The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

On 24/05/2020 at 00:54, fezza said:

Lockdown encouraged me to dust off the old ps2. Anyone remember these - all brilliant sports games still as good as anything since... 

Richard Burns Rally

Gallop Racer 2

Cricket 07

EA Rugby 08

If you want to try them they are usually about £1 online... a great cheap distraction to get through lockdown. 

Richard Burns Rally is astonishing - some drivers reckon better physics than Dirt Rally 2 even! 

Do you have a "fatty" PS2 or a slim? I only ask as my release date bought machine seems very picky about which disks it will boot.

I've not gone through my entire library but for example Deus-Ex and Tenchu Wrath of Heaven will launch no problem. XGIII Racing is dead as a door nail and Atari Anthology sometimes requires the disk ejecting and another try.

I have had the case off to wipe the laser lens, a cotton bud with IPA has been suggested but I'm reluctant to use any liquids thus far. I'm sure part of it is down to condition of the disks, either on the surface or worse, the dreaded disk rot.

Whilst I wouldn't begrudge a charity shop a quid for a non-working disk, try before you buy or some guarantee of the disk's integrity recommended I think. Statutory rights still apply to pre-owned software right?

C6T. 

Mine is the old fatty version. Strangely I've had more problems with Ps3 discs than Ps2. I think only one of my PS2 discs have failed. I suspect some of these sports games have now reached cult status and been played thousands of times so some will get scratched or damaged. According to archivists, CD and dvd discs are only expected to have an operational lifespan of 10-15 years. Some of these are now nearly 20 years old so I tend to feel pleased when they work rather than get too disappointed when they fail. There are still a lot out there at places like CEX and CEX will refund any that don't work. You usually pay 50p - £1 for ps2 games. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Gaming related proud dad moment for me today.

My son has been involved in the e-sports scene for several years now, first playing COD competitively online and at LAN events, then starting and running several teams (Devious and Mythos being the last two) and more recently he has been getting into writing about the scene.

Today saw the release of a new, digital format gaming magazine and he has had two features published in it. They are the ones by Matt Dixon covering E-sports in 2020 and the rise of FIFA.

https://www.level-one.co.uk/issueone/?fbclid=IwAR0Q0qp1gWvysYkDPKMLfeLTN7hFKYcmwhRKQd0gc8IfS7SILSXuqWds_kg

I hope that link worked. I'm reallly happy that he has gotten into this, even though i'm not sure how it came about. He had no real interest in creative writing at school and at Uni he was doing a computer science degree before changing to a business management degree when realised progamming wasn't for him. I know when he leaves Uni after he finishes next year his ulitmate job would involve e-sports in some capacity. Anyway, i'm feeling really proud of him today, and if anyone is involved in the scene and has come across FozZii before, that's ma boy.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, StevieD71 said:

Gaming related proud dad moment for me today.

My son has been involved in the e-sports scene for several years now, first playing COD competitively online and at LAN events, then starting and running several teams (Devious and Mythos being the last two) and more recently he has been getting into writing about the scene.

Today saw the release of a new, digital format gaming magazine and he has had two features published in it. They are the ones by Matt Dixon covering E-sports in 2020 and the rise of FIFA.

https://www.level-one.co.uk/issueone/?fbclid=IwAR0Q0qp1gWvysYkDPKMLfeLTN7hFKYcmwhRKQd0gc8IfS7SILSXuqWds_kg

I hope that link worked. I'm reallly happy that he has gotten into this, even though i'm not sure how it came about. He had no real interest in creative writing at school and at Uni he was doing a computer science degree before changing to a business management degree when realised progamming wasn't for him. I know when he leaves Uni after he finishes next year his ulitmate job would involve e-sports in some capacity. Anyway, i'm feeling really proud of him today, and if anyone is involved in the scene and has come across FozZii before, that's ma boy.

Hip Hop and video games? I'm in!

Thanks for the link Steve, I'll put aside some time to give it a proper read through, but off to a good start by giving Marc Ecko's Getting Up some limelight.

Congrats to your lad, games journalism isn't an easy career, but for those passionate about what they write about, I'm full of admiration.

C6T. 

• Thanks 1

How does that phrase go, you wait ages for one analogue to digital signal converter to turn up...

DSC_0099.JPG.af406265dad279dc6b6314aa1df1e223.JPG

I sort of remember buying this one though. I think it's still bagged because on the face of it it wasn't Mac compatible. I suspect however that it'll probably plug n play like many periferals even if Apple hardware isn't mentioned in the manual. Drivers? Pfft.

C6T. 

I couldn't say if it's anything to do with next month's D-Day anniversary but WW2 aficionados are well catered for by PlayStation Network and Store currently. 

CoD WW2 is available early as (one of) next month's PSN subs downloads and Season Passes for both Sniper Elite III & 4 are on sale.

I think Sudden Strike 4 and the Pacific campaign pack for Air Conflicts is also reduced but I already have them so didn't pay too much attention.

C6T. 

LOUNGE HINTS & TIPS #53

Like many of today's space starved computer users, are you looking for a neat storage solution for micro floppy disks you've had since the mid Nineties? Simply wait about 25 years for Sony to produce a specific model of smartphone and use the lid of the box!

Constructed from sturdy card, this apparently made to measure packaging item offers an environmentally responsible alternative to the plastic everything was made of back when micro floppies were a relevant data storage medium. Additionally the base of the box can be recycled too (dump the contents in rubbish rubbish) the planet thanks you Sony!

_20200529_071645.JPG.15f1b0d00342092d384d278d028e3e55.JPG

On the next LH&T we'll explain in depth how to solve the pressing issue of disk library separation dividers. Until then, you'll want to keep those Kronenbourg 1664 beer mats you've had for the last five years or so handy! End of line!

C6T. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

I certainly wasn't in any hurry to directly pay any considerable amount for SW Battlefront 2, but I'll give its single player campaign a whizz seeing as PSN are offering. 

Just checking the download was progressing, surprised to see the game weighs in at a hefty 115 of your Earth giggerwhasnames. Blimey! 

Lounge regulars will remember the string of posts we had wrt file sizes and storage a while ago, my fat file list currently looks like this:

RNFetchBlobTmp_rq689nelrobbknvpsgcyuq.jpg.82db16b2bc6135ef43444eef4c9aea5e.jpg

It'd seem RDR2 is starting to look the norm rather than the exception.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium

TSW itself's not been going for all that long! And they're still putting out lots of content for Train Simulator! That link gets blocked from work (can't look at anything about games - blocks "hobbies" too normally so not sure how I can get on here!), is there an explanation? It strikes me that there's a lot of work still to be done with TSW before it's time for a new game (I've been waiting for some steam before I'm interested).

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Dovetail announced TSW 2 yesterday: https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/about-trainsimworld

C6T. 

Looks good, free downloads of existing add-ons purchased and an LU route to boot.  Lovely.

What I'd really like is for new routes to interlock with existing, such as The Brighton line, or West Coastway, for the existing East Coastway, for instance.

That said, it's great we have such a thing on the PS4 at all, and to such a good standard.

best

Scott.

19 hours ago, Reorte said:

TSW itself's not been going for all that long! And they're still putting out lots of content for Train Simulator! That link gets blocked from work (can't look at anything about games - blocks "hobbies" too normally so not sure how I can get on here!), is there an explanation? It strikes me that there's a lot of work still to be done with TSW before it's time for a new game (I've been waiting for some steam before I'm interested).

If you've not had chance to look at the Dovetail site yet, there's a FAQ section, first of which is this:

"Why Train Sim World 2?

Train Sim World 2 is a new simulator for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4, separate from any previous Train Sim World experience.

We need to bring Train Sim World forward, and by advancing the engine and evolving SimuGraph® we can add new features and more types of train simulation.

Train Sim World 2 includes high speed and longer freight for the first time, and sets our future sights on Steam Engines, Multiplayer and more.

New features include:

Scenario Planner

In-game Livery Designer

Adhesion Physics

Preserved Collection for Add-Ons

New Dovetail Live features including Driver Logbook, Online Debriefs and Railfan Shots

Immersion Features

German High Speed

The London Underground - Bakerloo Line

Sand Patch Grade – arriving on consoles for the first time and bringing significant gameplay upgrades for PC."

So basically Unreal wasn't cutting it. I'm with you and am rather perplexed about the marketing strategy with this.

For example, an early August release date is slated, right around the time us peasants are gearing up to splurge on our next-gen console of choice. No mention of PS5 or seXBox in Dovetail's blurb. (Now a cynical person might suggest they're getting the game in early to circumvent Sony's July 13th recommendation.) Not having a next-gen release would be commercial suicide.

Taking that into account, plus the fact they're trumpeting steam loco's, multiplayer (!) etc, but not launching with any of that, this looks like a rushed lite beta version of the core code to me.

Why not finish the game properly and have a big fanfare launch next year? Very odd. And yes, of course I'll end up buying it, but it won't be in August for sure.

C6T. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I'll buy it when steam comes along. Or perhaps older diesels (although there are already some of those for TSW). High speed I couldn't have less interest in, although it does at least hold the promise of longer routes (not much good having high speed if you barrel from one end to the other in five minutes).

VR would be something I'd really like to see and a natural fit for a train simulator.

Had a quick blast of SWBF2 this afternoon, great fun. I can't help thinking perhaps Electronic Arts missed a trick here in not keeping the single player and MMO shooter as separate titles.

I'd have very likely bought the single player game three years ago had it been a fully fledged story based Star Wars canon romp, and not come attached to an online tear-up coupled to loot box/microtransaction/pay to win controversy. Still EA's loss, don't weep for them, I hear they're doing fine thankyouverymuch.

RNFetchBlobTmp_aepeizz7i2jaq7f302z9.jpg.467838ace1f676f04211e1426f626fb9.jpg

RNFetchBlobTmp_hgntj3ifk4w9pov16g2egq.jpg.aaf1f29cc67b3d21dc53b088e1cbb702.jpg

RNFetchBlobTmp_bbzwmz0w0d9lztmrc7vhgb.jpg.507e6417279d7ec33a321ec89278b175.jpg

RNFetchBlobTmp_st3a0z6s5pd0kgzwyec7f.jpg.04fc464a5441beee9b2f127f964e2761.jpgRNFetchBlobTmp_3bm3fg8bxwkmgjf7uf3tqm.jpg.64645619767f0bea2f5e9433590710ec.jpg

RNFetchBlobTmp_0fprkqzein1jh5ppo9g8vbq.jpg.81f182048e167ea5b40e912a951a8ea0.jpg

C6T. 

• Like 2

On 11/06/2020 at 06:54, Classsix T said:

So basically Unreal wasn't cutting it.

Apparently they're upgrading from Unreal 4.something to 4.something bigger! And it needed a ground up re hash so version 2 is born.

Here's the first TSW2 Q&A live stream.

The new (though sadly only interim) community guy seems very good, only letting Matt have yes or no answers (TSW sessions have previously been full of maybe, we'd like to, perhaps, one day, etc... Leading to much community disappointment when maybes didn't happen). I'm positive at the moment, hopefully it means the current stuff that will still be useable in TSW2 will end up being reduced, because it does feel expensive for what it is, especially when on Steam DTG have a virtually permanent sale but on Xbox naff all. They've previously blamed Microsoft, but seeing some of the bargains I've picked up in the store in the past, and even recently, it doesn't wash with me.

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Unreal 5 may be coming, based on ray tracing for the likes of the PS5, XBSX, Nvidia, AMD, etc. If so, then that will probably require a rework of the graphics code to use it.

• Thanks 1

Appreciate your input Jo, really. But with everything going on around Dovetail, new hardware and a fully updated game engine on the horizon, I still don't see what can be gained by releasing (a version of) TSW2 in August. Especially as it'd seem TSW2020 still has "legs".

But that's just my opinion, I wish them well naturally.

C6T. 

I didn't know about the PS5 July bit until you mentioned it, but the cynical person I am would have to agree! It doesn't seem a seismic leap over TSW, there were a lot of "no" answers to some pretty fundamental fixes over the old game in the video, so why does it justify the whole game thing? 

The Dovetail model is to charge through the nose for DLC and to update the base game every year. Hence the original Kuju Railworks as it was back then, is fundamentally still going as Train Simulator over a decade later!

Apparently the boss man is ex EA, whether that influences their business practises or not...

• Like 1

Eeeeewoooow - pew pew -

Kachooom!

From the good folks responsible for the single player part of SWBF2, including the thoroughly enjoyable space battle bits...

Out October 2nd, PS4/Xbox/PC, VR compatible for PC and the Sony console.

C6T. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Proper game, but I bet it still won't compare to 'X-Wing', etc., on PC, which felt like proper space flight sims as you had the keyboard to handle all sorts of settings. On console that will have to be overly simplified to suit the limited number of buttons...

I’ve just preordered my digital copy of F1 2020 Schumacher edition. Am actually very excited about the new ‘My Team’ feature as well as having a go at the new racetracks that won’t appear in real life this year