Locos at Cuckoo Junction

jonny777

I would not bother people with this subject, but I have just acquired a signalbox register for Cuckoo Junction for 1954/55 with loco numbers; and I am like the cat who has got the cream. 

However, on June 12th 1954 there is an entry for 63987 which is a Retford O2. I thought that it might be using the line to Welland Bank Junction as a turning triangle, but am informed that the Spalding cut-off was not ins use at this time. 

Why would an O2 be at Cuckoo Junction in 1954, even as a light engine?

• RMweb Premium

I would not bother people with this subject, but I have just acquired a signalbox register for Cuckoo Junction for 1954/55 with loco numbers; and I am like the cat who has got the cream. 

However, on June 12th 1954 there is an entry for 63987 which is a Retford O2. I thought that it might be using the line to Welland Bank Junction as a turning triangle, but am informed that the Spalding cut-off was not ins use at this time. 

Why would an O2 be at Cuckoo Junction in 1954, even as a light engine?

A long shot, but might have dropped off wagons etc. for recovery work of the Bourne - Essendine track which closed in 1951. Not sure how long after closure the track remained in-situ however, but this could be a possibility. Does the register give any other possible clues e.g., what bell code was used?

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the bell code is 2.3 which I understand as light engine.

Perhaps I should have asked this in my first reply, but does the register give a clue on which direction the LE was going, e.g. "accepted from", Up or Down line?

Regards, Ian.

Edited by iands

This is another mystery.

Many of the to/from bell codes are either SO or LO and I am unable to work out where they refer to. 63987 is entered on the down register with the bell code 2 3 to SO. 

I have just received one of the excellent reprinted WTTs (no association - just a satisfied customer) from http://wttreprints.uk/index.html

Unfortunately, the 1954/5 versions are not available, so will have to make do with the Sep 1953 version - unless Ebay turns up trumps. 

However, my triangle theory is not altogether out of the running, because there are a few trains which are not listed as visiting Spalding station - the 1345 Birmingham to Yarmouth Beach in the down direction; and the 0900 Yarmouth Beach to Birmingham and the 1600 Yarmouth Beach to Bourne in the up. 

Those three are allowed 3 or 4 minutes for the Welland Bank Junction to Cuckoo Junction section. 

• RMweb Gold

This is another mystery.

Many of the to/from bell codes are either SO or LO and I am unable to work out where they refer to. 63987 is entered on the down register with the bell code 2 3 to SO. 

Spalding and Lynn ? - Cuckoo Junction was a double junction (from Spalding and Lynn) which then lead into a single line to Bourne.

Diagram on this page

http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Hall_Royd_Prototype/Signal_box_diagrams.html

Then (ca 1900) and now

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=52.7771&lon=-0.1833&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Yes, that could be it. Thanks. 

I had not thought far enough east to have Lynn as an option but it does make a lot of sense. I will need to go through some of the register details to see if it fits with the through and local workings in the timetables. 

• RMweb Gold

I've just answered a question on Facebook regarding a lever plate for No.5 signal requiring 13:,12 and 10 levers - fits in perfectly with Cuckoo Junction, presumably a collection of memorabilia is/was being sold.