The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember that the original didn't set the heather on fire, but it was a semi-enjoyable romp. Quite short single player from memory and the multiplayer wasn't worthy of the name game...

I didn't hold on to it for long, which probably says it all.

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rather to my surprise Project CARS 2 isn't making me feel ill in VR (although I'm working up from the slow ones), and gives quite a visibility advantage when it comes to seeing where other cars are.

• RMweb Premium

Been playing the PS+ PS4 version of Borderlands Pre Sequel. A bit of a grind fest.

Need some more shooting game recommendations.

Peeded off with Destiny series, and I picked up a ban for suggesting Stadia users to go Steam or Console to avoid control lag.

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, MJI said:

Need some more shooting game recommendations.

Peeded off with Destiny series, and I picked up a ban for suggesting Stadia users to go Steam or Console to avoid control lag.

You naughty man Martin! Seems harsh though, hardly the most offensive thing ever suggested online... 

You don't specify the stylee of shooter you're after, but you could give the aforementioned demo of Homefront a bash. 

PS4 players at least have the ability to turn off cross play in CoD Warzone, also free initially.

Did you download Titanfall 2 when it was available on PS+?

A few other free to play and demo's in the Store, which at least won't cost you anything before you make your mind up.

Let us know how you get on, C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Reorte said:

Rather to my surprise Project CARS 2 isn't making me feel ill in VR (although I'm working up from the slow ones), and gives quite a visibility advantage when it comes to seeing where other cars are.

Yeah, quoting my own post, sorry! I've now found where I do get a twinge - Paddock Hill Bend at Brands Hatch. If it's going to happen it's going to be on a cracking corner like that. Have to try Spa and see what Eau Rouge does to me! There's the classic circuit and the Lotus 49 included...

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

You know how a rail/wheel/flange interface works, right?

I think I drive my friends nuts when I point out all the obvious (to me) faults with the portrayal of railways in games. I don't think I've seen a single game get it remotely close yet!
Which reminds me of part of a video I made after a friend and I played The Division 2. I won't link the video (there's a lot of swearing and such), but even my friend pointed out how absolutely clueless the devs are; I'm amazed considering he has absolutely no interest in railways whatsoever! He absolutely laughed his arse off about it which brought me so much joy. Anyway, here's a still image that about sums up our observations:

Untitled.jpg.3399a5117b892e5f27461817463a3a66.jpg

And is that a UK style wagon behind a North American (or similar) locomotive (minus tender)? The mind boggles, but I suppose if you rush through the game as most people do then maybe you'll never notice? Oh, and rail chairs? What the hell are they?!

Oh, and if you ever think about playing The Division 2; don't bother, it's an absolute waste of time. Same as the first game, but less atmosphere, copy/pasted levels/environments, and about as much soul and love in that game as... well... I think you get the idea. Oh, and the inventory system is the worse I've come across... Luckily, we never actually bought it!

Edit: I just got called a "nitpicky nitpicker" on my Discord channel when I showed them this image. I suppose it is being nitpicky (especially compared to everything else that is fundamentally bland or rubbish in that game), but still; I'd love for developers to pay a little more attention to the details!

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

And is that a UK style wagon behind a North American (or similar) locomotive (minus tender)? The mind boggles, but I suppose if you rush through the game as most people do then maybe you'll never notice? Oh, and rail chairs? What the hell are they?!

Sometimes it's OK to give the lack of chairs a pass - the number of them quickly adds up, each with its own geometry and texture. With a large stretch of track leaving them out may well be a reasonable compromise for performance. With a small bit it doesn't say much for attention to detail.

14 hours ago, Classsix T said:

You know how a rail/wheel/flange interface works, right? Mmm, the guys at Homefront: Revolution, yeah not so much.

Must be running very short vehicles as well to get around the corner without fouling the wall, that's not a very generous  loading gauge!

I've sometimes seen crossings blocked like that in Train Simulator of all things, although in that case I suspect everyone involved knows they're not supposed to be like but are working against some limits of the software in trying to get certain track formations in at all. It's also hit and miss if you get chairs in that too . You're more likely to on newer routes where better performing computers are assumed, although only on plain track. The software there's old, so it probably doesn't have the ability to work them out for points and crossings and placing them manually for an entire route (if it's even possible) would be a very laborious job.

Missing out check rails at crossings seems to be a very common failure.

Edited by Reorte

16 hours ago, Classsix T said:

You know how a rail/wheel/flange interface works, right? Mmm, the guys at Homefront: Revolution, yeah not so much.

RNFetchBlobTmp_ryx0q3sjahij7wfdrn9pda.jpg.722be4d9f3b78bf8c4666aca06f05e93.jpg

C6T. 

The right wheels are obviously flangeless... :)

Edited by talisman56

Sit'rep.

A fortunate double delivery yesterday meant I could get all the current kit plugged in and test the hi-fi gear.

DSC_0092.JPG.2aa6fbbe1b2209eab50c38d3ff3a0173.JPG

You can make out one of the 8-way trailing sockets showing the USB ports. Plugged in to one port is a 8cm micro fan, visible to the left of the Stormtrooper's head. The PS4 was formerly sat where the 8-way is but moving stuff around meant putting the PS2, 3 (missing from pic but will sit upright alongside the 2) and 4 inside the same 13" box, far from ideal for keeping the consoles cool. So I've cut ventilation holes in rear and top of the box (made for vinyl storage) and fitted the fan to get the airflow moving. The PS5 will need a new home elsewhere when it arrives.

I also tret meself to a pair of speakers, so I managed to get the amp, turntable and tape deck up and running.

_20200517_180859.JPG.b5848debd40cb70dcd8752e55dc01825.JPG

The amplifier is right as ninepence, tape deck is a little reluctant to play tapes but not beyond hope (could be "tight" spools). As expected by its bulletproof reputation, the 1210 is a-ok, apart from the 0% pitch control LED doesn't light up. Sh!t!

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium

Project Cars 2 has a couple of point-to-point road circuits. There's a south of France one, fictional but based on real places in general style (the signs suggest it starts in Cannes but it's definitely "inspired by" rather than accurate). I spent 15 months in that area so decided to pootle along the course at vaguely legal speeds instead of racing. I was doing this in VR where the low resolution makes reading the signs a little tricky, so pulled up to see one clearly (trying to see what real place it was based on) and found myself reaching down for a non-existant handbrake... it's been a while since VR had that effect on me!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I am currently playing all my old PS+ games.

On Mad Max, OK game, fun to clear things, a game using similar mechanics to games like Far Cry series.

One really good bit

RIGHT HAND DRIVE CARS

I also saw a No 6 piccie above.

Many years ago I built a Lotus 7 model kit up as the one from the TV prgramme for a friend

• RMweb Gold

I’ve managed to get some power lien adapters to work between the house and man cave so the Xbox one is hard wired now and soooo much quicker, previous WiFi download speeds were something like 0.5 mbps and now I’m getting 17-20 mbps 

doms going to put his PS4 in there too and I need to set up the spare switch dock again, the only other thing I need to buy is an Ethernet splitter so I don’t have to keep changing the cable between the Xbox and PS4 

As the layout is getting to a point where most of the woodwork is done the man cave is now in a better position to be used as a gaming room too as were not falling over big bits of wood and work benches 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure what I've just done but...

image.png.479d0ef91fc803100dd537f436802553.png

Login to Epic games before 4:00pm 21/5/2020 and you can get it for FREE!

Kev.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

...free except for the 94GB download overhead!

I've paused it due to my son complaining about the bandwidth again...!

(Must remember to restart the download when I retire for the night.)

Kev.

QUIZ TIME!

What the hell is this?!

_20200518_201641.JPG.6a6c837a380a46bf9cdcad0cfcadb1f4.JPG

I found it in the bottom of a carry box for 12" records along with a microphone and other leads.

The small jack indicates a hole for reception of same. Connected USB lead other end, no buttons or other moving parts (even though it looks mouse like). Possibly a LED indicator between the lead and surface dimple. Text on reverse reads "Supplied by JOYTECH".

I'm thinking some sort of signal converter, but I can't for the life of me think of any kit I used that had a USB periferal for it. I have music sampling software for the Amiga and PS2 but neither have USB ports, nor have any of the DJ mixers I've owned!

I thought I'd let you all have a go before I either resort to Google or stumble upon the box or manual! 

C6T. 

Apparently I failed to remember that the PS2 has not one but two USB ports, on the sodding front to boot!

Codies were Publisher of MTV Music Generator 2 and released a separately available USB sampler (with a crappy looking microphone) thus:

OWRjNjdkMWU0ODhmOGExOWVmN2NlZWQ0MjE0NjZjYWHpIxCjeZ2ksNeW3WxqqfKMaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMDY0-HA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg.fa4fd5da117c10ecc61934858745d0b1.jpg

I can attest that unfortunately neither the sampler or the game included talent, hence my inability to bother the music industry unduly.

C6T. 

• Funny 1