may be ugly and they may perish, as has been pointed out. What hasn’t been mentioned is that they also insulate. What also hasn’t been mentioned in relation to weight is that it also ensures a very good electrical connection between wheel and rail, especially if the tyres and rail are nickel silver. The way a well-designed modern diesel glides around on quite dirty track is very impressive.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 10:49, brushman47544 said:

Having viewed Everard Junction video, the 66 looks great. But is the EWS branding a bit light? Shouldn't it be the same weight as the number? Perhaps that will be corrected on the production versions.

Absolutely have the same concern, the EWS doesn’t look as heavy as the numbers, when in reality it is I think .

other than that I was well impressed with everards video.

A43A4295-511F-4585-B888-E96381E0422F.png

201F4548-903C-4611-90E3-5D0772FB1747.png

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks fairly good to me if compared to shiny new 66’s. Problem is the red has faded more than the ‘mustard’ making the yellow look darker these days. Look at Dapol’s 08 which looks to be the wrong colour altogether in photos as it seems to be the same as the warning yellow on the ends. 

Could just be the photos so putting it alongside a Bachmann EWS one would be interesting. 

• RMweb Premium

It has been said before and bears repeating. It is difficult to judge colour depth because of the light falling on the subject. The shots above are a case in point, the model 66 has been shot in very flat light conditions that make the colours look paler. Also the reflection/absorption of light from the colours has to be taken into account. The shot of the real loco has been taken in a shadow so there is no reflected light. It’s complicated and not worth getting too hung up on at this stage. Photograph your loco in different lighting conditions and you will see a myriad of differences.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 7013 said:

It has been said before and bears repeating. It is difficult to judge colour depth because of the light falling on the subject. The shots above are a case in point, the model 66 has been shot in very flat light conditions that make the colours look paler. Also the reflection/absorption of light from the colours has to be taken into account. The shot of the real loco has been taken in a shadow so there is no reflected light. It’s complicated and not worth getting too hung up on at this stage. Photograph your loco in different lighting conditions and you will see a myriad of differences.

Looking at rob D2's photos above, I hope we can all agree that the vertical line of the E in EWS on the model is thicker than the three horizontal lines, whereas on the real loco the vertical and horizontal lines on the E are the same thickness. That difference in thickness is replicated in parts of the other letters on the model and is what stands out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Looking at rob D2's photos above, I hope we can all agree that the vertical line of the E in EWS on the model is thicker than the three horizontal lines, whereas on the real loco the vertical and horizontal lines on the E are the same thickness. That difference in thickness is replicated in parts of the other letters on the model and is what stands out.

I agree. I knew the EWS letters didn't look quite right but couldn't figure out why. The W  is even more noticeable.

Like others, I'm eagerly awaiting this model but will look at reviews of the productions samples before buying. In the meantime, I've still got my old Bachmann 66 with correct lettering/numbers.

tywrd 12.11.15 001new.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

How easy to clip out the cab to fit a driver.. Or will Hattons ask the factory to fit drivers for us..? 

When I boxed the model back up I took a closer look at the cab interior.  It's actually very easy to remove being secured to the glazing by two small clips.

20191212_192321.jpg.82e23a71a44479da6f3e74cd12c51e67.jpg20191212_192402.jpg.e389dc389702307baff5c161c1c3dba0.jpg20191212_192413.jpg.5ba1c65d1733876975ee361b875fb8fe.jpg20191212_192432.jpg.32217b8d97ff7cbc4d6ddae5ea9dc696.jpg

A closer look at the axle boxes for those who are interested.

20191212_192048.jpg.038880d94221ede3e0ca6a1c044ad590.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, truffy said:

Nope, it was a pre-production sample. I think he just mentioned 'production' in his puppy-dog enthusiasm. But later he does note that, according to Hattons, the axle box problem will be fixed in the production version.

Often threads on RMweb discuss the problems of attracting new young blood into the hobby. I find Sam's enthusiastic presentation style a refreshing change from some of the monotone ramblings of other YouTube stars. To describe it as "puppy-dog enthusiasm" is unfortunate.

Keep making the videos Sam, I for one enjoy them immensely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

32 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

To describe it as "puppy-dog enthusiasm" is unfortunate.

Au contraire, it was deliberate.

I appreciate your view, Colin. But, IMO, he has a tendency to spout ********, simply for the sake of saying something. Case in point, he twice mentions production version in that video, it's only by reading between the lines that one realises that he's talking about the pre-production version.

Strokes, folks, different. Etc.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, truffy said:

Worse! 

Anyway. On a more positive note I have just ordered the large logo blue version of the 66. 

A Christmas present to myself.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, truffy said:

I appreciate your view, Colin. But, IMO, he has a tendency to spout ********, simply for the sake of saying something. Case in point, he twice mentions production version in that video, it's only by reading between the lines that one realises that he's talking about the pre-production version.

Strokes, folks, different. Etc.

21 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Worse! 

Anyway. On a more positive note I have just ordered the large logo blue version of the 66. 

A Christmas present to myself.

I'd rather wait for independent unattached reviews of the released production version where you will get an unbiased critique of the product rather from those who are in association with the supplier or manufacturer.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1