TOPS HUO Hoppers Now Available

• RMweb Gold

post-7114-0-43567900-1539705751_thumb.jpg

We had a delivery this morning; the TOPS and NCB packs of our HUOs are now in stock!!

We have ploughed through pre-orders this afternoon and those of you who pre-ordered them in the UK will receive them before the end of the week! 

Thanks for the support as ever.

Fran

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Managed to snap a few pics of them myself this morning!

Pack F

post-7114-0-11340100-1539861769_thumb.jpg

Pack G

post-7114-0-61796800-1539861799_thumb.jpg

Pack H

post-7114-0-00342100-1539861817_thumb.jpg

Pack I

post-7114-0-50925300-1539861841_thumb.jpg

Pack J

post-7114-0-88132000-1539861865_thumb.jpg

Pack K

post-7114-0-98741800-1539862009_thumb.jpg

I'm biased of course, but I think they look pretty cool! In stock now and selling well, so don't miss out if you like the 73-87 period! :)

Cheers,

Fran

Edited by 071
  • Like 4

Mine have arrived.... wow, they are superb. Now to get to work? Or delay until current project is done and enjoy the weathering process at my leisure? Fran don't forget you need a brake van along with your Blue 20s or you'll be going somewhere very fast! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

These puppies have been selling fast, but havent seen many TOPS weathered ones yet. Anyone got any pics of them to share?

We will of course have these and the remainder of our (low running) pre TOPS stock for sale on our stand at Warley. Make sure you stop by for a look, and bring your wallet too! :)

Cheers,

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't started to weather mine yet but here is the first of two projects that should be finished over the next couple of weeks and hopefully will be of interest:

Diagram 1/148 lot 2609. One of the first 498 built, given LNER style clasp brakes on each wheelset and centre V hangers.

One side

post-7112-0-64627700-1542816228_thumb.jpg

the other

post-7112-0-99270100-1542816229_thumb.jpg

I gave extra light to try and pick out the brake gear, hopefully it is reasonably clear, it still needs renumbering in the series B333002 - B333499. Brake levers, V hangers and oil axle box covers from spare Parkside sprues, clasp brakes from Hornby 21t hoppers. Probably about 4 hours in total and I've another three of these to do but the first one always takes the longest.

Now if the folks at Accurascale were watching my recent purchases they'd would know that I bought two more of Pack H in the last couple of weeks. Four of these wagons will be lot 2609 as above, the other two (with oleo buffers) will be the second project in the pipeline.

Diagram 1/153, lot numbers 3315 and 3345, 250 wagons built in total with through vacuum disc brakes on the right hand wheel (for each side). I've purchased some of Paul Bartlett's photos plus another kindly given by Poor Old Bruce of this parish and there is also a drawing in David Monk-Steel's book on MGRs.

I'll be on holiday for a week in a couple of weeks time. I should be able to scratch build some disc brake gear and move the V hangers (plus add some bauxite paint) by the end of the first week of December and I'll post some photos then.

• Like 2

What are your plans for the rest of your Hornby XX now it has lost its brake gear ?

Mark Saunders

You don't miss a trick do you!

I've added some very basic brake gear (from Parkside bits) to the first wagon I chopped so I could resell it at a knockdown price. If you, or anyone else, has a use for XX hoppers with no brake blocks or linkage (the brake handles and everything else are still intact) then I'm sure I can do a bargain deal. There will be eight in total but I don't think I'll get the last four until my Birthday at the start of December.

You don't miss a trick do you!

I've added some very basic brake gear (from Parkside bits) to the first wagon I chopped so I could resell it at a knockdown price. If you, or anyone else, has a use for XX hoppers with no brake blocks or linkage (the brake handles and everything else are still intact) then I'm sure I can do a bargain deal. There will be eight in total but I don't think I'll get the last four until my Birthday at the start of December.

PM me about a price please?

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Now he's practiced, you could offer his services free to anyone buying rake bundles!  It would keep him out of mischief......

Were I to spend my days weathering stock, I'd not get the time to do the CAD for Sambo/Fell/Turfburner and all manner of froth inducing models.

Chicken and Fell*

RM

I meant *Egg

Well as promised I spent most of yesterday afternoon and evening making some disc brake gear for a diagram 1/153 hopper. This work of fiction is my interpretation from the photos I have so is solely meant to simulate the brake gear and may well be completely wrong!

First of all an overall view. The push brake gear is the original parts with the V hanger and lever being moved to the left and the brake rigging being shortened. The back of the middle discharge handle block needs to be thinned to solebar width so the brake lever can pass behind it. The vacuum pipe should be on this side and all this batch were initially painted (and remained) bauxite.

1839476320_HUODia153.JPG.8e2dd9340815099b9d897c9aa58a0f1e.JPG

I've made two sets of disc brake gear but so far only fitted one so I can remember what I did with the next two sets. This photo shows a close up with the crude support bracket pointing vertically.

1150025809_Closeupofdiscbrakegear.JPG.f3d7f0a353aaac2dd74533a80f4c86fe.JPG

Finally my production line of bits. Luckily I'm only making two wagons of this variety, converting a whole rake for the Southern Region late 1960s workings would probably drive most people insane. The parts for the disc brake clasp are cut to length, drilled and then cut to width. The middle of the three is double the width of the outer two hence one drilled and one plain part (both glued together then drilled through the second part). The L angle is Evergreen 2 mm I beam with three of the flanges removed.

552422992_Partsrequired.JPG.c7fce2b6a655a3f9445255e35043ca23.JPG

Edit: I've now worked out how to take the bodies off so that's a coat of bauxite now sorted on two wagons. Insert a thin screw driver between body and chassis (between the wheelset and body end) and carefully twist to release the end body catches. Some subtle maneuvering is needed to release the middle hopper discharge wire. In addition, I reckon that adding the disc brake gear to the chassis with the body removed will now be a lot easier.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After posting with the first disc brake conversion my central heating (and hot water) decided to fail a week last Friday. After having a week of waking up or returning home to 13 degrees in the house (increasing to 17 degrees in one room with a fan heater) modelling has managed to recommence this weekend.

This first photo shows three models of B334423 from pack H. The left hand model is as bought (except for couplings) the other two are each side of the two disc brake conversions, the vacuum pipe still needs to be added to one side of each of these. The middle wagon is the first conversion after respray - bauxite certainly changes their appearance.

249543997_samemodel(2).JPG.7e2224670808ac1f495b1a99bfed1d14.JPG

As an aside here is a comparison of all three brake types. The left hand is the clasp brake wagon after its repaint and numbering, the middle one is as made by Accurascale and the right hand one is the disc brake conversion.

169504541_3xHUO(2).JPG.b3795fcce67bd2a29d1af864de6c91c4.JPG

I've left the disc brake details unpainted for clarity in each of these photos but they will be getting a coat of matt black paint pretty soon. I hope these are of interest, just two more clasp brake wagons to do now (with some numbering) and then I can think about weathering all thirty three of them (eeekk!)

(Photos edited to reduce yellow tinge from kitchen light).

Edited by Flood
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 months later...