Locomotion Models - updates and new coaching stock.

Andy Y

It's not easy being a troll. Hiding under a woodland bridge up the mountain, building computers all day, waiting for a Princess to pass by and kiss such an ogre to turn me into a competent railway modeler. In desperation started a Dimension3D 6-wheeler. Steep learning curve. Fun, though. Carriage side photo attached, teaked. Just thought I'd push the point that you can do more than you think and constructive criticism is welcome. Non-constructive criticism will be like water off a troll's back. We're thick in mind and skin you know. Who said there's nothing to haul behind a Stirling Single?

It takes more than a couple of sides a coach to make. Good luck with the chassis. And the paint and lining.

You're still a long way off having anything for even Smokey Joe to pull. Maybe your peerless sarcasm and smugness will speed your progress?

• RMweb Premium

I am always surprised that you can visit the NRM free of charge.

It is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT that ANY museum to be financially supported by the Government Department Culture Media & Sport (DCMS) via a regular yearly grant that it MUST NOT charge for general under ANY circumstances.

These include the following 16 entities (which can of course be subdivided further - e.g. The Science Museum group incudes the NRM) :-

The British Library

British Museum

Geffrye Museum

Horniman Museum

Imperial War Museum

National Gallery

National Portrait Gallery

Natural History Museum

National Museums Liverpool

Royal Armouries

Royal Museums Greenwich

Science Museum Group

Sir John Soane’s Museum

Tate Group

V&A

Wallace Collection.

This is separate from museums which may receive one off grants from the department for specific projects - who can charge admission if they wish (though this will of course be taken into account by the department when evaluating applications for official support).

It is permissible for extra charges to be made occasionally for temporary exhibitions or 'add ons' like motion simulators at DCMS supported museums - but the core collection must always be free of charge.

This of course pushes museums to seek other ways of boosting funding (particularly given the sustained Government cuts as each year the grant reduces once inflation is factored in) resulting in bigger shops, more eating / drinking opportunities, donation boxes scattered liberally through the building etc.

Last year the DCMS conducted a strategic review, which can be found here https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/673938/Strategic_review_of_DCMS-sponsored_museums.pdf

As such, even if the NRM wanted to introduce admission charges, they are bared from doing so until the residents of the 'Palace of Westminster' decide they want to permit it via legislation. If you think that admission charges are the way forward (and I say that in all seriousness, because there are indeed vaid arguments to be made for such a position) then you had better get writing to your MP / the Minister in charge of the DCMS - NOT the NRM.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps that’s why those manufacturers are in the red , sold out, bankruptcy, and now in 2018 one world renown high street name has announced they are exciting the HO scale market after several decades ?

That's not quite the whole story is it? I presume that you are talking about Fleischmann.

As I understand it Fleischmann and Roco are part of the same group and to me it seems a good idea that the owners separate the brands and Roco concentrate on H0 (and maybe TT) and Fleischmann concentrate on N.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

That's not quite the whole story is it? I presume that you are talking about Fleischmann.

As I understand it Fleischmann and Roco are part of the same group and to me it seems a good idea that the owners separate the brands and Roco concentrate on H0 (and maybe TT) and Fleischmann concentrate on N.

Keith

Ah but is it expansion, or consolidation ?

there’s a lot of overlap in the ranges, which are no longer competing.

Edited by adb968008

Are you quite sure those are not really the handrails of your bridge, Mr. Troll?

No handrails on my bridge, Mr Martin S-C, otherwise I can't push the billy goats into the raging torrent.

Coach sides not so good, huh?

Never mind, I'm enjoying the journey and, hey, why else would I put my shabby efforts on show?

So many skills to attempt

I'M LOVIN' IT

don't worry, you won't upset me, that's the one thing that gets better with age :)

The coach sides look great to me and are certainly better than I could do, having never been near a 3D kit yet.

I tried Googling "Dimension3D models" but soon found myself looking at computer generated images of curvaceous young ladies and thinking "...those don't look like GNR 6-wheelers".

Have you a link to the ...ahem... more railway-related pages where you got your 3D sides?

The coach sides look great to me and are certainly better than I could do, having never been near a 3D kit yet.

I tried Googling "Dimension3D models" but soon found myself looking at computer generated images of curvaceous young ladies and thinking "...those don't look like GNR 6-wheelers".

Have you a link to the ...ahem... more railway-related pages where you got your 3D sides?

Sorry Martin S-C it must be my age. Or strong drink. Or even the thought of curvaceous young ladies but I should have typed Diagram3D.

They are laser cut multi layer cardboard, a whole new box of fishplates. Mike Trice has produced a wonderful thread on building them, modifying his approach as he goes along so it's worth reading right through. 

By the way, how three dimensional were the young ladies? Purely out of interest.

Sorry Martin S-C it must be my age. Or strong drink. Or even the thought of curvaceous young ladies but I should have typed Diagram3D.

They are laser cut multi layer cardboard, a whole new box of fishplates. Mike Trice has produced a wonderful thread on building them, modifying his approach as he goes along so it's worth reading right through. 

By the way, how three dimensional were the young ladies? Purely out of interest.

Thanks, I will check that name. In the morning. When my strength has recovered...

There were some very splendid ones but Broad Gauge that broad isn't my thing.

Just google "Dimension3D models", its one of the first two or three links, the ones with the 'click here' button now a bit worn out. No idea why.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've received my Stirling Single but have not yet received the mailing enclosing the details of the possible coaching stock for the Stirling. In the meantime I've played around with the loco hauling some (Hornby) Gresley mainline teaks but somehow it didn't look right.

Decided to get out some of my German K.Bay.Sts.B 3-axle coaches and see how they looked:

post-586-0-24349700-1533211265.jpg

I think these coaches look much better than the big bogie Gresley teaks. Keeping my fingers crossed that whatever Locomotion produce is going to produce is something similar to the above coaches.

Keith

• Like 3

Just had a letter from Locomotion enclosing replacement coupling chains for the Stirling single and saying "we hope to make a formal announcement regarding matching GNR coaches later in the year."

Peterfgf

Wow. That is excellent news.

Paul

BTW there is not just coaches to go behind the single that is on our wishlist. And the national collection is more that just steam and diesel locos and we do have some very interesting ideas for the coming years. One thing that I would like to gauge some interest in is the possibilty of buildings as part of the collection but the only buildings that I have come up with at the moment are some of our historic buildings on site at Locomotion such as the coal drops or soho house where Timothy Hackworth lived.

Regards

Stuart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the wish list idea. Maybe with a poll to. Might be a good way to gauge interest

Big James

I vote for the full set rtr replica of the Newcastle Diamond crossing, all tracks as a 1 piece moulding :-)

On a more serious note:

A better than average goods shed could be interesting

Borough market signal box may be of interest considering the plethora of SECR rolling stock of late.

If thinking wild.. how about Euston Arch ?

Edited by adb968008

I received my letter long after the locomotive. A questionnaire is included, the last question being, “Please let us know what you would like to see from Locomotionmodels.com in the future:”

I wonder how many will respond: “Please see the three pages attached.”

BTW there is not just coaches to go behind the single that is on our wishlist. And the national collection is more that just steam and diesel locos and we do have some very interesting ideas for the coming years. One thing that I would like to gauge some interest in is the possibilty of buildings as part of the collection but the only buildings that I have come up with at the moment are some of our historic buildings on site at Locomotion such as the coal drops or soho house where Timothy Hackworth lived.

Regards

Stuart

Shildon Signal Box

Do a segment of a roundhouse that can be added as parts needed. Like 1/8th or 1/4 and buy as many as needed. 

How about some decent bridges for over a river, road etc. A decent viaduct kit where you can add parts would sell I think...

Problem with buildings is that you need a range to model a scene. Hence lots of calls for areas like a shed or station for a particular area. 

With regards for future releases - can the NRM please do something steam for the home region that Locomotion Museum is from? Aerolite and M1/D17 would be my suggestions for that... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The GNR coaches are going to be interesting for sure.

Just two questions which will be answered on the day no doubt:

1/ will they be suitable to go behind the GNR C1 Atlantic? (meaning 12 wheels rather than 4/6 wheelers)

2/ Cost? (I don't fancy Dynamometer prices for each coach in a rake).

I've run some tests with the single. I can get 4 modern Hornby pullmans up minor inclines with slight slipping (5 kills it but only once all coaches hit the incline), so a rake of 3 bogies sounds about right.

The GNR coaches are going to be interesting for sure.

Just two questions which will be answered on the day no doubt:

1/ will they be suitable to go behind the GNR C1 Atlantic? (meaning 12 wheels rather than 4/6 wheelers)

2/ Cost? (I don't fancy Dynamometer prices for each coach in a rake).

I've run some tests with the single. I can get 4 modern Hornby pullmans up minor inclines with slight slipping (5 kills it but only once all coaches hit the incline), so a rake of 3 bogies sounds about right.

I would love to see the big clerestory 12-wheelers, an sell a close relative to buy some

Sadly a rake RTR would probably be unrealistic.  There is probably insufficient commonalty to keep tooling costs within reasonable bounds (a problem that may face GW toplights, too). They would be very expensive and probably not sell in sufficient numbers. Locomotion would need to be convinced of success, but so too would a manufacturing partner.  I daresay their day will come, but I do not think the market has evolved to the level of maturity necessary to make these viable.   

Plus, is there one in the National Collection?

There are a number of preserved  6-wheelers knocking about, and they are probably a less daunting prospect. Choose the right diagrams and you might be able to produce them in ECJS, GNR and, even, M&GN guises.

I think these would sell in the current market, but also help to evolve it so that other releases could be contemplated in the future, including GN and ECJS bogie stock. 

• Like 1