The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

Hi I'm Din. I like to game too.

I have a PC, Switch and PS4 all bought over time. The PS4's been bought most recently to catch up on a number of games of this generation that I missed, or because I want to be more comfortable when enjoying more story-driven games and my chair in the back where my PC is, is nowhere near comfortable enough. (even now, I'm on a cheap netbook to browse the net and forums).

Most recently I've been really enjoying playing Horizon: Zero Dawn. I love the world Guerrilla Games has built from it and the fighting style is great fun, requiring different strategies each and every different enemy the game throws at you.

I've sank my teeth into every Assassin's Creed Game from the start with the exception of Odyssey and enjoy the lore and idea of every conspiracy theory being the truth.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just finished playing 'Unravel'. I found it very melancholic, in a good way :)

I've also got 'Unravel 2', which I am waiting for a friend to be ready to play in co-op.

• Like 1

This'un grabbed my attention at the weekend:

It appeared on the PS4's homepage, which would be fine but there's no entry for it in PS Store, not even in the pre-order section! All I can ascertain is that it's PS4 exclusive and due for release in "Summer 2020". 

I'm interested because I'd really like a straight up Samurai title without the mystical gubbins and ludicrous Bosses common in many such cases. Sure I get the appeal of Sekiro SDT etc, but nah, vanilla no sprinkles for me please. 

C6T. 

1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

This'un grabbed my attention at the weekend:

It appeared on the PS4's homepage, which would be fine but there's no entry for it in PS Store, not even in the pre-order section! All I can ascertain is that it's PS4 exclusive and due for release in "Summer 2020". 

I'm interested because I'd really like a straight up Samurai title without the mystical gubbins and ludicrous Bosses common in many such cases. Sure I get the appeal of Sekiro SDT etc, but nah, vanilla no sprinkles for me please. 

C6T. 

Oh look, the Shogunate Japan game a lot of AC fans were asking for from about AC II.

GTSport's current season of 10 online races in each of two categories ended at the weekend also, I done alright I reckon. For a game I bought two and a half years ago, it's disc is rarely far away from the console and is my self justified reason to sustain my subs to PlayStation Network, so fair play Sony. I certainly don't begrudge the entertainment it has given me. Plus the pretty nifty livery and image capture tools don't hurt...

8286707979057661440_0.jpg.d386b620f0744fd78faad0922ed79e53.jpg

Away from the tarmac pounding, The Outer Worlds and Horizon Zero Dawn have been put on hold whilst I have another bash at The Last of Us (Remastered) prior to its eagerly awaited sequel in May.

Played it on PS3 previously but have bumped the difficulty level up a notch. Less resources available so not so much a killing spree as just trying to survive each encounter with baddies...still a terrific game, more so perhaps given the trepidation of wondering whether you've crafted the right kit for the next run in with those that'd do your onscreen compadres harm.

The light and dark between the bouts of tense any minute combat and just wandering about an apocalyptic wasteland obviously once lived in also highlights the superb dialogue writing involved...

Sorry, I'm rambling, but it's like renewal of a fondly remembered friendship that for some reason life got in the way of..?

C6T. 

• Like 1

Well, decided to give the final Tomb Raider game, Rise of The Tomb Raider a go. Quite enjoying it so far. As it's the actual "finished" game with the "definitive" edition I picked up hilariously cheap on sale. So all the bits they cut out and make you pay for again.

Martin is probably very, very cross. And likely having to do some (shudder) railway modelling at the moment...

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2020/02/11/destiny-2-taken-offline-again-after-players-lose-currency-materials

I've never played Destiny (or any other MMO for that matter), so I dunno what Bungie are up to, patches that don't work with or break incumbent code possibly. See Fallout 76.

There was a patch for GTSport on January 9th that they alleged fixed issues, however it also allowed bumper car punting off of competitors without penalty. Fixed recently thankfully. 

What concerns me friends is I wonder how much of a studio is employed making sure a game works online when perhaps they could be concentrating on the next title? A case of milking this cow as opposed to giving birth to a new calf...?

Hmm...C6T. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Martin is probably very, very cross. And likely having to do some (shudder) railway modelling at the moment...

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2020/02/11/destiny-2-taken-offline-again-after-players-lose-currency-materials

I've never played Destiny (or any other MMO for that matter), so I dunno what Bungie are up to, patches that don't work with or break incumbent code possibly. See Fallout 76.

There was a patch for GTSport on January 9th that they alleged fixed issues, however it also allowed bumper car punting off of competitors without penalty. Fixed recently thankfully. 

What concerns me friends is I wonder how much of a studio is employed making sure a game works online when perhaps they could be concentrating on the next title? A case of milking this cow as opposed to giving birth to a new calf...?

Hmm...C6T. 

Yes I was cross, about 2 minutes after getting a Lunar Triumph (Fallen Council) it loged me out, tons of weapon bounties on, and Lunar bounties.

So continued playing the Chloe Uncharted game (not as good as 4).

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Hmm...C6T. 

Fallout 76 is a hilarious mess and remains so. The Internet Historian did a pretty good video on Bethesda's utterly atrocious attitude to the whole saga of its troubled first year.

The main reason Fallout 76 breaks every time Todd Howard sneezes near a keyboard is because it's just the Gamebryo engine with a bit of shoddy net code slapped on top. It's why its so prone to being modded, hacked and everything in between. It has none of the protections that are normally built into a dedicated online game.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2020 at 07:49, Classsix T said:

I shall be keeping an eye on this, if BioWare's promise to revisit the Mass Effect franchise comes to naught, this could be its natural successor:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-31-ex-bioware-vets-working-on-story-driven-sci-fi-game-at-new-wizards-of-the-coast-studio

C6T. 

More on this:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-12-mass-effect-lead-writer-drew-karpyshyn-joins-ex-bioware-vets-new-wizards-of-the-coast-studio

C6T. 

2 hours ago, Din said:

Fallout 76 is a hilarious mess and remains so. The Internet Historian did a pretty good video on Bethesda's utterly atrocious attitude to the whole saga of its troubled first year.

The main reason Fallout 76 breaks every time Todd Howard sneezes near a keyboard is because it's just the Gamebryo engine with a bit of shoddy net code slapped on top. It's why its so prone to being modded, hacked and everything in between. It has none of the protections that are normally built into a dedicated online game.

I can't pretend to know the ins and outs of coding, online or not, but from what I read it's mainly the MMO's that appear to be plagued with grief which suggests to me a server-side problem. I do know that such issues aren't confined to PC gaming having read of DDoS nastyness with PS4 Mortal Kombat online tournaments.

I'm unsure though, does GTA & Red Dead Online modding/tinkering/dicking only affect the PC community (that have the ability to delve into the binary engine of the game), or can it ruin your session on PS and Xbox too?

I don't do any online gaming beyond GTSport races, but what concerns me is we appear to be heading towards a long awaited "nirvana" of cross platform online play (which of course makes a lot of business sense) but if the games don't play right is gonna cheese off not one but multiple boat loads of gamers.

C6T. 

29 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I can't pretend to know the ins and outs of coding, online or not, but from what I read it's mainly the MMO's that appear to be plagued with grief which suggests to me a server-side problem. I do know that such issues aren't confined to PC gaming having read of DDoS nastyness with PS4 Mortal Kombat online tournaments.

I'm unsure though, does GTA & Red Dead Online modding/tinkering/dicking only affect the PC community (that have the ability to delve into the binary engine of the game), or can it ruin your session on PS and Xbox too?

I don't do any online gaming beyond GTSport races, but what concerns me is we appear to be heading towards a long awaited "nirvana" of cross platform online play (which of course makes a lot of business sense) but if the games don't play right is gonna cheese off not one but multiple boat loads of gamers.

C6T. 

It tends to only break the PC side of things generally, but as a lot of developers are now pushing hard for cross-party platform support it can potentially cause future issues as you can push the PC side of things and its specs a lot harder than you could on the consoles.

• Informative/Useful 1

Oh, in other news, Sonic movie released tomorrow. If you haven't read a gaming website review yet I'll save you the bother...ahem.

"We're 30+ years old and we don't like it".

Hmm, like the last three Star Wars then cos you aren't ten years old..?

I did however concur with this closing paragraph from Oli Welsh on Eurogamer, which is right on the money, not just for game to film projects but the continuing pilfering-of-culture-for-profit Hollywood is guilty of. (Ladykillers, Judge Dredd, Get Carter, Italian Job et al.) 

"It's not that the Sonic movie is bad, although it's certainly not good. It's that it was a terrible idea from the start. It's a formulaic cut-and-paste job from a Hollywood so starved of intellectual property that it will try making a movie about any recognisable character it can get its hands on - without asking who he is or why people liked him in the first place."

Whether your 3-7 year old offspring will agree with that synopsis is open to debate. Apparently it's doing OK on Rotten Tomatoes. I'll personally not go out of my way to see it until its fed to me, but then I don't have anklebiters demanding to see it. So, meh.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Premium

Not so good news (for me). It seems my XB1X has truly died. It had been having problems since mid 2018 with saving game saves on the internal HDD (even though the games were on an external HDD), seemingly related to heat issues. I opened it up, and the capicitors that had been mentioned as troublesome looked perfectly fine. I tried to install an SSD to see if that would reduce problems by cutting down on heat, but it didn't. I couldn't even get games to properly install on it.

So I spent too much money on a day one XB1X (Scorpio Edition) and it failed less than two years later. M$ have seen fit to completely ignore users on this so no refunds or decent cost (i.e., nothing) repairs.

With my original PS3 also having died from heat issues several years ago, it has made me very resistant to the idea of any next generation console now. I may even be at the end of my serious gaming life (not that it was that serious anyway) and may just eek out what I can from the XB1S that I now use until I can't be bothered to game anymore.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Our original PS3 had a YLOD and it was not that much more to get a bigger capacity slim, so did that.

Launch PS4 fried the PSU (cable issue) and was replaced very quickly, we still have that.

Cooling is the answer to console life.

I always leave a console to cool before powering off.

• RMweb Premium

Just had a good winning streak on Destiny Crimson doubles with a son.

We won one match by him damaging with Beloved, I finsh with Graviton Lance, the explosion injured the other player, and Jack TLWed them.

A few weeks ago I got two kills one shot with the explosion.

Found out through experiments.

2v2 Titan, Solar, Breakneck, Graviton Lance, Hammerhead

Mayhem, voidwaker.

Control Solar Hunter

Been weapon testing, I much prefer rifles as I am too old to use hand guns well.

Good in PvP

Breakneck (run often with GL)

Arbalast

Outbreak Perfected

Trust

Erentil FR4

Loaded Question

Uriels Gift

Hammerhead

Best for ME in PvP

Blast Furnace

Graviton Lance

Recluse

Annoyingly not good despite being great in PvE

Bad Juju

Thunderlord

Bad Omens

Top end weapons I struggle to use

The Last Word

Thorn

Revoker

On 13/02/2020 at 18:31, Classsix T said:

Oh, in other news, Sonic movie released tomorrow. If you haven't read a gaming website review yet I'll save you the bother...ahem.

"We're 30+ years old and we don't like it".

Hmm, like the last three Star Wars then cos you aren't ten years old..?

I did however concur with this closing paragraph from Oli Welsh on Eurogamer, which is right on the money, not just for game to film projects but the continuing pilfering-of-culture-for-profit Hollywood is guilty of. (Ladykillers, Judge Dredd, Get Carter, Italian Job et al.) 

"It's not that the Sonic movie is bad, although it's certainly not good. It's that it was a terrible idea from the start. It's a formulaic cut-and-paste job from a Hollywood so starved of intellectual property that it will try making a movie about any recognisable character it can get its hands on - without asking who he is or why people liked him in the first place."

Whether your 3-7 year old offspring will agree with that synopsis is open to debate. Apparently it's doing OK on Rotten Tomatoes. I'll personally not go out of my way to see it until its fed to me, but then I don't have anklebiters demanding to see it. So, meh.

C6T. 

Sonic's enjoyed a $100m opening global weekend, knocks the (apparently god awful) Birds of Prey pap into a cocked hat and returns DC to its usual losing streak when it comes to movies and is being hailed as Jim Carrey's best performance since his heydey of the 1990s because he was apparently allowed to ad lib again, something many directors stopped him from doing in his recent film runs to the point he barely did anything.

I might go see it with some friends for the nostalgia kick as we all grew up with Mega-Drives and playing it.

I think these Naughty Dog Easter eggs must've largely passed me by when I played The Last Of Us first time around, I'd certainly not played a Nathan Drake title at the time, brought a wry smile to my face yesterday though...

_20200217_082147.JPG.1c7d05784e94014568d22829c9db1ffe.JPG1657104413_PSCommunities_20200217_020118.jpg.d1a84e2493aaf2715d078770f970d0c3.jpg

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
Less muddy picture
  • Like 1

I bought a PS3 just so I could play The Last of Us; still the only game I have for that console. Great game.

If anyone here likes incremental games (cookie clicker, kittens game, etc.) and also railways (above average chance of that here), I've started writing a little Railway-Builder incremental game. If you'd like to give it a go, it runs in the browser: https://ticklishhoneybee.github.io/ClicketyClack/

Still quite early in development, but some friends have been playing it, so you should get some fun out of it.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2020 at 19:20, Ian J. said:

Not so good news (for me). It seems my XB1X has truly died. It had been having problems since mid 2018 with saving game saves on the internal HDD (even though the games were on an external HDD), seemingly related to heat issues. I opened it up, and the capicitors that had been mentioned as troublesome looked perfectly fine. I tried to install an SSD to see if that would reduce problems by cutting down on heat, but it didn't. I couldn't even get games to properly install on it.

So I spent too much money on a day one XB1X (Scorpio Edition) and it failed less than two years later. M$ have seen fit to completely ignore users on this so no refunds or decent cost (i.e., nothing) repairs.

With my original PS3 also having died from heat issues several years ago, it has made me very resistant to the idea of any next generation console now. I may even be at the end of my serious gaming life (not that it was that serious anyway) and may just eek out what I can from the XB1S that I now use until I can't be bothered to game anymore.

My sympathies Ian.

I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to suggest what to do, rule one applies, natch, it's your money. 

Personally I've invested so much rewarded time and effort into games that I couldn't envisage not having something with a Sony badge on it to facilitate easy access detraction from real life. That isn't meant as a measure of us as people of course, I'm equally devoted to music and films.

Your tale of hardware woe has made me realise how fortunate I have been over time though. Having bought a launch day PS2, Asda new PS3 and a pre-owned PS4, only the PS2 has been occasionally reluctant to boot games. Being well out of warranty though I found out taking the case off and wiping the laser lens with a lint free cloth would resolve the issue.

I was told one model of Xbox had a failure rate of around 66%. That's appalling, in any industry.

If I was to give any advice, should you wish to continue gaming, the release later this year of fifth generation consoles will likely see the prices of previous generation consoles drop considerably, in both the pre-owned and store shifting (new boxed) dust collecting stock.

Best regards, C6T.