Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

I feel left out - I haven't had an email from Hattons........................

Do I care?

No - not really. There are more important things in life than a (in very simple terms)  bit of moulded plastic and metal.

It will arrive when it arrives.

• Like 2

Well, between the various arguments over the last few days about affiliates and pre-production models, I thought I had a good question to ask that would have got this thread back on topic, but I guess it'll now get lost in the cloud of 'Hey, mine's on the way......'.

Well, I'll ask the questions anyway.

What is the Hattons DCC chip they use, and can I easily find a suitable 3rd party chip for me to install?

I've ordered a sound 66 and also a plain DC 66 for me to put my own chip in. So I'm wondering now if I'd be better off having a DCC 66 for another £15 or to have the freedom to put my own choice of chip in. If I go the later route will I have a lot of trouble getting a suitable chip to match all the functions?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Well, between the various arguments over the last few days about affiliates and pre-production models, I thought I had a good question to ask that would have got this thread back on topic, but I guess it'll now get lost in the cloud of 'Hey, mine's on the way......'.

Well, I'll ask the questions anyway.

What is the Hattons DCC chip they use, and can I easily find a suitable 3rd party chip for me to install?

I've ordered a sound 66 and also a plain DC 66 for me to put my own chip in. So I'm wondering now if I'd be better off having a DCC 66 for another £15 or to have the freedom to put my own choice of chip in. If I go the later route will I have a lot of trouble getting a suitable chip to match all the functions?

The sound fitted locos will have the best selection of lighting functions by using the full capability of a ESU v5.

After that - for non-sound - a decoder with 6 full-power outputs is the best choice - not a 4 full/2 logic as some decoders are.

Hattons own DCR21 and DCC Concepts Z218 spring to mind.

A four function decoder will also work, but you will loose some options to switch with F keys - other than by internal switches.

(I will declare a vested interest in the 66 as I'm on one of their videos - I'm the one that's better looking than Bif and Ben Jones..............)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 4

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

The sound fitted locos will have the best selection of lighting functions by using the full capability of a ESU v5.

After that - for non-sound - a decoder with 6 full-power outputs is the best choice - not a 4 full/2 logic as some decoders are.

Hattons own DCR21 and DCC Concepts Z218 spring to mind.

A four function decoder will also work, but you will loose some options to switch with F keys - other than by internal switches.

(I will declare a vested interest in the 66 as I'm on one of their videos - I'm the one that's better looking than Bif and Ben Jones..............)

Cheers,

Mick

Thank you Mick for this information, I was contemplating the DCC Concepts Z218 or their newer Zen Black.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

As some of you have noticed, we've received the air freighted Class 66s and our team have been working through the night to get these packed up ready for despatch.

If you received an email overnight with your tracking information then they'll be picked up by Royal Mail or DPD today and I'd expect your tracking to start working from early afternoon when the packages start to progress through the delivery networks.

We've got a small amount of pre-orders left to process this morning which we're just about to start working through and we'll then focus on getting these packed and out the door to you all today as well.

Thanks everyone for your patience and I hope you all enjoy your models.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

32 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Morning all,

As some of you have noticed, we've received the air freighted Class 66s and our team have been working through the night to get these packed up ready for despatch.

If you received an email overnight with your tracking information then they'll be picked up by Royal Mail or DPD today and I'd expect your tracking to start working from early afternoon when the packages start to progress through the delivery networks.

We've got a small amount of pre-orders left to process this morning which we're just about to start working through and we'll then focus on getting these packed and out the door to you all today as well.

Cheers,

Dave

You've missed a trick Dave, it's only 5 days till the big man with the best delivery network ever does his once a year round the world drop.

He would have all your parcels delivered within 24 hours for free as long as you've been good

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

That the deliveries have started and are being despatched to customers is indeed good news, well done Hattons. I assume the sound versions are still on course for some time in January then, must contain my excitement a little longer. Hopefully we will et some photos/videos on the thread soon then.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The countdown to the first RMWeb member review has begun.........

Remember, we want to see unboxing, rivets being counted, full light shows, on track shots with obligatory run pasts, incline capacity and top cornering speed confirmation on 1st degree curves.

...and don't forget to criticize the livery application & colour as it appears slightly different under your particular lighting conditions :jester:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Morning all,

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave, 

Thank you for the update on the Class 66s. 

I haven't pre-ordered any models as of yet, as I don't with most models and most manufacturers as I wanted to see photos of the production models on your website. I have seen them, although for some reason most seem to have been removed now but I am questioning if the orange, yellow and black are the correct pantone colours on the Colas Rail 66847 & 66848 models. To my eyes upon inspecting the photos the black does look correct but the yellow looks too bright and the orange too dark for Colas Rail. However this could just be the lighting. I am considering buying both of these models so please could you confirm if the three main colours on the livery specifically match the pantone colours and that these colours are not just matched to the closest RAL colours? 

Thank you very much in advance and Merry Christmas! 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi Dave, 

Thank you for the update on the Class 66s. 

I haven't pre-ordered any models as of yet, as I don't with most models and most manufacturers as I wanted to see photos of the production models on your website. I have seen them, although for some reason most seem to have been removed now but I am questioning if the orange, yellow and black are the correct pantone colours on the Colas Rail 66847 & 66848 models. To my eyes upon inspecting the photos the black does look correct but the yellow looks too bright and the orange too dark for Colas Rail. However this could just be the lighting. I am considering buying both of these models so please could you confirm if the three main colours on the livery specifically match the pantone colours and that these colours are not just matched to the closest RAL colours? 

Thank you very much in advance and Merry Christmas! 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your questions. I can confirm that we have matched to the correct pantones for the Colas colours as well as to the real locos themselves.

We were fortunate enough to have access to 66847 as part of the sound recording process.

I hope this helps and Merry Christmas to you too!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, 159220 said:

Odd, as the Colas five were painted inside Eastleigh works using RAL...

Thanks for pointing this out. I was unaware that the five Colas 66s were RAL matched in reality as opposed to pantone. 

1 hour ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your questions. I can confirm that we have matched to the correct pantones for the Colas colours as well as to the real locos themselves.

We were fortunate enough to have access to 66847 as part of the sound recording process.

I hope this helps and Merry Christmas to you too!

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave. It's very much appreciated. 

In relation to the reply I have quoted above by 159220, please could you confirm if the Colas 66s produced by Hattons (66847 & 66848) will be RAL matched on the models as it appears that the five Colas 66s were in reality at Eastleigh Arlington Works. You mentioned previously that they were pantone matched, thus according to the information provided by 159220 this would appear to be incorrect. 

I will happily pay £150 each for models but I do want to ensure that the colours on each livery I buy will be 100% correct and accurate. I say this because I bought a Hornby Colas 56 in 2015 and Hornby got the Colas orange incorrect as it looks more red than orange on the side of the 56, thus I sold it on because I wasn't happy with the colour been so noticeably different especially next to other Colas locos by other manufacturers that did use all of the correct colours for Colas. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

Apologies, that's my mis-step there. 

We have used Pantones matched to the Colas colours which have then been approved by Colas Rail themselves.

I've just taken a very quick phone picture showing a comparison between our own 66847 and Bachmann's 37099 which I hope helps.

Colas.jpg.e021902c193899db8da8d202294cd1b6.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2