The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

13 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Viewing the trailer in the second part of this, my concern is that as with everything else these days, you'll be able to buy your way to modding your spacecraft to a higher spec.  Richest guy wins...

They seem quite keen to point out gear will only be unlockable in-game, avoiding accusations of pay-to-win mechanics. As long as its purely the cosmetic elements that'll be monetised, I won't have a problem.

Worth remembering that various Governments are keeping a very close eye on such things including introducing age ratings for games deemed to contain elements of gambling ie loot boxes and such. EA will be keen to avoid any more Select Committee meetings (without biscuits) I should think.

At the moment I'm more concerned about the first person view, barrel rolling your ship through tight spots means you're going to have to be pretty spacially aware if you want to come out the other side with your "wings" still attached!

C6T. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

At the moment I'm more concerned about the first person view, barrel rolling your ship through tight spots means you're going to have to be pretty spacially aware if you want to come out the other side with your "wings" still attached!

C6T. 

I get the feeling that it's this kind of cockpit game that would suit VR perfectly, as you can stay seated, but would be able to look around naturally while playing and not have to compromise controlling the ship/plane/car in order to use different controls to look around.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

They seem quite keen to point out gear will only be unlockable in-game, avoiding accusations of pay-to-win mechanics. As long as its purely the cosmetic elements that'll be monetised, I won't have a problem.

Worth remembering that various Governments are keeping a very close eye on such things including introducing age ratings for games deemed to contain elements of gambling ie loot boxes and such. EA will be keen to avoid any more Select Committee meetings (without biscuits) I should think.

C6T. 

I hope you're right, but that's certainly not how it works in EA's FIFA 20...

Best

Scott.

• RMweb Gold

On another note, I downloaded Battlefront 2 last night since a) it's one of this month's free offerings and b) it has a single player campaign which apparently has a decent story, to boot (although different reviews...well, differ.)

I've since become aware of a DLC for the campaign that was released in December, "Resurrection" I believe.  However, I can't find it in the PS store. Was it not released onto PS4, or have sonny removed it?  I understand it was a free DL.

Best

Scott.

37 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

I hope you're right, but that's certainly not how it works in EA's FIFA 20...

Best

Scott.

The phrase "may contain in-game purchases" seems to be attached to every game in the PlayStation Store, which leads me to think it has become an oft trotted out catch all arse covering exercise.

I don't know the fundamental legality of all that, but I think pay-to-win is being investigated. An article on US investigation and possible legislation here

An interesting snippet of that article reads (my bold):

"International jurisdictions have responded in various ways to the new gaming features. Regulators in the Netherlands and Belgium have determined that loot boxes constitute gambling and are therefore prohibited, while the United Kingdom Gambling Commission determined that loot boxes are not gambling and declined to regulate them as such. The European actions were largely in response to the "player packs" available in EA's popular "FIFA" soccer games, in which the celebrity players are only revealed after purchase, much like packs of physical sports trading cards (which, in fact, have also faced charges of gambling and demands for regulation in the past)."

So we could see a future in which the player's locality could affect the way the game functions?

I think most savvy adult gamers know the score wrt the way monetisation works, especially with sports titles (and their need to fund licensing deals etc). Electronic Arts already have previous experience of public outrage that forced it to fundamentally alter Star Wars Battlefront 2. Bear in mind also, the SW license is due for renewal quite soon and Disney certainly won't want any negative publicity attached to their IP.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

The phrase "may contain in-game purchases" seems to be attached to every game in the PlayStation Store, which leads me to think it has become an oft trotted out catch all arse covering exercise.

I don't know the fundamental legality of all that, but I think pay-to-win is being investigated. An article on US investigation and possible legislation here

An interesting snippet of that article reads (my bold):

"International jurisdictions have responded in various ways to the new gaming features. Regulators in the Netherlands and Belgium have determined that loot boxes constitute gambling and are therefore prohibited, while the United Kingdom Gambling Commission determined that loot boxes are not gambling and declined to regulate them as such. The European actions were largely in response to the "player packs" available in EA's popular "FIFA" soccer games, in which the celebrity players are only revealed after purchase, much like packs of physical sports trading cards (which, in fact, have also faced charges of gambling and demands for regulation in the past)."

So we could see a future in which the player's locality could affect the way the game functions?

I think most savvy adult gamers know the score wrt the way monetisation works, especially with sports titles (and their need to fund licensing deals etc). Electronic Arts already have previous experience of public outrage that forced it to fundamentally alter Star Wars Battlefront 2. Bear in mind also, the SW license is due for renewal quite soon and Disney certainly won't want any negative publicity attached to their IP.

C6T. 

Thanks, that's interesting and I suppose tentatively encouraging.

I wasn't aware of those rulings.  I wonder how that affects us in the future though, the publishers will want to recoup that lost revenue from "loot boxes" et al, in much the same way banks started charging for other things once Credit Card charges, etc, were outlawed.

Best

Scott.

3 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

I wasn't aware of those rulings.  I wonder how that affects us in the future though, the publishers will want to recoup that lost revenue from "loot boxes" et al, in much the same way banks started charging for other things once Credit Card charges, etc, were outlawed.

Best

Scott.

Perhaps the best way would be subscription charges for on-line multiplayer? Though as console owners already pay to do so (even if currently they choose not to actually play), would undoubtedly mean much gnashing of teeth.

I dunno, I don't think the Governments have an objection to the Pub's making money, they just demand transparency in how they go about it. And if you think about it, I don't think it's beyond reasonable that the Publisher does make some profit if a player is enjoying the entertainment they're supplying, if only to maintain the service. Just don't be a dick about it.

C6T. 

48 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

On another note, I downloaded Battlefront 2 last night since a) it's one of this month's free offerings and b) it has a single player campaign which apparently has a decent story, to boot (although different reviews...well, differ.)

I've since become aware of a DLC for the campaign that was released in December, "Resurrection" I believe.  However, I can't find it in the PS store. Was it not released onto PS4, or have sonny removed it?  I understand it was a free DL.

Best

Scott.

If you go into the add-ons pane on the SWBF2 page, "Celebration Edition Upgrade" released 5/12/19.

However, I believe it just contains the collectables that only have function in the online game. No additional story content. Glad to be proven incorrect however.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I dunno, I don't think the Governments have an objection to the Pub's making money, they just demand transparency in how they go about it. And if you think about it, I don't think it's beyond reasonable that the Publisher does make some profit if a player is enjoying the entertainment they're supplying, if only to maintain the service. Just don't be a dick about it.

C6T. 

Absolutely I don't disagree, but the removal of loot boxes won't solve the "Richest person wins" problem I'm talking about, if they just change it to say "£10 gets you double cannon power for 30 days" or some such ilk.  (I maybe exaggerate, but you know what I mean).  It removes the gambling issue, but it doesn't remove the lack of level playing field issue.

best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

Absolutely I don't disagree, but the removal of loot boxes won't solve the "Richest person wins" problem I'm talking about, if they just change it to say "£10 gets you double cannon power for 30 days" or some such ilk.  (I maybe exaggerate, but you know what I mean).  It removes the gambling issue, but it doesn't remove the lack of level playing field issue.

best

Scott

Wouldn't that be more an issue of ranking and matching though Scott?

A surefire way to hemorrage people who want to play is to move goalposts and tilt the field. They're going to have their work cut out to ensure the cross play doesn't go the same way as  COD Warzone as it is.

Still, as you say, time will tell.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Wouldn't that be more an issue of ranking and matching though Scott?

A surefire way to hemorrage people who want to play is to move goalposts and tilt the field. They're going to have their work cut out to ensure the cross play doesn't go the same way as  COD Warzone as it is.

Still, as you say, time will tell.

C6T. 

Yeah probably.  I'm not convinced the matchmaking to equivalent abilities actually happens or works as it's intended, to be fair, but that's maybe just a reflection on my lack of abilities or lack of willingness to integrate into an "everyone for oneself" online "team" culture. 

That said, I've been matched with FIFA players who were way above my capabilities on a regular basis, to the extent I've ceased even playing online, so I don't know.

I'm certainly no conspiracy theorist, so I suppose the system obviously works sufficiently for the publishers to persist with it or it wouldn't still exist; so they can't be losing too many players; and I'm just a dinosaur that needs to find other interests. 

RDR2 single player is an absolute boon to me.  Working at my own pace, being immersed in it and learning a few things along the way to boot.  So maybe I will just stick to that kind of thing.  and TSW.  and Uncharted.

Unfortunately, as creative as TLOU1 was, it actually gave me nightmares ("click-click") to the extent I've never finished it, so I can't see me entertaining Mk2.

Apologies, we've drifted from the point slightly.

Best

Scott.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2020 at 11:42, scottystitch said:

RDR2 single player is an absolute boon to me.  Working at my own pace, being immersed in it and learning a few things along the way to boot.  So maybe I will just stick to that kind of thing.  and TSW.  and Uncharted.

Unfortunately, as creative as TLOU1 was, it actually gave me nightmares ("click-click") to the extent I've never finished it, so I can't see me entertaining Mk2.

Apologies, we've drifted from the point slightly.

Best

Scott.

Not a bad time to be a PlayStation owner with a penchant for single player story driven games actually Scott.

A reminder (if anyone needed it) that Ghost of Tsushima releases on the 17th next month, a title that appears to have at least some similarities with RDR2 and Horizon Zero Dawn. Control is currently on sale, a game that garnered much praise and many awards on its release. Also on sale for a ridiculously small amount (again) is the fantastic Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

C6T. 

More from Urb-Ex Zombie Killer 2...

RNFetchBlobTmp_b364o4m7cjqfx4pp7nrf8v.jpg.3001f71e9a3f60c0ca56ac1c126dc329.jpg

RNFetchBlobTmp_k4c4achmdjsw1fzrrcow1q.jpg.191be4decff03526179c6d98d02afb3b.jpg

...those rails look suspiciously shiny for stock that appears to be laid up...and without any spikes, moving those vehicles is probably not a good idea anyway.

Still not seen the Space Needle (or UFO stuck in chewing gum) on the skyline of post apocalypse Seattle, so expecting to stumble upon it eventually, somewhat closer to street level than originally intended. 

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Agree 1

Now these are really odd. Imagine sort of UK prototypes, for export, via a Google image search. And the legal department have made it very clear they cannot look like actual real life locomotives...

_20200629_162102.JPG.3ca5f48fee6c8375d1c0c41d9eb7ddeb.JPG

_20200629_162310.JPG.cc5ccc0cc3bb1f482d58117f2623647b.JPG

_20200629_162348.JPG.3d129655cb3090bf160c47da1420903a.JPG

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
On 29/06/2020 at 16:30, Classsix T said:

Now these are really odd. Imagine sort of UK prototypes, for export, via a Google image search. And the legal department have made it very clear they cannot look like actual real life locomotives...

_20200629_162102.JPG.3ca5f48fee6c8375d1c0c41d9eb7ddeb.JPG

_20200629_162310.JPG.cc5ccc0cc3bb1f482d58117f2623647b.JPG

_20200629_162348.JPG.3d129655cb3090bf160c47da1420903a.JPG

C6T. 

Deltic with 40 bonnets

Portugese 50

Ha! Not even pretending to be a Spoon!

There's at least one other Brio setup I've found, and a lovely little Dungeons & Dragons tabletop.

I managed to "break" the game today. Went somewhere that Abby probably shouldn't and the graphics went all wonky. Serves you right Naughty Dog for making me look for coins all over the place.

_20200701_212230.JPG.a3c916bc3a7f5b289871a55df9f03f59.JPG

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold

I've finished it, it was spectacular and harrowing in equal measure. I do not agree with the review bombings which I would speculate have a large quantity of thinly and not-so-thinly veiled homophobia and bots/trolls attacking large titles (especially to encourage snowball effects) to sow discord as with The Last Jedi.

Ended up taking me 30 hours, but then I did clear every single room and every area I could, also in Downtown I made sure I explored everything before I left the area. Interesting how a lot of Uncharted 4 and 4a's mechanics were re-used with a different spin on them.

I think in terms of brave SP stories it's up there with Spec Ops: The Line. I'm not that keen to play it again for a while, think I need some RDR2 to unwind!

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 1

I'm loving it, couldn't care less what the haters say. Yes, I've a couple of gripes but as a work of fiction it's equally gripping and touching, as a computer game it's a masterpiece.

I've rarely got as much scare the pants off you 'fun' with a stealth-em-up as I have when there's Stalkers about. Superb.

C6T. 

• Agree 1

Close up of the gem of a find Corbs unearthed in TLoU2 

RNFetchBlobTmp_2le1oqf4odb07v1yw8e0mge.jpg.e119c7932aac650718643a2489e6fbab.jpg

Multi working socket and UK ole warning stickers as well! To the right beyond the blue tarp is what I believe to be a Freightliner 66, check the roof profile and cab door rain strip.

C6T. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I saw reports that Battlefield 1 was having a bit of a resurgence, due to players being dissatisfied with Battlefield 5, so I reinstalled it yesterday. I had a quick go this morning and was happy to find that the quickmatch conquest map I jumped into was well populated, so it will be getting a bit of a hammering over the weekend.

On 26/06/2020 at 10:31, scottystitch said:

Best

Scott.

More on possible UK legislation here.

The pre-order price of Squadrons on the PlayStation Store is £34.99, which suggests to me a single player campaign is not going to be the main thrust (arf!) of this release more's the pity.

For that sort of money it's hard to believe the Devs have spent a great deal of effort to write, script, mo'cap and voice a significant story led computer game.

Indeed, I'd go as far to say they are possibly wringing dollars from existing SWBF2 code and rather than release it as DLC for that game, they've decided to punt it out as a standalone franchise filler (á la Uncharted/TLOU).

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T