TOPS HUO Hoppers Now Available

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if it’s been asked I’ve had a search.

I've tried to pull the wheels out on mine to EM gauge. The wheels look like they would be ok to do so but they’re such a tight fit I just can’t get them to budge? Has anyone else had any success? Any tips please.

cheers.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Delamar said:

Sorry if it’s been asked I’ve had a search.

I've tried to pull the wheels out on mine to EM gauge. The wheels look like they would be ok to do so but they’re such a tight fit I just can’t get them to budge? Has anyone else had any success? Any tips please.

cheers.

Hi Michael,

As they are RP25.110 they will be a bit too tight as you find, we recommend RP25.88s for EM which should just drop in. A bit of sanding down of the collars will also help.

Cheers!

Fran

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Sometimes we have to hold our hands up and say we got things a bit wrong. We were sure the HUOs were withdrawn in mid 1986. However, @Patrick came across this image showing the TOPS coded HUOs very hard at work still in July 1987, featuring large logo Grid power at Winning! Phhwwoooarrr is all I can say! Great image by David Ford. So, like the cemflos, the HUOs lasted into the mid-late 80s, perfect for having something a bit different alongside air and vac braked stock for operational interest! 

a Winning 56134 6th July 87 C8635

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Sometimes we have to hold our hands up and say we got things a bit wrong. We were sure the HUOs were withdrawn in mid 1986. However, @Patrick came across this image showing the TOPS coded HUOs very hard at work still in July 1987, featuring large logo Grid power at Winning! Phhwwoooarrr is all I can say! Great image by David Ford. So, like the cemflos, the HUOs lasted into the mid-late 80s, perfect for having something a bit different alongside air and vac braked stock for operational interest! 

Cheers!

Fran

The last working was Lynemouth to West Blyth with house coal for Ireland!

After withdrawl there was a number of them sent to Bolsover Coalite for Internal Use!

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have just bought the TOPS HUOs on the wagon bundle deal.  As highlighted elsewhere the wagons are amazing and I am well impressed.  The bundle represents excellent value especially as each wagon is uniquely decorated.

The service from the team at Accurascale has also been great.  Thanks guys and keep up the good work.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Since all the TOPS packs (F - K) are sold out on Accurascale's website, folks may be interested to know that TMC still have these and now are selling them at a bargain price of £47.95 per pack.

That's just over £15 per wagon, a steal for these super models!!!

Cameron 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/12/2020 at 16:40, Mophead45143 said:

Since all the TOPS packs (F - K) are sold out on Accurascale's website, folks may be interested to know that TMC still have these and now are selling them at a bargain price of £47.95 per pack.

Cameron 

And for those that have looked at TMC before and found what they wanted sold out, some seem to be back in stock. I wanted TOPS Packs J & K but there was no K available last week - now listed again.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2020 at 16:40, Mophead45143 said:

Cameron 

Thanks for the heads up, especially as the latest batch has a higher rrp of 69.95.  just got four packs on the way at a great price, to go with the three cemhops i got black friday, so saved over 100 quid! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 09/07/2019 at 11:14, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Fran

Hi All,

After purchasing the Accurascale PCA's, PFA's & PTA's, I finally had the opportunity to invest in some their HUO hoppers (packs H, J x 2 & K).

After all, my modelling interest is from 1986 so I can just about get away with this.

These wagons arrived on Friday & all I can say is wow.... As we have come to expect the detail is incredible.

I have now ordered the Accurascale loads to compliment these wagons & once received will just need to weather these to represent the 'beaten up' appearance as they approached the end of the careers.

I have the brake van sorted but what to run up top?

A brace of blue class twenty's, a blue class 37 or alternatively the class 56 in blue with large logo (similar to the image that Fran shared from @Patrick shown above).

Anyone else have any photo's from 1986 on that they could share showing diesel traction hauling these impressive wagons?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CB Rail
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have a question regarding the HUO models, please.

I am looking to fit working 3-link couplings to mine and having removed the tension lock coupler itself, I need to remove the NEM coupling housing at either end of the wagon, in such a way as not to affect any of the rest of the detail on the wagon.

Is there a straightforward way to remove these, without (a) significant dismantling of the wagon or (b) resorting to wholesale butchery?

Many thanks.

As a very young 2nd man at Coalville I have memories of the HUO's in long rakes working into Drakelow A&B power station, two thoughts occur. It's possible to mix in the odd MEO and the ex vac braked conversions were rare (approx 1 in 30) in a rake of 45, max load for a pair of type 1's. The most mixed trains were those from the pithead to a yard(Toton most likely) where you can just about have any coal related wagon in the same train, incl HAA/HEA combo's. Class 56 on class 9 trains was very much a NE thing. From memory the LM banned them on anything other than AB trains, the straight airbrake was quite sharp. Here a couple of pictures of mixed formation coal trains found, Willington , Beeston and Drakelow A&B are the locations.

Willington and a real mix and match.

Class 20s meet on the entrance to Willington Power Station during the mid 1970s. I Cuthbertson collection

Another mixed bag passing Beeston 

20070_1979_05_Beeston

CEGB loco shunting the tipple at Drakelow

Drakelow Power Station

Finally NCB loco entering Bagworth exchange sidings from Ellistown pit, an 08 was regularly on hire here.

Bagworth

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...