MIdland 3835 Class Livery

One of the 'classic' 0 scale makers has announced production of a selection of 4F, including the early Midland version, 3835 Class, in red livery.

I'm struggling to imagine this livery being correct, but know nothing of the Midland, and would be interested to know whether it is, or isn't, prototypical.

The model is to be numbered 4328, in case that is relevant.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Almost certainly grey, rather than crimson though. Nice photo anyway!

It's worth noting (for those unaware) that in an age where photography was unreliable / expensive, it was custom for railway companies to paint locos in various shades of grey as it it showed the details up better when so printed than the real colours would.

Edited by phil-b259

One of the 'classic' 0 scale makers has announced production of a selection of 4F, including the early Midland version, 3835 Class, in red livery.

I'm struggling to imagine this livery being correct, but know nothing of the Midland, and would be interested to know whether it is, or isn't, prototypical.

The model is to be numbered 4328, in case that is relevant.

The 'Midland' 4Fs were right-hand drive, as were the early builds of 'LMS' locos. Later locos were left-hand drive. MR locos had second-hand Johnson tenders until they were swapped for fowler tenders off withdrawn Austin Sevens. 4328 was one of a batch built at St. Rollox in 1928 so it may or may not have had the number on the tender and was a RH drive loco. The 4Fs were always plain black with red buffer beams.

• Like 1

Hmmmm ....... seems as if my suspicion was correct.

Even odder that they’ve chosen to number it as an LMS- built one.

Their research is usually good, so I’m now wondering if one has been painted red in preservation, and they’ve consciously based it on that.

I shall have to ask The Man who will know.

The black midland livery is quite nice, so a slight pity they aren’t doing that.

• Like 1